Acura March Sales Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Acura March Sales Numbers

Looks like more of the same with the latest monthly totals for Acura.

American Honda Nets New March Sales Records - Acura News

On the bright side the Acura press release did manage to insert a positive spin as usual and added this tidbit

"The new MDX is the latest salvo in the evolving Acura lineup prioritizing performance through both powertrain and design. And on April 11, a refreshed and significantly enhanced 2018 TLX will be revealed in New York, bringing the Acura Precision Concept-inspired design language to the sedan lineup"

If only they could prioritize performance through powertrain with the sedans this year.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:58 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
With poor sales, and every one moving to crossovers, there wouldn't be a point to add a performance power train.

Would be smarter to beef up Acura trucks by offering a smaller cute ute.

Spin off Acura into Cuv's and SUV's.
Have Honda as the performance division

The writing is on the wall....

Acura as we know it

Last edited by justnspace; 04-03-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Just about anything car-related tanked today in the stock market because nearly every manufacturer missed analysts' sales targets... some by a ton.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Their car sales are abysmal and shocked RDX is down so much. Why do they still make the RLX?
Old 04-03-2017, 08:31 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Just about anything car-related tanked today in the stock market because nearly every manufacturer missed analysts' sales targets... some by a ton.
TSLA: $298.52 : +$20.22 (+7.27%)

Hit a new all time (intra-day) high of $299 too.

I wonder how many potential TLX shoppers will buy a Model 3 when it comes out later this year? More competition is coming.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-g...000-1491163865

Tesla Global Vehicle Sales Rose 69% in First Quarter to 25,000

Auto maker aims to deliver 50,000 vehicles in first half

Tesla Inc. on Sunday said its global sales rose 69% in the first quarter, its best quarter of sales yet, putting the auto maker on a path to meet its goal of 50,000 deliveries in the first half of the year.

The Silicon Valley electric-car maker said it delivered roughly 25,000 vehicles—about 13,450 Model S sedans and about 11,550 Model X sport-utility vehicles—in the quarter, compared with a total of 14,820 a year earlier.

It was Tesla’s best quarter of sales on record, topping the third quarter of 2016, when it delivered 24,500 vehicles, which helped the company post its second-ever profitable quarter.

The results should help fuel further investor confidence in Chief Executive Elon Musk as he works to bring out later this year a $35,000 sedan called the Model 3

Tesla is aiming to sell about as many vehicles in the first half of 2017 as it delivered during the final six months of last year.

Much of the first-quarter gain came from the continued rollout of the Model X, which had 2,400 sales a year earlier. The Model S increased about 8% from a year ago. Tesla, unlike other major auto makers, doesn’t break out sales by region. In 2016, revenue from U.S. activities made up 60% of the company’s business.

During the first three months of this year, Tesla built 25,148 vehicles, the company said.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Sedan sales imploding is one thing, but the RDX doing so badly is a very shocking. You can tell that the competition is hurting Acura pretty badly now. I'd be pretty worried if I was management. The MMC TLX better be a home run. Crossovers can only sustain your business so much before Honda makes decisions for you ... may be a good thing though since their stuff is doing well!
Old 04-03-2017, 11:17 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Acura is not going anywhere. If anything, I predict more models announced and/or introduced in the next 2 years.

I was at the Dallas car show last week and there were groups of people here and there, but the vast majority were in and around the luxury imports. The luxury lines are where it's at for the $30k millionaires; Acura will be just fine.
Old 04-04-2017, 05:53 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Their car sales are abysmal and shocked RDX is down so much. Why do they still make the RLX?
Regarding the RDX - I think two factors (which are related)
1) The RDX is in need of a refresh and
2) The newly updated CRV is selling like hotcakes. Outselling the Accord and everything else in the Honda lineup.

