Feature Comparison- 15/16 TLX vs. 16 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 10:54 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Feature Comparison- 15/16 TLX vs. 16 Accord

Hi all,

With the 16 TLX officially coming to market with no changes, I wanted to see if I could determine the feature content differences between each vehicle. There will obviously be more subjective differences (e.g. NVH, brand prestige), but I just wanted to focus on what is actually different from a feature standpoint. If I am missing anything please add. I am sure I am missing some of the smaller stuff.

Exclusive to the TLX:
  • 8 Speed DCT/ 9 Speed Auto
  • P-AWS
  • SH-AWD
  • IDS System
  • Electronic Parking Brake
  • Brake Hold
  • Agile Handling Assist
  • Blind Spot Monitoring
  • Rear Cross Traffic Monitor
  • Driver Knee Airbag
  • E-Pretensioner for CMBS (tugging at seat belt)
  • Reverse Mirror Tilt
  • Low-Speed Follow for Advanced Cruise Control
  • Tire Fill Assist (beeps horn with correct tire pressure)
  • Auto-dimming side mirrors
  • AcuraLink
  • Vehicle Feedback for Remote Start/Locking
  • ELS Sound
  • GPS Climate Control
  • Push-Button Gear Selector
  • Premium Leather
  • 8-way passenger seat
  • Ventilated Front Seats
  • Active Sound Control
  • Jewel-Eye lights (if these are actually different functionally from the Accord LED lights)
  • LED puddle lights
  • Capless Fuel Filler
  • Canada only- Heated Steering Wheel
  • Canada only- Heated Windshield
  • Canada only- Folding mirrors

Exclusive to 16 Accord:
  • Rear heated seats (US only)
  • Apple Carplay
  • Android Auto
  • Higher draw USB ports
  • Lanewatch camera (even with blind spot above?)
  • Auto-high beam headlights
  • Standard spare tire
  • Additional Sirius XM Functionality
The following 3 users liked this post by blacktsxwagon:
9SpeedTran (09-23-2015), mapleloaf (09-25-2015), nore03 (09-25-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 10:55 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
As you can see, there are still fairly many TLX exclusive features, but this list would have been at least twice as long before the Accord's mid-model change.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Canadia models have rear heated seats too!
The following 2 users liked this post by le^2:
blacktsxwagon (09-23-2015), dontajd (09-30-2019)
Old 09-23-2015, 12:11 PM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Copy of additional things on Canadian TLX's;

a) rear keyless door sensors on Techs and higher
b) headlamp washers on Elites
The following users liked this post:
blacktsxwagon (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Also, I believe the remote engine start is standard for all models as well (Canadian models).
Old 09-23-2015, 12:52 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
It will be interesting to drive a 16 Accord to see if they fixed the harsh ride. Supposedly they addressed it but if not that's a key differentiator in my mind.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Visible exhaust for the Accord

19" wheel option for the Accord.

Accord can run optimally on regular unleaded.

Better warranty Acura.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:16 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
Visible exhaust for the Accord

19" wheel option for the Accord.

Accord can run optimally on regular unleaded.

Better warranty Acura.
The TLX has a 19" wheel option too, so that's a wash (well kinda, the Accord's optional HFP rims are better looking in my opinion).
ggesq (09-23-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Let's not forget 6MT is exclusive to the Accord. For some of us, that's among the biggest differences. I did like the 8DCT in the TLX though.
ggesq (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 02:12 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
TLX still has Cd Player and HDD. I think Accord may have dropped. there are a lot of other little things, like softer armrests, interior trunk lid closer, heated windshield, trunk recesses - these are very handy, the MID in front of the driver, etc. The biggest difference though is how much better the TLX's ride is, without any handling detriment. And so much quieter. Luxury is not about features much any more - it's about refinement.
youngTL (10-10-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm curious to see if the Accord's LED headlights are projectors like the TLX (it doesn't look like it in pictures).
Old 09-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
I think the biggest deal breaker for the TLX at the moment is the 9-speed transmission. As someone who is in the market for a new sedan, I do not think I will be getting the new TLX until the buggy transmission has been remedied. Honda did step up their game on the 2016 Accord. Too bad they do not offer it in AWD.
Old 09-25-2015, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
The TLX has more powerful engines for both the 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Marginally less fuel economy for the 2.4 and the same fuel economy for the 3.5 (PAWS).
Old 10-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
One thing exclusive to TLX now is TPMS direct pressure read out. The 16 Accord now has a calibration that has to be done after every rotation.

