How is everyone liking their TLX?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2016, 10:27 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Momyc
Neil , maybe you're right for US customers , but is nothing "routinely" for us Canadians . Neither US TSB are applicable for Canadians as we have "different" version ..sic .
Canadian TSB are non existing to address the ZF or other issue.
So the TSBs don't apply worldwide? Didn't realize that. I guess warranty law is different in different countries.

Not sure what to say then. I'm not a lawyer (and am not an expert in Canadian consumer matters), but I would think that the TSBs would be valuable evidence in a lawsuit that Acura knows about the defects and is fixing them, at least in the US. I would assume you could sue them for damages in Canada for knowing about the defects and not fixing them.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Somebody likes it: https://www.kbb.com/car-reviews-and-...0402-6/#survey

We have the 4 cylinder and no issues at all. However, even though they're finally replacing transmissions, I feel for those that got the early ZF versions. Especially our Canadian neighbors.
Old 12-18-2016, 01:32 PM
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
After about 16 months of ownership I have gone through many phases of falling in and out of liking the TLX a lot to being kinda meh about it. The things I like about it are the 8 speed DCT paired with the 2.4cyl is a very underrated fun drive train, very quiet ride, comfortable (almost too much for me, would trade some of it for more planted drive), LED headlights and taillights, design isn't bad (but to get it looking great it needs to be just a 1-1.5" lower and should come with at least 18"s and have 19"s in the upgraded models (don't understand why this isn't the case considering a 24k$ Accord Sport comes with nice looking 19s).
The things that have recently made me consider getting out of it and into something else (lightly used A4 Quattro, lightly used Q50, VW GTI(a little small but I think i could live with it as I have an MDX as our main family car), Mazda 6, and some other options that I need to drive) are as follows:
1) The infotainment software isn't great, I have issues regularly with it being laggy, slow, and sometimes unresponsive. Sometimes I'll get a call and attempt to pickup the call only for the system to freeze and me not being able to get my call even on my phone unless I quickly turn off bluetooth on my phone. Other times the reverse camera doesn't come up for a while.
2) Interior quality isn't great... it has good things, but just comparing to 3g and 4g TL it seems in some areas it's a step down...
3) The wheel/tire/suspension is setup too much for straight line soft comfort, which I knew going in so I had set aside money for wheels and good tires, but now also considering coil overs... which is great! I've seen many ppls setups that look great and I hear it improves the cars dynamics a ton! But part of me is thinking ok I'm putting 4k more into this car and the infotainment and some materials quality/panel gaps etc is still going to be there, would I be happier just setting aside that 4k on turning my e36 M3 into an e46 M3 lol...

Ultimately I feel it's a really good car, I'm just not entirely in love with it and sometimes feel I'm not willing to put up with some of it's vices... by contrast I've had a 3G maxima and e90 330i and while both have huge issues and many ppl would dislike both, I had a love for both that allowed me to live with it's issues. Like I said just my view for me. Everyone is different and with different likes and dislikes, as a car the TLX serves it's purpose well as long as you're not considering it a sport sedan right out of the box, with some tweaking and coils it most definitely can be (especially if those of you who have the SHAWD). We'll see what I end up doing... I peruse the TLXClubofAmerica Instagram account and it makes me want to keep the car and do the aforementioned mods.
The following users liked this post:
wlkeel (12-18-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
The infotainment software isn't great
I'll agree only on that one. For whatever reason, it feels like my Palm Treo 650. Those are much better in European cars than the ones from Asia or America companies. It is not only Acura. Android Auto would have been a nice compensation. I can't believe that it is on 2016 Accord and not in the 2017 TLX.
Old 12-18-2016, 05:44 PM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0311
Well I never said people were "overly complaining" at all. What I did say is that all of the known issues can be remediated, but it takes a little patience. Early on, Acura wasn't handling the transmission problems or vibration routinely. Now they are and TSBs exist to take care of the problems.

If you just want to complain that the world isn't fair or throw away thousands of dollars getting rid of the car, then that's your prerogative.
The way I see it, people buy Japanese cars because they generally want a hassle-free experience. Therefore, they are willing to trade off luxury, performance, cutting-edge engineering, and brand prestige for perceived reliability and lower purchase price. When an Acura owner now needs to devote as much time away from work as a VW owner to service their cars repeatedly, the TLX has now become an upscale, but unreliable, Japanese Accord. Now, what redeeming qualities does an unreliable Accord have?
The following 2 users liked this post by hddnav:
pyrodan007 (12-18-2016), TacoBello (12-19-2016)
Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
^^ Bingo!!
Old 12-19-2016, 02:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hddnav
The way I see it, people buy Japanese cars because they generally want a hassle-free experience. Therefore, they are willing to trade off luxury, performance, cutting-edge engineering, and brand prestige for perceived reliability and lower purchase price. When an Acura owner now needs to devote as much time away from work as a VW owner to service their cars repeatedly, the TLX has now become an upscale, but unreliable, Japanese Accord. Now, what redeeming qualities does an unreliable Accord have?
What ACTUAL long term experience do you have wiih the TLX? None, right? lol.

