Ignorant buyers not understanding VCM / complaining about transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 09:52 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
Take a remedial reading class. I stated if they believe there is a problem and Acura can't fix it, then seek satisfaction via lemon law. Buyers not understanding a dog clutch, VCM and an operational design should not assume a problem. Funny how I have yet come across a complaint yet. Yes the 9 speed will have a different shift feel for different gears due to the dog clutch which is very efficient. Many have no idea who and what ACR is and what they can and can't do. And my CSI is top rated when I was selling in the 90s and at the dealerships that I manage. And if you know what a TSB is and not just what it stands for, please expand you knowledge how it relates legally to manufacturers. Amazing how Acura's most popular selling models have the 9 speed. Suggesting trading to Acura's 6 speed RDX and RLX is a solution to those who do not want to accept the 9 speed feel yet. I would never look back after driving the 9 speed. Sure it felt different the first 2 or 3 days I drove it. Now the 6 speed feels antiquated.
If you don't like it, trade it. It is not the last and only car you can buy. Why stew over it and be miserable. I bought a 05 GTO and hated it. Sold it in 3 weeks. Had a 12 Hemi charger and sold it after 6 weeks. After many many cars 50+ in the last 30 years, The Honda and Acura are the ones I liked best and miss. Even my motorcycles, the Honda models are my favorite.
Thanks for the advice, but I still stand behind what I said.. YOU are without a doubt the most ignorant and arrogant person I have come across. And the more you post, the more you prove how ignorant you are.

You've been talking a lot of garbage, but for a minute just try to comprehend this one thing you've been saying.. Once again, you call people who are having problems with their cars ignorant, because according to you they don't know how their car works. I'm sure you still don't get it so let me help you..

YOUR thinking is IGNORANCE at it's finest!!

Last edited by JT4; 10-03-2015 at 09:56 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ATXTLX (10-04-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by JT4
Thanks for the advice, but I still stand behind what I said.. YOU are without a doubt the most ignorant and arrogant person I have come across. And the more you post, the more you prove how ignorant you are.

You've been talking a lot of garbage, but for a minute just try to comprehend this one thing you've been saying.. Once again, you call people who are having problems with their cars ignorant, because according to you they don't know how their car works. I'm sure you still don't get it so let me help you..

YOUR thinking is IGNORANCE at it's finest!!
Indeed, I posted early in the thread about how continuing to post was only proving his ignorance. He went from blaming my issues to lowering my car to us not understanding dog clutches! It's not Acura's fault, it ours! ROFL! It's amusing to me
The following users liked this post:
BEAR-AvHistory (10-06-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 08:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
The rough 2-3 shift is occurring for some even on moderate to heavy throttle which takes the VCM out of the picture.

After my own software update when they didn't "relearn" the idle speed, my car's 2-3 shift was harsh. Was going to bring it back in, but it worked itself out over a few weeks of driving. Trust me when I say that it had nothing to do with VCM.

This thread reminds me of my BMW dealer that loved to blow off problems, made up solutions (my favorite was I should run midgrade gas instead of premium for a faulty fuel pump), only to have to acknowledge, and fix the problem at a later visit.

How can anyone say that someone else doesn't understand an issue with their own personal vehicle from a keyboard thousands of miles away confuses me.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mr Hyde:
a35tl (10-04-2015), ATXTLX (10-04-2015), JT4 (10-04-2015), Stew4HD (10-04-2015), youngTL (10-05-2015)
Old 10-04-2015, 04:20 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Now you are proving your ignorance. VCM can operate below 60 mph. VCM can operate during light acceleration. VCM can operate in lower gears. VCM is perceiveable. It it wasn't, then there would not be electronic engine mounts to quelsh the vibration, nor specific muffler to lessen the resonance, nor ANC to reduce engine drone. My TLX performance exceeds my expectation very much. It is extremely quick while being quiet and smooth. Possibly the only car I liked better was a previous MB S class. It was larger which I like better and rear wheel drive. Different animal all together.

