My 24 hours with a TLX loaner

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts
My 24 hours with a TLX loaner

I read the posts in this forum and the 3G forum frequently, but seldom post because I usually read it at work and my workplace blocks posting. But today I'm home so decided to post this.

My 07 TL Nav had a leaking oil pump so I brought it to the dealer for repair. Fortunately when I bought the car about 5.5 years ago I bought an extended warranty, which is still covering the car. I was given a '16 V6 base for a loaner. I only had it about 24 hours, and put about 60 miles on it, some city, some freeway.

A few observations:

I like the look of it much more now that I've been up close and personal with it. Clearly its styling is an evolution of the 3rd gen. I never liked the looks of the 4th gen. Yeah, exposed tips would improve it a little, but wouldn't be a deal breaker as is.

I liked the interior look somewhat less than the exterior. I don't know if it's different in a Tech or Advance, but the hard, not-so-fine grained plastic on the upper door panels and the dash looked and felt cheap to me. My TL has finer grained and
slightly soft plastic in those places.

The seat was comfortable, and the overall relationship to the
controls felt familiar. I didn't like the seat material, but if I ever buy a TLX it would be a Tech so not an issue. I liked that the seat slid backwards after shutting the engine down, though I can see that if someone normally sits far back that may not be a plus. The center stack styling is OK, nothing more. I actually liked the button controls for the transmission. I aimed the center left vent toward me like I do in my TL but the air mainly hit my right hand. I didn't try out the sound system/HVAC controls beyond turning the sound system on and picking an XM channel I like. Sound was just OK, my TL is better. Yes I know the sound system is upgraded in higher end models. It had no Nav so I can't compare that to mine. Back seat room looked a little tighter than my TL. The trunk looked roomier than the TL's. What's up with the driver side outside mirror? Looks like it has 2 sections and part of it gives a distorted view.

The power is good, seemed at least as quick as my TL. I found after I got back to work from the dealer that the IDS had been set to Econ. I changed it to Normal for the rest of the time I had it. Didn't try Sport or Sport +. I didn't notice any harsh shifting, but IMO 9 speeds is overkill. The steering effort is lighter than my TL. Though I prefer the effort level in my TL, I could get used to the TLX effort level. I didn't think the steering provided much road feel, but I thought that the P-AWS did have a small positive effect on low speed turns, but didn't notice it at freeway speeds. I drove it for a few minutes at night just to see how the LED headlights were. Seemed very good overall, with bright white light that seemed to extend farther to the sides than my TL's HIDs. I couldn't tell if the light extended as far down the road as the TL though.

Overall I liked the car enough that at some point I'll go test drive an SH-AWD Tech. If I like it I'd consider it for my next car. But I like my TL and am not in a hurry to get rid of it. It has only 90k miles on it and the timing belt and water pump were replaced under warranty at about 50k for a TSB issue. So maybe I'll be looking for a '16 in late 2018 when those cars start coming off their 3 year leases, which is how I got my TL.

The bill for my TL's oil pump replacement, along with an oil and filter change (I had 40% left) and the $30 for the loaner came to $999.85. My portion of that was $0.00 Before this repair I had about broken even on the cost of the warranty, so now I'm up $1k. I'm glad I bought the warranty.

Last edited by dregsfan; 03-17-2016 at 03:57 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by dregsfan:
9SpeedTran (03-18-2016), a35tl (03-17-2016), Curious3GTL (03-18-2016), hadokenuh (03-18-2016), LaCostaRacer (03-17-2016), rockstar143 (03-20-2016), weather (03-17-2016) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-17-2016, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by dregsfan
Didn't try Sport or Sport +.

Sport + is the only mode that has a throttle response that doesn't feel annoying to me (It was the same with my Bimmer). Too bad that it can't be set as default. But at the same time it is a bit too much aggressive and it always downshift unless you go manual, and this is what I do.

I also wish that upshifts were more immediate in manual mode; there is an hang that shouldn't be there.