My un-reliable Accord have been trouble-free for its first year (dec. 22th). Like the vast majority of owners who would disagree with your unfounded assumptions.

Now regarding that Accord vs TLX thing, if one hesitates, why not go with the Accord. I had two Accord, not interested at all. I enjoy my actually reliable TLX and I don't regret at all not getting a 3rd BMW in a row.

http://www.torquenews.com/1574/2016-...sport-sedan-us

2016 Acura TLX may be most reliable sport sedan in U.S.

With only 2 recalls noted in Acura TLX history, 2016 is shaping up to be a recall-free year for Acura’s best selling, financially attainable, and award winning mechanically reliable premium sport sedan.In this day of across the auto industry airbag product recall mania, and increased Honda-preventative product recall action; no matter how minor the issue may be, Acura TLX stands above the norm with a surprising lack of first year production run recall alerts issued for this stellar mid sized premium sports sedan. After 1,0000 miles in the seat, we love TLX!

2 recalls, one very minor

With 35,000 TLX sedans sold to date, TLX returns for 2016 as what is referred to in the auto industry as a “carry over.” In other words, there are no changes of specification or performance numbers in the second full year of production for Acura’s best selling sedan. Hey, if it’s not broken, why fix it?

Last edited by Saintor; 12-19-2016 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
It's still new. Even German cars don't show many issues for the first few years of ownership. No need to dig up the exceptions- I can list plenty of Japanese exceptions too.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Saintor
What ACTUAL long term experience do you have wiih the TLX? None, right? lol.

2016 Acura TLX may be most reliable sport sedan in U.S. - Torque News
Directly from the link:
Vic wrote on 2016, August 4 - 09:31
I have a 2015 ACURA TLX V-6 with the 9-speed transmission. I have been very dissatisfied with the vehicle. When delivered the car spark knocked for the first 100 miles on the gas in the car. The transmission lugs in the lower gears, and on a few occasions the engine has revved-up while accelerating with no additional vehicle speed, like the transmission was slipping. The does run a little better after a 5000 mile break-in. The console gear selector is very awkward to use. The navigation package is awkward to use and set. The car looks good, and the roadway fuel mileage is very good, but the performance of the engine and transmission is undesirable. Have been disappointed with the attitude of ACURA representatives at the dealership. Some of the service staff have acknowledged problems with the vehicle and also stated their disappointment with the vehicle. Plan to get rid of the vehicle soon.

Brian Kemp wrote on 2015, September 28 - 16:55
Parks, I think you let that phone call from Acura's PR last week cloud your objectivity about the transmission. :-) I have an 8-speed 2015 TLX - the first year ever (hopefully most cars don't have two recalls every year) that has had issues from Day 1, and continue even after a service bulletin was supposed to fix it. After many visits, Acura doesn't seem to have clue on how to fix it. Call me crazy, but I expect that when I step on the gas, the car will move forward, and the transmission won't just spin in place. And when I'm sitting at a stop sign, the car won't suddenly shift on its own and jump forward. Simple requests, but ones that the TLX can't meet on a reliable basis, sorry.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but if there are known problems from day one, why the hell would someone guarantee the TLX is a reliable car? 2016 may have transmission fixes, but what else can go wrong in say 3 years. The problems always start after warranty is gone by the 5th year. The TLX has done nothing to make owners feel safe for the true long term.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Directly from the link:
Vic wrote on 2016, August 4 - 09:31
I have a 2015 ACURA TLX V-6 with the 9-speed transmission. I have been very dissatisfied with the vehicle. When delivered the car spark knocked for the first 100 miles on the gas in the car. The transmission lugs in the lower gears, and on a few occasions the engine has revved-up while accelerating with no additional vehicle speed, like the transmission was slipping. The does run a little better after a 5000 mile break-in. The console gear selector is very awkward to use. The navigation package is awkward to use and set. The car looks good, and the roadway fuel mileage is very good, but the performance of the engine and transmission is undesirable. Have been disappointed with the attitude of ACURA representatives at the dealership. Some of the service staff have acknowledged problems with the vehicle and also stated their disappointment with the vehicle. Plan to get rid of the vehicle soon.