Meanwhile the MDX continues to do well which is probably the highest profit margin vehicle for Honda/Acura so I'm sure they're happy about that. The TLX was down from a year ago but up from last month. I'm guessing they're starting to get aggressive on the $$ with the MMC looming just around the corner.
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (04-04-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 08:52 AM
_

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
The TLX was down from a year ago but up from last month. I'm guessing they're starting to get aggressive on the $$ with the MMC looming just around the corner.
Maybe. Or it's just the usual pattern. Car sales are generally slow during the months of Dec., Jan, and Feb. because:

- Holidays take money away from car buying
- People are less likely to go out during cold winter weather to make car purchases (harder to do a thorough test drive in rainy/snowy weather)
- Taxes (people waiting for tax refunds before buying)

Car sales pick up in the Spring. Spring starts in. . . . March. If you look back at previous years, you'll see that TLX sales experienced the same sales trend... i.e. down in January, but slowly picks up in February, then more sales in March, and even more in April.

How important are seasonal trends in the automotive sector? Investopedia

How important are seasonal trends in the automotive sector?

A: The automotive industry has some definite seasonal trends, with peak demand occurring in the spring and fall, and lowest sales in December, January and February.

The two divisions of auto sales – new and used cars – both tend to experience the same seasonal ups and downs in sales volume. Auto sales traditionally drop to their lowest levels of the year from December through February. The holiday season, when consumers make large expenditures of disposable income elsewhere, and cold weather contribute to this traditionally slow time of year for auto sales. This seasonal trend continues to hold true despite the fact that auto dealers often offer some of the best deals of the year during the winter in an effort to move inventory off their lots. Days sales of inventory is an important analytical metric for auto dealers, who generally do not like to see numbers above 60 on their DSI. The only exceptions to the seasonal slump in auto sales during winter is in the market for 4x4 sport utility vehicles; these vehicles see a seasonal surge in demand during the winter.

The two peak seasons for auto sales occur during the spring, from the end of February through the end of May, and from September through November. During these periods of peak demand, cars' average sale prices can rise by 10% to 15%. Part of the explanation for the fall seasonal upswing in auto sales is due to U.S. auto manufacturers traditionally introducing new models for the year. After peaking in November, motor vehicle sales tend to drop dramatically in December as the retail sales sector begins to experience its large holiday seasonal upsurge.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Regarding the RDX - I think two factors (which are related)
1) The RDX is in need of a refresh and
2) The newly updated CRV is selling like hotcakes. Outselling the Accord and everything else in the Honda lineup.

Meanwhile the MDX continues to do well which is probably the highest profit margin vehicle for Honda/Acura so I'm sure they're happy about that. The TLX was down from a year ago but up from last month. I'm guessing they're starting to get aggressive on the $$ with the MMC looming just around the corner.
I would agree. The CRV is getting great reviews and although I do not want a CVT, a loaded CRV is approximately $10,000 less than the RDX. I know that they are very different, but Honda has stepped up the quality of the interior, the tech, and cargo space. Waiting to see the new RDX....oh yeah, and I guess the new TLX
Old 04-04-2017, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Maybe. Or it's just the usual pattern. Car sales are generally slow during the months of Dec., Jan, and Feb. because:

- Holidays take money away from car buying
- People are less likely to go out during cold winter weather to make car purchases (harder to do a thorough test drive in rainy/snowy weather)
- Taxes (people waiting for tax refunds before buying)

Car sales pick up in the Spring. Spring starts in. . . . March. If you look back at previous years, you'll see that TLX sales experienced the same sales trend... i.e. down in January, but slowly picks up in February, then more sales in March, and even more in April.

How important are seasonal trends in the automotive sector? Investopedia
Interesting the makes some sense, I wonder if this can be applied as a strategy to get best savings when one is looking for a new car....to shop around during december and get as much discounts as possible?
Old 04-04-2017, 06:23 PM
Suzuka Master

TSLA: $298.52 : +$20.22 (+7.27%)

Hit a new all time (intra-day) high of $299 too.