I made peace with the dash and I generally like my cockpit.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
dregsfan....Great post and lots of very unbiased feedback. You should think about contributing on here more often....You provide good information.

Happy to see that you were able to recuperate (and then some) the cost of your extended warranty
Old 03-18-2016, 01:10 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
$30 for the loaner? Which dealership are you going to?

I just traded my 06 TL for a TLX. I agree that the interior materials are a bit of a step down from the 3rd gen TL, but the build quality is much much better. It's a nice step up from the 3rd gen TLs overall.

Also, all new Acuras and I believe that most of the new Hondas have the expanded driver's side view mirrors which curve out at the end of the mirror to give you an expanded view, but most people just see it as the mirror being distorted.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by pnoi521

I just traded my 06 TL for a TLX. I agree that the interior materials are a bit of a step down from the 3rd gen TL, but the build quality is much much better. It's a nice step up from the 3rd gen TLs overall.

Also, all new Acuras and I believe that most of the new Hondas have the expanded driver's side view mirrors which curve out at the end of the mirror to give you an expanded view, but most people just see it as the mirror being distorted.
It's sort of surprising to hear this! We hear so much on here how the TLX is such a step down from both the 3G and 4G! I happen to agree with you having owned all 3.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

The bill showed the $30 because extended warranty companies will pay for a day of rental when a covered repair is being performed. Acura also pays the dealer for a day of loaner use when new cars come in for warranty repairs or recalls. Had the customer been paying for this out of pocket I would be very surprised if the dealer would have been charging any fee for the loaner.
Old 03-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by weather
dregsfan....Great post and lots of very unbiased feedback. You should think about contributing on here more often....You provide good information.

Happy to see that you were able to recuperate (and then some) the cost of your extended warranty

Thanks. I've found much useful info on Acurazine about my 3G, and also on the TLX. Happy to return the favor!
Old 03-18-2016, 01:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by heisnuts
The bill showed the $30 because extended warranty companies will pay for a day of rental when a covered repair is being performed. Acura also pays the dealer for a day of loaner use when new cars come in for warranty repairs or recalls. Had the customer been paying for this out of pocket I would be very surprised if the dealer would have been charging any fee for the loaner.

Yes, the warranty company pays for the loaner if the repair is covered. The service advisor said that the $30 was on the bill because someone has to pay for it. I don't know if the loaner would have been free if I was paying for the repair out of pocket. All repair work I've had done there was covered by warranty, so I've never paid for the loaners.

The dealer is Elk Grove Acura. They've always provided me with an excellent service experience.
Old 03-18-2016, 02:31 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
To be perfectly honest, I was very worried about replacing my 2008 3G TL with the TLX. So I over researched the crap out of it, read every single review on all the car mags, read through all the forum posts.
I bought my 15' TLX SH-AWD Advance with $6k off MSRP and never looked back. It is remarkably quieter than the 3G with more power and I dont have to worry about torque steer anymore, especially in the rain when trying a quick maneuver and turning at the same time.

I never owned a 4G TL but have test driven several 2012-2014 models throughout the past few years thinking about upgrading. Those felt more "solid" than the TLX. Not quieter, but more solid. For example, the doors feel heavier when opening/closing whereas the TLX's doors feel light in comparison. Without a doubt, the TLX SH-AWD handles a lot better than the 3G. I take turns now that I would never ever do in a 3G as the understeer would slide me off the road. And that's with these crappier Goodyear LS2 tires. Once the treadlife on these things wind down I'm definitely stepping up to either Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 or Continental DWS 06's.

Material wise, theres pluses and minuses between the generations. Pluses outweight the minuses.
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (03-18-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 02:53 PM
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
Good review! I tend to agree with everything you've said! I absolutely love the 3G, and prior to purchasing my TLX I spent a lot of time looking at 2008 TL-S.... and part of me wishes I had gone with a very nice red example I looked at, but ultimately I ended up going with my TLX and overall I'm very happy with it!
Old 03-18-2016, 03:02 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
I also got a TLX as a loaner while my RL was in for a couple recalls.

