Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
OP
The following users liked this post:
radamo (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by radamo
Just to close the loop. We settled on the Accord, V6 Touring. Got a great price and the car really rides very nice! Thanks for all the feedback folks...
I cross shopped the two when I was in the market about a year ago, the Accord is a great car. The tech in the Accord was better, but to me it wasn't just about tech, but total package, and to me the TLX won. My only gripe about the TLX is lack of an updated infotainment system.

Congrats on the car!
The following 2 users liked this post by dezymond:
F23A4 (10-30-2016), radamo (10-15-2016)
Old 10-19-2016, 08:41 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Congrats and enjoy your new car! Hard to argue the value prop of the Accord.
radamo (10-20-2016)
Old 10-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by radamo
Just to close the loop. We settled on the Accord, V6 Touring. Got a great price and the car really rides very nice! Thanks for all the feedback folks...
Congrats on the Accord! I would love to buy another Acura but not a fan of the ZF. My TL has a ton of miles and I think that the Accord V6 Touring is at the top of my short list. Trying to hold out with Acura to see what the 2018 refresh brings.
Let us know how you like it....or over at the Accord Forum. You get a lot of car with the Accord for good price. And the V6 is rumored to be going away....love the V6 with traditional automatic (or manual).

Good luck!
Old 10-28-2016, 04:02 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Probably a good choice on the Accord Touring. I've had my TLX Advanced 2wd for a little over a year now. When I first got the car I was happy with it. It had a lot of convenience features I liked and still do. Remote start I use almost every day. Quiet interior, size, comfort, etc. But I'm really getting to the point with the Transmission that I have come to hate driving this car. I'm probably being a little picky because I know others have had a lot bigger problems with their transmission than me. I waited to buy this car until late in the 2015 MY just because of the transmission issues. I have the slightly newer version of the 'bad' transmission. Not old enough to be replaced, but not new enough to work properly. Everyday when I get that lag and the rubber band effect and I press the 'go' pedal and they car deesn't go I hate this car more and more. It is just growing and growing. This is the first new car that I have hardly ever washed and I have never waxed the car once. I never even park it in the garage, I just let it sit outside, now covered in tree sap and I don't even seem to care. When a car is not fun to drive, but it rather annoying to drive then it is just an appliance and why not just have a Civic instead. I don't want to take a bath on the car, but this will be the first car I will be very happy to dump someday. Will I buy another Acura? Right now I seriously doubt it. I'm not even shopping for other cars, but maybe a CPO BMW or Audi or Lexus will be my next car. I just won't be able to get this taste out of my mouth very easily.

I had the TSB done and it helped for a short period but the transmission reverts back to its unacceptable behavior again. I'll get the TSB applied again but it won't be a permanent fix. If it weren't for this deal breaker the car would be great. Well except for the crappy infotainment system.
pyrodan007 (10-28-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 09:56 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Probably a good choice on the Accord Touring. I've had my TLX Advanced 2wd for a little over a year now. When I first got the car I was happy with it. It had a lot of convenience features I liked and still do. Remote start I use almost every day. Quiet interior, size, comfort, etc. But I'm really getting to the point with the Transmission that I have come to hate driving this car. I'm probably being a little picky because I know others have had a lot bigger problems with their transmission than me. I waited to buy this car until late in the 2015 MY just because of the transmission issues. I have the slightly newer version of the 'bad' transmission. Not old enough to be replaced, but not new enough to work properly. Everyday when I get that lag and the rubber band effect and I press the 'go' pedal and they car deesn't go I hate this car more and more. It is just growing and growing. This is the first new car that I have hardly ever washed and I have never waxed the car once. I never even park it in the garage, I just let it sit outside, now covered in tree sap and I don't even seem to care. When a car is not fun to drive, but it rather annoying to drive then it is just an appliance and why not just have a Civic instead. I don't want to take a bath on the car, but this will be the first car I will be very happy to dump someday. Will I buy another Acura? Right now I seriously doubt it. I'm not even shopping for other cars, but maybe a CPO BMW or Audi or Lexus will be my next car. I just won't be able to get this taste out of my mouth very easily.