Brian Kemp wrote on 2015, September 28 - 16:55
Parks, I think you let that phone call from Acura's PR last week cloud your objectivity about the transmission. :-) I have an 8-speed 2015 TLX - the first year ever (hopefully most cars don't have two recalls every year) that has had issues from Day 1, and continue even after a service bulletin was supposed to fix it. After many visits, Acura doesn't seem to have clue on how to fix it. Call me crazy, but I expect that when I step on the gas, the car will move forward, and the transmission won't just spin in place. And when I'm sitting at a stop sign, the car won't suddenly shift on its own and jump forward. Simple requests, but ones that the TLX can't meet on a reliable basis, sorry.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but if there are known problems from day one, why the hell would someone guarantee the TLX is a reliable car? 2016 may have transmission fixes, but what else can go wrong in say 3 years. The problems always start after warranty is gone by the 5th year. The TLX has done nothing to make owners feel safe for the true long term.
lol. Seriously, sell that car if you are so insecure with it. Only a small portion of owners have issues, most have none. Transmissions issues experienced by Honda/Acura owners circa 2001-2005 were much worse, In TLX's it was a single year and the transmission came from the best automatic transmission supplier of the planet; ZF.
Old 12-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

Do you have anything whatsoever to back those claims up? Because I've yet to see anywhere where someone has written the majority of TLX owners are very happy. I'm not saying it doesn't exist- but I sure as hell haven't come across it. To me it sounds like hearsay.

edit: ah, I see you just removed that from your initial post
Old 12-19-2016, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Do you have anything whatsoever to back those claims up? Because I've yet to see anywhere where someone has written the majority of TLX owners are very happy. I'm not saying it doesn't exist- but I sure as hell haven't come across it. To me it sounds like hearsay.

edit: ah, I see you just removed that from your initial post
I have no idea what you are talking about. Of course, as most modern cars, the majority of TLX owners are very happy with their car.
Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Team Owner

And I'm asking you provide any proof of that whatsoever. I don't doubt there are people happy with the TLX.

But to say "the majority of TLX owners are very happy with their car" is your opinion on the matter, without any substantiating evidence whatsoever.

While it is true, car forums generally bring out the negative experiences people have with their car, the amount of disdain coming from actual owners is enormous. And this isn't your average "I hate the cup holder design" disdain. But the much deeper, "I will never buy another Acura product again" disdain.

So beyond your humble opinion, can you provide anything to the contrary?
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TacoBello
And I'm asking you provide any proof of that whatsoever. I don't doubt there are people happy with the TLX.

But to say "the majority of TLX owners are very happy with their car" is your opinion on the matter, without any substantiating evidence whatsoever.

While it is true, car forums generally bring out the negative experiences people have with their car, the amount of disdain coming from actual owners is enormous. And this isn't your average "I hate the cup holder design" disdain. But the much deeper, "I will never buy another Acura product again" disdain.

So beyond your humble opinion, can you provide anything to the contrary?
That is so much nonsense..

It is common knowledge that all modern cars have a very high rate of satisfaction and the would-buy-again range is typically of 65-85%+. Yeah even the TLX.

Including these guys.
2015 Acura TLX drivers mostly satisfied - Torque News

2015 Acura TLX drivers mostly satisfied

Sticking our virtual driver’s shoe in mouth, Torque News invited Acura TLX drivers to write in and share with us their TLX story. It's mostly positive.Last fall Acura unleashed what Torque News and much of the automotive press believed to be Acura’s “Next Big Thing.” Torque News-Acura took it a step further, and after driving 2015 TLX for the first time, jumped the gun on voting it 2015 “Car of The Year."

Granted, that didn't happen. However, TLX is not running short on positive automotive review and owner accolades. Good looking, reasonably quick and fun to drive, TLX has turned thousands of would-be Acura buyers into owners; mostly satisfied, many of them returning Acura aficionados.
That includes me.

The TLX didn't start Acura problems, *far from it*. Thanks to the ugly TL, Acura satisfaction went down in the 2010-2014, BEFORE THE TLX.. In 2014, it was already a done deal.

Car owner satisfaction hits new all-time low, Acura cited as worst : Business Tech : Tech Times

And then it went UP in 2015.
Acura Ranked Second in U.S. Customer Satisfaction Survey ? Acura Connected

Acura is one of only two brands to improve in this year’s American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) report, tying with Mercedes and Lincoln for second place behind Lexus.
Stop the mad rumors.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Why are you bringing up old news from April 2015? I also liked my TLX after I bought it, hence the purchase. Try doing the survey now with long term users and I'm sure many would say they no longer like it or would exchange it.

