Dealership Confirmed 2018 Type S and Sport Hyrbid

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 05:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Dealership Confirmed 2018 Type S and Sport Hyrbid

I brought my 15 TLX in for an issue with my rear spoiler and had the district manager there for the parts/service department

He said in 2018 there will be a significant refresh to the front and rear (he never saw what the sides looked like) including the pentagon grill, and the rear will have exhaust tips showing with a new bumper. And said yes there will be a "type s" and the sh-awd will then be the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD as we have seen on the 2017 MDX and the RLX/NSX

I hope he is right!

BTW due to my problems with my spoiler they are giving me side skirts for $480 + tax installed. (Is this a great price?) I negotiated for this after 3 spoilers and still not satisfied. They asked if I was going to do the full aero kit and I said no to the the front and rear that I wanted to wait till the 2018 type s came out to see what it looked like first, that is how we got to talking if there was such a thing. Also considering body side molding if it looks good with the side skirts. Opinions?
The following 4 users liked this post by spoiler900:
a35tl (04-14-2016), mk5 (01-04-2017), silverTL6 (04-19-2016), weather (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 06:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
another he says, she says thread.
Old 04-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 164 Likes on 115 Posts
Not sure how accurate that is since acura is known to be very secretive even with their own dealers, and not give anything until close to launch. If true though, then great! Just not sure if its enough for me to cancel my model 3.

Also, side skirts without the rest of the kit will seem weird, imo.

Btw, isnt acura calabasas closed? Which dealer do u go to now?
Old 04-14-2016, 07:01 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
That's a great price... I just looked and Barnardi sells it for something like $540-$550 online. And that doesn't include installation. I'm talking about the "side underbody spoiler", part# 08F04-TZ3-220
Old 04-14-2016, 08:40 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I wouldn't waste the money on the side if you're not getting the rest of the aero kit. Your car isn't going to flow right.
The following 2 users liked this post by pnoi521:
csmeance (04-14-2016), TacoBello (01-05-2017)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
As someone who's worked in a Honda dealership, I can tell you that no one really has any "inside sources". Their guess is as good as yours.
The following users liked this post:
youngTL (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
Yes I know its speculative but hey it gives us something to look forward to.

And as far as the side skirts, yeah I am worried about it "not flowing" but if that is the case I could always get the front and rear later on. Another member on here did just the sides with rear mud flaps and it looked good.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,580 Likes on 6,628 Posts
Title : "CONFIRMED"

Originally Posted by spoiler900
Yes I know its speculative but hey it gives us something to look forward to.
OP needs a thesaurus or dictionary

Hey hope is hope I guess, I'm just not as trusting of Acura I guess
The following 2 users liked this post by thoiboi:
paperboy42190 (01-05-2017), spoiler900 (04-15-2016)
Old 04-15-2016, 08:22 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I brought my 15 TLX in for an issue with my rear spoiler and had the district manager there for the parts/service department

He said in 2018 there will be a significant refresh to the front and rear (he never saw what the sides looked like) including the pentagon grill, and the rear will have exhaust tips showing with a new bumper. And said yes there will be a "type s" and the sh-awd will then be the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD as we have seen on the 2017 MDX and the RLX/NSX

I hope he is right!

BTW due to my problems with my spoiler they are giving me side skirts for $480 + tax installed. (Is this a great price?) I negotiated for this after 3 spoilers and still not satisfied. They asked if I was going to do the full aero kit and I said no to the the front and rear that I wanted to wait till the 2018 type s came out to see what it looked like first, that is how we got to talking if there was such a thing. Also considering body side molding if it looks good with the side skirts. Opinions?
Is this speculation about 2018 models available in 2017 or 2019 models available in 2018?
Old 04-15-2016, 08:49 AM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
Your "source" doesn't know crap. There is absolutely zero chance he has seen what the 2018 TLX looks like. I doubt even Acura has the design 100% finalized for the refresh that will happen 18 months from now...but its fun to speculate I guess.
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
At this point, I don't see why Acura WOULDN'T do what the district manager said. All one would have to do is spend 15 minutes browsing one of the largest gatherings of Acura owners/fans/haters/whatever, here on AZ, and see what people truly want or hate.