I had the TSB done and it helped for a short period but the transmission reverts back to its unacceptable behavior again. I'll get the TSB applied again but it won't be a permanent fix. If it weren't for this deal breaker the car would be great. Well except for the crappy infotainment system.
It's really eating me up inside that a car which I was so looking forward too turned out to be so dull and replaceable. It's amazing to me how many people are also acting the same. I too have come to the point of doing minimal washes and no waxing since my lease was only for 2.5 years. With my previous 12 TL, used to wash it almost weekly. Now my father does since it's still in the family, not at all a bad car since it's 6 speed transmission is SOOO MUCH BETTER! My father always told me that leasing was not a good idea. In general, he's not wrong but with this Acura it was a blessing! Even if I wanted to sale it, the resale value is not that great. The reliability part really has taken a hit. Now I just drive it from point A to B in general comfort...until the transmission either takes a lunch break for acceleration or stumbles into a gear.

How can Acura use the term "performance" really beats me when they have no sport version, and the engine-transmission marriage is really badly made on the V6. The 2018 TLX really needs to be a home run since the Lexus IS is getting changes for the 2018 model year.
Rocket_man (10-29-2016)
Old 10-28-2016, 10:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't like my V6 TLX SH AWD. Its kinda a jack of all trades. Nothing is 5 star, and everything is kinda just done "ok". Im not going to even mention the UI because that just garbage. But the V6 is good, not great. It does not feel or sound special. The SH-AWD is pretty good, but lots of little things really bother me about the car. For example, I like to drive with the paddle shifter but in the TLX they are made of cheap plastic and feel terrible. I mean ford is using magnesium and carbon fiber and they are still using plastic. The IDS is ok, and even in sport mode defaults back to higher gears with defeats the point. The transmission is great if you care about MPG, but if you care about performance its pretty weak. You get what you pay for and this is the cheapest of all the luxury cars. I would have to saw a BMW is worth the 10k price premium. But the TLX is not a bad car at all, safe, reliable, decent performance. But if you are a true driver the TLX is not for you.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers1521
But if you are a true driver the TLX is not for you.
Doesn't compute. The TLX V6 SH-AWD is a very good driver's car... in sport+ mode. Certainly better than 320i/328i, A4 and C300. I wouldn't say 340i level, though. But it certainly doesn't belong to the bottom as you'd love to believe.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Doesn't compute. The TLX V6 SH-AWD is a very good driver's car... in sport+ mode. Certainly better than 320i/328i, A4 and C300. I wouldn't say 340i level, though. But it certainly doesn't belong to the bottom as you'd love to believe.
Respectfully disagree. Over the summer before I knew my TLX transmission was going to be replaced and I was about to buy a new car, I looked at a new C300 and '17 A4. Although the TLX has a quiet and smooth ride, the C300 was buttery smooth and the car felt like a bank vault on the road. C300 also has low end torque which is perfect if you do a lot of city driving. A4 was the same way, except a sportier ride and that beautiful 7spd DCT which I loved. Just on the first test drives, I immediately knew these cars drove much better than my TLX (I did like the A4 the most). The C300 wasn't as sporty as the A4 but they both were as much a driver's car as the TLX is. I do like how potent the TLX feels at higher RPMs and it's light on its feet, but that 9spd is clunky and really seems to hold it back. I get 37mpg on the highway, which is awesome for a 290hp V6!
Old 10-29-2016, 02:23 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
Respectfully disagree. Over the summer before I knew my TLX transmission was going to be replaced and I was about to buy a new car, I looked at a new C300 and '17 A4. Although the TLX has a quiet and smooth ride, the C300 was buttery smooth and the car felt like a bank vault on the road. C300 also has low end torque which is perfect if you do a lot of city driving. A4 was the same way, except a sportier ride and that beautiful 7spd DCT which I loved. Just on the first test drives, I immediately knew these cars drove much better than my TLX (I did like the A4 the most). The C300 wasn't as sporty as the A4 but they both were as much a driver's car as the TLX is. I do like how potent the TLX feels at higher RPMs and it's light on its feet, but that 9spd is clunky and really seems to hold it back. I get 37mpg on the highway, which is awesome for a 290hp V6!
I think that is the only good thing I can say about this transmission. It cruises well on the highway. Unfortunately I don't drive it on the highway very much. To compromise the entire car for this was a short sighted decision. It's not a Prius after all... was never supposed to be. I could have easily bought a Prius if that was what I was looking for.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
Agreed with alt7 regarding fuel economy. My TLX V6 FWD averaged 38 mpg during a 300 mile segment of my Tenn-NJ trip. It's nice to know that I have great passing power but can also score high mpg when I want to hypermile it.