If so many people are satisfied with their TLX and word of mouth is so good, why did the TLX hit rock bottom in sales last month? I actually loved my 12 TL, so when analyzing surveys, not always correct when taken at the time.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 12-19-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:10 PM
Banned

Why are you bringing up old news from 2015? I also liked my TLX after I bought it. Try doing the survey now with long term users and I'm sure many would say they no longer like it or would exchange it.

If so many people are satisfied with their TLX and word of mouth is so good, why did the TLX hit rock bottom in sales last month?
The 3-series sales felt even more, yet it has a very high satisfaction score. Not directly related.

Acura (as whole) may have drifted but 78% of owners are satisfied.

I have no idea why people loves to think that most TLX owners don't enjoy their car; unfounded. The problems were 2015 and there are solution. The 2016+ are fine cars. Time to move on and to stop whining.
Old 12-19-2016, 09:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Acura (as whole) may have drifted but 78% of owners are satisfied.
That's not a super high value so stop saying everybody loves their car. One out of four are not satisfied. That includes non-TLXs so useless data.

I have no idea why people loves to think that most TLX owners don't enjoy their car; unfounded. The problems were 2015 and there are solution. The 2016+ are fine cars. Time to move on and to stop whining.
Not everyone has access to solutions. Stop saying the TLX is a mighty fine car, 2015 owners already know the truth. Time to move on and to stop whining about people who actually have problems.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 12-19-2016 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:40 PM
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't understand why ppl take it so personally if you state any kind of personal disappointment with their own car. I had a BMW e90 330i for 9 years and I absolutely loved the car and actively talked many friends out of buying a BMW in those same 9 years. B/c I knew some friends would be MUCH much happier in a Lexus, Acura, or Infiniti. Just like how I historically love Acura's/Hondas (have had an 88 civic, a 2000 accord, and currently own a 2013 MDX and 2015 TLX, and bro in law lent me his 2007 TL for a bit) but am kinda meh about my TLX (it's the least lovable, for me, of the hondas/acuras I've had for any length of time).

I can understand not tolerating people who bash or praise without any actual experience in what their commenting about, but when you have ppl who have owned a product (any product) for over a year, they have a right to feel whatever way they want about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by E90 Skye:
dezymond (12-20-2016), pyrodan007 (12-19-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 05:55 AM
Banned

That's not a super high value so stop saying everybody loves their car. One out of four are not satisfied. That includes non-TLXs so useless data.
???? wtf

​​​​​​Where did you get that? Nonsense.

Not everyone has access to solutions. Stop saying the TLX is a mighty fine car, 2015 owners already know the truth. Time to move on and to stop whining about people who actually have problems.
Whether you like it or not they are the minority. The TLX remains a very fine car, most of the owners would buy again and enjoy it; your bitterness obviously took a toll on your senses.
Old 12-20-2016, 11:05 AM
10th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a 2015 TLX owner and am still happy with it. I do admit if I'm happy with the car, I won't come on the thread to express my happiness,
if I'm pissed off at my car, I would jump into this forum immediately...
My feeling is most TLX owners are happy with their vehicle, one of the reasons that Acura cars are not selling well is marketing.
I've noticed TV ads about the Acura cars starting to increase now. Honda and Toyota have so many ads and people are buying their vehicles.
Acura marketing team, please do a better job and promote the TLX please...
The following 3 users liked this post by nike284:
iforyou (12-20-2016), pyrodan007 (12-20-2016), wlkeel (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by nike284
Acura marketing team, please do a better job and promote the TLX please...
I'm ok with marketing, but before you sale it...make sure everyone gets the fixes they deserve.
Old 12-20-2016, 12:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Whether you like it or not they are the minority. The TLX remains a very fine car, most of the owners would buy again and enjoy it; your bitterness obviously took a toll on your senses.
I've been coming on this forum for many years now, even before I became a member in 2014. The level of complaints coming from the TLX far surpasses, to my eyes, the ones I've seen for the TL. For the TL, it was more about design and transmission breaking down after many years, 3.7 eating oil (nothing new for Acura). The TLX complaints started from day one, and as the years go by people don't really like it anymore. I never said EVERYONE including the Pope hates it, but the number of members that dumped the car recently is rather striking. People give up on it, shit happens. Yours works, congrats.

I honestly think you secretly work for Acura since you sound like them when you say it's a great car and works as intended. I never said it was a 'turd on wheels', but it ain't no golden egg that's for sure. The TLX didn't win any best luxury car or best customer service prices. It's good value (more or less) for money when patched up, that's it.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 12-20-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Let's stop beating a dead horse. Thread closed.
The following 3 users liked this post by ggesq:
F23A4 (12-25-2016), pyrodan007 (12-20-2016), wlkeel (12-20-2016)