new car itch: Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
^^^^^
Tiguan is not even coming remotely close to Macan performance wise. Tiguan is FWD platform. Two different worlds.... So actually your statement is wrong LOL
It is like comparing Toyota Corolla to Lexus IS350, or Honda CR-V to BMW X3
You obviously don't know what you're talking about because the Porsche Macan, Audi Q5, and VW Tiguan are built on the same chassis and share parts. In Europe, they even share similar small displacement engines.
Old 03-26-2017, 12:39 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Quick phone shot
Why is your cneter console so dusty? J/K, you probably have a good camera phone, and that stuff gets picked up well.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by rocket_pup
You obviously don't know what you're talking about because the Porsche Macan, Audi Q5, and VW Tiguan are built on the same chassis and share parts. In Europe, they even share similar small displacement engines.
Sorry, same platform, not chassis. All from the VW Group.

Last edited by rocket_pup; 03-26-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Sorry, same platform, not chassis. All from the VW Group.

Yes sir, it is owned by VW, Bugatti is owned by VW too.
Seriously man. Tiguan and Macan is not comparable.
And this is why:
  • Tiguan has a transverse mounted engine and longitudinal in the Macan
  • Tiguan is a part time AWD vs full time Macan, Tiguan is front-wheel drive most of the time, whereas Macan is mostly rear wheel drive
  • Gearboxes - The Tiguan is 6 speed the Macan is a 7 speed PDK
  • completely different chassis
  • Macan is performance cuv, Tiguan is econobox.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Why is your cneter console so dusty? J/K, you probably have a good camera phone, and that stuff gets picked up well.
No Problem. Two reasons, pollen season has hit big time & its not driven as much at it used to.
The following users liked this post:
kurtatx (03-30-2017)
Old 03-26-2017, 02:28 PM
Racer

And this is why:
  • Tiguan is a part time AWD vs full time Macan, Tiguan is front-wheel drive most of the time, whereas Macan is mostly rear wheel drive
Saying an Infiniti QX50 is a "poor man's Macan" is even less of a comparison. Maybe a Jaguar F-Pace, but I would say an Audi SQ5 is the closest.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
And this is why:
Saying an Infiniti QX50 is a "poor man's Macan" is even less of a comparison. Maybe a Jaguar F-Pace, but I would say an Audi SQ5 is the closest.
I'm going to split the difference between you two guys. For one thing, the Tiguan has a reputation of handling amazingly well and has been said to handle better than a Mazda CX5 which is very commonly known to be the top of the class in handling of mainstream compact SUV's. Especially when the Tiguan is equipped in R-Line trim with massive 255 wide tires and 19" wheels. It can haul some ass.

Now his comment about poor man's macan was strictly drivetrain layout, handling, and general shape based. I.e RWD and pretty good handling with a generally similar overall shape. Saying a Tiguan is a poor man's macan does not make any sense from any other view point than comparing within the VAG family. Even then that is not a fair comparison because they are completely different in drivetrain setup. I would agree with him (as I did above) because the QX50 does compare favourably to the Macan in terms of quality and performance...but it doesn't get goodies like porsche dynamic chasis control, active roll bars, air suspension, active differential...etc. Nor does it come with turbo V6 engines and Dual clutch transmissions so of course the macan out performs it.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,863 Likes on 2,030 Posts
Great discussion for another thread.

Can we get back now to how lame the TLX is?
Old 03-27-2017, 11:33 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 293 Posts
Given a lot of the driving dynamics of the Q50 are computer driven (especially the drive-by-wire steering), that's not a good combination. Nissan, of the big 3 Japanese brands, is 3rd by a WIDE margin. Nissans\Infiniti's are fun to drive, but that don't last far beyond 5 to 7 years without something major going wrong.
I had DAS in my Hybrid, I had no problems with it, I think it was totally overblown in reviews. The only people who had some issues with DAS were those living in sub zero locations. Other than that there were no issues with DAS for those of us in California other than a re-program. I had a G35 that lasted 9 years with no issues other than needing new CV boots
Old 03-27-2017, 11:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Lots of comments on longevity. Cant speak to anything other than what I had or my family had. Most of the personal DD I keep 3/4 years generally because I like new cars & its not a financial drain to indulge myself. Only long term German I had was a 2004 330CI ZHP 6MT Convertible. Was held for 10 years about 125/130K miles again no major expenses with the car. Have a number of cars, two FORDS with over 100K miles on them now & they also have not had any unusual expenses.

I think the whole you car will die when the warranty runs out is way overblown especially HONDA fans who prefer to forget all the transmission troubles going back a number of generations in both HONDA & ACURA cars. My daughters Accord AT6 transmission was replaced under the legal settlement in the class action suite & my TL 6MT trans was rebuilt at 22K miles under a TSB. There are contemporaneous posts on this in the 3G forum around 2007 or 8.

Personally I believe most cars are pretty reliable overall but none are bulletproof. Additionally you are more likely to get a looser first year out of the box.
To me German cars seem to be hit or miss the older ones tend to be more reliable. I've mentioned this before I had an S4 that was a real POS. Others have been lucky, but I find more often than not people start having annoyance issues after 50K miles then it gets worse and worse over time.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:27 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Kense
To me German cars seem to be hit or miss the older ones tend to be more reliable. I've mentioned this before I had an S4 that was a real POS. Others have been lucky, but I find more often than not people start having annoyance issues after 50K miles then it gets worse and worse over time.
Just curious, what year was it, and how was it a POS?
Old 03-30-2017, 08:17 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Audis since 2009 have better reliability than prior generations. Audi has shot up every reliability standard in the last half decade or so (I had an 08 A4 and had problems. took a while to come around to getting another one)
Old 04-02-2017, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I still have 05 g35x in my garage. Besides 6 wheel bearings and lower control arms, nothing was changed.
I was looking to buy for something sporty, fun to drive and reliable. Not to big or too small. Still have 2012 Acura MDX, so dont need a suv. THERE IS NOTHING available from Acura current lineup at all.
Germans is not an option and I hate Lexus mouse controller bulshiet.
SO, I bought 2017 Infiniti QX50 awd. It is not to big, fun to drive drives like a sports car. 0-60 in 5.5. VQ37VHR engine and 7 speed auto is great combination.
How is the 7 speed in the QX50? I've been hearing complaints that it's clunky / unrefined and has been the same ever since 2009 (in the G37).
I've test driven the latest RDX, but found it to be bit boring to drive.