That said, the only thing I would do differently is get the SH-WD model. Quite frankly the J35 of the TLX tends to overpower the front wheels at times.

Sidenote: I cross shopped the Q50 and Accord V6 EX-L/Touring before settling on the TLX. The Q50 was especially tempting but my concern was fuel economy. Super won't be $2.40 for much longer.

Last edited by F23A4; 10-30-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I'm rather shocked how many people are disappointed with their TLX. I know there is a lot of hate that comes from non-owners, but hearing more and more actual owners being less than happy with their cars speaks volumes.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I'm rather shocked how many people are disappointed with their TLX. I know there is a lot of hate that comes from non-owners, but hearing more and more actual owners being less than happy with their cars speaks volumes.

....remember that a lot of "hate from non owners" (I still do not understand how you can "hate" a car....) comes from people that actually considered the car for a purchase but said "no thanks" for a reason....none of the criticism I read here was unfounded or made up....a lot of reasoning and explanation behind it....

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-30-2016 at 01:25 PM.
F23A4 (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 02:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
Same here. Old wisdom was buy a Honda, lease a BMW.... or... a Honda you can take home to mom, whereas a BMW was a one night stand... but they don't hold anymore.

Are the TLX woes just the normal first year problems?
Old 10-30-2016, 02:34 PM
Senior Moderator

I definitely enjoy my TLX but it would be disingenuous to proclaim it as the benchmark in this segment.....maybe the value benchmark of the segment but that's it. If it wasn't for my preference for good fuel economy, I'd have purchased the Q50 instead. (The day before I got my TLX, my local Infiniti dealer gave me numbers that bettered that of Acura.)

And honestly, the Accord Touring does make s strong case against the TLX V6 Tech (FWD); its main downside being that it's nearly identical in appearance to the $10k cheaper Accord Sport.

The TLX is a solid offering in this segment, but no more no less.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I'm admittedly still in the honeymoon phase with my '15 TLX Advance SH-AWD with around 3000 miles, but seriously, I don't have any complaints.

The tranny is fine (so far) in regards to the hard shift issue others have experienced. I do have some vibration at 70-80 mph, but it is minor ( might do the propeller rotate soon). I wasn't that crazy about the stock wheels appearance, so I changed them out with some sweet black chrome-look accessory Acura wheels. But other than that I'm basically a happy camper.
Could the down shifts be quicker? Sure. Would more rear wheel bias be better? Yes - would probably feel even better. I wish it were RWD, but front biased AWD is close enough. Could the "info-tainment center" be better? I guess, but I drive my car mostly, and don't try to play with it like a cell phone with the latest bells and whistles ( though I have one of those anyways and don't use it to it's fullest I'm sure).

It's a sharp looking car, that rides very nice and is quiet, and hauls butt (enough) when I have the inclination and conditions allow such. Reliability has yet to be determine, but I guess we'll see.
But if I keep reading this forum I might change my mind.

Last edited by noclutch; 10-30-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:30 PM
Pro

Received 534 Likes on 262 Posts
2 years into my lease and will be dumping this thing soon and can't wait to get rid of it. If you guys want an appliance get the TLX otherwise don't waste your time.
Old 10-30-2016, 08:52 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by dmski
2 years into my lease and will be dumping this thing soon and can't wait to get rid of it. If you guys want an appliance get the TLX otherwise don't waste your time.
Ditto !
Old 10-30-2016, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
If you're looking for a "driver's car" as some have said, don't get a TLX. You should not have gotten a TLX if you wanted a performance-oriented car as it seems some of you are/were looking for. The car really has no "precision crafted performance" roots, and I wasn't sold by the marketing campaign but it totally baffles me why it's "that kind of thrill." There is almost no thrill to the drive. But if you want something nice, good technology, pretty and sharp looks, good gas mileage, is comfortable, quiet and cruises nicely at a great price, the TLX is for you. I hope Acura will appease some demands for something more sporty and fun to drive at MMC, as that will satisfy many. I LOVE my TLX, sure it has some downfalls but overall I think it's a great car for someone who isn't looking for a total sport sedan.
The following 3 users liked this post by atl7:
F23A4 (10-31-2016), quantum7 (10-31-2016), wlkeel (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

