Looking for Advice from those who came from a 6MT to the TLX

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Looking for Advice from those who came from a 6MT to the TLX

Hello all,
Long time lurker. I currently own a 2008 TSX that has been a great car. It has 225,000 miles on it and is beginning to have expensive issues. The car has be been great and I still love it, but the clutch is in need of replacement and I need to replace the serpentine belt, and the rear brakes. I just did the front brakes and both front axles to the tune of $1200. The clutch, serpentine and brakes will tally at least $2300, and I'm weary to put that much into it and then have something else major happen in the next 12 months. So... I'm looking at the TLX.

Haven't driven it yet, but I'm pretty sold in an I4 Tech, because of the DCT. My question is this... For those who came from a 6MT to the DCT, are you disappointed? I absolutely love rowing my own. I'm in my mid 40s and still love a manual - I've driven stick since 93 (all Acuras) except for a 4 year stint that I had a Maxima with an auto, and I couldn't wait to get back to a stick. I'm worried in may regret it.

So, for those that made the switch, how is it? Any regrets?

I could get my TSX serviced, or even look to get another one used, but there are many pluses to the TLX like modern safety features, better quieter ride and better mileage. Plus I keep my cars for 8+ years so I don't mind buying new knowing I'll keep it for a long haul.

Thanks for your (forthcoming) help. Love this forum and all of the advice/info.
The following users liked this post:
benjaminh (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by datadr
Hello all,
Long time lurker. I currently own a 2008 TSX that has been a great car. It has 225,000 miles on it and is beginning to have expensive issues. The car has be been great and I still love it, but the clutch is in need of replacement and I need to replace the serpentine belt, and the rear brakes. I just did the front brakes and both front axles to the tune of $1200. The clutch, serpentine and brakes will tally at least $2300, and I'm weary to put that much into it and then have something else major happen in the next 12 months. So... I'm looking at the TLX.

Haven't driven it yet, but I'm pretty sold in an I4 Tech, because of the DCT. My question is this... For those who came from a 6MT to the DCT, are you disappointed? I absolutely love rowing my own. I'm in my mid 40s and still love a manual - I've driven stick since 93 (all Acuras) except for a 4 year stint that I had a Maxima with an auto, and I couldn't wait to get back to a stick. I'm worried in may regret it.

So, for those that made the switch, how is it? Any regrets?

I could get my TSX serviced, or even look to get another one used, but there are many pluses to the TLX like modern safety features, better quieter ride and better mileage. Plus I keep my cars for 8+ years so I don't mind buying new knowing I'll keep it for a long haul.

Thanks for your (forthcoming) help. Love this forum and all of the advice/info.
I was in your EXACT same shoes a couple of weeks ago. I owned a 2009 6MT and was looking for a 12/13/14 6MT to relive those glory days. I had a hard time finding one with low miles/mint condition so I, on a whim really, test drove a TLX 2.4 and a new ILX Aspec. The TLX 2.4 DCT is like the TSX that grew into his early 30s from his late 20s...if that makes sense. I'm floored with how quiet this thing is, how comfortable, and how feature rich it is. Those were my biggest complaints about the TSX 6MT. Now, the TSX weighed less, was a bit more fun to throw around, and yes rowing your own is fun. The DCT impresses me because it does shift LIGHTNING quick, rev matches the downshifts and....if you have to go automatic....is the way to go. While I'm sure the TSX is a blast to throw around (and still look at....a timeless design), the notion of not having the most basic tech features (back up camera, decent blue tooth system, navi, etc) was enough to convince me to move up to the TLX.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
You will miss the manual transmission. It's not about if DCT is better or not, you will miss shifting.
The following 2 users liked this post by cabanalane:
silverTL6 (08-31-2015), TacoBello (08-25-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 05:21 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm sort of in this boat too, although I have less urgency since my manual is a 2008 Accord with only 75k miles.

The paddle shifters on the DCT should help, I'm guessing. I'm also very tempted by the TLX.