I took out a 16 Accord Sedan Touring. First very impressive car. I like the new lower screen changes and the new navi map grahics finally make Honda have a more modern map graphics. Also the new LED headlights, Fog lights, and new LED turn signals all look great. And the 19 inch wheels are nice. I must say the Touring is a sweet ride, great handling and very quiet. Clearly Honda limits quantities on the Touring as I can easily see how it can steal some sales from the 4 cyl TLX. I wish the new graphics and CarPlay had made it into the 16 TLX. I may wait for the 17 TLX hoping the new graphics and CarPlay make it in.
holografique (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 06:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
Keith - I always appreciate your input as you're not afraid to call out the good and the bad in Acura. I too have been eyeing the latest Accord with it's new exterior styling and options that in some areas rival/surpass Acura. I think both the 4-door and Coupe look great, both having a more exciting visual style to them than the conservative Acura styling. It's somewhat frustrating to see a vehicle that's $30k less, yet in some areas carries a greater sense of refinement than Acura's own flagship.

Can you comment more on the ride? Handling? Suspension? Cabin noise? How do they compare to the TLX/RLX?

Last edited by holografique; 10-07-2015 at 06:26 PM.
MisterZDX (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by holografique
Keith - I always appreciate your input as you're not afraid to call out the good and the bad in Acura. I too have been eyeing the latest Accord with it's new exterior styling and options that in some areas rival/surpass Acura. I think both the 4-door and Coupe look great, both having a more exciting visual style to them than the conservative Acura styling. It's somewhat frustrating to see a vehicle that's $30k less, yet in some areas carries a greater sense of refinement than Acura's own flagship.

Can you comment more on the ride? Handling? Suspension? Cabin noise? How do they compare to the TLX/RLX?
Add me to the list of Accord lovers as well. I am almost certain that before year's end, I will be replacing my outdated tech and poor gas mileage ZDX for a new Accord Touring. The Mazda 6 Grand Touring is also high up on my list.

I test drove the TLX and tried to like it, but it just didn't do it for me. Too small and not enough sex appeal. Besides the jewel eye lights and Acura beak, it damn near blends in with most other cars on the road. (Sorry TLX owners. Nice car, but just not for me).

Last edited by MisterZDX; 10-07-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterZDX
Add me to the list of Accord lovers as well. I am almost certain that before year's end, I will be replacing my outdated tech and poor gas mileage ZDX for a new Accord Touring. The Mazda 6 Grand Touring is also high up on my list.

I test drove the TLX and tried to like it, but it just didn't do it for me. Too small and not enough sex appeal. Besides the jewel eye lights and Acura beak, it damn near blends in with most other cars on the road. (Sorry TLX owners. Nice car, but just not for me).
So you will get an Accord that is basically every other car I see on the road? They are everywhere! Talk about blending in.. IJS

Last edited by Stew4HD; 10-07-2015 at 08:07 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
We looked at a 2016 Accord V6 Touring and it compared favorably with the TLX. The Accord definitely road a little harder and didn't have the noise insulation in the body like the TLX. The deal breaker for us was the Accord brand new and the dealer only had one Touring model in stock and wanted $1,500.00 over the sticker price! we ended up getting the TLX 2 weeks ago for $3,200 under sticker.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:50 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
So you will get an Accord that is basically every other car I see on the road? They are everywhere! Talk about blending in.. IJS
I can't disagree with this. However, I do like the Accord's body style better than the TLX. Every other car seen on the road may very well be an Accord, but there's still something eye catching about them....the same can't be said about the TLX, especially from the rear. Perfect TSX replacement, but not nearly as eye catching as the 4G TL and lacks a strong road presence.

I only considered the TLX because of the awesome deals right now, but even that wasn't enough to make me pull the trigger.

Last edited by MisterZDX; 10-07-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Saw my first 2016 accord sport in white this morning

Looked gorgeous

New tails are fantastic
Rear Valence is very pronounced
Gorgeous dual exhaust
holografique (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 03:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
I can't disagree with this. However, I do like the Accord's body style better than the TLX. Every other car seen on the road may very well be an Accord, but there's still something eye catching about them....the same can't be said about the TLX, especially from the rear. Perfect TSX replacement, but not nearly as eye catching as the 4G TL and lacks a strong road presence.

I only considered the TLX because of the awesome deals right now, but even that wasn't enough to make me pull the trigger.
I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, by the way. I came out of an Accord when I got my TLX. I had an EX-L, the Advance TLX was a HUGE upgrade in ride and comfort level for a 14K difference.

Honda seems to be wanting to kill off the Acura brand, IMO. They will sell LOTS of Accords. The car does look more aggressive than the TLX from the rear and certain angles.
MisterZDX (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 07:03 AM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I had my heart set on a 2016 Accord Touring about a month ago and went to test drive one a couple weeks ago. HATED IT. HATED the dealership. HATED the salesman. I had such a negative experience, all the way around, that I immediately came home, started doing some more research, and discovered the TLX.