Refreshed front and back is a no brainer. We know the new grill is coming. Ikeda mentioned bringing the exhaust tips back, awhile ago. People have been begging for a Type S, since 2009.

I wonder if sales numbers are what lead to the production of a Type S model... the 4G never sold as well as the 3G, so maybe Acura didn't want to invest the money for small returns. The 5G is now moving in the right direction with sales and maybe they've surpassed some minimum sales number that sees justification for a Type S. I dunno. Just guessing.

Also, in the car world, 18 months isn't that long of a time. And realistically, a 2018 model will begin selling in the second half of 2017. My only wonder is whether the current TLX body can hold the batteries and electric motors without issue, or if redesigning is required. That's the only concern I see.

Either way, yay, positive news from Acura! Let's hope it's true!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:10 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
"Dealership confirmed" means nothing

Even "Acura confirmed" also means nothing because they can change their plan any time. The only thing for sure is when the car sits on the dealership lot. Then it's confirmed

Personal Acura experience.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
My brother works for Honda R&D at Marysville and he is usually working on items that are several years out. He may or may not know what it's exactly for but he can't really divulge anything because of secrecy agreements. I will see him at the end of the month and I can always ask him if he can give me any info, but it's doubtful.

He worked a lot on the NSX and he did tell me some minor things about the TLX prior to release, but he was very vague. I'd imagine that even Honda keeps a lot departmentalized so no one person can give away too much.

It's very likely that the 2018's will have pretty elaborate changes, to what extent, we'll probably have to wait.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
vaporware-no need to get excited until I see pics
Old 04-15-2016, 02:11 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
At this point, I don't see why Acura WOULDN'T do what the district manager said. All one would have to do is spend 15 minutes browsing one of the largest gatherings of Acura owners/fans/haters/whatever, here on AZ, and see what people truly want or hate.

Refreshed front and back is a no brainer. We know the new grill is coming. Ikeda mentioned bringing the exhaust tips back, awhile ago. People have been begging for a Type S, since 2009.

I wonder if sales numbers are what lead to the production of a Type S model... the 4G never sold as well as the 3G, so maybe Acura didn't want to invest the money for small returns. The 5G is now moving in the right direction with sales and maybe they've surpassed some minimum sales number that sees justification for a Type S. I dunno. Just guessing.

Also, in the car world, 18 months isn't that long of a time. And realistically, a 2018 model will begin selling in the second half of 2017. My only wonder is whether the current TLX body can hold the batteries and electric motors without issue, or if redesigning is required. That's the only concern I see.

Either way, yay, positive news from Acura! Let's hope it's true!
The 2G/3G TL situation was different, because there was only 1 single 'performance-level' trim back then.

However, in the 4G situation, Acura had explicitly said that there wouldn't be a 4G Type-S TL because they already had the AWD TL as the high-performance trim (= Type-S) above the base FWD TL.

Similarly, it is very likely that the same applies to the 5G TL as well.

Traditionally, Honda/Acura only adds a SE trim or high-performance trim to a vehicle model(s) to boost slowing sales, especially a couple years after launch when buyers' interest is starting to drop off; and rarely do so when a vehicle model(s) is selling well.

However, the new Honda president, Takahiro Hachigo, is now on board, and is starting to tear up everything that the previous president had planned; just like all his predecessor Honda presidents.

So, we may see something different for Honda/Acura than has bee before.

But we won't see the fruit of Mr. Hachigo's new planning for at least two to three years from now, when new products start to roll off the assembly lines.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The 2G/3G TL situation was different, because there was only 1 single 'performance-level' trim back then.

However, in the 4G situation, Acura had explicitly said that there wouldn't be a 4G Type-S TL because they already had the AWD TL as the high-performance trim (= Type-S) above the base FWD TL.

Similarly, it is very likely that the same applies to the 5G TL as well.

Traditionally, Honda/Acura only adds a SE trim or high-performance trim to a vehicle model(s) to boost slowing sales, especially a couple years after launch when buyers' interest is starting to drop off; and rarely do so when a vehicle model(s) is selling well.