But if you really want a manual, one possibility might be the somewhat new 2016 Accord EX 6MT. The EX now has XM/HD radio, pushbutton start/smart entry, CarPlay/AndroidAuto, etc.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:24 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Paddle Shifters will not help...

You will miss shifting. I say try to find a 6MT 2G TSX....
Old 08-21-2015, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Thanks... I have tried to look for a 6MT 2G TSX, but the main issue is I want the tech, which relegates me to a 2009 or 2010, since they stopped making the Tech 6MT starting in 2011.

I've considered the Accord also, but same thing. Why is it that Acura/Honda only puts the 6MT on the lower/mid models? I know they say the uptake on manuals is really low, but maybe its because the high end only comes in auto and everyone opts for that. 😐

I also looked at the 4G TL, but I don't like the looks at all... Never did.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Yeah, trust me, I WISH the TLX 2.4 was a 6MT, would have donated a non-vital organ for that one. However, after searching for 6 weeks non stop on Autotrader, Ebay, etc for a newish TSX 6MT that wasn't 1000+ miles away and just ending up frustrated I drove the TLX and instantly knew that is what I would want. Just drive it and see what you think. You may love it or it may reinforce your desire to find that perfece 2g TSX 6MT; everyone is different and has different tastes.

Last edited by cammy5; 08-21-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:21 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Nothing is ever going to replace manuals, but the Honda DCT in the 2.4 TLX is a masterpiece, IMHO. Loved every second test driving it.
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
cammy5 (08-21-2015), wlkeel (08-22-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 09:46 PM
Instructor

Thanks.

Cabanalane - I know the DCT isn't "better", but what I'm trying to get a feel for is the TLX experience enough to forgive it.

Clammy, my guess is the 6MT will make an appearance in another year or two... maybe MY2017 or 18. But that doesn't help my situation now, of course. I will take a long test drive and see how I feel. There have been times more recently that ive wondered if an auto might be nice... usually in traffic. ��

Thanks for the advice and feedback everyone. Anything else that you can contribute, please do. Appreciate it!
Old 08-21-2015, 11:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Why is it that Acura/Honda only puts the 6MT on the lower/mid models? I know they say the uptake on manuals is really low, but maybe its because the high end only comes in auto and everyone opts for that.
They know because when it was offered, few bought them. Dealers only need a few a year, so lets say you order a Black one. A customer comes in and he wants White. Do you order a second? Try to find one from another dealer who is WILLING to trade? What about stocking manuals in the base trim? Do you get a white one? What if the customer comes in and wants a black? In this regard, low volume doesn't work as well for the dealer.

In the end, the numbers don't work. Acura sold 33,000 TSXs in 2009, if 10% were manuals, you'd be looking at 3300 units. Divide this by 12 months and it's 275 per month which is ~1 car per dealer per month. BUT, the take rate for manuals is between 3-5% so that's less than 1 car per dealer every 2 months. That's 6 cars a year, is that worth it? To the manual buyer, yes, but hard to justify otherwise for Acura manufacturing.
The following 4 users liked this post by Colin:
a35tl (08-22-2015), cammy5 (08-22-2015), kurtatx (08-22-2015), Stew4HD (08-22-2015)
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the same boat now with a fun manual car that is getting costly and burdensome to repair and looking to possibly trade it before a major issue happens. Gravitating toward TLX but hesitant to go DCT. In my search for a fun, reliable, 6MT daily driver I am considering an Accord EX/Sport 6MT. It's bigger but it gets glowing reviews and there is some flexibility on price of `15s and features and changes with the mid cycle refresh '16s on their way. A new 2015 sport manual $24k sticker can be had for $21k. Not an Acura but can buy some time (2-3 years) as operating costs/depreciation will be minimal until other options show up. Tradeoffs between luxury and rowing gears.
Old 08-22-2015, 07:49 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by akaczr
I am in the same boat now with a fun manual car that is getting costly and burdensome to repair and looking to possibly trade it before a major issue happens. Gravitating toward TLX but hesitant to go DCT. In my search for a fun, reliable, 6MT daily driver I am considering an Accord EX/Sport 6MT. It's bigger but it gets glowing reviews and there is some flexibility on price of `15s and features and changes with the mid cycle refresh '16s on their way. A new 2015 sport manual $24k sticker can be had for $21k. Not an Acura but can buy some time (2-3 years) as operating costs/depreciation will be minimal until other options show up. Tradeoffs between luxury and rowing gears.
Yeah, the deals on the last of the 2015 Accords are amazing right now. I was quoted $5000 off of sticker on one of them. And you might want to check this out....Edmunds right now has an exclusive extra $500 rebate direct from Honda. You have to get a special code from them that you then bring to the dealer.