Being in the auto industry 30 years, I am more aware of the technology and it workings. I might be more forgiving than most. I.E.) For the 2011 model year, a HD pencil pusher decided to delete certain engine bushings to save a few $$ and increase the bottom line profit which he was paid on. In order to do this, the tolerances were increased and many noticed more engine noise. Sure my 09 HD sounded different and many buyers complained about their bikes. It did not bother me since I new the reason. I understand VCM and Dog clutches. I knew right away that my 2012 Hemi charger had VCM by it behavior. The TLX has similar traits. I would rather have the larger 6 with VCM than a smaller 4 cyl. I like the smooth, effortless acceleration and the great fuel economy. Sure a 4 cyl turbo could have similar power and economy but wouldn't be as quiet nor smooth.

I took your advice, and I looked up Acura's description of VCM on the TLX website. What I quoted was directly from that site.

The 2-3 has nothing to do with VCM.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:58 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Indeed, I posted early in the thread about how continuing to post was only proving his ignorance. He went from blaming my issues to lowering my car to us not understanding dog clutches! It's not Acura's fault, it ours! ROFL! It's amusing to me
It was amusing to me for a while, but then his ignorance was just too much..

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde

How can anyone say that someone else doesn't understand an issue with their own personal vehicle from a keyboard thousands of miles away confuses me.
^^ Exactly!!! This also confuses the heck out of me..
Old 10-05-2015, 06:16 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't insult my intelligence.

Don't compare the 9AT to other implementations, and don't compare it to other transmissions- just compare the 2-3 shift with the rest of the dmn shifts.

The other shifts (save for 1-2 occasionally) are not noticeable- the 2-3 stalls then slams into gear about 75% of the time.

You can avoid it by managing the RPMs sometimes, but otherwise you'll find you and your passengers being thrown back in the seat at least a little bit most of the time.

Quit fricking trying to convince anyone otherwise.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:38 PM
Senior Moderator

I wouldn't generalize in that direction either. Not everyone's car is shifting roughly like that.
Old 10-06-2015, 11:51 AM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
I wouldn't generalize in that direction either. Not everyone's car is shifting roughly like that.
Mine used to shift like that, but not any more. The last update (SB 15-40 once executed correctly) has made the shifts quite smooth. Sometimes there it is noticeable to me, but not often and I suspect not so much that someone not attuned to the issue would notice.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Bottom line its poor implementation of the control software not the driver & not the ZF9.

Nice to know he figured out after driving it in 2012 the Hemi had VCM system. Must have missed all the adds & car tests since 2005 about the Hemi VCM. Glad he is right on top of all things automotive.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
2012wagon (10-06-2015), JT4 (10-06-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 07:56 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fair.

However, I don't doubt you *at all*, but do we know this for sure, or are is that based on reports from other owners?

In other words, have some of the people with the complaint gone and driven other TLXs and confirmed they were different than their 'problem car'?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by rodbac
Fair.

However, I don't doubt you *at all*, but do we know this for sure, or are is that based on reports from other owners?

In other words, have some of the people with the complaint gone and driven other TLXs and confirmed they were different than their 'problem car'?
This internet forum is no different than the forums for other makes, and models, and I have been on quite a few. (BMW, Audi, etc). If all you did was read the threads on various forums, you'd probably never buy any car period because problems, service issues, and maintenance make up a vast majority of posts.

People just don't make threads stating "my car is running fine, shifting smoothly, I have no issues, etc. Even in the rough shifting transmission threads, don't count posts, count individual posters who actually have the issue, and read what they say, now compare that to how many members actually own the car. The car is selling pretty well. If this problem was almost universal, I would expect our membership to skyrocket just with new members gathering to discuss this one issue.

My car doesn't have issues. I can feel the 2-3 shift routinely, but that's it. I feel it occurring, but that's not even close to what would be called a harsh shift. I've had V6 TLX loaners when servicing my TLX, and MDX, and never noticed harsh shifts on those cars, or my test drives on both FWD, and AWD versions.

