My Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 08:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Impressions

I just returned a 2016 TLX 4cyl tech that I had for 2.5 weeks as a service loaner. This gave me plenty of time to get a real good idea of what I think of the car. I work for a competing brand in quality control (including tracking down rattles and other noises, as well as test driving and overall user experience). I like the styling and the design of the interior, for the most part. I think the dash board and upper door panels could have been made from a nicer looking material, but that's relatively minor as they're not offensively cheap. The dual screen setup is great, though. I especially like how the lower screen turns into a keyboard when entering addresses and names into the nav system. The only real fault I found with the nav/entertainment system is that the GUI is a little slow (sometimes very slow) to respond. Reaction to button presses should be instant, and sometimes id find myself waiting a couple seconds for the computer to catch up. The seats seem a little cheap, and even this new car was showing signs of use on the seat bolsters. My only real complaint on the interior of the car is the rear deck rattle. I saw a couple threads on this issue, so I know its not an isolated incident. Acura really should have done a better job with this. I noticed a couple of other small rattles, but as that is a fair portion of my job, I tend to notice a lot of things the common driver wouldn't, so Ill let them slide. The LED headlights are great. If I had to make one improvement I might make the high beams just a tad more intense, but that's me.
Dynamically, the TLX is exactly what I expected it to be; Comfortable, confident, but nothing to write home about. The 2.4 4-pot is sufficiently powerful, but sometimes left me wishing I had more. The 8 speed DCT is an odd choice to me. The car isn't fast enough to really necessitate it, and to me all it does is make the ride more jerky than it could be in town.
The only part of the car I'm not crazy about is the LKAS and collision warning system. The LKAS seemed a little over sensitive to me, and the beeping gets old after a while. The system that produces steering input to keep you in your lane is nice when you need to need to open a beverage, or what not, but otherwise I didn't like the feeling of the car trying to steer for me. (it also got confused a couple times when passing off ramps, or other times the painted lines would diverge.) The collision warning system was completely useless. It would go off at random when there was no cars (or other objects) in front of me, and the one time I did nearly get in an accident it was completely silent. Hopefully once you get into the Advance package the system is a little smarter and isn't just causing people to emergency brake in the middle of the highway for no reason.

Overall, I love the TLX. Whenever my 2G TL gives up the ghost I think the TLX will be the car to replace it.
The following users liked this post:
Warrior 6 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Thanks for your comments. I'm curious about your reference to a rear deck rattle - are you referring to this in relation to the sound system? Have never experienced that in my 2015 3.5 or my 2016 2.4. As for the collision warning system, the distance can be set. I have mine set longer to be on the safe side, but have never experienced it going off without a car actually in front of me within that distance.

As for the transmission i find that it is very well mated to this car, which is the main reason I switched from my 3.5 SH-AWD. It really does make the car quicker than it's 206 ponies would suggest. I haven't experienced the jerkiness you refer to, but perhaps coming from the 9 speed, i feel like i have died and gone to transmission heaven.

I must add that it's nice to see another person who appreciates the dual screens
Old 05-07-2016, 11:17 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Interesting perspective. Thanks.

I think the 6 cylinder alleviates most (if not all) of the performance related negatives and gets superior gas mileage. I have the v6 with SH-AWD. I'm not sure why anyone would buy a non-turbo 4 cylinder vehicle in this segment, but maybe that's just me.

I agree about the rear deck rattle. Mine is back after the dealer supposedly put matting back there. The subwoofer and sound system are really sub-par compared to my previous vehicles.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
As far as the LKAS, yes it takes some getting used to, and has a learning curve like you said when there is an off ramp it veers for a moment to the center. However, you get used to it real quick. Ive noticed myself fiddling with the radio for a moment and not paying attention and it kept me in my lane when I would have normally drifted a few feet out

And your tech pkg has FCW (forward collision warning) which all it does it warn you. The advance package gets CMBS (collison mitigation braking system) which will first warn you but if you dont apply the brakes it will do so on its own if it thinks it needs it. One time in traffic it tugged on my seat belt 3 times (oh yeah advance has seat belt tensioner) to slap my shoulder and say "hey stop!". In addition, your LKAS has LDW (lane departure warning) so if you cross the line it beeps at you to get back in your lane). In the advance, it has another mitigation system and it does not beep it actually vibrates the wheel back into the lane, super super cool!
Old 05-07-2016, 05:48 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks OP for posting about a number of the same things that I have found to be useless or annoying:

The LKAS system is the same on both models. The drive assist is a beta implementation and except for short use, is useless. The lane perception is poor and the warning goes off often as I think it cannot see the lines. In the rain, forget about it. Better cameras would probably help.

The "Brake" warning system is unreliable, and as the OP pointed out goes off at the wrong time. In fact, it has never gone off at the right time for me. Yes, I will have this looked at but it is interesting that someone else sees the same issue. Does always see an overpass on an uphill grade. Warns me I might hit it.

