Realistic selling price of my TLX

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Realistic selling price of my TLX

I have been contemplating trading or selling my TLX for the last month or so and am wondering what a realistic asking price would be for me to sell it privately. I know trade-in values are not great. I like my TLX quite a bit, but feel like I'd enjoy a new Nissan Maxima more. IMO, it has more (and better) features than my TLX and, to me, the Maxima is equal to or better looking. I like a sporty looking car that stands out a little, but not too much. And I think the Maxima fits the bill. I've driven it and like the way it drives too. Now, back to my TLX.....

I've got a 4 cyl 2015 bellanova/espresso TLX tech with only 7,000 miles. I had the clear bra protectant material professionally installed on the front bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors immediately after buying the car, as well as Opticoat Pro professionally installed last year too; so the car literally is perfect. It has no blemishes of any kind at all!

KBB lists my TLX at $29,9XX if I sell it privately. Is that realistic? If I take that amount and add some of the $1,400 I paid for the clear bra and Opticoat, I'm looking at an asking price above $30,000. I don't know if that's going to happen, unless I find someone who wants MY EXACT used car. I feel those chances aren't good.

I'm thinking that I may have to wait a bit for depreciation on my TLX to level off a bit. But if I could get KBB plus a little extra (for the extras and condition of my car), I'd be tempted. I also understand that Acura is still discounting new TLX's also, so that may limit my realistic selling price too. What are your thoughts?
Old 06-08-2016, 12:19 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
you can try adding the extra money that you spent ontop of the KBB value....but likely wont fly
OF COURSE, sellers want to get their money back, but thats not how it works.

its only worth what some one is willing to pay for it.
what differentiates yours from a lower asking price, if mileage is same?
Old 06-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Here in LA a used 4cyl tech with low miles goes for about 28-30 Private Party

Ooooooohh whats opti coat? Sounds like something I need since I have 3 rock chips already!
Old 06-08-2016, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by spoiler900
Here in LA a used 4cyl tech with low miles goes for about 28-30 Private Party

Ooooooohh whats opti coat? Sounds like something I need since I have 3 rock chips already!
high tech polymer ceramic sealing coat
Old 06-08-2016, 12:44 PM

a rock will still penetrate through this "wax"
Old 06-08-2016, 12:56 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Your main problem is you'd be going up against similar cars at the dealer being sold as CPO, meaning extended warranty and the financing/flexibility of buying from a dealer...
Old 06-08-2016, 01:00 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Yep... CPO TLX's are going for the same price so it'll be a tough sell.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:38 PM
Racer

I understand all of the comments and agree, too. It will be a tough sale at that price. As Justin said, my only advantage is low mileage, and new condition. If mileage is the same, I would still insist that my car is in better condition than any CPO. My care, combined with the clear bra and Opticoat have done wonders for the car.
I've never had both the bra and Opticoat installed on a car before, but I am a true believer now. It's expensive, but worth it to protect the condition of the car. Too bad I spent all that $$ on it and now I want to sell it.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 01:44 PM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
Well, most CPO cars are ex loaners, so your right about yours most likely being in better shape and being handled by one owner. The main thing with CPO is the extended powertrain warranty to 7yr/100k miles and the additional 1yr/12k mile bumper to bumper.
Old 06-08-2016, 01:45 PM

List it and see if any bites!
Old 06-08-2016, 04:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
List it and see if any bites!
I may just do that! I listed it 2 days ago locally on CR, but that was free. I'm thinking about paying to list it on autotrader.com.
....Unless someone on this site would like to buy it ??
Old 06-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by bsprinker
I may just do that! I listed it 2 days ago locally on CR, but that was free. I'm thinking about paying to list it on autotrader.com.
....Unless someone on this site would like to buy it ??
If you are going to post a question like that you need to post your sale thread in the Cars For Sale Forum.

Please check out the rules or other threads so you can submit it in the proper format.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Racer

Yeah. Obviously my statement/question was made in jest, so everyone can relax. Should I decide to actually make a serious attempt to sell it through Acurazine, I will certainly post in the for-sale section, as I have done in the past.
I think My intentions for the comment were obvious by the multiple question marks posted, but maybe not. I am not that kind of member here where I bend or break the rules. Point taken.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:17 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Those number seem high. I got a quote for $31k + TTL/accessories for brand new 4 cyl TLX Tech. The $31k included destination. I'm guessing thats a decent quote? This was an end of month quote.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:46 AM
Racer

I'd say $31k + for a new TLX tech is an outstanding quote!! If you're in the market, you should jump in that if it's your #1 color choice. Those kinds of discounts aren't available in my area, so my local prices seems to be a bit higher than your quote. The couple of CPO's in my area are priced at or above $31k with higher miles than my TLX has.
Before I fully commit and sink money into selling my car, I might try to rent a Maxima for the day or two just to confirm my itch for it. Thank you for the responses.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
25k if you want to sell.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Have you tried talking trade in with Nissan?
Old 06-09-2016, 12:57 PM
Racer

