Dislikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 07:24 AM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Dislikes?

IMHO, TLX provides amazing value for the money (i.e., safety technology features). But there are some things that could use improvement. What do you dislike about the TLX? I'll start with my list:
  • Puny volume control knob on dash
  • Driver side mirror has disconcerting view with split for blind spot view.
  • Low resolution rear-view camera
  • Puny bass on sound system. This will probably get better over time.
  • Anemic acceleration on the V6 Tech (even in Sport+ mode). But guess I'm spoiled from driving a MB E550.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:29 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
IDS button forces you to cycle through all modes if you want to move one mode below. A knob would be a much better solution.

Slight delay when shifting from R to D.
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
pvn (10-03-2014), vhtran (10-02-2014)
Old 10-01-2014, 07:39 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
IDS button forces you to cycle through all modes if you want to move one mode below. A knob would be a much better solution.

Slight delay when shifting from R to D.
At least on the MDX, when you press the IDS button, it puts up a display on the display between the tach and speedometer that allows you to scroll through the list of IDS options with the right hand scroller wheel. That's more of a random access method than simply pushing the button 4 times. Given how similar the TLX entire console is to the MDX, I would be surprised if that feature were not also included.
Old 10-01-2014, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
At least on the MDX, when you press the IDS button, it puts up a display on the display between the tach and speedometer that allows you to scroll through the list of IDS options with the right hand scroller wheel. That's more of a random access method than simply pushing the button 4 times. Given how similar the TLX entire console is to the MDX, I would be surprised if that feature were not also included.
The manual doesn't offer the thumb-wheel as an option but I'll give it a try tonight on the drive home to see if it works.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:40 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
FWD V6 has too much power for narrow 225 series tires, or at least extra narrow ones like Acura spec'd (same sized AS3 has 1" wider tread).

The vent reflection is noticeable.

Weight transfer/rocking when coming to a complete stop.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
I test drove a six cylinder version on Monday.

the push button transmission is kinda weird and hard to get used too. yes, the IDS button is weird, having to push 4 times to scroll through the menu. in sport+ the 9 gears is too much!!!!!!!
getting onto the freeway, a quick jaunt to 60 maybe even 70 miles per hour, was tiresome! getting to cruising speed using the paddles all the way to gear 9 was very intensive. then having to push the IDS button 3 times to get back into sport mode where I didnt have to paddle. (maybe because Im not used to paddle shifters or 9 gears)

I also, told the salesman that I wanted to push the car. so, he knew my intentions. not to sure why every one is complaining about skinny tires...it didnt take away from the brisk acceleration at all.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace

the push button transmission is kinda weird and hard to get used too. yes, the IDS button is weird, having to push 4 times to scroll through the menu. in sport+ the 9 gears is too much!!!!!!!
getting onto the freeway, a quick jaunt to 60 maybe even 70 miles per hour, was tiresome! getting to cruising speed using the paddles all the way to gear 9 was very intensive. then having to push the IDS button 3 times to get back into sport mode where I didnt have to paddle. (maybe because Im not used to paddle shifters or 9 gears)

I also, told the salesman that I wanted to push the car. so, he knew my intentions. not to sure why every one is complaining about skinny tires...it didnt take away from the brisk acceleration at all.
You didn't really get on it from a dead stop then. The car goes great when rolling.
Sport+ and using the paddle shifters aren't requisite for enjoying or pushing the car, you may be unnecessarily turning yourself off by insisting on using both.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jeich182
You didn't really get on it from a dead stop then. The car goes great when rolling.
Sport+ and using the paddle shifters aren't requisite for enjoying or pushing the car, you may be unnecessarily turning yourself off by insisting on using both.
well, its a fwd vehicle.
any one who has driven a medium powered FWD vehicle, knows you'll get torque steer from a dead stop while mashing the skinny pedal.
the driver has to modulate the power by feathering the throttle.

I drive a 6MT fwd TL and have figured out the characteristics of the car. I applied my knowledge to TLX and didnt have any traction problems with the skinny 225's.

and yes, you're probably right. I over complicated my test drive with the tech gimmicks.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe a car at the level that Acura expects this to compete at should come with at least an optional heated steering wheel. Acura in Canada makes it standard on most of their models but it's not even available as an option in the US.

I also think a power adjustable steering wheel should be included on the higher end models, it is on the MDX Tech package, but not on the TLX Advance. How does that make sense?

I don't have my car yet, but these are two that jumped out at me from the very beginning.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

Why would you have to use the paddles to get all the way to 9th gear just to get to cruising speed? You can easily get to cruising speed (I think around 70 if needed) in 3rd gear. Once there, change IDS to something other than Sport+ and it will go to 9 for you.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by BookemDanole
Why would you have to use the paddles to get all the way to 9th gear just to get to cruising speed? You can easily get to cruising speed (I think around 70 if needed) in 3rd gear. Once there, change IDS to something other than Sport+ and it will go to 9 for you.
<----first time driving the car.
do you know how scary it is to look down at the center console trying to figure things out while driving?

as stated, I over complicated the test drive
Old 10-01-2014, 10:04 AM

<----first time driving the car.
do you know how scary it is to look down at the center console trying to figure things out while driving?