New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing | Edmunds.com
Old 08-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
Thanks... I have tried to look for a 6MT 2G TSX, but the main issue is I want the tech, which relegates me to a 2009 or 2010, since they stopped making the Tech 6MT starting in 2011.

I've considered the Accord also, but same thing. Why is it that Acura/Honda only puts the 6MT on the lower/mid models? I know they say the uptake on manuals is really low, but maybe its because the high end only comes in auto and everyone opts for that. 😐

I also looked at the 4G TL, but I don't like the looks at all... Never did.

You might look at an Accord EX, still available with 6MT. It's not an Acura, but it is pretty quiet and tight. For '16, it comes with even more tech features, such as XM/HD radio, HomeLink and other niceties. It also has keyless entry, backup cam, etc. The motor/trans combo is very, very nice. The biggest downside is that in the sedan, you can't get nav or leather with the 6MT. The car has been clocked at 6.6 0-60, so it's plenty quick. Our '13 readily gets 40+ mpg on the highway.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:52 AM
Instructor

Thanks, guys. I've considered the Accord, but I do want the finer things offered like nav, better audio system, etc. And yes, I realize that becomes the tradeoff.

Colin, I completely understand your point. As a business owner myself, I realize Honda can't operate against the minority... to do so would just mean higher prices across the board to compensate manufacturing (eroding the value prop), but even that wouldn't alleviate the issue dealers face.

I'm going to drive it. Some of the things that really draw me to the TLX is the better highway machine... quieter ride, more safety features, more luxurious appointments, etc. I'm also 13 years older now since my last auto, and my appetite may have changed.

I've tried lately while I'm driving to take inventory of why I like the 6MT so much. Yes, it has to do with manually engaging the car, but one thing I really dislike about autos is the constant need to brake... in the MT, I often control speed and pace simply with the accelerator. Off to slow down, on to speed up. When driving my wife's auto, slowing down to roll up to a light, or on a back road, or in traffic means braking. In my MT I can do much of that with just the gas pedal. This is one of my biggest concerns. I think I over-analyze this stuff too much.

Thanks all. I found another, older thread last night that pretty much mirrors this one with additional advice. Lets see how the test drive goes.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Get a BMW or Audi and call it a day...the last manufacturers to offer a proper MT 'luxury' daily driver. Everyone else has gone to the shitter...

I picked up an 06 6MT TL at the start of the year that I'll probably drive another 3-4 years or so (primary vehicle is a motorcycle, so its mostly my winter car), then I'm planning on either one of those Germans, I plan on buying another bike as my next large purchase though so the TL will have to keep me happy.

If I got the money to spend I'd love a 2013 M5 6MT, the last year they made those ungodly beasts. Now you've got to settle for 4 series and below...For Audi its A/S5 and below, no MT in the RS line

Last edited by LoneRonin; 08-22-2015 at 09:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:43 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
but one thing I really dislike about autos is the constant need to brake... in the MT, I often control speed and pace simply with the accelerator. Off to slow down, on to speed up. When driving my wife's auto, slowing down to roll up to a light, or on a back road, or in traffic means braking.
I know you're looking at the I4 DCT so I don't think this is an option but the ACC does an amazing job of keeping your feet off either the brake or the gas pedals. I just set it and it maintains the proper speed for me (also limits my road rage with yo-yo drivers in front of me).

I had never owned an auto until my last car and I always had manual, performance cars. I was hesitant to move to an AT, but now I prefer the drives without the need to engage all the gears. Most cars now seem to offer a "substitute manual" with paddle or gear shifters as in my old CTS, but nothing really fills the void. I still love to row my own, but now I appreciate the driving experience without having to constantly shift up and down.