I actually thought it was an ILX at first because of how small it was, interior was meh I honestly wasn't too impressed. The new shifter they use I absolutely HATE. First 10min I wanted out of it... Until I found Sport +. Needless to say I broke it in real well for them.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:43 PM
Racer

A couple of things I forgot to mention:

The TLX is MUCH quieter inside than my TL. Less road noise overall, and wind noise is well suppressed. I looked at the door edge seals and could see why. They're much thicker than those on my TL

The ride was firm but resilient. I liked it. I can't compare with my TL since I didn't buy it new, and mine has 90k on the original shocks and suspension.

The TLX, at least the one I drove, didn't have a good sense of straight ahead on the freeway, meaning I found myself constantly making tiny steering corrections to keep going straight, much more than I do with my TL. Don't know if it's just that particular car. I hope so.

I didn't have any opportunity to test it's cornering ability or the sport modes. That will have to wait until I can take one for a real road test.
Old 03-18-2016, 04:09 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

The TLX is MUCH quieter inside than my TL. Less road noise overall, and wind noise is well suppressed. I looked at the door edge seals and could see why. They're much thicker than those on my TL

The ride was firm but resilient. I liked it. I can't compare with my TL since I didn't buy it new, and mine has 90k on the original shocks and suspension.

The TLX, at least the one I drove, didn't have a good sense of straight ahead on the freeway, meaning I found myself constantly making tiny steering corrections to keep going straight, much more than I do with my TL. Don't know if it's just that particular car. I hope so.

I didn't have any opportunity to test it's cornering ability or the sport modes. That will have to wait until I can take one for a real road test.
I forgot to comment on one more thing. Yes, the TLX is much more quieter than the 3G TL. It's even quieter than the BMW 3 series I test drove before purchasing the the TLX. The car mags also confirm this.

The ride quality is also better than the 3G since the wheels have a thicker tire. The 3G TL was 235/45/17 while the V6 TLX is 225/50/18 or 225/55/17 for i4's. Plus I thought I remember reading somewhere the suspension on the TLX is 2 stage. Its smooth while riding around on smoother surfaces and has another stage to minimize impacts such as pot holes. I remember whenever I hit potholes in my 3G it was jarring! It felt like the car would fall apart. The TLX definitely has smoothed out impacts and road perfections in addition to its quietness.

Another thing, for those of you debating on whether to go FWD or AWD(if you dont already have a 4G AWD that is). Go with AWD. I dont know how the hell I lived all these years without SH-AWD. I had a 3G TL since Feb 2007 until Oct 2015. Forget about the slight loss in MPG. The handling does not compare.

Last edited by reddogTL; 03-18-2016 at 04:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by reddogTL:
Stew4HD (03-18-2016), youngTL (03-19-2016)
Old 03-18-2016, 08:21 PM
Registered TL Owner

...The dealer is Elk Grove Acura. They've always provided me with an excellent service experience.
Ahhh makes sense. Elk Grove Acura is the only Acura dealership that I've been to that shows a charge for the loaner, although the charge has always been waived. I bought my TLX from them and plan on having it serviced there. It just sucks that they're so far from me since I live near Roseville, but the Niello service department has this arrogant attitude that I can't stand. I was going to buy my car from Niello until I found out that their sales manager's attitudes are even worse than their service advisors.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:25 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
It's sort of surprising to hear this! We hear so much on here how the TLX is such a step down from both the 3G and 4G! I happen to agree with you having owned all 3.
There's a lot of negativity and hate on here when it comes to the TLX. I can see where people are coming from most of the time, but sometimes I think they're just being overly critical.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:07 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
By the way dregsfan, you can turn off the seat sliding back feature if you find it annoying. Also changing the IDS to Sport brings the steering effort and throttle response up, I prefer it on Sport all the time.

