CR Annual Owner Satisfaction Survey

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
CR Annual Owner Satisfaction Survey

Consumer Reports Dumps Acura Near Fiat in Owner Satisfaction Survey

"Acura’s ILX was the least endearing, most regrettable purchase you could make. Dissatisfied owners faulted it for being a dressed-up and over-priced Honda Civic, complaining that it was too slow, had an unrefined ride, and boasted loads of road noise."

"Jeep, Acura, Infiniti, Nissan, and Fiat all averaged a sub 60-percent satisfaction score."
Old 12-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Ouch.
Old 12-22-2016, 04:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
The ILX got the worst score in the below survey, so not sure how much the 1 model impacted things overall

7 Cars Owners Regret Buying - Consumer Reports

There is a huge spread between Acura, and Honda, whereas NIssan and Infiniti were right next to each other (tied with Acura), and Toyota and Lexus were close together as well.

http://www.consumerreports.org/car-r...-satisfaction/

I agree with critiques on the ILX being noisy, etc, but what I don't understand is people figuring most of these complaints only after the purchase was complete. Nothing listed wouldn't have been obvious after a few minutes of a test drive.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 12-22-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:44 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
I was in a 2016, the ILX drives just fine, an honest car although the new Civic kills it, now. I am sure that it has the same db rating (engine or road noise) as the average in this class.

I don't believe at all that Infiniti has a sub-60 satisfaction score, neither it is the case for Acura. There is no reason to have a big gap between Honda and Acura. Like there is no reason to have a big gap between Chrysler and Dodge.

Goofy methodology.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Originally Posted by Saintor
Goofy methodology.
From the comments we see on this board, data seems right. Most buy them because of the Acura brand, then they see things as not what it used to be. How much more data do you need to see that satisfaction is going down, people are not happy.
Old 12-23-2016, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
From the comments we see on this board, data seems right. Most buy them because of the Acura brand, then they see things as not what it used to be. How much more data do you need to see that satisfaction is going down, people are not happy.
So you also believe that Infiniti has also a sub-60 satisfaction score? No way.

The majority of Acura sales are SUV and I hear no complaints about the RDX or MDX, to the contrary.

Unreliable data.

Last edited by Saintor; 12-23-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

^^For Infiniti, there was some initial bad feedback about the Q50 (slow infotainment, steering feel with DAS, etc). But I think that was adjusted with the latest models. If survey is only with current year models, seems rather low. If including a few years, makes sense since it factors in consumers with "lemons".

As for Acura, SUVs are the cash cows. The sedans are the ones getting the negative press. Could be the sedans are greatly affecting the score to offset decent scores from SUVs.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:50 AM
mk5
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 50 Posts
^Spot on. If the TLX died today, it's legacy would be the awful transmission and a host of issues. The performance is forgettable. The SUVs, on the other hand, should be above par.

I ran across a J.D. Power press release on the 2017 TLX SH-AWD Advance. I think the Final Impressions are a great summary of what Acura (I hope) and what I think we all would hope for the future (emphasis added):

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles/new-car-reviews/powersteering-2017-acura-tlx-review

Final Impressions
Acura is just beginning its reinvention process. The long-gestating NSX sports car is finally in showrooms, and the company has revealed appealing concepts that show clear hints about what is in store for the automaker’s future products.

In the meantime, the company is eager to put a TLX into an aspirational driver’s hands. J.D. Power data shows that the intended buyer is not the person actually buying the car. In reality, TLX buyers are looking mainly for value, and getting a good deal on a car that is unlikely to break.

Clearly, though, Acura wants to be shopped for something more than a low lease payment. That is likely to begin happening with an expected TLX refresh for 2018.
The following users liked this post:
pyrodan007 (12-24-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 12:18 PM
Team Owner

So you also believe that Infiniti has also a sub-60 satisfaction score? No way.

The majority of Acura sales are SUV and I hear no complaints about the RDX or MDX, to the contrary.

Unreliable data.
Funny story- my boss bought a loaded 2016 MDX... and she hates the car with a passion. She said she did her homework, looked at a lot of models and the MDX kept coming up as being one of the best.

She hates it. She complains it takes her kids forever to get into the 3rd row and buckled up, the turning radius in parking lots is abysmal (she came from. A Ford SUV and said the turning is way worse in the mdx), she then said she managed to scrape the back bumper when backing into a spot because she couldn't see the obstacle and non of the back up alarms went off as they normally do. She had other gripes but says she can't wait to get rid of this thing.