The TLX blows the Accord out of the water, in my opinion, and best of all, can be had for less money if you can negotiate a decent deal! It's way sportier, much better looking, and the interior has a much more premium feel.

The first few times I got into my TLX I4 Tech, I kept thinking how thankful I was that I didn't fall for the Accord. I would be at a complete loss as to why someone would choose a similarly priced Accord over a TLX. There's simply no comparison (again, in my personal opinion).
The following 3 users liked this post by Jimmy_D:
rka4570 (10-08-2015), Stew4HD (10-08-2015), youngTL (10-10-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 07:48 AM

Looks will always be subjective however I never thought my 13 Accord was a good looking car. The TLX, while far from exotic or "sexy" looking is, IMO, a much nicer looking car. It's subtle yet classy with a slight muscular (hind quarters) look. I think it's much better looking than the Accord although I have yet to see a 16 in person.

The reason I traded my Accord was almost purely because the TLX rides so much nicer and seemed more quite inside. Plus I like a more cozy interior so the smaller size fits me well.

I've read they addressed the harsh ride with the 16's - it will be interesting to see how much better it rides because my 13 rode like an ox-cart on the bumpy side streets.
MisterZDX (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Instructor

If anything, they got the wheels right on the 2016 Accord. I love the dual 5 spoke wheels they have!
MisterZDX (10-09-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 07:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by holografique

I drove Touring the other day and honestly it rode great. Very quiet and typical great Honda build quality. Since I have not driven Accord back to back with TLX it is hard to say how cabin noise compares, but the Touring was not any noisier than many other cars I have driven. I actually love the styling, the only turn offs to me are, not direct TPMS read out, hate the lane watch(prefer real blind spot), crappy audio and not a fan the gauge cluster. That being said with the great discounts on 15 TLXs I am leaning toward a TLX as there are no real discounts on Accord Touring and the 15 TLX is going for $5K off or more.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jimmy_D
I had my heart set on a 2016 Accord Touring about a month ago and went to test drive one a couple weeks ago. HATED IT. HATED the dealership. HATED the salesman. I had such a negative experience, all the way around, that I immediately came home, started doing some more research, and discovered the TLX.

The TLX blows the Accord out of the water, in my opinion, and best of all, can be had for less money if you can negotiate a decent deal! It's way sportier, much better looking, and the interior has a much more premium feel.

The first few times I got into my TLX I4 Tech, I kept thinking how thankful I was that I didn't fall for the Accord. I would be at a complete loss as to why someone would choose a similarly priced Accord over a TLX. There's simply no comparison (again, in my personal opinion).
Will agree that the dealer experience on Honda vs. Acura in general is big. Here at least most of the Honda dealers are asses, while the 4 local Acura dealers are very good. I do love the Touring wheels, headlights Audi like DRL/Turn signals.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
I have a brand new Accord Sport as a loaner from the Honda Dealership while my Pilot is in the shop. Driving the same roads in the Accord vs. the my TLX. Both my TLX and the Accord loaner have the 4 cylinder engine. The accord was brand new with only 350 miles on the odometer.

Road noise especially at highway speed much higher in Accord.

The Accord seems to ride firmer. I feel more of the imperfections in the freeway that I don't feel in the TLX

The Accord definitely has more wind noise.

TLX sound system much better.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by KeithL
I drove Touring the other day and honestly it rode great. Very quiet and typical great Honda build quality. Since I have not driven Accord back to back with TLX it is hard to say how cabin noise compares, but the Touring was not any noisier than many other cars I have driven.
Originally Posted by rka4570
I have a brand new Accord Sport as a loaner from the Honda Dealership while my Pilot is in the shop. Driving the same roads in the Accord vs. the my TLX.

The Accord seems to ride firmer. I feel more of the imperfections in the freeway that I don't feel in the TLX

The Accord definitely has more wind noise.

TLX sound system much better.
The Touring model gets the reactive amplitude dampers from the Acura line - the Sport doesn't so I would expect the Touring to ride better.

If you think the Sport feels more firm on the freeway I suggest you take it around town and search for some crappy roads. That's where the ride really grates on you. The TLX is a serious upgrade in that area.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I drove Touring the other day and honestly it rode great. Very quiet and typical great Honda build quality. Since I have not driven Accord back to back with TLX it is hard to say how cabin noise compares, but the Touring was not any noisier than many other cars I have driven. I actually love the styling, the only turn offs to me are, not direct TPMS read out, hate the lane watch(prefer real blind spot), crappy audio and not a fan the gauge cluster. That being said with the great discounts on 15 TLXs I am leaning toward a TLX as there are no real discounts on Accord Touring and the 15 TLX is going for $5K off or more.
Indirect TPMS does have its advantages though. Those that run dedicated winter wheels love it because there is no need to buy expensive TPMS sensors. Just swap the wheels and press the button to recalibrate the TPMS.