Last edited by donkiboy; 04-02-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by donkiboy
How is the 7 speed in the QX50? I've been hearing complaints that it's clunky / unrefined and has been the same ever since 2009 (in the G37).
I think they fixed that back in 2012 or 2013. I have seen no complains lately for any application that uses Jatco 7 speed. IT seems it reacts twice fast as my 6 speed in MDX.... What i miss is paddle shifters.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by donkiboy
my 2011 M37S had the 7 speed and in 39 months and 44K miles I can count on my hands how many times it hunted for a gear and that was fairly predictable when slowing down for say a light and the light turns green and you punch it. As for my TLX in 18 months and 13K miles I can count on my hands how many times EACH WEEK the TLX 9 speed can't figure out what it wants to do and then takes forever to do it. I'll take the Infiniti 7 speed any day over the ZF 9 speed.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Just curious, what year was it, and how was it a POS?
2010 and It was plagued with electrical and mechanical issues.
Old 04-03-2017, 11:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Audis since 2009 have better reliability than prior generations. Audi has shot up every reliability standard in the last half decade or so (I had an 08 A4 and had problems. took a while to come around to getting another one)
I'll wait until there is more data on that. I don't trust those reliability ratings just because I know they are calling cars unreliable that have issues with their Radio or something that has no affect on how the car actually drives. With Audi and German cars my concern is with actual mechanical issues that can leave me stranded. So to me a car that has problems with the infotainment cannot possibly be less reliable than a car that has fuel pump and oil consumption issues.
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-03-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 09:25 PM
Azine Jabroni

I'll wait until there is more data on that. I don't trust those reliability ratings just because I know they are calling cars unreliable that have issues with their Radio or something that has no affect on how the car actually drives. With Audi and German cars my concern is with actual mechanical issues that can leave me stranded. So to me a car that has problems with the infotainment cannot possibly be less reliable than a car that has fuel pump and oil consumption issues.
Understood, but regardless of what you consider a problem, just know Audi has significantly less of them now.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Understood, but regardless of what you consider a problem, just know Audi has significantly less of them now.
That's always a good thing, especially since I think Audi's look the best out of the Germans. One day I'll buy an S6.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:35 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I was at the auto show over the weekend and saw the Giulia in person. It looks nice in person, more or less the same as what was seen in pictures (unlike Acura cars, they tend to look better in person to me). I also spent some seat time in one. The interior design is decent, but the quality doesn't look or feel good. There were scratch marks everywhere. It doesn't seem like the plastic parts are durable. The back seats are terribly cramped. Head room is okay for people 5'8" or under.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Someone in my neighbourhood bought one of these, it looks amazing. Though I only seen the rear end because it was in the driveway and it was at night so I couldn't get a good enough look. I'm going to try driving by later today to see if they have it outside still.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:30 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I was at the auto show over the weekend and saw the Giulia in person. It looks nice in person, more or less the same as what was seen in pictures (unlike Acura cars, they tend to look better in person to me). I also spent some seat time in one. The interior design is decent, but the quality doesn't look or feel good. There were scratch marks everywhere. It doesn't seem like the plastic parts are durable. The back seats are terribly cramped. Head room is okay for people 5'8" or under.
I saw the Alfa in person 3 weeks ago and I agree the interior is no big deal and the rear seat is very cramped, I mean it's really tight. But IMO that exterior can make me overlook those shortcomings, it's stunning in person, what a great design....
Old 04-05-2017, 04:58 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

haha yea, the exterior is nice!
Old 04-05-2017, 06:37 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by JT4
I saw the Alfa in person 3 weeks ago and I agree the interior is no big deal and the rear seat is very cramped, I mean it's really tight. But IMO that exterior can make me overlook those shortcomings, it's stunning in person, what a great design....
I saw one on the road. Looks sharp as all getup. Problem is, what makes the design an Alfa is what makes the design weird. The back door is oddly shaped, the back seat is cramped. The materials are very Fiat Chrysler. Haven't yet got to drive it, though.
Old 04-06-2017, 06:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
There are two reasons I would not by an Alfa. Quality and resale value. They may have fixed the quality over the years, but they will have to be out several years before I would take that chance. Ditto resale value. That's the problem with poor quality. It takes years to fix a broken reputation.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:30 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by jjsC5
There are two reasons I would not by an Alfa. Quality and resale value. They may have fixed the quality over the years, but they will have to be out several years before I would take that chance. Ditto resale value. That's the problem with poor quality. It takes years to fix a broken reputation.
Two solid reasons. The only thing I would say is we don't really know how the new generation of Alfa Romeos will fare in the United States regarding resale value. But, at this point, there are just too many more proven models in that segment to commit to an Alfa Romeo of questionable quality and value.
Old 04-06-2017, 12:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

+1 about the Fiat Chrysler quality. This is the only car at the autoshow that had so many scratches and plastic residue peeling off.