Even when I had a software update, and the proper idle speed relearn procedure was not performed, my car was shifting rougher for a few weeks until I put some miles on the car. Honestly though, even that shift quality was baseline Honda/Acura from not too long ago, but stood out compared to the other flawless shifts that you couldn't even feel.

Also, just to make a point, even right after the update, when driving my wife, I told her the car was shifting roughly, and she didn't know what I was talking about until I waited for a 2-3 shift, and pointed it out to her at that moment. To her it was nothing noteworthy at all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Hyde:
JT4 (10-07-2015), Stew4HD (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 04:12 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
If all you did was read the threads on various forums, you'd probably never buy any car period because problems, service issues, and maintenance make up a vast majority of posts.
A truism if I've ever heard one.
The following 2 users liked this post by wlkeel:
JT4 (10-07-2015), Mr Hyde (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 08:10 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

If all you did was read the threads on various forums, you'd probably never buy any car period because problems, service issues, and maintenance make up a vast majority of posts.
Originally Posted by wlkeel
A truism if I've ever heard one.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:11 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
Remedial class for you too. I stated VCM was noticeable on that car, not that I discovered it had it. I sold the car 7 weeks after I purchased it for a nice profit. It was a nice and unusual find being a Police Hemi that was never put into service with dual LED spot lights, raised limiter, optional rear axle, HD brakes, auxilary cooling, etc. After 56 cars from Hondas to MB S class, I am on top of things. I have built cars for track and speed as well as tracked manufacturer's cars for testing. Nice try but egg on your face.

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Bottom line its poor implementation of the control software not the driver & not the ZF9.

Nice to know he figured out after driving it in 2012 the Hemi had VCM system. Must have missed all the adds & car tests since 2005 about the Hemi VCM. Glad he is right on top of all things automotive.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:14 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Here we go again, ok everyone joflewbyu2 is about to give a reading class...
Old 10-07-2015, 08:24 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts
It seems like some are bitter mad that many like myself have a perfect shifting 9 speed tranny. Been in many and have yet come across a problem.

Economy, normal and sport do not change the shift logic. They only change the electronic throttle position, paws or sh-awd, steering effort and active noise cancellation. Sport plus changes shift logic, locks out 8th and 9th gear, and rev matches the downshifts.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
It seems like some are bitter mad that many like myself have a perfect shifting 9 speed tranny.
Does this come naturally too you or do you have to work at it?

My observation is that you have not provided any useful information to those experiencing a problem, so maybe you should consider changing your approach or just acknowledge that you are here to fan the flames.
The following 2 users liked this post by Quandry:
JT4 (10-08-2015), Stew4HD (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 01:47 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
It seems like some are bitter mad that many like myself have a perfect shifting 9 speed tranny. Been in many and have yet come across a problem.

Economy, normal and sport do not change the shift logic. They only change the electronic throttle position, paws or sh-awd, steering effort and active noise cancellation. Sport plus changes shift logic, locks out 8th and 9th gear, and rev matches the downshifts.
I've never read any poster on here with a hard shifting tranny ever begrudge anyone with a normal tranny. You are just trying to deflect the fact that you have insulted many on here and accused owners of being 'ignorant' of how a transmission that Acura calls "extraordinarily smooth" is supposed to shift. There is ample evidence from many different sources of complaints of poor shift performance. You claim you have never heard a complaint, but if your behavior on this tread is any indication, that is likely because those that complain to you are just dismissed as 'ignorant' and so you ignore them and their complaints in turn.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
JT4 (10-08-2015), Stew4HD (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 06:42 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
You claim you have never heard a complaint, but if your behavior on this tread is any indication, that is likely because those that complain to you are just dismissed as 'ignorant' and so you ignore them and their complaints in turn.
You hit the nail on the head..
Old 10-08-2015, 11:16 AM
Senior Moderator

I think this is a good a place as any to end this thread. Doesn't seem to be going anywhere.
The following 5 users liked this post by Mr Hyde:
ggesq (10-08-2015), Quandry (10-08-2015), quantum7 (10-14-2015), Stew4HD (10-08-2015), wlkeel (10-08-2015)