P-AWS and audio system between I4 and v6

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 01:25 AM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
P-AWS and audio system between I4 and v6

Hey guys,
Just got a loaner today, a 2016 tlx v6 base, and I noticed the steering performance is better than my 2016 TLX i4 tech. I noticed the biggest different is when getting on/off a "P" shape exit. The v6 car seem to turn/handle better, and I don't feel my body lean as much comparing to my car.
Is there any differences in the p-aws system between the two models?

Also noticing the sound on the v6 base has more bass than my i4 tech. Although the sound isn't as clear as the tech model, but surely has more kick to it. Am I on crack or this is "normal"? I did got my car in for sound check and they said it is working like it supposed to.

*on the side note, holy crap on the transmission...for those that has a v6, how can you stand it? I drove the car about 2 hours now and I hated it so much lol
Old 10-12-2016, 04:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
I have a TLX 3.5 FWD and have driven the 2.4. To me the handling in the 2.4 is only compromised by the Goodyear Eagles with which it comes equipped. An upgrade to better rubber (and maybe +1 upgrade) is really all it needs. I had the same rubber on my Accord Sport, and it definitely fell short in the handling dept.

in terms of transmission, the ZF is just fine in my opinion. It's just that the 8sp DCT in the 2.4 is great, and made it a tougher than expected choice when making my TLX purchase. Though admittedly my last car was an Accord Sport CVT (which totally ruins the K24 Accord) I've had a 15 MDX w/6AT for the past 16 months. That said, the 3.5's power makes up for any perceived ZF shortcomings.
Old 10-12-2016, 06:25 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I too have a 2.4 and had a 3.5 loaner for a day. I felt the V6 car handled differently - but not better. I think it's a weight thing, the 3.5 might even have different shocks up front to handle the extra pounds in the bigger engine - not sure. Either way you're correct that the two different models do feel different when you throw them into a curve.
Old 10-12-2016, 10:44 AM
Racer

I remembered reading up on these 2.4 tires, most people here recommended to get rid of and upgrade to something better. I didn't think it make that effect on those curve road. I feel like I need a rear sway bar install on my 2.4 to lessen the leaning. I do like how the v6 handle but cannot stand the transmission. I guess it a good thing I couldn't afford the v6 model, otherwise I'll be hating it until I get rid of it hahahaha. Won't be upgrading the tires since its only got 8k on it. I guess I'll find out the different when it is time to replace the tires. Not too picky, just curious if there is any different and/or my car got more issues. Thanks ya'll.
Old 10-12-2016, 03:24 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
I also have a 2.4 Tech and was given a 3.5 Tech for the weekend while my car was having the window molding replaced. I personally found that while driving the 3.5, you can really feel the extra weight.
I do agree that the Goodyears are crap and looking forward to replacing them. From what I understand there really should be any difference in the P-AWS system.
As for your ELS system not sounding as good as the "base" system... maybe you are on crack. Lol j/k Maybe you need to readjust your speaker/sound settings.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:18 AM
Racer

Even at low speed, such as U turn, I can feel the car turn better with the v6 than the i4. I guess I'll do more driving and see if there is any real different or it just me sitting in a different car and feel differently.

As far as the sound, I played around with the setting, and I matched up my current setting to the v6 base model to test. To me, the bass is better (in a way) but it not as clear as the tech model.