I too had a 3G TL. The TLX is better in most ways. The only things I don't like are the door cards and the speaker area at the back (materials wise). The plastics are better quality than the ones in my 3G, and so is the leather. My 3G had a rubbery feel.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:46 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
There's a lot of negativity and hate on here when it comes to the TLX. I can see where people are coming from most of the time, but sometimes I think they're just being overly critical.
I think there are a number of things that Acura continues to cling too that are dated and silly. We all want our Acura's to live up to the expectations the company says they are delivering. But they need to realize they are not and start listening to customer comments and suggestions.

I do love my TLX but having come from a TSX I see MANY things that should not exist any more but do. The Infotainment software is a prime example. I mean its just silly seemingly designed by people who don't actually use it. Bad colors, confusing menus. Let talk voice command. Why in the world do I need to identify a group of voice commands first? I should be able to say "Fan 5" or "Lower fan speed". The computer should do the heavy lifting and figure out its climate control based.

Yes, the TLX is a step up fro the TSX in many ways...but Acura will never achieve the level of brand loyalty and excellence they desire until they stop relying on old thinking. The need to take a cue from the NSX team and start listening to customers and thinking outside the box.

I am sure they think they are responsive, but I see zero evidence of this demonstrated anywhere.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:40 AM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
how exactly is TLX is step up on TSX in many ways? TSX can pull more gs and have higher slolam run both C&D and Consumer reports gave higher marks.

when you park that TLX next to my 8 year old TSX. TLX quality is far below and TSX noise levels are almost equal with summer performance tires. TLX is more closer to the family cars like Accord and Altima.

Name:  IMG_20160316_204301202_zpsvoshdl4s.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  148.0 KB
Old 03-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Suzuka Master

^ Did we step on your toes?
The following 2 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
BEAR-AvHistory (03-20-2016), wlkeel (03-20-2016)
Old 03-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
By the way dregsfan, you can turn off the seat sliding back feature if you find it annoying. Also changing the IDS to Sport brings the steering effort and throttle response up, I prefer it on Sport all the time.

I too had a 3G TL. The TLX is better in most ways. The only things I don't like are the door cards and the speaker area at the back (materials wise). The plastics are better quality than the ones in my 3G, and so is the leather. My 3G had a rubbery feel.
This is the joke right?
I had TLX advance awd as a loaner for few days and the biggest downer is interior of the car. Materials, all the plastics should belong in honda not in Acura. Same thing goes with MDX, it feels so cheap, everything... But it drives ok.. I had quite few Acuras in the past and this generation is worst material wise... especially compered to competition...
Now i need new sedan and there is nothing in current Acura fleet. Will be buying 13-14 TL when that airbag recall is over.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:03 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by EricInMaryland
I think there are a number of things that Acura continues to cling too that are dated and silly. We all want our Acura's to live up to the expectations the company says they are delivering. But they need to realize they are not and start listening to customer comments and suggestions.

I do love my TLX but having come from a TSX I see MANY things that should not exist any more but do. The Infotainment software is a prime example. I mean its just silly seemingly designed by people who don't actually use it. Bad colors, confusing menus. Let talk voice command. Why in the world do I need to identify a group of voice commands first? I should be able to say "Fan 5" or "Lower fan speed". The computer should do the heavy lifting and figure out its climate control based.

Yes, the TLX is a step up fro the TSX in many ways...but Acura will never achieve the level of brand loyalty and excellence they desire until they stop relying on old thinking. The need to take a cue from the NSX team and start listening to customers and thinking outside the box.

I am sure they think they are responsive, but I see zero evidence of this demonstrated anywhere.
I know what you're saying. It's frustrating how Acura is moving so slowly to progress with their vehicles. They've been a talking a good game lately, so hopefully they'll be able to back it. Acura could be so much better than they are but they just seem too lazy to put in the effort.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:07 PM
Registered TL Owner

^ Did we step on your toes?
Everyone steps on his and/or her toes without even doing anything.