I wonder how many potential TLX shoppers will buy a Model 3 when it comes out later this year? More competition is coming.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/tesla-g...000-1491163865
The Model 3 will have a long waiting list and honestly I want to see what they did to,hit the price point, they had to,cut corners somewhere. While I have not driven. model S I have been in one and the materials did not wow me. Also that huge slab ruins the flow of the dash. I am intrigued, but have reservations.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mk5
Acura is not going anywhere. If anything, I predict more models announced and/or introduced in the next 2 years.

I was at the Dallas car show last week and there were groups of people here and there, but the vast majority were in and around the luxury imports. The luxury lines are where it's at for the $30k millionaires; Acura will be just fine.
have I not been hearing for a while more models are coming? And if they execute new models like the current ones I don't see much improvement. They need sport models, the new cockpit can't show up soon enough. And if they want to be an upscale brand start making upscale cars.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:40 PM
_

And if they want to be an upscale brand start making upscale cars.
They have no idea what they want to be. One moment they want to be a tier 1 luxury brand, the next moment they want to be a sporty performance brand, and the next moment they want to be a value premium brand.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZuser:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-04-2017), JT4 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-04-2017, 07:25 PM

kill the sedans, prop up the luxury SUVs and CUV's
make Honda the performance brand it already is

there would be TONS of technology if the two combined to make an awesome turbo'd SH-SHAWD coupe/sedan that could hang with Ze Germanz

Last edited by justnspace; 04-04-2017 at 07:28 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:30 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
The Model 3 will have a long waiting list and honestly I want to see what they did to,hit the price point, they had to,cut corners somewhere. While I have not driven. model S I have been in one and the materials did not wow me. Also that huge slab ruins the flow of the dash. I am intrigued, but have reservations.
Exactly. Problems I can think of
  1. Tesla only ships 25,000 cars a quarter - quite a bit of scale-up required
  2. Tesla has to cut corners to get the price down because the tech in the Model 3 is close to the Model S. Model 3 might get REALLY expensive to match the S's excitement
  3. Teslas are notoriously unreliable
  4. More Teslas on the road means greater strain on their small collection of repair shops (No one repairs them)
Old 04-05-2017, 01:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
With poor sales, and every one moving to crossovers, there wouldn't be a point to add a performance power train.

Would be smarter to beef up Acura trucks by offering a smaller cute ute.

Spin off Acura into Cuv's and SUV's.
Have Honda as the performance division

The writing is on the wall....

Acura as we know it
I do like what I've seen of the Acura CDX made for the Chinese market. it would be nice to see some version of this in North America as the smaller SUV market heats up. Now that the price of oil/gas appears to be on an upward curve, smaller SUVs and sedans could become more popular again.
TacoBello (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 02:09 PM
_

Would the CDX do better in the U.S. than in China?

Acura expected to sell 10,000 in 2016.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tychode...on-the-market/

The ambitions are very modest for now: Acura expects to sell 10,000 units until the end of the year, or about 2,000 per month. For comparison: the Audi Q3 sold 8,060 units in June alone, the BMW X1, 4,370 and the Mercedes-Benz GLA, 6,219.
They only sold 6,842

Jul 2016 = 519
Aug 2016 = 815
Sep 2016 = 1,160
Oct 2016 = 1,236
Nov 2016 = 1,301
Dec 2016 = 1,811

2017 isn't off to a good start either.

Jan 2017 = 455
Feb 2017 = 636

From what I've read and have been told, it's pricey (229,800 yuan to 309,800 yuan or ~$33,300 to ~$44,900) for what you get. The materials are low quality and the fit and finish is less that what you'd see on competition. If Acura were to bring it to the U.S., they'd have to improve the quality and/or lower the price. At those prices, why buy a CDX over an RDX or CR-V?
Old 04-05-2017, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
^^^ I don't know how they're equipped, but I think 2.0L Buick Regals start around $37k-$40k in China, so pricing may be different.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I do like what I've seen of the Acura CDX made for the Chinese market. it would be nice to see some version of this in North America as the smaller SUV market heats up. Now that the price of oil/gas appears to be on an upward curve, smaller SUVs and sedans could become more popular again.
to what? $55/barrel? I know we will never see $80-100/barrel
the prices at the pump will remain steady for the foreseeable future, great for the consumer!
with the advancement in engine technology, CUV's are getting sedan mpg's