I have talked trade in with one Nissan dealer. I stopped at a local Nissan dealership about one month ago and received a pretty low trade-in value. And since I wasn't "ready to buy today", according to them, the value they quoted me was low.
The salesman told me if/when I was serious, that trade-in number could increase, but it wasn't close enough to what I wanted to even debate. We were more than $3k apart, and at that time I wasn't fully prepared to negotiate.
Looking back, it could've been my best opportunity, but I didn't have the numbers straight in my mind yet. My fault....
Old 06-09-2016, 01:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
25k if you want to sell.
Obviously, I can not and will not respond to your statement because this thread is not a "for-sale" thread, but I can say that my trade-in offer last month at a local Nissan dealership was higher than the number in your post.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

i am not asking to you sell or anything.

But it's a 2015 and it's used regardless the low mileage. Some people reported getting the 2016 brand new for few thousand more. In most cases, a CPO 2015 4 cylinders costs less than 30k and comes with extended warranty.

i am just saying if you want to sell quick you may want to reconsider the asking price because the longer you wait the more it depreciates.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Think you are in for an unpleasant shock when selling this car. The opticoat is most likely worth zero.

Bought a Mazda CX5GT for my granddaughter yesterday & it had the ZURICK coating on it. Once we got to the bottom line as far as the dealer was concerned I said lose the Coating & nitrogen fill &its a deal, will take it home today otherwise I am walking.

Magically these two items disappeared from the numbers even though the stayed on the sticker.

Your best bet is to bring the car to CARMAX for a cash offer & see what the number is. Your selling price if you don't give it to them is just under their number.

Generally the only time this is wrong is if you luck out & have just what a specific buyer wants.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
BTW The trade-in value from the Nissan dealer has no value unless it was against a kow OTD selling price for the MAXIMA.

He can give you a feel-good trade-in number by just adjusting the OTD price upward.
Old 06-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Unless you can do an even trade for the Maxima, meaning no cost to you, then financially speaking you should keep your car. The 2016 Maxima will depreciate even faster than the Acura based on past leasing residual values. That is the financial common sense person speaking. Or if you have a million dollars or more of net worth sitting around, a few thousand doesn't matter on a trade-in. So keep the TLX for 10 years unless a life circumstance happens and you have sextuplets or something. My advice is free and similar to any financial talk show host like Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard would say. Though most people don't follow it and have the need it now complex. Good luck
Old 06-10-2016, 09:52 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
To get to your question, the clear bra will not really add much to the price you can sell your car for. Wholesale value for your car is a touch below $28k in excellent condition and dealerships will likely sell it for $30k to $32k. Privately, you will probably get $29k on the higher end, but also, keep the following in mind:

-If you don't own the car outright (ie you have a lien or it's leased), that will make selling privately that much harder...
-Most people will need financing for $30k - From what I know about auto financing (correct me if I'm wrong) most lenders like to go through dealerships
-If people are paying cash for a ~$30k car, they are likely very cheap and looking to score a deal by buying private party... Not pay top dollar
-It's an Acura TLX... Honda sold 60k 2015 TLX's - It's not a rare car - I can probably find any color and trim combo I desire at reputable dealerships in my area that are similar to yours, which unfortunately means that it will be hard to find a buyer willing to pay top dollar for yours.
-You're profile says you're in Pittsburgh - With some quick googling, it looks like PA's sales tax rate is 6%. It also seems that in PA, if you trade in a car for a new one, you only pay sales tax for the difference. Assuming you trade-in the TLX to the Nissan dealership for $28k, you will save $1680 on sales tax on the Maxima. Paying tax on only the difference of your trade and your new car, especially because the TLX isn't a $400 clunker, you will likely want to just trade in to the dealer... you will save money with taxes and not deal with people low balling you and people looking for a joy ride

*verify the trade-in tax credit info - That is from my quick googling, I have never lived nor bought a car in PA
Old 06-10-2016, 12:51 PM
Racer

hues10 & CTNYC, thank you for your thoughtful replies. Those and many of the other replies have made a lot of sense to me and have been very beneficial to my thought process.

My idea of selling my TLX via private party are optimistic, yes. Ideally, I'd like to find a local buyer that will agree to complete our sales agreement at the dealership where I'm buying the Nissan Maxima. The dealership would then handle all of the transfer paperwork and financing paperwork, and allow me to complete a courtesy trade of my TLX in order to reduce the sales taxes on the Maxima. I know this is optimistic. However; I have done this two other times, and it worked great in both instances. I sold my car for more money than previously offered on trade, and I received the sales tax break in the process of buying my new car. Maybe hoping for a third successful similar deal is too much to ask for, but I am hoping to find the right buyer again.

