PLEASE ACURA, make an A-Spec/S-Type for 2016......

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 10:24 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
PLEASE ACURA, make an A-Spec/S-Type for 2016......

Hopefully they do make a "sport version" with bolstered seats, thigh support, visible exhaust, real aluminum trim, LED fogs, tuned suspension, inspiring wheels, nicer gauges, body color outside moldings, and last but not least a turbo 6 (I know that may be a stretch, but the others should have been made available immediately.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:32 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by sincitytsx
Hopefully they do make a "sport version" with bolstered seats, thigh support, visible exhaust, real aluminum trim, LED fogs, tuned suspension, inspiring wheels, nicer gauges, body color outside moldings, and last but not least a turbo 6 (I know that may be a stretch, but the others should have been made available immediately.

i'm all for those suggestions but Acura needs to be really careful here. most likely an A-Spec (Type S is not realistic until MMC imo) would add $2000 to the prices across the board, there would be better options out there with the higher price.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:40 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Sad to say, I don't see that happening.

I agree with Kev. You add those options you will be looking around 2-3k more. With the V6 advance already pushing around 43k right?
Old 05-21-2015, 11:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Flipster23
Sad to say, I don't see that happening.

I agree with Kev. You add those options you will be looking around 2-3k more. With the V6 advance already pushing around 43k right?
I would expect a Type-S to push the $45-50K barrier...
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (05-21-2015)
Old 05-21-2015, 11:53 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I would expect a Type-S to push the $45-50K barrier...
Base RLX for 48k.

Advanced for 60k.

Then take into consideration what you can get out there for 50k, (non Acura)
Old 05-21-2015, 12:28 PM
There are four lights!

Received 215 Likes on 124 Posts
I would be happy if they added the aero kit, spoiler and 19" wheels to the Elite/Advance package for the 2016 model with a modest price bump. That would make the TLX A-Spec-ish enough for me.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I's like to see the aero kit integrated into the bumpers, not stuck on. A real A-Spec would be nice and would help the brand a lot.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Sadly, I doubt it will happen for 2016. I could see 2017.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:56 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I def see a Type S coming but like others have said.... Not until later. I think if/when they do it, they will only do it on an SH model and if it does cost upper 45-50 there is nothing wrong with that. You can't compare it to a RL at that price point. An RL won't come equip the same at that price or will it have the same purpose in the Acura line up. I think they should do it just to bring that sport thunder back to Acura. I think the TLX is more luxury than sport(which I like) but a type S will bring back that Sport to add to the luxury..... As to what I would like to see in a type S....

-HUD
-Manual option(even though I would stick with an automatic)
-Tail Pipes
-19 inch wheels standard.... Option for 20's(maybe...)
-Power folding mirrors
-Power Steering wheel
-A-spec option(please an option cause I wouldn't want it but it would be cool just to have an option)

I think that is all..... I think this is realistic options.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
It would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Since the TL changed classes to a Luxury Sedan from Sports Sedan, I don't see it in the cards.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would also be sweet if they also had the athletic red pearl color as per the prototype!
Old 05-21-2015, 11:30 PM
Pro

well they did come out with the A spec TLX in the 1st year of the refresh. I know it is wishful thinking. Hopefully the at least offer better seats next year.

However I think a base TLX MSRPs for about $35,000. They shout be able to add some nice accoutrements for $5000-$6000, just maybe it won't be a 6 cal AWD.....It Can be a 4 cyl AWD. Hell offer both a 4 cyl and 6 cyl in the sport package version.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
You can have some overlap in pricing among the different lines in the brand. BMW, MB, Audi & Lexus do it extensively.

That said when you get in the $50,000 range the world changes because of the buying habits of people who have $50K to spend on a car. For example the RLX only sold 737 cars this year. It would be very interesting to see how the different option sets in the TLX are selling starting with the base I4. It would be a good indicator as to weather or not Acura marketing will want to make the investment to push into the upper $40's with a type S.

Expect a clue to their thinking is the Aero Package being an after-market add-on & not integrated into the car.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-23-2015 at 05:13 AM.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:51 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Luisito
Would also be sweet if they also had the athletic red pearl color as per the prototype!
Or even just Milano red. That color is awesome.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Andaro Blue from the SEMA TLX....