But maaaan that is one ugly TSX. Looks like a Buick that got rear ended, tumbled off a cliff, caught on fire, then was reconstructed to look like Trump.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
coming from a 4G SH-AWD, and multiple Acura SUV's, the TLX does not live up to its predecessors. I think the majority of us that have voiced negative opinions are disappointed with Acura, not pooing on anyone that bought one.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:14 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
This is the joke right?
I had TLX advance awd as a loaner for few days and the biggest downer is interior of the car. Materials, all the plastics should belong in honda not in Acura. Same thing goes with MDX, it feels so cheap, everything... But it drives ok.. I had quite few Acuras in the past and this generation is worst material wise... especially compered to competition...
Now i need new sedan and there is nothing in current Acura fleet. Will be buying 13-14 TL when that airbag recall is over.
Materials wise it's 4G (first) > 5G > 3G (last). My 3G had pretty bad leather and the painted plastic was of lower quality than the same stuff in the TLX. I think you're romanticizing the 3G. As someone who had both cars simultaneously parked in my garage for 2 months, I think I have a good perspective.

There are some things that are cheaper (such as the door cards and rear deck). The leather and the centre console plastics are a big step up (but a step down from the 4G TL).

And while the new Accord is quite nice, the seat material in the touring and also the plastics are a step down as well from the TLX. I heavily considered it before purchasing and went on several back to back test drives.

Last edited by youngTL; 03-19-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:54 PM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
My buddy just got an accord touring. Very nice but the TLX has it beat by a mile. My 2nd gen TLS had better interior than my 3rd gen and the TLX beats both as well. I never cared for the TSX interior as it felt incomplete in a lot of areas.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SSFTSX
how exactly is TLX is step up on TSX in many ways? TSX can pull more gs and have higher slolam run both C&D and Consumer reports gave higher marks.

when you park that TLX next to my 8 year old TSX. TLX quality is far below and TSX noise levels are almost equal with summer performance tires. TLX is more closer to the family cars like Accord and Altima.

Umm what?

Are we talking about the same TSX here? My '13 TSX that I traded out of was excellent, felt great inside, I loved everything about it, but as far as quality levels go the TSX was far from excellent. 400 miles into ownership my key started to rattle, the road noise was good, but not great. The bluetooth mic was subpar, the car would making a cranking sound on cold starts. All of these problems were solved by Acura, to only show up months later again.

Don't get me wrong, the TSX is a great car, I loved my ownership through the 3 years I had it, but saying the TLX is a step down in quality from the TSX makes absolutely no sense. Sure, it may not be using German ultra-lux finishes but that also is reflected at it's price point.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:04 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
As far as interior materials go I think it's 3G>4G>5G. I have all three generations in my garage, just my opinion. My 4G TL does have the best seats though. And I hate how the back part of the seat in the TLX doesn't have that firm backing, feels very cheap. The cost cutting seems to be getting worse and worse with every new generation, I don't know when it will end.

I love the design of the TLX interior, but I've had Camry XSE and Impala LT rentals that seem almost as nice on the inside, especially with the Impala's stitched leatherette dash and upper door trim. Overall, the TLX's interior materials are pretty disappointing. Seems like they could've done more with it, but instead threw a ton of soft plastic on the upper parts of the doors and dash. I wish the strip covering the airbag that's above the glove box was stitched leather. The doors are very plain and boring, they should've used more aluminum and wood trim. Still love the car though!
Old 03-19-2016, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
Materials wise it's 4G (first) > 5G > 3G (last). My 3G had pretty bad leather and the painted plastic was of lower quality than the same stuff in the TLX. I think you're romanticizing the 3G. As someone who had both cars simultaneously parked in my garage for 2 months, I think I have a good perspective.

There are some things that are cheaper (such as the door cards and rear deck). The leather and the centre console plastics are a big step up (but a step down from the 4G TL).

And while the new Accord is quite nice, the seat material in the touring and also the plastics are a step down as well from the TLX. I heavily considered it before purchasing and went on several back to back test drives.

