First thoughts: Canadian TLX V6-AWD TECH

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2015, 05:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
First thoughts: Canadian TLX V6-AWD TECH

So just picked up my car last Friday from the dealer.
Ended up going with the White on Black combo I've had since my first TL lease in 2005.

So far I've leased the 2005 TL, 2008 TL, 2011 MDX.

The dealership in Markham was extremely accommodating during my test drive. They let me go solo with a ETR transponder (that's a tolled highway for our US friends) in an ELITE car. I was out for a good 60 minutes tearing it up on the highway, in tight parking lots, on side roads, and even some under construction roads. This is MILES ahead of the 3 minute, chaperoned, pre-determined route other local Acura dealers give you.

Some of the things I love about this car coming from my past Acuras.
- Obviously much lower and connected to the ground compared to the MDX.
- For some reason, I don't get the same sporty feeling compared to the old TL's; just a little more disconnected to the road. The ride is still amazing, and I love the tightened suspensions and steering in sport mode, but maybe it thinner tires, shorter length, or my age...but it's definitely more luxurious tech stuff rather then a driving machine.
- The tech implementation is really where this car shines. Yes, its available in all other luxury brands; but not at the price the Acura is offered. The learning curve is very easy and I basically memorized the buttons within the first 15 mins. (I'm 39, have a new phone every 6 months, used to build computers from scratch, am a professional photographer, and love all things tech) Use this as a guide for where you may stand. The menu options are ridiculously redundant (with options found repeated in different menus). More on this later on:

- Personal faves so far: Folding mirrors, Remote start with weather control, IDS, rear heated seats, heated front windshield, heated steering wheel.
- Seats: I've read some complaints, but these front seats are the most comfortable I've sat in out of all my past cars. I'm 5'7" with athletic build and coming in at 160 lbs. If people find them flat, just tilt them back a bit and you can get the feeling of a pretty deep bucket seat. If you are looking for crazy side support as you tear around corners; this car isn't for you.
- Sound system: Amazing so far. Much better then the past cars list, and much easier to tune and customize based on the menu settings. Still doesn't sound as good as a custom built system from the ground up. But the stock speakers in the side grills are nice a deep.
- Rear trunk: Will tell you this, I still have my rear all season trunk tray from the MDX, and it fits perfectly into the TLX trunk. This goes to show just how large the foot print of the trunk is. I don't have the bump in the trunk as I've seen for some other models (not sure which one has it). The 60/40 split is AMAZING and is such a step up from the lack of anything in the old TL. (don't think they even had a pass-through.)
- Cabin Size: The interior FEELS just as big, if not bigger then the old TL. The front cabin has just as much space as the MDX feels like. Rear of the car is slightly smaller then the old TL, but still gives ample leg room for adults and getting in and out of car.
- Visibility is great to all sections of the car, front and rear A pillars are ideally placed. The BSI, and rear-camera have helped me with my surroundings as I've lost much visibility moving down from the raised MDX cabin.

I haven't filled up a tank and have yet to get real numbers on mileage; so can't comment on these yet.

Now for my list of improvements or wishes.
- Double screen. Man, what is up with that? Again, the redundancy is almost unbearable and makes me want to shut the whole bottom screen off sometimes.
- Then you add the row of button for temperature control that MIMICS some of the bottom touch screen. Why do this? Then add a joystick, toggle/button that makes no sense at all (can't control volume, do I spin it or use it as a joystick, or press the button...not intuitive)
- GPS: Please update this whole system. Visually, speed, ability to speak addresses in Canada. Let a passenger enter an address if needed. I've almost always taken out my phone and even portable Garmin over using this feature so far. VERY disappointing.
- Foot are ambient lighting!!! WHERE DID THIS GO!!!!???? C'mon Acura, for all the bells and whistles you've added to this car, why over look this small touch of class. You've now added it on the front door handles. (why not even on the back doors?)
- Idle stop. Wish they did not have this ON by default. The response time to start and punch it almost makes me feel it is a danger in emergency escape scenarios.
- Wish the steering wheel was powered and moved with engine on/off like the MDX.
- Wish the foglights were standard on the tech line. No need to move something aesthetic to the elite package that really prides itself on more driving/entertainment merit.
- Anyone else find the doors just don't have that solid feel? On the TL and MDX, if I let the door shut under it's own weight, it would shut completely. This doesn't happen on the TLX. It closes, but never does fully. All my passengers have had to re-open and shut the door again with force to get it to shut properly (Happens with all doors).
- Trunk hooks an upgrade (really?). No more trunk net/dividers (Really was a nice touch in the old TL's)
- Rear-back up camera looks to be of lower quality. Maybe its the same camera as the MDX, but the size of the larger new screen vs the old rear-view mirror of the MDX has just led to low contrast and high pixelation.
- No storage area on the rear passenger doors
- Why hide the master unlock and lock button on the arm rest of the door inside of all the window buttons. It was so much more intuitive to have it on the door panel by the open pull handle.
- Wish the centre console cover slide forward to extend arm rest area.
- Altoid's box can store more things then the glove compartment.
- On off button for radio seems like afterthought and was thrown into it's current place cause there was no where else to put it.
- Heated seats must be turned on and off through touchscreen boot up lag. PITA.