The spoiler and rear diffuser (painted to match) from the SEMA TLX wouldn't hurt either.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:29 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I think the TLX looks like a great car, but I don't see me trading my '07 TL type S with MT for almost anything on the road today. I know manuals are a vanishing breed, but I still like using my left foot for something other than walking, yes I can left foot brake but it's not as much fun as shifting.
Old 05-24-2015, 07:50 PM
Founder of ACN

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
would be great to see it on the TLX. the price would look crazy i think tho
Old 05-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Rip Flair
would be great to see it on the TLX. the price would look crazy i think tho
If they kill the RLX, I could see them doing it. They won't do either, though
BEAR-AvHistory (05-25-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
A few things to think about:

The TLX was developed and finished under the old Acura management structure that had different aspirations and ideas for the brand (whatever they were). The rumor is that the TLX was basically done by the end of 2013 but was just waiting for the 9AT to come on line and that's why we didn't get it until August of 2014. Even if that isn't true it's clear to this observer that the TLX, while a solid car, has a different focus than the 2016 ILX or RDX or MDX does now.

The focus now seems to be on greater performance. Here is what Berkman said at Detroit during the NSX debut:

Moving forward, you can expect premium products that place even greater emphasis on dynamic design, premium content, and exhilarating performance.

Here's what Accavitti said during the 2016 RDX debut:

The ILX commercial you saw a moment ago speaks to these core values and our heritage as a challenger brand doing the unexpected to create new value for luxury buyers. That means Acura will place even greater emphasis on Prestige, Proportion and Performance, with products that focus on a premium luxury experience, dynamic design and super-handling capability.

Remember the production TLX debut? They spent a bit of time talking about the increased efficiency from the weight loss and the 9AT. In the press release for the TLX there is a "Fuel Economy" heading talking about the increased efficiency compared to the TSX and TL. Look at the press releases since then about the 2016 MDX, RDX and ILX. It's one line (or no lines) about the fuel economy of the car. The RDX debut at Chicago had half of one line about fuel efficiency and they only mention it as a bonus to the better torque curve of the ED V6.

The issue with the TLX is that they can't do THAT much for 2016 because it can mess with the resale value if you change a bunch of shit in the second model year. It also makes the automaker look foolish and it will probably bring to mind the "emergency" refresh of the 2012 Civic. They can spin it however they want but making big changes in the second model year is basically admitting that you f*cked up the initial model.

However, there is definitely an opportunity for Acura to get a more performance focused TLX out on the roads and it's by making a Type-S or even with a full-on A-Spec package that includes suspension and tire upgrades and a completely new front/rear clip - a manual TLX would be nice too. I think Acura wants that for it's TLX - the TLX is central to their success now and if they are focusing on performance then they have to do something and do it soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by iutodd:
HeartTLs (06-09-2015), Rip Flair (05-25-2015), silverTL6 (06-12-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Founder of ACN

Originally Posted by iutodd
A few things to think about:

The TLX was developed and finished under the old Acura management structure that had different aspirations and ideas for the brand (whatever they were). The rumor is that the TLX was basically done by the end of 2013 but was just waiting for the 9AT to come on line and that's why we didn't get it until August of 2014. Even if that isn't true it's clear to this observer that the TLX, while a solid car, has a different focus than the 2016 ILX or RDX or MDX does now.

The focus now seems to be on greater performance. Here is what Berkman said at Detroit during the NSX debut:

Moving forward, you can expect premium products that place even greater emphasis on dynamic design, premium content, and exhilarating performance.

Here's what Accavitti said during the 2016 RDX debut:

The ILX commercial you saw a moment ago speaks to these core values and our heritage as a challenger brand doing the unexpected to create new value for luxury buyers. That means Acura will place even greater emphasis on Prestige, Proportion and Performance, with products that focus on a premium luxury experience, dynamic design and super-handling capability.

Remember the production TLX debut? They spent a bit of time talking about the increased efficiency from the weight loss and the 9AT. In the press release for the TLX there is a "Fuel Economy" heading talking about the increased efficiency compared to the TSX and TL. Look at the press releases since then about the 2016 MDX, RDX and ILX. It's one line (or no lines) about the fuel economy of the car. The RDX debut at Chicago had half of one line about fuel efficiency and they only mention it as a bonus to the better torque curve of the ED V6.