However, the new Honda president, Takahiro Hachigo, is now on board, and is starting to tear up everything that the previous president had planned; just like all his predecessor Honda presidents.

So, we may see something different for Honda/Acura than has bee before.

But we won't see the fruit of Mr. Hachigo's new planning for at least two to three years from now, when new products start to roll off the assembly lines.
So the new president took out the double wishbone and put the cvt to accord? should be.

Honda is the one who is the most lazy manufactroy. TLX, TL all are based on the platform designed for accord. They do not even put extra effort on design a particular platform for Acura. last night, my friend bought a 2009 accord with 55000 from private party. I checked the front suspension which is exactly same as my 2012 TL by only looking at it. same for 2013-2016 accord, there is not front double wishbone, so tlx does not have also. and the suspension looks same.
Japanese competitors, Lexus, Infinite, their q50, IS, the platform is rear wheel bias which I guess is designed especially for Lexus and Infiniti brand.

I wanna say for 4G TL, acura spent a little time on that. for TLX, they just put a new body on accord platform and even save money on exhaust. probably put the money of exhaust on the headlight. the interior has the same feeling of touring trim accord. even the tire size is smaller than accord touring. 2015/2016 TLX grille is beautiful. it is strange acura not using shield grille.

Hybrid Sh-AWD? is it a real sh-awd? I guess it will a front wheel drive tlx with 2 motors on rear. it is damn not a SH-AWD. what is Honda/Acura doing! they probably do not want to do the business anymore. infiniti and lexus are doing well by putting effort but cutting cost.
I am angry because I like Honda and Acura. angry they took out the feature I or other people like. angry I do not know which acura or honda product I can buy from their downgrading product line.

Last edited by lltfly; 04-15-2016 at 03:42 PM.
Ace06 (01-07-2017)
Old 04-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Who wants to bet $20 that the Type S, which I'm sure is coming, won't have a manual transmission option? Any takers?
Old 04-15-2016, 06:48 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by lltfly
So the new president took out the double wishbone and put the cvt to accord? should be.

Honda is the one who is the most lazy manufactroy. TLX, TL all are based on the platform designed for accord. They do not even put extra effort on design a particular platform for Acura. last night, my friend bought a 2009 accord with 55000 from private party. I checked the front suspension which is exactly same as my 2012 TL by only looking at it. same for 2013-2016 accord, there is not front double wishbone, so tlx does not have also. and the suspension looks same.
Japanese competitors, Lexus, Infinite, their q50, IS, the platform is rear wheel bias which I guess is designed especially for Lexus and Infiniti brand.

I wanna say for 4G TL, acura spent a little time on that. for TLX, they just put a new body on accord platform and even save money on exhaust. probably put the money of exhaust on the headlight. the interior has the same feeling of touring trim accord. even the tire size is smaller than accord touring. 2015/2016 TLX grille is beautiful. it is strange acura not using shield grille.

Hybrid Sh-AWD? is it a real sh-awd? I guess it will a front wheel drive tlx with 2 motors on rear. it is damn not a SH-AWD. what is Honda/Acura doing! they probably do not want to do the business anymore. infiniti and lexus are doing well by putting effort but cutting cost.
I am angry because I like Honda and Acura. angry they took out the feature I or other people like. angry I do not know which acura or honda product I can buy from their downgrading product line.
Most Acura models are based on Honda models since the very beginning. The only exception would be the Legend. But then again, the first legend was a collaboration with Rover, so it wasn't exactly a 100% Honda product.

The likes of Toyota and Nissan always have a RWD platform available. These are traditionally larger companies compared to Honda.

lol, not sure what you mean by "save money on exhaust" as the car does have an exhaust. It's just that the tips were hidden.

What is "real sh-awd"? SH-AWD stands for super handling all wheel drive. It doesn't say anything regarding how it works. All that name says is that the handling is better than normal. How that is achieved isn't specified with the name.

Put it this way, the old SH-AWD is an electrically controlled mechanical system. And the eSH-AWD is mainly an electrical system.

Do you realize that for the old SH-AWD, it only works when you step on the gas pedal? On the other hand, the sport hybrid SH-AWD is useful whether you are braking, coasting, or accelerating.