It's going to ultimately be up to you and I think you'll adapt just fine, but you'll need to first put your butt in a few ATs and see how you like the driving.

Good luck!
cammy5 (08-22-2015)
Old 08-23-2015, 10:02 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
I know you're looking at the I4 DCT so I don't think this is an option but the ACC does an amazing job of keeping your feet off either the brake or the gas pedals. I just set it and it maintains the proper speed for me (also limits my road rage with yo-yo drivers in front of me).

I had never owned an auto until my last car and I always had manual, performance cars. I was hesitant to move to an AT, but now I prefer the drives without the need to engage all the gears. Most cars now seem to offer a "substitute manual" with paddle or gear shifters as in my old CTS, but nothing really fills the void. I still love to row my own, but now I appreciate the driving experience without having to constantly shift up and down.

It's going to ultimately be up to you and I think you'll adapt just fine, but you'll need to first put your butt in a few ATs and see how you like the driving.

Good luck!
I have e had only 3 autos in my 25 car ownership. The DCT in the TLX is undoubtedly the best auto I have tried but still I wouldn't be without the paddles, especially in my usual home which is pretty hilly. But I still way prefer the MT in my 2012 TSX. You may not notice any economy improvement. It's small enough to be insignificant (though excellent in both). It is way comfier and quieter, and I have accepted this as the trade off for a more boring drive. If the 16 Accord Sport (with the optional sport grille), 60/40, and in Canada, with the sun roof I probably would have gone with that, though I feel sure its ride on 19s will be crap. Love it's available in a proper red... In the US at least, dunno about Canada yet. The TLX in Canada has a few other creature comforts - heated steering wheel, remote start, that the Accord doesn't. Much as I do like the TLX it would have been better still with a manual. I also prefer the Accords styling BTW. Both are great cars.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:39 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Actually, there was a TECH 6MT option for the 2011 model. I have one. BUT, they are very hard to find as line production was halted for awhile due to the Japan earthquake/tsunami.

I faced your same decision a few weeks ago, as my lease was ending. I ended up buying the 2011 as the residual was so low. But the TLX 2.4 BWP/Espresso was a very tempting upgrade. The dealer let me take a loaner over the weekend, and offered sign-and-drive lease rate of less than $375, which is great considering my tax rate is 10 percent.

And I agree, the host of safety features and the low NVH are big improvements over the 2G TSX.

In the end, I thought I would regret giving up the 6MT. I decided to revisit the TLX purchase in 2017, when it hopefully has an MMC and some of the software/firmware bugs get worked out. (And maybe the miracle of an MT.)

One pet peeve about the TLX was the cost of adding fog lights and a donut spare tire is about $1500. Both were standard in my TSX.

To refresh my car, I gave it some detailing TLC and some new accessories, like aluminum pedals.

Take a test drive of a 2012-2014 SE 6MT edition. You may not miss the TECH features. And if you buy CPO, your warranty extends for several more years.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:34 AM
Instructor

Thanks, all. Kixo, that's good to know... I'll check cars.com to see about 2011s.

LoneRonin, thanks, but honestly, while the German autos are definitely of a higher caliber, the reliability factor alone rules them out, and that's aside from the cost factor. I know the TLX can be optioned to the mid 40s, but that isn't what I'm looking for... I want the I4, which means mid 30s.

I'm going to give it a good test drive, and there is a recent used TL with a 6MT at the dealer also.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I recently rode in a friend's BMW 535i Xdrive and was not really impressed with the interior quality. To me, it looked a bit cheap and dated.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I came from a 2010 6mt tsx and have been driving manual since i started driving. imo, they put too short gearing in it for such a big car and heavy car. being in 6th gear at 60km/h (approx 40mph) grew tiresome. also, the drive by wire took away from the feel of the car too, it was not as fun as my previous RSX with the same engine/trans.