That's what the Lane Keep Assist feature is for! turn it on and let the car drive itself while you futz with the radio and whatnot.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:06 AM

That's what the Lane Keep Assist feature is for! turn it on and let the car drive itself while you futz with the radio and whatnot.
wtf! my salesman sucked!

I had a display model and i wasnt comfortably parking it back up on the display.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:12 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dislikes:

- Rims on base 2.4L model. Too bland even for a base model.
- AC / Dual climate control synch button. Too many steps to get to this screen which makes it hard to operate while driving
- don't like the seat moving back and forth when turning on/off car
- Stereo power / volume control could be simplified with one button
- some duplication of displays / messages on both the top and lower screens

A lot of this stuff is just probably me getting used to it. I'm coming from an 09 Nissan 370Z which had simpler controls
Old 10-02-2014, 06:01 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by jdh62
IMHO, TLX provides amazing value for the money (i.e., safety technology features). But there are some things that could use improvement. What do you dislike about the TLX? I'll start with my list:
I noticed that too when I test drove the new MDX and TLX. I was comparing that to my 4G TL. I wonder if others with a 4G TL noticed that too?
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 72 Posts
May not be big for some but the steering wheel adjuster still manual, even on the advance package. The MDX is electronic controlled.
The following users liked this post:
Imtheweezel (10-09-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Lots of good input for those of us considering the car. Some of the comments really reasonate with me as bitches I have in other cars. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I believe in Sport+ IDS mode the top two gears (8 & 9) are not used. The TLX cannot have all the bells and whistles - it is Acura's middle of the road sedan. I think it is nicely equiped at it's price point. My only gripe is the rear seat leg room.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:13 AM

for those of us in Houston, Sterling McCall was great in just letting me test drive the car.
I told the salesman that I'd be back wanting to drive the SHAWD.
he said no problem
Old 10-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
for those of us in Houston, Sterling McCall was great in just letting me test drive the car.
I told the salesman that I'd be back wanting to drive the SHAWD.
he said no problem
Hopefully they'll get some in to test drive soon. I deal with Chris Nguyen there.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:35 AM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
Random comments.. got to borrow one overnight and had another look yesterday when signing papers. So getting very familiar while I wait for delivery. I do think the little wheels on the steering wheel are a wonderful piece of ergonomics. The left hand one is totally intuitive and I like the way you can jump one XM station number by holding it to the left or right.

Probably helps that I sell Hondas and am very familiar with their logic, but the touch screen shortcut system has been brilliantly enhanced, enabljng one touch access to 6 of your favorite destinations, 6 phone numbers, climate control preferences etc. Also the haptic system works fine with gloves of any kind - it is pressure sensitive, not relying on conductivity changes. Still prefer buttons...but you couldn't have this many options. I am puzzled why blue is the default color, Hasn't it been proven the red is the least detrimental to night vision and as blue is the opposite end of the spectrum...least you can change it and amber matches the espresso interior more, and is closer to red (which is too Civic Si-ish).

I also tried the stereo a bit more - though the test drive unit did have the bass cranked up a bit, which should not be necessary, at least when the car is stationary the sound balance is fine, with plenty of low frequency extension. I'd call it accurate, and tuneful, not one note boomy, which I detest. Bass freaks can just out a bigger box in the trunk, though it might aggravate ANC, which many Accord owners have learned to disconnect when upgrading its rather inadequate system.

Voice control worked fine but needs to usual changes to "shut her up", which isn't that intuitive but is available in the settings options..

The car should have more rear legroom and it is still a mystery how the Accord is so much more spacious. Meh... Maybe the rear diff space is robbing it. Honda is so masterful at packaging (they learned it from their association with Rover....) I am still puzzled.

The heated windshield is interesting. It has heater elements that appear to go all aling the bottom and up the drivers' side next to the A pillar....will soon find out hos effective that is.

I completely fail to understand the hate for the 17 inch rims. They looks nicer that the painted silver TSX ones. Wish it had better tires though.

The truck is a very good size and the underfloor compartments will be handy. The opening is a bit tight though (TSX is a mite better).

The buttons in the roof are a bit messy. Will see how they work out. The rear reading lights look cool - aircraft like...
The following 2 users liked this post by a77:
4WDrift (10-02-2014), Stew4HD (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by a77
I am puzzled why blue is the default color, Hasn't it been proven the red is the least detrimental to night vision and as blue is the opposite end of the spectrum...least you can change it and amber matches the espresso interior more, and is closer to red (which is too Civic Si-ish).
I swear I looked all over for this and couldn't find it - does anyone know where you go to change the default color settings??
Old 10-02-2014, 10:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidsTLX
- AC / Dual climate control synch button. Too many steps to get to this screen which makes it hard to operate while driving
Voice command "Climate control sync on".