The issue with the TLX is that they can't do THAT much for 2016 because it can mess with the resale value if you change a bunch of shit in the second model year. It also makes the automaker look foolish and it will probably bring to mind the "emergency" refresh of the 2012 Civic. They can spin it however they want but making big changes in the second model year is basically admitting that you f*cked up the initial model.

However, there is definitely an opportunity for Acura to get a more performance focused TLX out on the roads and it's by making a Type-S or even with a full-on A-Spec package that includes suspension and tire upgrades and a completely new front/rear clip - a manual TLX would be nice too. I think Acura wants that for it's TLX - the TLX is central to their success now and if they are focusing on performance then they have to do something and do it soon.
Just made me feel even more depressed about a Type S for the TLX never happening now lol. Just kidding. that was informative and i see your point. I'm almost positive that the Type S will die with the 3G. Acura seems to be going more focused with the luxury look and really want people to see them as a luxury brand.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Founder of ACN

Originally Posted by kurtatx
If they kill the RLX, I could see them doing it. They won't do either, though
They definitely wouldn't kill off the RLX. Not now anyway.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Think a lot of people are over thinking this. They can up the performance quotient without creating an additional type S product line.

More engine displacement across the V6 line as stock. Copy BMW 3/4 by offering an MPPK type option dealer installed. Nothing wrong with the car that a bump in power & better tires will not cure.

This would solve the shortfall in performance & still protect the RLX. Quite a few 3/4 option package variants will beat the crap out of a good portion of the 5 series.

What might have them gun shy about actual performance boosts is the really bad take rate of the 4G 6MT & the cost of EPA certification of an addition package.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-25-2015 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by Steven Bell
It would be nice, but I don't see it happening.

Since the TL changed classes to a Luxury Sedan from Sports Sedan, I don't see it in the cards.
Agree with Steven here. Such a small amount of people care about a Type S version(much like a manual transmission) that Acura won't bother to make it.
Acura used to be the sportier of the big three (Lexus, Inifinity and Acura). No longer.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:52 PM
10th Gear

Everything I read here makes it sound like TLX 2016 will be the year of Acurawatch and may be another exterior color.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
2017 model year would 'traditionally' be the MMC. I don't think '16 will bring very many changes.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
It's probably not worth the investment from a practical point of view and because the A-spec and Type S have never really been a large deviation from the standard model anyway, however they are still lacking some excitement and enthusiasm within the brand which those monikers helped create.

While not ineffective, their other directions and choices are not as impactual IMO and there is no "on the ground" somewhat attainable (especially for luxury car) model or variant approach at sports infusion in the Acura brand.

Today you don't necessarily want to be known as an exclusive sports brand either because that puts lots of regular consumers off but IMO you need to be able to sprinkle it in there and respectably so. Seems many want the option of a more balanced sports-luxury vehicle with the occasion option for added or more sport. A no compromises $60k+ TLX variant is probably not necessary at the same time.

Add campaigns can only go so far you need a few models and trims that also produce the type of result people consider sports competition worthy. Whether they call it an S or an A-spec or something else probably makes no difference so long as it's there in some capacity.

Sure the SH-SH RLX helps in that area (as will the NSX eventually) but it's not really a sports category or a much of a sports market there in the first place. Certainly not the type of vehicle where you expect it. Nevermind the RLX is not particularly successful anyway.

The NSX is more imagery than anything much like the SH-SH RLX because you won't see many, it's not an easily obtainable model for most and looks like you won't even see them at the dealers. People aren't even sure if the SH-SH RLX even exits or it's an actual production model.

There's wow factor there but IMO most folks will quickly put it in the back of their minds because it's not something they can get at their next raise, as soon as the student loans are paid, when they nail that job or save a few months for, etc. However something in the ILX and TLX range would be. Queue a coupe version while you're at it.