i thought i wasn't going to like the 8spd in the TLX until i drove one, the quickness of the shifts and the rev matching keep you entertained, plus the amount of gears you can cycle through is fun. granted i have another 5spd car but i don't drive that very often, but the TLX is still fun and then you can just chill when in traffic. great balance for a daily drive imo.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
Meh the navigation is meh anyway. Just use your phone as navigation, one less thing to update every other year.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 PM
Instructor

Thanks, Flexin5. I too had an RSX before this (type S), which was a hoot - but with the kids it became too small. And I agree with you - it is tiresome at highway speeds - @65MPH, it runs just over 3K RPM - I know the TLX would be a much better highway machine.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by miner
I recently rode in a friend's BMW 535i Xdrive and was not really impressed with the interior quality. To me, it looked a bit cheap and dated.
Agree completely. Just one of the reasons I passed on one when I purchased my TL.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:30 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Have you driven a new GTI? They offer MT's and the 2.0 turbo is quite fun (my buddy has one) and you can get one nicely loaded for the low 30's.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:41 AM
TL-S

Received 412 Likes on 365 Posts
If you love driving manual that much, no amount of other features will distract you from that.

I would get a 13' TL 6MT
Old 08-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Have you driven a new GTI? They offer MT's and the 2.0 turbo is quite fun (my buddy has one) and you can get one nicely loaded for the low 30's.
Or if you want a sedan, how about a manual Mazda 6? Fun diving for a relatively low price.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks, Flexin5. I too had an RSX before this (type S), which was a hoot - but with the kids it became too small. And I agree with you - it is tiresome at highway speeds - @65MPH, it runs just over 3K RPM - I know the TLX would be a much better highway machine.
np, i was in the same boat, i needed a bigger car for the kid but still wanted to keep it fun, if you do a lot of highway driving like me, you'd just be in 6th gear anyway, and then driving stick in gridlock traffic is no fun. on the highway, the TLX is revving at 1800 rpm at 100km/h (approx 60mph) so it's much much better on gas than my TSX was.

i didn't have the tech package on my TSX, i had the premium with leather and HID's, but the canadian model TLX came with just too many nice options that the TSX didn't have, i would call it quite the upgrade. i got the I4 Tech, and aside from the regular tech stuff it came with rear heated seats, heated steering wheel, remote start, heated windshield, power folding mirrors. the TLX was also cheaper on insurance than the TSX so the money i saved there covered the TLX so i'm only paying $20 more a month than the TSX and the tsx was a certified used car.
Old 08-30-2015, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Just an update on this. Today, I test drove the TLX... actually I started with the ILX as I wanted to see how this car behaved. I first drove a top of the line ILX A-Spec. I think I drove it for about 3 mins and the decision was obvious... there was no way I was leaving my TSX for the ILX. No disrespect intended to anyone who purchased one, but Acura really needs to step that one up. For 35K, that car was at least 5K too much. My wife commented how she thought my 93 Integra was quieter. I can't recall how noisy that was since my ass hasn't been in that seat for 15 years, but I wasn't terribly impressed. So we switched to an I4 TLX Tech.

The difference was instant. More comfortable, more refined, etc. I felt the I4 was plenty refined, even better in the TLX over the ILX. We drove it for about 20 mins on a mix of twisty back roads and highways. It had plenty of go, and I liked how the transmission behaved much like a manual... foot off the gas and it slowed down, gas on and it went. I did find it a tad unresponsive in downshifting when my right foot asked, but a few snaps of the paddles and it went. No issues with shifting or stopping and the noted jerkiness.

For the hell of it my wife suggested I drive the V6, so the salesman pulled up a V6 Tech. I kind of wish I didn't drive this one. . Here's why...

From the moment we pulled out of the parking lot, I was floored at the difference. It took off like a bat out of hell. It was the FWD only, and from a dead stop it easily spun the wheels. I really didn't notice a heavier feel of the V6 over the I4 that was noted by many reviewers. It felt just as nimble. My wife said the first thing she noticed was the grin on my face.

A few key takeaways...

Handling - I love my 08 TSX, but this car handles better, period. I've seen reviews from some rags that say they wish Acura would get back to their roots and make a car like the 1G TSX again... all I can say is they must not be driving the same car. It's flat in cornering and has exceptional feedback. The steering is really nicely weighted, much like my 1G.