Not sure what you mean by Honda/Acura don't want business anymore.Since, again, basing stuff on Honda has been their main model for a long time. Care to explain how they have downgraded? I don't know man, if anything, they have improved. The concern I have is that they are not improving fast enough.
The following 3 users liked this post by iforyou:
a35tl (04-15-2016), blakura (01-16-2017), mapleloaf (01-06-2017)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Forum Contributor

Received 1,391 Likes on 643 Posts
From November 2015:

Behind the Wheel
Report from the Acura Dealer Meeting

http://www.imakenews.com/conacura/e_...Npjhh,by7rvlQP
Old 04-15-2016, 08:17 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by 07Acuradude
Your "source" doesn't know crap. There is absolutely zero chance he has seen what the 2018 TLX looks like. I doubt even Acura has the design 100% finalized for the refresh that will happen 18 months from now...but its fun to speculate I guess.
I agree- I have found that dealers are the last to appear to know and for good reason: they are tasked with selling cars they have in stock now.

Acura needs to do something in 2017. If a small company like Tesla can produce a new model and claim to deliver in Q4 2017 surely a large company like Honda/Acura can do a mid-cycle refresh in that time frame. If they can't, they got big problems.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:43 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts

LOL, you obviously don't know what you're talking about in regards to Sport Hybrid SH-AWD! Clearly you've never driven an RLX that has it, because it really is something else. I cannot believe how nimble the RLX SH was when I tested one. The RLX owners on this forum who have one of the SH models could tell you the same thing.

The only disadvantage of the sport hybrid system is that you can still get a bit of wheelspin up front, because the full power of the gas engine isn't split.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:58 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
LOL, you obviously don't know what you're talking about in regards to Sport Hybrid SH-AWD! Clearly you've never driven an RLX that has it, because it really is something else. I cannot believe how nimble the RLX SH was when I tested one. The RLX owners on this forum who have one of the SH models could tell you the same thing.

The only disadvantage of the sport hybrid system is that you can still get a bit of wheelspin up front, because the full power of the gas engine isn't split.
I only have driven TLX sh-awd, 2010 TL sh-awd not rlx which is too business for me.
2010 TL sh-awd is amazing. I am a conservative person. as my understanding, a awd car needs to have similar amount of torque and power split on four wheels. I do not know how much torque and power rear motors can offer for hybrid sh-awd. But it should not be even close to front wheels powered by gas engine. for current sh-awd, rear wheels can dynamically have around 70% of torque when needed. wondering if e motors assembled at rear wheels can do.
I watched a video about ability of awd system. Sh-awd is really the best in the business which beat Audi's quattro. in that Video MDX is unbeatable because anyone of 4 wheels can have enough amount of power to pull the whole car out of testing scenario. If e motors can do that?

there is an assumption, in a high speed right turn corner, floor accelerator, over 5000 rpm, all engine power applied on two fronts, if left rear wheel which has a motor, has sufficient power to push the car out of corner? at least as a esh-awd, left rear wheel will get more power than right rear, but it still has less power than front. it turns out that the car is still pulled by two fronts in the corner.
This is my understanding. I am not a professional car guy. but want to learn.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:21 AM

I only have driven TLX sh-awd, 2010 TL sh-awd not rlx which is too business for me.
2010 TL sh-awd is amazing. I am a conservative person. as my understanding, a awd car needs to have similar amount of torque and power split on four wheels. I do not know how much torque and power rear motors can offer for hybrid sh-awd. But it should not be even close to front wheels powered by gas engine. for current sh-awd, rear wheels can dynamically have around 70% of torque when needed. wondering if e motors assembled at rear wheels can do.
I watched a video about ability of awd system. Sh-awd is really the best in the business which beat Audi's quattro. in that Video MDX is unbeatable because anyone of 4 wheels can have enough amount of power to pull the whole car out of testing scenario. If e motors can do that?

there is an assumption, in a high speed right turn corner, floor accelerator, over 5000 rpm, all engine power applied on two fronts, if left rear wheel which has a motor, has sufficient power to push the car out of corner? at least as a esh-awd, left rear wheel will get more power than right rear, but it still has less power than front. it turns out that the car is still pulled by two fronts in the corner.
This is my understanding. I am not a professional car guy. but want to learn.