Also don't think it matters if there is even a close to $50k TLX version as it relates to the RLX especially because IMO that isn't going to yield as many RLX sales as a result of holding back the TLX as it may attract open competitor sales within the TLX markets. That's not a lot of overlap in the first place anyway.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-25-2015 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

If its selling the way they planned, no real change. Maybe a new paint color, the prototype red would be a winner
Old 05-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Maybe they'll add a nice pink to the color scheme......
Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Let's accept that getting performance of level of BMW 335 (340) or Audi S4 is not feasible without turbo engine. But can acura atleast have a model which can compete favorably with cars like Lexus F sport 350 AWD?
Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by alpha0
Let's accept that getting performance of level of BMW 335 (340) or Audi S4 is not feasible without turbo engine. But can acura atleast have a model which can compete favorably with cars like Lexus F sport 350 AWD?

nah.. IS 350 AWD competes with the size of a Civic.

So, Acura can put the NA V6 on ILX plus add the SH AWD and it'll be a real comparison. Oh, wait-- that can't be because It's just a Honda and no one buys the ILX because it's just a dressed up Civic. /end sarcasm
Old 05-28-2015, 08:12 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
In one of the interviews when they trotted out the new NSX one of the marketing muckity mucks (forget which one) made a reference to having limited resources when asked about future models. I think that's the big pink elephant in the room that most of us are overlooking but it's *the* major factor stopping them from building out a more niche performance version of the TLX.

Acura has pretty much lived on sales of the MDX/RDX for the past few years - they simply don't have the funds that a Lexus or BMW has to invest in niche markets. I'll wager there are a lot more people willing to spend money on a "near luxury" cruiser today than a hopped up sport sedan and given the absolute fierce competition in that space they are much more likely to get a better ROI by catering to the Accord owners who want to upgrade than they are by going after the handful of Civic SI gearheads who want a true modern day Acura sports sedan.
BEAR-AvHistory (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 08:19 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^honda has always been a mass people mover.

even their sport models arent really sport models.

so yes, the better ROI is to keep making mass people movers.
BEAR-AvHistory (05-28-2015)
Old 05-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Did not help the ILX sport image when either C&D or R&T did a 2 car compare & said for performance buy the Civic Si. Think more sports oriented drivers would have liked to see Civic Si/NA, ILX I4-Turbo, TLX base V6, TLX SHAWD V6-Turbo.

Also agree they need to generate sales as a first priority & the bread & butter cars in any brand are what do that. Once the money is coming in you can play with low production enhanced performance cars.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 05-28-2015 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 02:23 PM
Suzuka Master

FWIW Motor Week has the 2016 road test on this week. Jewal Eye LEDS, New Front. Old Power pack, 8DCT, new wheels, metal sport prdals & other upgrades.

Improved Handling, 0-60 7.1 1/4 mile 14.7 93mph 60-0 121ft mileage actual 31mpg

A-Spec Tech+ $35.8K
Old 05-30-2015, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Acura's does in fact seriously invest in key areas that they see or may see little ROI on and go in knowing that to be the case in the first place anyway and I say this as an Acura supporter. Reason being is that the brand image as a whole has stagnated a bit in recent years and so they know they need to invest in SH-SH (which is questionable anyway) and also an NSX, etc.

The NSX in today's day in age is a necessary evil, and SH-SH while a novel approach as a whole, is almost worthless on the RLX aside form image and branding once again. Needs to be there because of the lack of higher end version and with no FI or V8, and maybe a little bit the lack of RWD still (as cliche as that is at this point in time) but it's not exactly a sound money maker. Don't see them making a return on those investments directly from the system and it's models alone. Now it may help drive more sales to all of the brand in general and may be worthwhile in the future with added models but it is not exactly a sound ROI approach either IMO.

Much like the original SH-AWD, if it isn't better utilized and more implemented across the model line, it's not adding much value and one must question it's development in the first place. We may very well see SH-SH make it into 2 or 3 models and then they will change direction again. It may have a better chance on the TLX and even that is pushing it.

While it is not a bad idea to focus more on the mass market or concentrate on the more balanced-middle of the market spectrum in theory, you have to reconsider that when it isn't working that well at the same time. And even so, they would not be departing from that in their bread and butter models in the slightest, just added to it and building off of it. It's no secret the Acura sedans are nothing special in terms of sales or capturing the market. Once again brand is a part of the problem but their sports image has faded in recent years as well and they have done little to recapture that.