LKAS - Outstanding. I do so much highway driving, and I can instantly see how that will make long trips less fatiguing. With you hands on the wheel, it literally guides the car and makes easy work of highway driving.

Sound System - I drove exclusively tech units, and its hands-down the best factory system I've heard, short of an Audi with the B&O system.

Transmissions - I honestly didn't feel a big difference between the 8DCT and the 9ZF. I felt they were both responsive, but both were better when I took over the demands with the paddles. I think this is just my experience with a manual. No matter the pressure from my right foot, a few snaps of the paddles made a more predictable downshift. Both reacted more like a manual in daily running with regards to speed control only with the right foot than any other autos over driven. I was happy about this since I have a real habbit of exclusive right foot driving and using only the gas to temper speed.

So, I have a bit of a conundrum. The V6 doesn't seem practical without bumping up to the SH-AWD... if I'm going to make the jump, it seems only practical to add some wintertime assistance. And yes, I've read the posts that AWD doesn't really help winter driving, but those folks don't live where I do (northwestern NJ). I live on a mountain and both the roads to my house and my driveway are hellish in winter. I've been stuck at the bottom of the mountain before because of snow covered roads and the inability for my FWD to get up them. AWD will absolutely help.

So long story short, I think I have just sold myself on a V6 SH-AWD Tech. I know some will say I should just bite the bullet and go Advance, but I'm already in shock at what I'm going to spend on a car, and adding another 2K is just not in the cards. I can easily justify the jump to AWD and the TLX is amazing. I think I'll miss my manual, but the performance of the TLX is above what my TSX is today... plus now my wife isn't stranded if I need the her truck for something.

We have an offer of $37,500 for it... overall, I think its a good, fair price. I'm sure there's a bit more shaving that could be done, but I've bought 4 cars already over the last 20+ years from this dealership and the always take care of me post-sale.

Any thoughts or feedback?

Last edited by datadr; 08-30-2015 at 12:14 AM.
youngTL (08-30-2015)
Old 08-30-2015, 12:19 AM
Instructor

Just another note... we noticed when driving the V6 that there was a vibration at highway speed. I think I recall reading about an issue someone had. We mentioned it to them and he made a note and attached it to the key to have someone look at it. We would end up with a different car anyway, and I let them know I would want to drive it to be sure that wasn't a chronic issue. Anyone else experience that?

Oh, and one last thing... color. Acura needs to do something about their color choices. Blue is my favorite color, but the blue TLX is odd... and same with red. The silver really isn't silver, its light blue.

I really only cared for black, gray or white. I had a black car already (my RSX) and I don't think I want another. No garage, so it never stays clean for long. I have a gray TSX now, so I want a change... white it is. Ebony interior.

Last edited by datadr; 08-30-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:01 AM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
I'm glad you enjoyed your test drive and had so many positive things to say about the cars you tested. I agree with your points and I opted for the AWD version as well because of the possibility of nasty winters (I have a 4WD truck if it gets bad enough).

The driving aids are amazing and I love how the car will assist in making a long tedious drive seem less so.

I'd be sure to take the time to do an extended test drive of the car you plan to get. This will ensure that it drives the way you expect and hopefully you won't have any of the issues that pop up every so often.

I love the Black on black, but the White is a very nice looking car and I'm sure you'll enjoy it very much. I like the Graphite Luster Metallic as well, and if I had to pick something other than black it would have been 1 of those 2. All the colors look nice and it's just up to your preference.