For me it really comes down to Acura's response and handling of the mechanical issues (transmission in my case). As a early adopter of the TLX (Nov 2014 build, TLX AWD Advance/Elite), I have already felt the burn of a first year model. I was not expecting this garbage from Honda, but you live you learn. For the new 2018 TLX, even if they add exposed exhaust, new 3.0l turbo engine from MDX, and completely redesigned infotainment system ... if that bloody piece of shit 9sp ZF is still in there, I'm done. I already started to shop for my new car in about a year. Looking at Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Genesis. But not Honda, even less Acura if they don't stick with their "performance crafted" shit motto.

For the ones saying the TLX was not meant for driving fun, I call BS. My old 2012 TL FWD was great. They had to fuck it up by putting a 'new' bad transmission just for the freakin CAFE standards... and hide the exhaust because there's a bit TOO much performance in the TLX lol
quantum7 (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
If you're looking for a "driver's car" as some have said, don't get a TLX. You should not have gotten a TLX if you wanted a performance-oriented car as it seems some of you are/were looking for. The car really has no "precision crafted performance" roots, and I wasn't sold by the marketing campaign but it totally baffles me why it's "that kind of thrill." There is almost no thrill to the drive. But if you want something nice, good technology, pretty and sharp looks, good gas mileage, is comfortable, quiet and cruises nicely at a great price, the TLX is for you. I hope Acura will appease some demands for something more sporty and fun to drive at MMC, as that will satisfy many. I LOVE my TLX, sure it has some downfalls but overall I think it's a great car for someone who isn't looking for a total sport sedan.
I wanted a sedan for my commute which was AWD, sporty, had all the options my Advance model has, and that would make my commute less stressful in heavy traffic, and enjoyable when light. I got exactly what I wanted, at a price point that I was very happy with. The TLX is the equivalent of the most commonly found, and most commonly equipped entry-level luxury sedans on the road out there; the vast majority of which are not the fully optioned up, sports package equipped models which sell in much lower volumes, and at much higher premiums. It's no different than all the previous TL's that competed in exactly the same manner. I'm not sure what the complaints are for anyone who drove, and then bought a TLX, but really wanted a 340 sedan with the sports package. That's not what the TLX or the previous TLs were about, and no test drive would ever give that impression. I didn't need the class leader, but I wanted something with AWD that had good power, sporty handling, comfort, good styling, and all the options like the stereo, ventilated & cooled seats, Lane Keep Assist, Brake Hold, etc, etc. I could have spent 10-5k more, and gotten a 335 with even better handling, and power, but equivalent, or downgraded everything else, but for me it wasn't necessary. I did up the handling by getting rid of the horrible Goodyears for some PSS tires on 19inch wheels, but other than for that, I've been very happy with the car, and have no plans to replace it anytime soon.
wlkeel (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 11:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
I wanted a sedan for my commute which was AWD, sporty, had all the options my Advance model has, and that would make my commute less stressful in heavy traffic, and enjoyable when light. I got exactly what I wanted, at a price point that I was very happy with. The TLX is the equivalent of the most commonly found, and most commonly equipped entry-level luxury sedans on the road out there; the vast majority of which are not the fully optioned up, sports package equipped models which sell in much lower volumes, and at much higher premiums. It's no different than all the previous TL's that competed in exactly the same manner. I'm not sure what the complaints are for anyone who drove, and then bought a TLX, but really wanted a 340 sedan with the sports package. That's not what the TLX or the previous TLs were about, and no test drive would ever give that impression. I didn't need the class leader, but I wanted something with AWD that had good power, sporty handling, comfort, good styling, and all the options like the stereo, ventilated & cooled seats, Lane Keep Assist, Brake Hold, etc, etc. I could have spent 10-5k more, and gotten a 335 with even better handling, and power, but equivalent, or downgraded everything else, but for me it wasn't necessary. I did up the handling by getting rid of the horrible Goodyears for some PSS tires on 19inch wheels, but other than for that, I've been very happy with the car, and have no plans to replace it anytime soon.
Remove the 5-10k price difference between the Germans and Japanese, and I would bet most of us would not be driving the TLX. I'd gladly pay extra now to have a fun, sporty, and responsive sedan over the TLX. As for seeing things on the test drive, the transmission changes behavior, feels rougher as time goes by on my car. But still never enough that I can say for sure it's defective to Acura ....
The TLX may look sporty, but I don't think it is as sporty as the last generation. At least for the V6, the 2.4 has a dual clutch. At least Acura got that one right.
Old 10-31-2016, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Remove the 5-10k price difference between the Germans and Japanese, and I would bet most of us would not be driving the TLX. I'd gladly pay extra now to have a fun, sporty, and responsive sedan over the TLX. As for seeing things on the test drive, the transmission changes behavior, feels rougher as time goes by on my car. But still never enough that I can say for sure it's defective to Acura ....
The TLX may look sporty, but I don't think it is as sporty as the last generation. At least for the V6, the 2.4 has a dual clutch. At least Acura got that one right.
I actually meant 10-15k to get similar options, but I wish you could just arbitrarily remove 25-30+% off the price of a vehicle. If so, I wouldn't have stopped at a 3 series, and probably gone with a 5 series or 3.0 A6 just because. My TLX shifts better than my fathers 2012 FWD TL (whose hesitant transitions in between shifts have finally been explained with the torque converter recall) Forget my AWD version, but I'd take a TLX with the PAWS system over my father's also in any situation. Again the 2012 FWD TL was hardly the benchmark for sports sedans itself.