Their upcoming developments will help but IMO an ILX and TLX sport dedicated trim that is merely more sports class competitive with what is already out there and can be completely done with in house only tweaks virtually no production line changes or capacity in comparison to the alternatives and minor marketing, etc, that will be cheaper then what they have been working on, where they will see a direct return on and has a better overall impact and halo effect on driving sales and improving the brand as a whole IMO.

Now people will say that there is little to no market for sporty Acura anyway or just look at the take rate for the 6MT version. That's not really accurate, first, 6MT or manual in general does not equal sport by today's definition, times have changed. Secondly, as unpopular as the 4G seems or seemed to be, there was good solid demand for the 6MT when new and now 2nd and 3rd hand, they didn't not sell what they made. You may find a few 4G models left over new in fact right now, while the last of the new 4G 6MT's were gone within a few months of hitting the ground and they stopped making more relatively early in the model year.

If you don't build it they won't come at the same time. The manual may be dying out and was unpopular for dealer lots and personnel and most customers, aside form a specific kind but that's not to be mistaken for sporty Acura in general, manual trans is it's own problem today. Now the AT's were no slouch exactly but they were not as competitive as the 6MT, they were not considered the sportiest of the TL models. Modern day TLX and ILX don't exactly have that problem because of the new DCT's and auto transmissions. Think the platforms, drive-train and build are more sound as a whole for added sport engineering now compared to before (more the TLX) and they should take advantage of that.

Lastly, for where the ILX and TLX are priced and their general market vicinity, they often can be seen as sporty or even more so, it really depends on how you price it and what you put it next to. The limited product range and how it's perceived and what the models and their trims are supposed to compete with and where is more of the issue.

Acura seems to want to expand it's range where it is more successful and decrease it where it is least, don't really know but one could make the argument that reverse could also work and/or be true. Maybe the questionable hybrid and also top down approach is far riskier and costs more money than a bottom up, coupe and added sport variants strategy. Again, don't really know but that can be argued as well.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 05-30-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
Pure economics. Must first have a solid platform and sales. Acura is still trying to build it's own transmission and get everything to work correctly...then maybe. With the exception of purpose designed sports cars, the historical formula for all manufacturers that have offered higher performance versions of their cars has been by demand following reliability, customer satisfaction with the base model supported by an increasing sales curve...then the manufacturer has to meet/exceed the competition's performance and price points...don't hold your breath.

Perhaps Acura will follow the old tried and true American car company formula of offering a "sport pak" with special emblems, wheels and the quintessential rear deck spoiler....that's more in-line with Honda.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
FWIW Motor Week has the 2016 road test on this week. Jewal Eye LEDS, New Front. Old Power pack, 8DCT, new wheels, metal sport prdals & other upgrades.

Improved Handling, 0-60 7.1 1/4 mile 14.7 93mph 60-0 121ft mileage actual 31mpg

A-Spec Tech+ $35.8K

is this for real or you just speculating? if true this is awesome news. so a V6 A-Spec Tech+ would be around $38k or so, i'm sold.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kevTL888
is this for real or you just speculating? if true this is awesome news. so a V6 A-Spec Tech+ would be around $38k or so, i'm sold.
Sorry to disappoint but it gets you a 2016 ILX A-Spec. Yes its confirmed as the mid cycle refresh. Honda has published the 2016 price list.

TLX just soldiers on.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:45 AM
3 2 GONE

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts
When will Acura stop being put in the same cars as RWD German cars? One of my pet peeves.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:31 AM
Pro

Glad this topic attracted a lot of interest, however it is getting way off topic.

Dammit Acura, just make a nice A-spec with nice bolstered seats with thigh support, visible exhaust tips, blacked out exterior trim, LED fogs, and aluminum interior trim, also give it some nice tuned Showa suspension.

If they'd listen to me and charge about $3500 for this package, I am sure Acura enthusiasts, and most clientele looking at acura as opposed to maxima or Honda would prefer the sportier edge. Just saying as they kind of cheaped out in my opinion for the current version.
dwest1023 (07-04-2015)

Quick Reply: PLEASE ACURA, make an A-Spec/S-Type for 2016......