Enough for me for now.

I know I've prolly re-iterated the same likes and cons from other threads, but thought users (especially fellow canucks) can ask me about my thoughts on certain aspects of the car if they want an opinion.
The following 4 users liked this post by SENSEI888:
benjaminh (03-07-2015), nuke (03-02-2015), Tony Pac (03-02-2015), Tonyware (03-03-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 06:05 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Congrats!

Great analysis and feedback.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Nuke

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Appreciate your feedback....btw I always drive a demo for at least an hour. Acura 2000 in Brampton and the now non-existant Acura Woodbine were always accommodating. Looking for a replacement for my TSX and thinking the TLX does not quite meet my needs in the 2016 model with the few gremlins. Maybe next year.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by SENSEI888

For some reason, I don't get the same sporty feeling compared to the old TL's; just a little more disconnected to the road. The ride is still amazing, and I love the tightened suspensions and steering in sport mode, but maybe it thinner tires, shorter length, or my age...but it's definitely more luxurious tech stuff rather then a driving machine.
It's the wimpy tires. Put the 19" wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3s on there (in spring if you are in Canada LOL) and you will have the car you want. I wouldn't even drive it out of the showroom with the OEM tires on there.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Now for my list of improvements or wishes.
- Double screen. Man, what is up with that? Again, the redundancy is almost unbearable and makes me want to shut the whole bottom screen off sometimes.
- Then you add the row of button for temperature control that MIMICS some of the bottom touch screen. Why do this? Then add a joystick, toggle/button that makes no sense at all (can't control volume, do I spin it or use it as a joystick, or press the button...not intuitive)
- GPS: Please update this whole system. Visually, speed, ability to speak addresses in Canada. Let a passenger enter an address if needed. I've almost always taken out my phone and even portable Garmin over using this feature so far. VERY disappointing.
- Foot are ambient lighting!!! WHERE DID THIS GO!!!!???? C'mon Acura, for all the bells and whistles you've added to this car, why over look this small touch of class. You've now added it on the front door handles. (why not even on the back doors?)
- Idle stop. Wish they did not have this ON by default. The response time to start and punch it almost makes me feel it is a danger in emergency escape scenarios.
- Wish the steering wheel was powered and moved with engine on/off like the MDX.
- Wish the foglights were standard on the tech line. No need to move something aesthetic to the elite package that really prides itself on more driving/entertainment merit.
- Anyone else find the doors just don't have that solid feel? On the TL and MDX, if I let the door shut under it's own weight, it would shut completely. This doesn't happen on the TLX. It closes, but never does fully. All my passengers have had to re-open and shut the door again with force to get it to shut properly (Happens with all doors).
- Trunk hooks an upgrade (really?). No more trunk net/dividers (Really was a nice touch in the old TL's)
- Rear-back up camera looks to be of lower quality. Maybe its the same camera as the MDX, but the size of the larger new screen vs the old rear-view mirror of the MDX has just led to low contrast and high pixelation.
- No storage area on the rear passenger doors
- Why hide the master unlock and lock button on the arm rest of the door inside of all the window buttons. It was so much more intuitive to have it on the door panel by the open pull handle.
- Wish the centre console cover slide forward to extend arm rest area.
- Altoid's box can store more things then the glove compartment.
- On off button for radio seems like afterthought and was thrown into it's current place cause there was no where else to put it.
- Heated seats must be turned on and off through touchscreen boot up lag. PITA.

Enough for me for now.

