Next Generation AcuraWatch in TLX

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Next Generation AcuraWatch in TLX

Does anyone know what next generation Acurawatch holds? The current system works well in most conditions, but find that LKAS stops working in heavy rain/thunderstorms, poor road markings, and every now and then when sun is right ahead during sunset. I know that its working as intended, but does Honda/Acura plan to improve the driver assist features to work better in inclement weather and/or implement new feature to move from driver assist to semi-autonomous?

I know more recent versions have electronic brake hold and low speed follow. What does the future hold for this? I've heard of an upcoming feature called Traffic Jam Assist, but am not sure what it includes and when it will be implemented.

Last edited by AcuraGuy2016; 08-10-2016 at 06:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
It'll probably be similar (if not outright based on) MobileEye's EyeQ3.

The Linley Group

Multiple forward cameras for improved detection and recognition of markings, signs, other vehicles and potential obstacles. Honda may also enable features that are currently available but aren't very reliable, such as speed sign reading (common for the camera to misread the speed and suddenly speeding up or braking) and car following (useful for low speed lane keeping and where lane markings are not good, but will follow the other car when it makes lane changes, turns and exits, will sometimes lock onto oncoming car and try to steer towards it). Honda could also try for more aggressive steering, so that LKAS works on tighter corners and also at speeds slower than 70 KPH. Another improvement might be to respond to traffic lights, so that if you're on ACC, it won't drive through a red light.

Traffic Jam Assist sounds like it adds low speed lane keeping to the existing ACC with low speed follow.
Old 08-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by accord1999
It'll probably be similar (if not outright based on) MobileEye's EyeQ3.

The Linley Group

Multiple forward cameras for improved detection and recognition of markings, signs, other vehicles and potential obstacles. Honda may also enable features that are currently available but aren't very reliable, such as speed sign reading (common for the camera to misread the speed and suddenly speeding up or braking) and car following (useful for low speed lane keeping and where lane markings are not good, but will follow the other car when it makes lane changes, turns and exits, will sometimes lock onto oncoming car and try to steer towards it). Honda could also try for more aggressive steering, so that LKAS works on tighter corners and also at speeds slower than 70 KPH. Another improvement might be to respond to traffic lights, so that if you're on ACC, it won't drive through a red light.

Traffic Jam Assist sounds like it adds low speed lane keeping to the existing ACC with low speed follow.
Acura Watch & Honda Sensing is great. I have a ~3-3.5 hour roundtrip commute. These features make a fatiguing and unbearable commute much more tolerable - when they work.

I really wanted a 4cyl Acura TLX Tech with Acurawatch, but no vehicle exists. Acurawatch & Honda sensing are $1k upgrades, and I did not want to pony up $7k+ premium for V6 Advance, especially for a vehicle I will put 30-35k miles/year and with all the ZF tranny issues.

I just bought a 2016 Honda Accord Touring and really like it. Honda Sensing is great. My commute is 90% highway and it helps a ton, provided the weather is OK and traffic is at least 45 mph. Very glad I bought it.

My wish for future:
- Low speed follow (exists on a few vehicles but not standard HS/AW)
-Traffic Jam assist (being developed)
- LKAS/ACC active in very bad weather/torrential downpours, sharper turns, bad traffic, less defined lane markers
- Steering wheel input interval time doubled or tripled from current

The current system helps a ton, but the above items would close the remaining gaps. I don't need a fully self driving car, but being able to drive a long commute to have a good job and see family every day with little fatigue is priceless.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I have no idea what's planned in the next generation Acura Watch, but I do know the LKAS, BSW, LDW, FCW, and Cross Traffic Alert work very well, without noticeable degradation in anything other than heavy rain. When it comes to poor or non-existent road/lane markings, of course LKAS is not going to function.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I find it humorous and disturbing the way some Tesla drivers allow their 'autopilot' to drive them right off the road. Not even taking any corrective actions, like they have more faith in the nanny aids than their own driving. What are we going to do when there are millions of cars out there with completely disengaged drivers, It will be like bumper cars. Too much automation in these driving aids is a bad thing,