Are door panel inserts and center console leather?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 11:37 AM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Are door panel inserts and center console leather?

I just applied Lexol to them and they got sticky and looked shinier than the seats. I'm thinking now they are not really leather, unlike my Lexus that was actual leather.

Anyone know if they are actually leather or some type of leather-like substance, and if not real, will Lexol conditioner cause any damage?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:25 PM
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
The specs say "leather trimmed interior" which usually means seating surfaces. I do not think either the door panels or armrest are leather, haven't had that on any of the Lexus models I've had, either, but none of those had the "semi-analine" option package. The last two have actually had the NuLuxe synthetic. I doubt your Lexol hurt anything but some warm water with mild detergent on a terry rag might diminish the residue.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:06 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Just wipe it off with mild soap and water (just a tiny tiny bit of soap is all you need). That should get rid of the slippery feeling.

The parts of the seat that are actually leather in the TLX (Tech and above packages) are the seat backs, seat bottoms (where you sit), the side bolsters that are facing you (surprisingly). The head restraint that touches your head is leather too.

The parts that are synthetic are the sides and rear of the seat where you pretty much never touch. Also the door cards and the centre armrest are synthetic.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by neil0311
I just applied Lexol to them and they got sticky and looked shinier than the seats. I'm thinking now they are not really leather, unlike my Lexus that was actual leather.

Anyone know if they are actually leather or some type of leather-like substance, and if not real, will Lexol conditioner cause any damage?
Lexol will not damage anything really but will make leather darker over time. Automotive leather is coated so no conditioners really get into the leather to keep it "healthy".

You can use a mix of 10:1 water to woolite to remove the lexol. Follow up with a damp towel to remove woolite residue. You can amp it up to 6 parts water to 1 part woolite for heavy duty cleaning.

I like to use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It's UV protection for any surface to prevent fading.

"Full Grain Leather" or Leather is probably where your body touches. The rest is "genuine Leather" or some sort of processed/glued leather product. Some parts are probably vinyl.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:27 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by csmeance
Automotive leather is coated so no conditioners really get into the leather to keep it "healthy".
What about perforated leather? Doesn't the conditioner get in the holes?