Best of luck on your final decision.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:23 AM
Instructor

Thanks, Hoosier. Quick question... do you notice any vibration at highway speed? I did a lot of reading last night and the issue appears to be tied to VCM. It seems widespread, but of course that is likely just the appearance since more people will be vocal about issues than those that have no issues. There are probable 1000 satisfied TLX owners for every 1 that has the vibration issue...
Old 08-30-2015, 12:45 PM
Instructor

Just an update on this. Today, I test drove the TLX... actually I started with the ILX as I wanted to see how this car behaved. I first drove a top of the line ILX A-Spec. I think I drove it for about 3 mins and the decision was obvious... there was no way I was leaving my TSX for the ILX. No disrespect intended to anyone who purchased one, but Acura really needs to step that one up. For 35K, that car was at least 5K too much. My wife commented how she thought my 93 Integra was quieter. I can't recall how noisy that was since my ass hasn't been in that seat for 15 years, but I wasn't terribly impressed. So we switched to an I4 TLX Tech.

The difference was instant. More comfortable, more refined, etc. I felt the I4 was plenty refined, even better in the TLX over the ILX. We drove it for about 20 mins on a mix of twisty back roads and highways. It had plenty of go, and I liked how the transmission behaved much like a manual... foot off the gas and it slowed down, gas on and it went. I did find it a tad unresponsive in downshifting when my right foot asked, but a few snaps of the paddles and it went. No issues with shifting or stopping and the noted jerkiness.

For the hell of it my wife suggested I drive the V6, so the salesman pulled up a V6 Tech. I kind of wish I didn't drive this one. . Here's why...

From the moment we pulled out of the parking lot, I was floored at the difference. It took off like a bat out of hell. It was the FWD only, and from a dead stop it easily spun the wheels. I really didn't notice a heavier feel of the V6 over the I4 that was noted by many reviewers. It felt just as nimble. My wife said the first thing she noticed was the grin on my face.

A few key takeaways...

Handling - I love my 08 TSX, but this car handles better, period. I've seen reviews from some rags that say they wish Acura would get back to their roots and make a car like the 1G TSX again... all I can say is they must not be driving the same car. It's flat in cornering and has exceptional feedback. The steering is really nicely weighted, much like my 1G.

LKAS - Outstanding. I do so much highway driving, and I can instantly see how that will make long trips less fatiguing. With you hands on the wheel, it literally guides the car and makes easy work of highway driving.

Sound System - I drove exclusively tech units, and its hands-down the best factory system I've heard, short of an Audi with the B&O system.

Transmissions - I honestly didn't feel a big difference between the 8DCT and the 9ZF. I felt they were both responsive, but both were better when I took over the demands with the paddles. I think this is just my experience with a manual. No matter the pressure from my right foot, a few snaps of the paddles made a more predictable downshift. Both reacted more like a manual in daily running with regards to speed control only with the right foot than any other autos over driven. I was happy about this since I have a real habbit of exclusive right foot driving and using only the gas to temper speed.

So, I have a bit of a conundrum. The V6 doesn't seem practical without bumping up to the SH-AWD... if I'm going to make the jump, it seems only practical to add some wintertime assistance. And yes, I've read the posts that AWD doesn't really help winter driving, but those folks don't live where I do (northwestern NJ). I live on a mountain and both the roads to my house and my driveway are hellish in winter. I've been stuck at the bottom of the mountain before because of snow covered roads and the inability for my FWD to get up them. AWD will absolutely help.

So long story short, I think I have just sold myself on a V6 SH-AWD Tech. I know some will say I should just bite the bullet and go Advance, but I'm already in shock at what I'm going to spend on a car, and adding another 2K is just not in the cards. I can easily justify the jump to AWD and the TLX is amazing. I think I'll miss my manual, but the performance of the TLX is above what my TSX is today... plus now my wife isn't stranded if I need the her truck for something.

We have an offer of $37,500 for it... overall, I think its a good, fair price. I'm sure there's a bit more shaving that could be done, but I've bought 4 cars already over the last 20+ years from this dealership and the always take care of me post-sale.

Any thoughts or feedback?
Awesome! Very well thought out and written response. I didn't even drive the V6 since I had bumped myself about $10K more than my initial budget when I originally thought I was going to go for a low mileage TSX 6MT. If i had, I'd probably be in your exact shoes!