Well i dont know why you say leather is better in tlx compared to tl-s. It is to early to tell, when i sold mine tl-s it had 93k, there was now tears or rips it was in brand new condition...it had Milano leather seats...
What center console plastics are step up for you? In TL-S there was painted silver plastic around shifter and gauges that was on the cheaper side compared to TLX, thats about it.
I really dont think that memory foam dash or door panels screams luxury. it feels like rubber lol... and 4G tl feels like different class..
And i never said Accord is better car, just that TLX interior materials should be used in Honda not Acura.
Anyways i am not saying that is bad car, but it is definitely step back from 4g. it is like going from tsx to rsx lol.
It is well sorted car, nice acceleration, not bad suspension, excellent headlights, shytty fogs, slow transmission, ELS sounds really tiny compared to older acuras with ELS...
I am not impressed at all it is not 40k car at his point... 35k maybe but not more.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:18 PM
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

How exactly? In almost every measurable way. TLX noise levels are wayyyy lower than the TSX, and hate to break it to you but the TSX is an accord. it's just the Euro spec accord. I do agree the TLX does fall short on a few areas, but just b/c something "pulls more gs" doesn't make it better.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:09 AM
Registered TL Owner

I'd have to agree with the 4G > 5G >3G opinion as far as interior materials.

As others have mentioned though it also bothers me that they cut costs on the seat backs (inside of pockets) and also the rear deck area. I couldn't believe it when I saw that the rear deck and C-pillars are hard plastics as opposed to cloth covered in my 06 TL. I'm kind of disappointed with the leather in the TLX. It only seems marginally better than the leather in my 3G.
The following users liked this post:
E90 Skye (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 01:08 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by skwrl10r
Umm what?

Are we talking about the same TSX here? My '13 TSX that I traded out of was excellent, felt great inside, I loved everything about it, but as far as quality levels go the TSX was far from excellent. 400 miles into ownership my key started to rattle, the road noise was good, but not great. The bluetooth mic was subpar, the car would making a cranking sound on cold starts. All of these problems were solved by Acura, to only show up months later again.

Don't get me wrong, the TSX is a great car, I loved my ownership through the 3 years I had it, but saying the TLX is a step down in quality from the TSX makes absolutely no sense. Sure, it may not be using German ultra-lux finishes but that also is reflected at it's price point.
TSX materials/fit/finish quality went way down after 2011 earth quake.
certain things are not obvious to visual eyes and certain things need to be open.
think about it. how Acura can sell 19 inch TLX accessory wheels at same price as they were selling 18 inch accessory wheels in 2008 for TSX. do they not have inflation in accessory wheels as only 1% of Acura cars have those accessory wheels. Those TLX wheels cannot deal with 8 years of breakdust and curb rashes at same quality as TSX accessory wheels.
this picture is taken in 2015. after 7 years of car ownership. you can see the Accord hybrid on other side.
Name:  TSX_2015_zpsbesmutdr.jpg
Views: 184
Size:  111.5 KB

Last edited by SSFTSX; 03-20-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:25 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by E90 Skye
How exactly? In almost every measurable way. TLX noise levels are wayyyy lower than the TSX, and hate to break it to you but the TSX is an accord. it's just the Euro spec accord. I do agree the TLX does fall short on a few areas, but just b/c something "pulls more gs" doesn't make it better.
In EU Acura NSX becomes Honda NSX. so?. pulling more gs with all season tires is fundamental for car handling. TLX fall short in all areas. it has much wider turning circle. it need high x section tires to maintain comfort. it does not have more legroom in the rear. the seats are narrow.

Old 03-20-2016, 06:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I noticed ours does this when in cruise and LKAS is activated. It actually seems to stay in the middle of the lane lines and it's not the pulsing warning. When I turn it off it goes away. A little strange but I'll get used to it. I do like the cruise in moderate high speed traffic, no more hitting the brakes and then reactivating it. Takes a lot of stress out of those long drives.
Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Racer

TSX quieter...laughable. I drove the 2014 TSX, so I think I know when I am in a better car, and the TLX is better. I can't figure out the rest of what you said.