I do like the DCT tranny in the 2.4 though, Experienced it on loaners, and was very impressed with how smooth it was. I had a TSX, and needed much more power, so for me I had to have the V6. Having also owned an IS300, and 540, I also knew FWD is pretty much off the table for me for any car I ever buy. RWD was a pain on the snow, and ice...so enter the SH-AWD TLX. If it didn't exist, I probably would have ponied up for a 335 just like my brother.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:08 PM
Banned

It's no different than all the previous TL's that competed in exactly the same manner. I'm not sure what the complaints are for anyone who drove, and then bought a TLX, but really wanted a 340 sedan with the sports package. That's not what the TLX or the previous TLs were about, and no test drive would ever give that impression.
I beg to disagree...the previous TLs (at least in their top trims) could hang out with the best in handling and, furthermore, no mainstream sedan could touch them performance wise....not something that can be said about the TLX.

Based on your requirements, nowadays you could have filled that ticket at a significantly lower price point and/or higher content.

Forget my AWD version, but I'd take a TLX with the PAWS system over my father's also in any situation. Again the 2012 FWD TL was hardly the benchmark for sports sedans itself.
I had a FWD 4G loaner couple of times (one pre-restyling and one post-restyling) and, if memory of how these car drove serves me well, I would take them over a TLX SH-AWD (with stock tires) any day of the week except if i really needed the traction on a snowy day.

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-31-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
the 2.4 has a dual clutch. At least Acura got that one right.
I totally disagree.

The dual clutch transmission should be paired to the V6. Why doesnt the more powerful car get the DCT? 4 cyl NA engines aren't exactly considered "sport" these days.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,585 Likes on 6,631 Posts
I totally disagree.

The dual clutch transmission should be paired to the V6. Why doesnt the more powerful car get the DCT? 4 cyl NA engines aren't exactly considered "sport" these days.
Because nowadays, it's all about marketing terms and "Sport" can add a couple thousand dollars to the price just by the name. Look at the Accords for example.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
I actually meant 10-15k to get similar options, but I wish you could just arbitrarily remove 25-30+% off the price of a vehicle. If so, I wouldn't have stopped at a 3 series, and probably gone with a 5 series or 3.0 A6 just because. My TLX shifts better than my fathers 2012 FWD TL (whose hesitant transitions in between shifts have finally been explained with the torque converter recall) Forget my AWD version, but I'd take a TLX with the PAWS system over my father's also in any situation. Again the 2012 FWD TL was hardly the benchmark for sports sedans itself.