I think many people, myself included, go into a TLX test drive assuming the worst based on the tepid reviews of the Buff Books, you know, the ones that pan any vehicle that doesn't say BMW on it or any vehicle that's not the perfect track star. I have zero regrets about my TLX purchase and am glad I drove it myself instead of relying on what others said (most of them having not driven it either!)
Old 08-30-2015, 12:47 PM
Instructor

I'm feeling a little nostalgic so this was my '09 TSX 6MT a couple of months before I retired her.....

Old 08-30-2015, 12:54 PM
Racer

Did you check out the BWP over Espresso? A very classy combination. I wouldn't spend the money on the Advance, personally. The stop/start feature would drive me crazy (yes, I know it's defeatable...but still).
Old 08-30-2015, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Honda MT have been overrated for some time. Since the S2000, RSX, TL departed. The Accord V6 coupe MT (unicorn) might still be good but it gets 18 MPG city. That is why it is good.

On other Hondas, the Accord Sport included, they introduced this rev hang for emissions purposes that destroys the manual driving experience.

My 09 Civic Si has a horrible MT. The gearbox itself is great, but the clutch feels like cheap squeaking crap, and the rev hang is terrible. The magazine and others all laud Honda MT as being great but they don't mention this rev hang. The revs fall completely inconsistently from start, to warm up, to start with AC on, to warmed up with AC on. The only time the car shifts excellently/consistently is right after starting with no AC on until it warms up.

If Honda MT were a mass volume seller, we would be seeing complaints like the CRV vibration issue. I am a little appalled Honda manufactured cars with this rev hang. Again the gearbox itself is butter but the package is terrible and annoying to drive.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:29 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Macau Park
Honda MT have been overrated for some time. Since the S2000, RSX, TL departed. The Accord V6 coupe MT (unicorn) might still be good but it gets 18 MPG city. That is why it is good.

On other Hondas, the Accord Sport included, they introduced this rev hang for emissions purposes that destroys the manual driving experience.

My 09 Civic Si has a horrible MT. The gearbox itself is great, but the clutch feels like cheap squeaking crap, and the rev hang is terrible. The magazine and others all laud Honda MT as being great but they don't mention this rev hang. The revs fall completely inconsistently from start, to warm up, to start with AC on, to warmed up with AC on. The only time the car shifts excellently/consistently is right after starting with no AC on until it warms up.

If Honda MT were a mass volume seller, we would be seeing complaints like the CRV vibration issue. I am a little appalled Honda manufactured cars with this rev hang. Again the gearbox itself is butter but the package is terrible and annoying to drive.
My 6MT TL-S from 2007 doesn't rev hang like that. If I'm downshifting it'll blip the throttle a little, but that's it. I got 35 MPG on the highway today and I get 25 around town in mixed driving (no real gridlock here).

The TLX I test drove (V6 SH-AWD) actually was getting 36 MPG on the highway during testing. I was shocked.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:05 PM
Drifting

^^ Same with my TL. It shifts beautifully. Great MT.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:25 PM
Instructor

My 08 TSX shifted beautifully. That gearbox was the best... Macau, not sure what was different from the Civic, but I enjoyed 8 wonderful years with mine. I did notice the revs dropped faster with the AC on vs. off, but definitely not to the point of being disruptive.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:19 AM
Racer

If you indeed go for the TLX, I would negotiate a few accessories with the dealer to secure the deal for you. Depending on where you live, these may be useful:

- Foglights. A $450-600 option that was standard on TSXs and TLs
- Spare tire kit.
- Remote start feature. That would be one accessory I would definitely pay for if I had an AT. And it is much improved for 2015 models (no engine shutdown/restart).

If these are installed at purchase, they are covered by the 4 year/50k wrap warranty. If installed later, it's just a one-year warranty.

Going from an 08 TSX to TLX is a big jump, especially with the safety and features improvements. I think the only feature that would make the TLX more enticing is a 6MT...it's sad that 2016 will be the first year in Acura's history that it hasn't offered a manual transmission in any of its models.

Actually, I think Audi, BMW, Mazda and Honda are the only manufacturers left to offer a midsize sedan with an MT. And if you want one, your choices of colors and options are severely limited.

Last edited by kixo; 08-31-2015 at 03:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking for Advice from those who came from a 6MT to the TLX