Originally Posted by vhtran
May not be big for some but the steering wheel adjuster still manual, even on the advance package. The MDX is electronic controlled.
I am the primary driver so this may only need to be changed at most a couple times a year. Manual is fine for me.

I swear I looked all over for this and couldn't find it - does anyone know where you go to change the default color settings??
P36 of the Navigation Manual - System Settings, Background Color. Choices are Blue, Amber, Red, and Green
Old 10-02-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Quandry

P36 of the Navigation Manual - System Settings, Background Color. Choices are Blue, Amber, Red, and Green
Excellent - not sure how I overlooked this - thanks!!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Excellent - not sure how I overlooked this - thanks!!
Blue is a cooler, more elegant color. Just sayin.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:49 AM
9th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
There is an option to dim the display after a selected amount of time.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
For the record - the thumbwheel on the TLX does not work to change modes as described above. Bummer.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jdh62
  • Puny volume control knob on dash
  • Driver side mirror has disconcerting view with split for blind spot view.
  • Puny bass on sound system. This will probably get better over time.
  • Anemic acceleration on the V6 Tech (even in Sport+ mode). But guess I'm spoiled from driving a MB E550.
If these are your dislikes, the TLX is a perfect car.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:37 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
I'll add the seats to above.
I'm used with my 4G ones which are perfect for me.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:42 PM

omg, the seats were one thing I loved about the six cylinder TLX, I drove!

the bolsters hugged me tight and I hadnt even started driving yet.
more of a sports car feel to them than my 3G seats.
Stew4HD (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 01:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I like the seats a lot too. I have not sat in a base yet, Tech and Advance V6 so far
Old 10-02-2014, 01:45 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm sorry , but I didn't have same feeling vs my 4G . The 4G ones have a nice lateral bolstering and also on the bottom sides.
The TLX are more flat and less supportive.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Uh oh someone said "dislike" the TLX
Old 10-02-2014, 03:10 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the V6 Tech, and my only complaints so far are:

Shifting isn't terribly smooth in the lower gears. I don't use the paddle shifters, and I'm usually in Eco or Normal modes.

I don't have Pandora or Aha, and I wish I didn't have to cycle through those choices to change from Sirius XM to FM. I use the source button on the steering wheel to change the audio source (so I don't have to take my eyes off the road to use the center console), and I wish I could delete those two options.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
More of a Honda/Acura Dislike than a TLX specific one, but i hate how pressing the Auto button on the Climate control automatically turns on the A/C, and heat/ventilation on the seats.

I wish those functions had independant control as they did on my german made vehicles........... 1st world problems.

No one mentioned the hidden exhausts yet??
Old 10-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidsTLX
Dislikes:

- Rims on base 2.4L model. Too bland even for a base model.
- don't like the seat moving back and forth when turning on/off car
- Stereo power / volume control could be simplified with one button
- some duplication of displays / messages on both the top and lower screens

A lot of this stuff is just probably me getting used to it. I'm coming from an 09 Nissan 370Z which had simpler controls
Seat moving upon entry can be switched OFF through IP System Settings. I didn't like it either.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:55 PM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Two Major Misses in an Otherwise Great Car...

I am surprised myself that the hidden exhausts and lack of traditional gear shifter are not mentioned by others. I understand the rationale for both decisions by Honda but....

[1] the reverse feature takes time and focus to perform. A regular knob is very easy and plenty more enjoyable to use.
[2] the lack of manual is not an issue for me (and many regular drivers), yet, the knob has substance and feel which cannot be replaced with buttons!
[3] unless revealing the exhausts is in the works with an S type model, the back end of the car is somewhat average in looks without the more handsome, sporty, and luxurious look of the TSX it partly replaces.
[4] exhausts are there to be shown, not hidden in the name of 'green' thinking. What comes out of them is the same, whether it be a V8 Mustang or economy Smart car.

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
More of a Honda/Acura Dislike than a TLX specific one, but i hate how pressing the Auto button on the Climate control automatically turns on the A/C, and heat/ventilation on the seats.

I wish those functions had independant control as they did on my german made vehicles........... 1st world problems.

No one mentioned the hidden exhausts yet??
justnspace (10-02-2014)
Old 10-02-2014, 07:59 PM

I too found myself grabbing for an imaginary shifter knob.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Suzuka Master

I grew up with column shifters.. so when I'd get in a car with a stick, I'd reach for the column or vice versa... When I get in my truck, I reach up for the start button that isn't there...

We all get used to change
Old 10-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
One thing that I really dislike about the TLX is the interior door panel. I know this is nitpicking, and I will not be doing it everyday, so it does not matter as much and is not a deal breaker, but I thought that I should just mention it here....

When you press on the interior door panel, you don't get that solid, well-crafted and well-put together feel of the 4G TL, Lexus or MB. Rather, if you push the door panel hard, it will go in quite a bit as if it's hollow inside. That really gives me a "cheap" feel and not solid or luxurious at all. I have no idea why this is the case, and whether it's less expensive to do it this way (another cost cutting measure!?) but it certainly does not get my vote.

Quick Reply: Dislikes?