The e-SH-AWD isn't meant for getting out of mud, but it could get you out of snow no problem. The main purpose of it is for handling. Don't forget those electric motors deliver their torque instantly. Even going around a corner at 5000 RPM, the fronts will be pulling yes, but the rear motors are doing double duty. You get positive torque on the outside rear wheel and NEGATIVE torque on the inside one (and it recharges the battery some or uses that power to power the outside rear). Don't underestimate how much that combo of + and - counteracts understeer even in a heavy car like the RLX.

Additionally, the RLX SH has better weight distribution than the FWD version because of the location of the battery packs.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:27 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL

Additionally, the RLX SH has better weight distribution than the FWD version because of the location of the battery packs.
The eSH-AWD (57/43:front/rear) merely shifts 4% of curb weight from the front to the rear of the car, when compared with the FWD trim (61/39:front/rear).
Old 04-16-2016, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
The eSH-AWD (57/43:front/rear) merely shifts 4% of curb weight from the front to the rear of the car, when compared with the FWD trim (61/39:front/rear).
Don't underestimate how much even shifting 1% back helps. There is less distance to 50/50 which is the ideal. 61 is 11% away from 50%. 57% is only 7% away from 50%. That's 36% closer to ideal then what it was before.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is TLX projected for 2018
I like the fact they included the nsx wheels

Old 04-18-2016, 09:35 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
2018 model TLX will be the MMC version, so i'm not surprise to see big changes like MDX is going through from '16 to '17. question is Acura can't afford to sit on their a** waiting for '18, they have to do something with the '17 model TLX, but not too much to the point it's a MMC cuz they will reserve that to the '18 model.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:20 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
That front end looks good, but it kind of reminds me of the new Mustang.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
When my 2015 TLX lease is up, I plan to get the 2018 TLX.

Hopefully it will look good 's' or no 's'.

Just hope I like the color choices.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by tlxsteve
When my 2015 TLX lease is up, I plan to get the 2018 TLX.

Hopefully it will look good 's' or no 's'.

Just hope I like the color choices.
Colour choices, with Honda/Acura.
Old 04-19-2016, 12:59 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Just wait, a year before they update to the next gen, you're get an awesome red color...and just like that it will be obsolete.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:29 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

He said he read on the internet that in 2018 there will be a significant refresh to the front and rear (he never saw what the sides looked like) including the pentagon grill, and the rear will have exhaust tips showing with a new bumper. And said yes there will be a "type s" and the sh-awd will then be the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD as we have seen on the 2017 MDX and the RLX/NSX

Fixed it for you.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:30 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by maxld470
This is TLX projected for 2018
I like the fact they included the nsx wheels

These are just photo-shopped. They are not real.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:07 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts

I hope he is right!

This post became a bit more intriguing...the first sentence of predictions is completely true.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mk5
This post became a bit more intriguing...the first sentence of predictions is completely true.
Front and rear changes are happening. There will be no powertrain changes, your dealer is doing some wishful thinking...
blakura (01-16-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
This story line has been posted a number of times over the past 5 or 6 years, so far with zero results.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
blakura (01-16-2017), justnspace (01-05-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
This story line has been posted a number of times over the past 5 or 6 years, so far with zero results.

one can always tell the young bloods, or shark bait
Old 01-05-2017, 02:27 PM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
^Is that the Duck Hunt dog? Nice!

I will keep my optimism going until further review...
Old 01-05-2017, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by mk5
^Is that the Duck Hunt dog? Nice!

I will keep my optimism going until further review...
Seven or eight years in gestation, hope its really something special & earns its "S"
blakura (01-16-2017)
Old 01-05-2017, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Was at an Acura dealership last month and asked a salesman about the '18 TLX. He told me they had just gotten some new info regarding the mid cycle refresh and though Acura considered a Type S model, they ultimately decided against it and instead will offer an A-Spec package. He did say that there would be significant cosmetic updates and a slight bump in power. He said to expect the power bump to push the 300 hp mark for the V6. Don't know if he knew what he was talking about or just blowing smoke. I caught him in a lie about something else so I take everything he said with a grain of salt.