I know I've prolly re-iterated the same likes and cons from other threads, but thought users (especially fellow canucks) can ask me about my thoughts on certain aspects of the car if they want an opinion.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the thorough review of features, most of which I concur. A few points to ponder….I just don't get the major concern about redundant screens when you can leave the top one in Navigation or Information (various) with 0 redundancy. I like having the map up with all of the touch screen audio and climate controls still displayed. I haven't owned a TL, but all of my TSXs, my 2014 Altima SL, my 2012 Civic, etc, etc, had the master unlock button on the driver's armrest near the window buttons….so a little confused about your statement about not being intuitive.

Agree with your comment about the Canadian address issue, however, I use Acura Link while driving to download an address…otherwise I download it from my computer through Acura Link before I leave when planned. My doors feel very solid and shut easily, so perhaps this is more specific to your car? Haven't heard much about this previously. My Altima doors do shut easily but do not have the same solid "thunk" sound.

Finally, I am not sure where else you would put the radio on/off button, as I feel it's pretty handy where it is. Anyhow, thanks for your opinions. Happy motoring!
Old 03-03-2015, 09:07 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Quick question... how many km on that demo and if you noticed any transmission, engine, drive issues, such as the ones that have been reported in the TLX section of this forum under problems & fixes. For example, ELS sound system and ANC don't get along well, whistle noises around 120km/h, vibrations at all kinds of RPMs and speeds, hard shifts, jerky shifts, rattles etc. Any of these?

(BTW, thanks for the review)
Old 03-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree with mapleloaf about the redundant screens - it's great to have access to the navi on top while doing the other tasks on the bottom screen.

I wonder if anyone (mostly all the auto journalists) would be complaining about redundant screens if Acura had limited the top screen to navi only... The fact that they allow us to use the top screen to do more than navi is actually a benefit in my view!
The following users liked this post:
SebringSilver (03-04-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 12:00 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
My dorrs shut effortlessly with a perfect think. Way better than TSX was.

Another beef with the screens. They almost always truncate song titles often on both screens. Looks crap. Why not use a smaller font, or wrap them. In some lighting conditions the lower screen becomes invisible. Touch screens are horrible for HVAC. And completely unnecessary. Esp the blasted heated seat controllers (no auto setting either in baser models). Just have conventional rocker switches.

Acuralink works brilliantly on my phone for sending addresses to the car. I have used the concierge service a couple of times. It works but I wouldn't pay for it.

New pilot has only one screen. That'll be interesting. Hopefully fixed all my gripes.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:44 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Thanks for the thorough review of features, most of which I concur. A few points to ponder….I just don't get the major concern about redundant screens when you can leave the top one in Navigation or Information (various) with 0 redundancy. I like having the map up with all of the touch screen audio and climate controls still displayed. I haven't owned a TL, but all of my TSXs, my 2014 Altima SL, my 2012 Civic, etc, etc, had the master unlock button on the driver's armrest near the window buttons….so a little confused about your statement about not being intuitive.

Agree with your comment about the Canadian address issue, however, I use Acura Link while driving to download an address…otherwise I download it from my computer through Acura Link before I leave when planned. My doors feel very solid and shut easily, so perhaps this is more specific to your car? Haven't heard much about this previously. My Altima doors do shut easily but do not have the same solid "thunk" sound.

Finally, I am not sure where else you would put the radio on/off button, as I feel it's pretty handy where it is. Anyhow, thanks for your opinions. Happy motoring!
By redundancy, what I meant was really the audio screen. There really isn't a need to have the audio presets and faves on both screens. Then, when you have your channel presets on the top screen, your channel presets on your TOUCH screen bottom screen, what does your joystick toggle do...it scrolls through your presets!! SMH. You have that feature on the touchscreen already and on the steering wheel control dials!

Why not make the jogdial scroll through channels/tune stations?

If I remember correctly on my 2004 & 2008 TL and on the 2011 MDX it was on the side panel of the door. Up near the window and the door handle. Makes it easier to find without looking.

I don't know where I'd put the radio button....but everything else is touch, why put it over the top of the screen where our hands never ever go...don't get it...

I'm liking the acuralink features (only because it's free). I've also used it before leaving the house. But when I'm driving and decide to go somewhere..perhaps in the middle of a highway on want to make a stop on the way somewhere else, don't know why a passenger can't type in the address on the screen or why I can't voice input the full address while driving.

If I can't stop on highway, how do I get my info into the GPS...sure I can use the concierge for the first year...but there is absolutely nothing in Acuralink that I'd pay a cent for at the moment. BTW, anyone know what the CND pricing is after the trial period is up?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

By redundancy, what I meant was really the audio screen. There really isn't a need to have the audio presets and faves on both screens. Then, when you have your channel presets on the top screen, your channel presets on your TOUCH screen bottom screen, what does your joystick toggle do...it scrolls through your presets!! SMH. You have that feature on the touchscreen already and on the steering wheel control dials!