I do like the DCT tranny in the 2.4 though, Experienced it on loaners, and was very impressed with how smooth it was. I had a TSX, and needed much more power, so for me I had to have the V6. Having also owned an IS300, and 540, I also knew FWD is pretty much off the table for me for any car I ever buy. RWD was a pain on the snow, and ice...so enter the SH-AWD TLX. If it didn't exist, I probably would have ponied up for a 335 just like my brother.
Agreed. Any iteration of the prior TL wasn't anywhere near the benchmark as a sport sedan for the entry level market. The TL IMHO was always and still continues to be the jack of all trades.
F23A4 (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 05:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
The sad part about the whole thing is that it wouldn't take much for Acura to get the proper recognition it deserves.

They wouldn't need a RWD plateform in my opinion.

If they did the following:

1. Develop a sport division
2. Make a different front/rear fascia available from the factory
3. Make the sport model with a different set of wheel to make it stand out
4. Provide an increase in HP, and come on, Acura can certainly tune their engines to output more....they are known for their engines
5. Provide a more engaging tranny - whether its a DCT or manual

Doing these, in my opinion would go far into providing some buzz for the brand.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Agreed. Any iteration of the prior TL wasn't anywhere near the benchmark as a sport sedan for the entry level market. The TL IMHO was always and still continues to be the jack of all trades.
In past C&D comparisons, a 2004 TL and 2009TL SH-AWD both got 7/10 for handling. The TL even got 6/10 for ride and 2/5 for steering . Some people are living on another planet. The TLX is a vast improvement in both ride and handling, thanks to its much better AWD system.

The dual clutch is another gimmick not really needed and probably requires more maintenance (VW's DSG requires $400 maintenance every 40000miles). The 2016+ ZF9 does an excellent job all-around. TL 2nd and 3rd gen had way more transmission serious issues than the TLX.

Last edited by Saintor; 10-31-2016 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:38 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ I'll give you that today's tranny complaints aren't related to mechanical breakdown like the past, but more about the way it drives which are more annoyance than anything. I agree that DCT are gimmicks and I am not sure why there is such obsession with 10+ speeds, you'd think we would be driving tractor trailers.

That is what you get when politicians who know NOTHING about the environment, the planet or the science think they can solve the world's problem - There is nothing wrong with a 6 speed transmission or a manual. I drive a 2017 Hyundai Elantra with a 6 speed transmission and I get about 5.3 - 5.8l/100km! Now that will change with the colder weather but I don't need 10 speed to get great fuel efficiency and think about it....what is the purpose in me trying to solve 1-2l/100km to save the planet when politicians criss cross the country in their beg private jet and polluting 1000 times more!! All the undeveloped countries polluting the planet with the air current circulating this stuff. This is what gets me about these phony standards that are driven by people that aren't committed to save the planet.

Rant over
Old 10-31-2016, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ggesq
Old 10-31-2016, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by F23A4

....one thing is not being the benchmark, another is being mediocre......

The previous TLs were featured in comparos with the 330i (3G TL, the 335i did not exist back then), 335i and S4....the TLX?? ........hmm...................

You will never see this magazine cover photo for the current TLX......

Last edited by saturno_v; 10-31-2016 at 06:19 PM.
TacoBello (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Even Toyota seems to be getting it....

2018 Toyota Camry TRD Spied ? Future Cars ? Car and Driver

With their TRD components
Old 10-31-2016, 06:51 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by saturno_v
....one thing is not being the benchmark, another is being mediocre......

The previous TLs were featured in comparos with the 330i (3G TL, the 335i did not exist back then), 335i and S4....the TLX?? ........hmm...................

You will never see this magazine cover photo for the current TLX......

Yup ! I remember that article. The TL was on par with those cars at few (many) grand less. They call it a bargain of sporty sedans.
Now, the TLX is a good value , but not anymore "sport sedan" or "the thrill" and that is sad !
Old 10-31-2016, 07:18 PM
Burning Brakes

I actually meant 10-15k to get similar options, but I wish you could just arbitrarily remove 25-30+% off the price of a vehicle. If so, I wouldn't have stopped at a 3 series, and probably gone with a 5 series or 3.0 A6 just because. My TLX shifts better than my fathers 2012 FWD TL (whose hesitant transitions in between shifts have finally been explained with the torque converter recall) Forget my AWD version, but I'd take a TLX with the PAWS system over my father's also in any situation. Again the 2012 FWD TL was hardly the benchmark for sports sedans itself..
I find that interesting since when I floor it with my TLX there's a very noticeable one second delay before something happens (in sport mode). With my TL, in non-sport mode it's almost instant.