Radio background color choices and contrast, well, suck. I cannot see the sources icons clearly. The system is slow, and there are a number of selections that dont result in a vibrate or a beep, just a delay leaving me unsure if it registered by press.

The silver trim around dash vent is annoying to look at. The trim around the left and right most vents actually reflects into the outside mirror and is a distraction. A safety issue in my ming.

Some trim pieces are weird plastic that retains smudges. The lower panels on the doors are susceptible to marring that is not easily removed. The seat belts fling back and leave marring on the pillar plastic. Door Plaques are too susceptible to scratching.

Air fan is super loud for NO reason.

Seats do have limited range of motion and some motions are too controlled. Need 14 way. Sorry Lumbar should not count as a 2 of the ways.

Transmission is still too finicky or indecisive. Even on 2016.

Color choices limited. Black interior should be an option for all exterior colors. Brown leather, well they could have used a better brown (no offense meant to those that like it). Body needs a more aggressive look.

Tires...I mean come on...spend all that time making a luxury car and then choose crap tires...really Acura?

MPG in the city seems worse that the TSX considering how well the TLX does on the highway. It must be really bad now to so significantly offset highway.

Acura, Make a decision already, premium or not.

Acuralink. Wait, I have to pay to use the App to access my car? Have you used the voice directions though the service. Very unreliable. $359 for 3 years where the only valuable feature is the accident notification. But wait, it only works if the car is not so damaged that there is no electrical and occurs in a place where the built in cell phone has reception.

Oh, and for gosh sake...hire some real software engineers.

My favorite features:

Sound system
Quiet Cabin
Rear Camera Side warning which today went off and set the electronic brake saving me from backing up.
Drives nice
Feels tight and safe
Rear look
Front look

I do like the car but as this is my second Acura and attention to detail seems not to be a concern for Acura, I doubt I will buy another. Cant say for sure but since this year saw 0 improvements...I dont hold out too much hope.

Please Acura, prove me wrong.
The following users liked this post:
Warrior 6 (05-07-2016)
Old 05-07-2016, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Thanks for your comments. I'm curious about your reference to a rear deck rattle - are you referring to this in relation to the sound system? Have never experienced that in my 2015 3.5 or my 2016 2.4. As for the collision warning system, the distance can be set. I have mine set longer to be on the safe side, but have never experienced it going off without a car actually in front of me within that distance.

As for the transmission i find that it is very well mated to this car, which is the main reason I switched from my 3.5 SH-AWD. It really does make the car quicker than it's 206 ponies would suggest. I haven't experienced the jerkiness you refer to, but perhaps coming from the 9 speed, i feel like i have died and gone to transmission heaven.

I must add that it's nice to see another person who appreciates the dual screens
My TLX rear deck will buzz under some bass, which is ironic since I feel the ELS in the TLX has rather anemic sub power.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:07 PM
Intermediate

Three things that I forgot to mention:

1. Apparently the hands free phone is awful for whomever is on the other end of the call. I got multiple complaints from people where I have never had any in either my 03' TL (with aftermarket Kenwood radio) or my girlfriend's '12 Cadillac SRX.

2. The drivers seat felt almost loose when I would shift my weight. I would experience a slight rocking forward/backward. I suspect there is just a little too much play in the actuators, but I suppose it could have been something else.

3. The front passenger seat seemed to be lacking leg room. Its almost as if the firewall/foot board are farther back than need be. I've not seen under the hood of the V6 model, but from looking at the 2.4, there is more than enough room in the engine compartment to have brought everything forward a couple inches.

Side note on the LKAS... It wouldn't have bothered me as much if I could turn it off without also disabling cruise control, although to be fair, maybe I could and just never figured it out.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:10 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmead86
Side note on the LKAS... It wouldn't have bothered me as much if I could turn it off without also disabling cruise control, although to be fair, maybe I could and just never figured it out.
Just don't turn it on. Both the LKAS and LDW must be turned on to be active. And they are independent of the cruise control. The Owners Manual is your friend!
Old 05-08-2016, 07:44 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wlkeel
Just don't turn it on. Both the LKAS and LDW must be turned on to be active. And they are independent of the cruise control. The Owners Manual is your friend!
Fair enough. Unfortunately it was a service loaner and all that stuff was taken out. Didn't even have floor mats!
Old 05-08-2016, 11:39 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmead86
Fair enough. Unfortunately it was a service loaner and all that stuff was taken out. Didn't even have floor mats!
Right, I forgot that it was a loaner. In any case, you can turn them off. I use the LKAS frequently but have the LCW turned off (found it kind of annoying). I don't like the FCW since there are so many false alarms, and seldom an alert when I think there should be one. Unfortunately, if you turn it off, there is an annoying icon on the dash. So I just leave it on the least sensitive position. Works for me.