Why not make the jogdial scroll through channels/tune stations?

If I remember correctly on my 2004 & 2008 TL and on the 2011 MDX it was on the side panel of the door. Up near the window and the door handle. Makes it easier to find without looking.

I don't know where I'd put the radio button....but everything else is touch, why put it over the top of the screen where our hands never ever go...don't get it...

I'm liking the acuralink features (only because it's free). I've also used it before leaving the house. But when I'm driving and decide to go somewhere..perhaps in the middle of a highway on want to make a stop on the way somewhere else, don't know why a passenger can't type in the address on the screen or why I can't voice input the full address while driving.

If I can't stop on highway, how do I get my info into the GPS...sure I can use the concierge for the first year...but there is absolutely nothing in Acuralink that I'd pay a cent for at the moment. BTW, anyone know what the CND pricing is after the trial period is up?
I see you point, but I seldom use the top screen for audio. One feature of the top screen audio, however, that is not redundant, is the ability to see the songs as a scroll list, using the dial….if you want to get to a specific one and don't want to use voice.

As for inputing the address by voice, you can, it's just a several step process. Our US friends can do this in one step, perhaps to even out all of the goodies they don't get

As for Acura Link, I believe it will be about 14-15 bucks a month after our free year. I do like the ability with Acura Link to check my odometer reading, fuel, lock the doors, flash the lights, etc.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:00 PM
Cruisin'

I see you point, but I seldom use the top screen for audio. One feature of the top screen audio, however, that is not redundant, is the ability to see the songs as a scroll list, using the dial….if you want to get to a specific one and don't want to use voice.

As for inputing the address by voice, you can, it's just a several step process. Our US friends can do this in one step, perhaps to even out all of the goodies they don't get

As for Acura Link, I believe it will be about 14-15 bucks a month after our free year. I do like the ability with Acura Link to check my odometer reading, fuel, lock the doors, flash the lights, etc.
Does the Acura Link subscription come from Acura Canada, or is it through the dealer?

Is there a way to input through voice, while driving, without spelling each word individually pressing the button between each letter? Cause that method is taking minutes off my life =)
Old 03-06-2015, 03:45 AM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Does the Acura Link subscription come from Acura Canada, or is it through the dealer?
It's included with all Canadian TLXs and the dealer should have setup it with you during the delivery process. In my case they asked for a PIN that I wanted to use for the remote functions and an emergency contact and it was setup by the time I had driven home.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by accord1999
It's included with all Canadian TLXs and the dealer should have setup it with you during the delivery process. In my case they asked for a PIN that I wanted to use for the remote functions and an emergency contact and it was setup by the time I had driven home.
Oh, need to clarify.
My Acura Link is all setup from the dealer.

My question was about after the free one year. Who will be the contact entity for payments and renewals? It's funny how I can't find a clear posted rate on any Canadian websites...
Old 03-06-2015, 03:50 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the same regarding the sound system - it just seemed too flat. Cure is to disable ANC - it'll blow your ears off.......
Old 03-06-2015, 11:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Oh, need to clarify.
My Acura Link is all setup from the dealer.

My question was about after the free one year. Who will be the contact entity for payments and renewals? It's funny how I can't find a clear posted rate on any Canadian websites...
It will likely be Acura Canada direct, but that is only an educated guess. BTW, as for setting up a destination by voice on the Navi, you do have to spell out. However, if it's in your city, just start with the street and hope it will give you a list after a few letters. The number can be spoken as one number (at lease for two digits). It would be very nice to have the US one sentence method enabled…perhaps down the road.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Cruisin'

It will likely be Acura Canada direct, but that is only an educated guess. BTW, as for setting up a destination by voice on the Navi, you do have to spell out. However, if it's in your city, just start with the street and hope it will give you a list after a few letters. The number can be spoken as one number (at lease for two digits). It would be very nice to have the US one sentence method enabled…perhaps down the road.
Just got word back from my sales rep.

He believes the base package is $69.99 for per year after the one year free trial is over (This is in Canada only)

He also suggested pressing the "blue" acura button and ask the concierge directly for latest pricing.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:18 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by wajsmith
I thought the same regarding the sound system - it just seemed too flat. Cure is to disable ANC - it'll blow your ears off.......
Interesting going to try the NAV-BACK-MENU trick later tonight.