Oh I wish I can save money on any car, I would look at the S4 or 340 as well. We can all dream
Old 10-31-2016, 07:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by weather
Even Toyota seems to be getting it....

2018 Toyota Camry TRD Spied ? Future Cars ? Car and Driver

With their TRD components
No way! If a brand known to be a boring daily driver is able to come out with sport versions, Acura is dead! Please let the new models have sport options at least!
Old 10-31-2016, 07:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I totally disagree.

I was comparing it to the V6 with it's terrible 9sp. The 2.4 with the 8sp DC is a great combo! I find it EXTREMELY stupid that the engineering department did not develop the 8sp to be beefed up to handle many engines from the very beginning. Talk about wasting R&D money. If it works with the big engines, no problem with the smaller ones lol
Old 10-31-2016, 07:30 PM

I find that interesting since when I floor it with my TLX there's a very noticeable one second delay before something happens (in sport mode). With my TL, in non-sport mode it's almost instant.

Oh I wish I can save money on any car, I would look at the S4 or 340 as well. We can all dream
Yes , that's my "beef" with the TLX , the lag everywhere . I drive on Sport+ and is not even close with the TL.
Another strange feeling is that even the TLX is definitely more quiet but it doesn't feel as solid as the TL . Not sure how to put it but this what I feel.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:03 PM
Senior Moderator

I beg to disagree...the previous TLs (at least in their top trims) could hang out with the best in handling and, furthermore, no mainstream sedan could touch them performance wise....not something that can be said about the TLX.
LOL. I thought you were being sarcastic initially, but now realize you were serious. FWD, and undersized brakes weren't ruling the day in any comparo. I knew the only comparo of the stick shift 4G w/AWD to the S4 would be brought up. That car did very well, although the brakes were fried towards the end. Again though it was the 6 speed with summer only tires. All 5 people who actually bought one were probably thrilled. While always sporty, it was never a sports sedan.

I had a FWD 4G loaner couple of times (one pre-restyling and one post-restyling) and, if memory of how these car drove serves me well, I would take them over a TLX SH-AWD (with stock tires) any day of the week except if i really needed the traction on a snowy day.
Seriously? So your memory tells you that understeer, and torque steer give better handling than the SH-AWD system in the TLX??? Well again you did cripple your Q50 with DAS, and drive a Jeep, so if those are some of your yard sticks towards handling...................

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 10-31-2016 at 08:06 PM.
teh CL (10-31-2016)
Old 10-31-2016, 08:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by weather
The sad part about the whole thing is that it wouldn't take much for Acura to get the proper recognition it deserves.

They wouldn't need a RWD plateform in my opinion.

If they did the following:

1. Develop a sport division
2. Make a different front/rear fascia available from the factory
3. Make the sport model with a different set of wheel to make it stand out
4. Provide an increase in HP, and come on, Acura can certainly tune their engines to output more....they are known for their engines
5. Provide a more engaging tranny - whether its a DCT or manual

Doing these, in my opinion would go far into providing some buzz for the brand.
I don't think they need RWD, but you can't be in serious contention with FWD. SH-AWD is their solution, but they need to keep it, and not ditch it to go to the simpler AWD system as they did in the RDX. If they do that, then any hope of real performance goes out the window, and Acura relegates itself to the middle of the road, jack of all trades, entry level premium vehicle market.

Manuals are dead. The new S4 comes with an A/T only (no talk of a DCT even). They just don't sell nowadays. Having said that, you won't be able to pry the speed 6 speed of my RS out of my cold, dead hand. Can't by a new RS with one, and the M division will probably not cave to the US in the near future, and will phase out their manuals as well.

For a real sports sedan, it needs upgraded power, an upgraded suspension, brakes, and the SH-AWD. Anything else will just be midpack.

I find that interesting since when I floor it with my TLX there's a very noticeable one second delay before something happens (in sport mode). With my TL, in non-sport mode it's almost instant. Oh I wish I can save money on any car, I would look at the S4 or 340 as well. We can all dream
The delay in my dad's TL is actually while shifting, there's a hesitation/lurching action which is not smooth. The throttle tip in on the two cars are much different. I would bet for MPG reasons. I definitely notice the difference in back to back driving, and quickly adjust.

Quick Reply: How is everyone liking their TLX?