Last edited by Sam Axe; 10-09-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sam Axe
Indirect TPMS does have its advantages though. Those that run dedicated winter wheels love it because there is no need to buy expensive TPMS sensors. Just swap the wheels and press the button to recalibrate the TPMS.
Agreed winch is why I think Audi went that way, but I bet most people do not re-calibrate the TPMS every time they rotate tires.
Old 10-09-2015, 11:02 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
beside

the touring with the better dampers, the main difference is the horrible rear suspension set up of the accord...
night and day ride quality with tlx,
i sold a 14 accord ex for the ride quality and the seats that were like sitting in an asian hyper chamber for stretching
ridicuouls
Old 10-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 581 Posts
Does the sport have the 19 and touring 18 wheels ?

So per above post tlx and accord rear suspension are completely different ?
Old 10-09-2015, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the touring has better dampers, all kidding side i have drive 4 tlx test drives and the ride is 25% more compliant than the accord, anyone who likes the suspension set up of the non touring accord, probably loved my 90's integra with rear spoiler that drove like i was a piece of the concrete...
the rear suspension set up of the accord sport, lx, ex, ex-l is too stiff for most buyers looking for the balance of sport luxury
Old 10-09-2015, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 2012wagon
Does the sport have the 19 and touring 18 wheels ?

So per above post tlx and accord rear suspension are completely different ?

Both the Touring and the Sport have the 19" wheels. Coupes EX and higher have 18" wheels.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by carenthusiast
the touring has better dampers, all kidding side i have drive 4 tlx test drives and the ride is 25% more compliant than the accord, anyone who likes the suspension set up of the non touring accord, probably loved my 90's integra with rear spoiler that drove like i was a piece of the concrete...
the rear suspension set up of the accord sport, lx, ex, ex-l is too stiff for most buyers looking for the balance of sport luxury
Yes the '13-'15 Accords ride harsh regardless of trim. I have not driven a '16 Accord yet but all trims get revised "high performance" dampers, new bushings, sturdier rear bulkhead and improved rigidity in various areas.

Body and Chassis
  • Increased body rigidity courtesy of multiple new stiffeners, a thicker front shock tower bar and sturdier rear bulkhead
  • Retuned electric power steering
  • Aluminum hood (Sedan models)
  • New high performance dampers (all except Touring trims)
  • New high performance Amplitude Reactive Dampers (Touring trims)
  • Hydraulic rear subframe bushings (Touring trims)
  • Retuned Active Sound Control for sportier acceleration sound (Sport Sedan)
  • 18-inch (+1 inch) aluminum wheels and tires (EX and EX-L Coupe)
  • 19-inch aluminum wheels and tires (Sport sedan +1 inch and Touring trims +2 inch)
  • Larger front brake (Sport Sedan and Touring trims)
2016 Honda Accord Press Kit - Vehicle Overview - Honda News

Most of the reviews of the 2016 Accord that I have seen are of the Touring trim, therefore haven't seen any feedback on ride quality of other trims that also got improvements to the suspension.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:19 PM
Advanced

Agreed winch is why I think Audi went that way, but I bet most people do not re-calibrate the TPMS every time they rotate tires.
True- probably only the Honda dealer does it on rotations. Really, it only needs to be re-calibrated if you change wheel/tire size.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sam Axe
True- probably only the Honda dealer does it on rotations. Really, it only needs to be re-calibrated if you change wheel/tire size.
According to manual it easy to re-calibrate on tire rotation as well. I see most people never doing it.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:04 PM
brahs be jelly

Received 247 Likes on 169 Posts
The new Touring has a nicely balanced ride, especially considering it has 19s. Very Acura-like. I don't know about the lower models though.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:00 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The 16 Accord has better tires - Michelins on the EX-L model, while the TLX still has the low rated Goodyears.

I test drove a 4 cyl EX-L Accord today, and was very impressed. Maybe Honda should have gone with the CVT in the TLX instead of the new and not so improved 8 and 9 speeds.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:14 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
I stand corrected on the interior trunk lid closer. It has returned for the 2016 Accord. Evidently sneaked in when the bean counters werent looking. I personally think the 2016 Sport, especially in Canadian guise, MT, no sensing, is an incredible buy. Far superior screen graphics to TLX, though inferior gauge cluster. It looks better as long as it has the optional sport grille. Too much chrome otherwise. bigger trunk...60/40...leather/cloth seats....nicely de-chintzed interior....one thing to remember - most canadian Accords now have remote start standard but the range is rather pitiful compared to the pretty decent Acura one.

I am wondering how the new Civic Touring fares - its interior measurements may not be much different to the TLX...performance is better than TLX 4 cyl.....sounds a silly comparison...but we shall see....

Quick Reply: Feature Comparison- 15/16 TLX vs. 16 Accord