After driving the TSX for a while I was very disappointed and that's why I moved up. Mostly due to noise, comfort and a really crappy infotainment system (but I could go on). It was a ten year run that did not change much in 10 years. The tech was limited and unreliable, the sound system marginal. In no way a $36K car as it was MSRP'd. Good thing I only paid $28K.

I wont lie, the TLX does have issues but they are not as enjoyment impacting as they were in the TSX. I am putting together a list, as I did for the TSX, and will send it along to Acura and probably post out on Edmunds.

My biggest complaints with Acura in general are infotainment, attention to detail, body style, color blindness, continued poor city MPG and their inability to write software. Much of this persists in even their current models.

That said, and to be balanced, I love the Acura/TLX 8speed engine, RELIABILITY!, Low cost of ownership, the handling, the comfort, better driver seat alignment, LED headlights, LEDs inside, better leather, 3d navigation and sound system.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Racer

I know what you're saying. It's frustrating how Acura is moving so slowly to progress with their vehicles. They've been a talking a good game lately, so hopefully they'll be able to back it. Acura could be so much better than they are but they just seem too lazy to put in the effort.
Would be great to see. I am hopeful that in 3years the TLX will be most everything I expect.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:08 AM
Racer

TSX materials/fit/finish quality went way down after 2011 earth quake.
certain things are not obvious to visual eyes and certain things need to be open.
think about it. how Acura can sell 19 inch TLX accessory wheels at same price as they were selling 18 inch accessory wheels in 2008 for TSX. do they not have inflation in accessory wheels as only 1% of Acura cars have those accessory wheels. Those TLX wheels cannot deal with 8 years of breakdust and curb rashes at same quality as TSX accessory wheels.
this picture is taken in 2015. after 7 years of car ownership. you can see the Accord hybrid on other side.
Sorry but I dont think anyone is following your thought process. Mostly, and with no actual facts, you are drawing conclusions and taking things too personally. I am entitled to my opinion as a TSX and now TLX owner.

Hopefully in a few years the TLX will meet your standards.

Last edited by EricInMaryland; 03-20-2016 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:10 AM
Racer

In EU Acura NSX becomes Honda NSX. so?. pulling more gs with all season tires is fundamental for car handling. TLX fall short in all areas. it has much wider turning circle. it need high x section tires to maintain comfort. it does not have more legroom in the rear. the seats are narrow.

Sounds like you're driving a Accord...sure you have the right vehicle?

And what the heck is GS?
Old 03-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Suzuka Master

The OP posted his opinion of the TLX after having it as a loaner. How does that equate to making you feel the need to defend your TSX? .. just wondering.

You love your TSX, that is awesome! No one said your car isn't nice. Acura makes good cars that are made to last! We all win! *bow*
The following 3 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
a35tl (03-20-2016), E90 Skye (03-20-2016), wlkeel (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 11:13 AM
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts
The TSX looks to be in terrific condition but the exterior shots are of a white car and the interior shot is of a gray car.

We all know that the JDM and Euro Honda Accord was sold here as an Acura TSX.

Does that mean that our TLX is the same as a Honda Accord in Japan and Europe?

Last edited by catbert430; 03-20-2016 at 11:14 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2016, 12:17 PM
Safety Car

The OP posted his opinion of the TLX after having it as a loaner. How does that equate to making you feel the need to defend your TSX? .. just wondering.

You love your TSX, that is awesome! No one said your car isn't nice. Acura makes good cars that are made to last! We all win! *bow*
there is poster who said TLX is upgrade in several ways from TSX.
only due to quality and reliability, highly ergonoimc interior TSX could compete against more expensive and powerfull cars.
its perfection like no other Acura vehcile designed and made before. The car didnot need any extensive MMC. Acura simply didnot introduce the Type S/GT or SH-AWD system. otherwise it will be at the top of the world.
whole weight is one side of the car.

Name:  TSX_mirror_zpseloaomgi.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  167.2 KB

Quick Reply: My 24 hours with a TLX loaner