Americans love their CUV's
Old 04-06-2017, 07:34 AM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by justnspace
to what? $55/barrel? I know we will never see $80-100/barrel
the prices at the pump will remain steady for the foreseeable future, great for the consumer!
with the advancement in engine technology, CUV's are getting sedan mpg's

Americans love their CUV's
They do, indeed love their CUV's. Americans will go as far as replacing their sedans with a CRX type vehicle. To answer your earlier question, yes I think the CRX could be a hit in the American market. Problem is, it's likely at the expense of Acura's already weak sedan sales.
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
BEAR-AvHistory (04-06-2017), justnspace (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 08:27 AM

close shop and re-brand!!!

FWIW; I currently work in the oil and gas industry and was laid off last month. however, the company picked me back up this week. with the Surplus of oil and the shale producers eagerly waiting to frack... OIL barrels WILL stay this low for the foreseeable future. we aint getting back $80-100 barrels. EVER.
GREAT for the American consumer! as they will feel richer at the pump and spend even more on CUV's

Last edited by justnspace; 04-06-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:37 AM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
Interesting thing about oil and gas prices. Honda's big thing is sustainability and environment. I suspect they will continue to make gas cars with the same/similar performance dynamics (or perhaps lack thereof, depending on who you are on this forum) and same focus on gas mileage as they are now.

However, they now have three Sport Hybrid SHAWD powertrains (NSX, RLX, MDX) that supplement the performance aspect while maintaining the culture of sustainability. I don't think we need a crystal ball to see what kind of new TLX variant will be coming within the next 2 years. Personally, I'm all about it. Give me the instant torque and better performance numbers all day long.
justnspace (04-06-2017)
Old 04-06-2017, 10:39 AM

SH-SHAWD in the ILX and TLX would be fucking awesome!
Old 04-06-2017, 12:27 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Would the CDX do better in the U.S. than in China?

Acura expected to sell 10,000 in 2016.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tychode...on-the-market/

They only sold 6,842

Jul 2016 = 519
Aug 2016 = 815
Sep 2016 = 1,160
Oct 2016 = 1,236
Nov 2016 = 1,301
Dec 2016 = 1,811

2017 isn't off to a good start either.

Jan 2017 = 455
Feb 2017 = 636

From what I've read and have been told, it's pricey (229,800 yuan to 309,800 yuan or ~$33,300 to ~$44,900) for what you get. The materials are low quality and the fit and finish is less that what you'd see on competition. If Acura were to bring it to the U.S., they'd have to improve the quality and/or lower the price. At those prices, why buy a CDX over an RDX or CR-V?
You can't really compare Chinese pricing to US pricing.

The BMW X1 18i in China starts at 286000 yuan and goes all the way to 439000 yuan X1 25Li. And that's before adding options. That's a start price of USD$41.5 k to $63.5k, plus more for options.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 PM
Azine Jabroni

Originally Posted by mk5
Interesting thing about oil and gas prices. Honda's big thing is sustainability and environment. I suspect they will continue to make gas cars with the same/similar performance dynamics (or perhaps lack thereof, depending on who you are on this forum) and same focus on gas mileage as they are now.

However, they now have three Sport Hybrid SHAWD powertrains (NSX, RLX, MDX) that supplement the performance aspect while maintaining the culture of sustainability. I don't think we need a crystal ball to see what kind of new TLX variant will be coming within the next 2 years. Personally, I'm all about it. Give me the instant torque and better performance numbers all day long.
Everything I have read seems to indicate that it's not realistic to think that every car company will simply abandon increased efficiency. Even though they have met an unfriendly administration towards environmental concerns, efficiency is popular on both sides of the aisle. However, there is less incentive now to abandon gas and the electric car will find adoption at the pace of private interests.