I also understand that trading/selling my TLX for the Maxima might not be the best financial decision as well. But we are all on this forum because we love cars...all different cars. And some of us are willing to pay a little more money, or loss a little more money (on depreciation) in order to drive our favorite car for the next couple/few years. I have spent lots of time thinking about the decision to trade, and I know it's not the best financial decision I can make. But if I can find the right buyer and get the right deal on a Maxima, I'm willing to limit my losses and get the car I will be happiest driving!
Old 06-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Racer

I wish the best of luck to you - I haven't thought about having the dealership facilitate the deal - seems like they would want a commission for that service (or make enough on the new Maxima to do it for you). I guess I'm just cheap when it comes to buying/selling cars, but I do care more about my finances than I do about cars (to an extent ).

If you get the new Maxima, enjoy it! The last gen Maxima had so much potential, IMO, but the CVT killed it... I don't rent cars weekly anymore, so I haven't had the chance to drive most of the newer models that rental companies buy thousands of, but I've heard very good things about the Maxima.
bsprinker (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
TLX resale is one of the worst of any TL I have seen. I have always been able to resell my TL's usually in 2 years and get close to what I owed (I never put money down and finance 60-66 months) Fortunately I leased my TLX and will not have to worry bout it's poor resale. KBB is a guide, NADA is more accurate and Black book even better as it shows the current auction prices as most dealers will just auction the car. As for Private Party, that is always a crap shoot, you may find someone that doe snot research much so then you just need to be in the ballpark of other ads, or you will find someone that will waste your time and nickel and dime you for every ding, nick and wrinkle the car has thinking they are buying a new car. Dealers want a cut as they have to process the transaction and dela with any legal BS so they tend to shy away from doing it.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:40 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by CTNYC
-If people are paying cash for a ~$30k car, they are likely very cheap .......
?????
Old 06-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
The only reason I would buy private party cars is cheaper prices. Plus I can get cheaper financing from dealers than private party sales.

So for me, if you list your car the same or close to dealers' price, I would never consider yours.
Old 06-11-2016, 11:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by csmeance:
bsprinker (06-12-2016), rockstar143 (06-12-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 07:23 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Looks like meaningful data, csmeance. As I recall, Black Book values are very realistic. I remember when we traded a Cadillac CTS several years ago that the dealers offer was below KBB and NADA, but about equal to Black Book.

Anyway, thanks for the info.
csmeance (06-13-2016)
Old 06-12-2016, 07:36 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
He always has meaningful posts...
if you're unhappy with your car, OP, don't let a few grand stand in the way of getting out of it before depreciation really bites. It's just money...just be sure whatever you're getting into is worth it to you, and get GAP insurance.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
I've never seen that before, what site is that?
Old 06-12-2016, 10:05 AM

Probably one he pays money for as someone that buys and/or sells cars...
Old 06-13-2016, 08:12 AM
Racer

That black book trade price is actually higher than I thought it would be. Thank u for that valuable info. I certainly will be better informed if I try to trade it in now.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wlkeel
?????
Might be just me (and/or the people I know who are fairly wealthy) - People who are looking to buy a used 2015 TLX is likely trying to save money. People buying cash will probably be trying to get a steal (maximizing their savings). Generally, I have found people who have acquired a lot of wealth on their own are some of the cheapest people I now.

Bsprinkler and all others who are interested in Blackbook

Black Book Weekly Values Lite

You're welcome
The following 4 users liked this post by CTNYC:
bsprinker (06-14-2016), csmeance (06-13-2016), hadokenuh (06-13-2016), nist7 (11-03-2016)
Old 06-15-2016, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Keep in mind that the 2015 TLX was clouded with the tranny issue and potential buyers tend to use that as a negotiating point.

Plus the extended warranty from the dealer vs private seller
Old 11-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Racer

Just wanted to provide a quick update.....I ended up trading the TLX in August for a slightly used 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum. I love the Maxima!! It is everything I was hoping the TLX would be.
I ended up taking an enormous hit trading the TLX, but I was very lucky to find a great deal on the Maxima. Otherwise, I'd probably still be looking. My ownership of the Maxima over the last 3 months has been an absolute joy. I love the looks, the drive (a bit sporty), the power and the features blow away the features on my old TLX tech. I've never owned a Nissan before, but I am smitten by this car so far.
The following 2 users liked this post by bsprinker:
nist7 (11-03-2016), rockstar143 (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 07:27 PM

!!!
Old 11-03-2016, 07:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by bsprinker
Just wanted to provide a quick update.....I ended up trading the TLX in August for a slightly used 2016 Nissan Maxima Platinum. I love the Maxima!! It is everything I was hoping the TLX would be.
I ended up taking an enormous hit trading the TLX, but I was very lucky to find a great deal on the Maxima. Otherwise, I'd probably still be looking. My ownership of the Maxima over the last 3 months has been an absolute joy. I love the looks, the drive (a bit sporty), the power and the features blow away the features on my old TLX tech. I've never owned a Nissan before, but I am smitten by this car so far.
Awesome!

Now:

Quick Reply: Realistic selling price of my TLX