Funny how real people feel eh?
pyrodan007 (12-24-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 05:17 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Haha, yes, everyone would have his/her own opinion. For instance, my boss wants a 9th gen Civic Si over a Golf GTI and the 8g Civic Si. The reason? He doesn't want turbo, and he wants more torque than the K20 in the 8g. He had a 400hp Evo 3 and a Porsche 944 before. Currently he has a V8 S4 6MT. I asked if he would be interested in the new S4. And he was like "ya the new S4 looks nice, but I don't want turbo, and I only want 6-speed manual."
Old 12-24-2016, 01:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Since we are talking about personal observations and comments from acquaintances I will mention that I saw another newish BMW 3 sedan broken down last week. It happens several times per year. I have yet to see an Acura in that circumstance.
Old 12-24-2016, 01:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
The ILX comments about power seem odd to me - and I would suggest they relate more to the 2015 ILX. The 16 and on models have a 201 HP with decent torque and a very smooth and quick shifting 8 speed DCT transmission. It's a quick car with that pairing and the relative lightness of the ILX I have driven them on test drives and loaners quite a bit, so personally, I find the CR findings unusual. As stated above, quickness is something you would always test, and if indeed they were looking for a 300 hp car, well....then those folks should not be allowed around sharp objects! I wonder if someone driving an 32k A3 base model with 185 hp would say it's too slow - and it's slower than the ILX. As for road noise, I find it just fine with the ANC for most driving. The objective review I attached below talks about wind noise at highway speed as the issue there, in comparison to other luxury entry levels.

I Still Understand the Acura ILX Better Than Most of You ? Claveys Corner
a35tl (12-24-2016)
Old 12-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Since we are talking about personal observations and comments from acquaintances I will mention that I saw another newish BMW 3 sedan broken down last week. It happens several times per year. I have yet to see an Acura in that circumstance.
I am sure that Acura bashers don't have a clue what Audi, BMW, Mercedes owners have to endure.

My previous BMW (E90, In CAD, over 7.5 years 83K miles)

- power drain that sucked battery down every two days - they kept the car 2 weeks over 3 occasions in 3 months before it was finally fixed
- sunroof cartridge completely replaced.
- $1500 thermostat and waterpump
- heater seat was working only at max, needed a new module
- 2x head cover gaskets, last one on my own, needed a new valve cover - they are made of PLASTIC(!) - another $1000, leak around the oil filter housing, never fixed
- severe engine ticking on cold; exhaust valves needed replacement, so the head was open. It re-appeared in the last 2 years I had it.
- dealer observed noise, wanted the replacement of the rear differential at 87000km - initially $3600, they consented to $1800, the car stayed with that whistle noise until the trade-in.
- all 4 struts, that leaked.
- numerous jack pads, and $510 to repair their el cheapo plastic guards under the car.
- multiple O2 sensors.

+ other minor and more normal stuff like battery... Among positives;for whatever reason the brakes were superb and the front needed repair only at 70000miles. The outsourced GM transmission was a very good one, no wonder GM used it until 2015. So I can't help but having a large grin when I see Acura whiners complain about problems what were contained in time.

Last edited by Saintor; 12-24-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-24-2016, 04:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
While I am not saying that Acura is worse than BMW or Audi, it is not as good as it once was.....and that is what annoys me. I have a Lexus IS350 and that car has been FLAWLESS which is what my 2012 TL was. I am not sure people can claim that the TLX is as well built (problem wise) as the TL was. I could be wrong, but I see the problem boar a lot more active than what the TL was.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 937 Likes on 487 Posts
My 39-month lease on a 2014 RLX Advanced PAWS is a prime example of what the CR ratings are showing. I made the jump into one because I trusted the brand after having an amazing 6-year ownership experience with my 3G 2006 6-speed TL. I figured if Im going to pay $30k+ more to Acura for a flagship, it should be better in every regards.

Well it wasnt. It was a complete failure and a huge step backwards in terms of build quality. Didnt matter that it had a really nice interior, or a solid reliable performing engine. With a NAV system slower than my outgoing TL, a horrendous suspension system that couldnt even rival my wifes prior 2013 ILX suspension, and over 40+ TSB's, with some issues that make you go "who the F built this car??", it was like they released the product with absolutely 0 quality assurance testing. Call my experience subjective or not, the sales numbers are there to back me up.

I went into my RLX lease with every desire and intention to love the car and keep it for a long period (7-10 years). Instead I was left with a failure of a product only to return the car after spending $45k in total with absolutely nothing left to show for it, and you start to see where the problem is. You start to upset (and lose) your most loyal customers.

I moved into a 2016 ILX in June, and while it is a huge improvment over the RLX in terms of the build quality I came to expect from Acura, I agree with all the items the CR report list as "issues" with the ILX. However, a lease payment of $375 on the ILX vs $980 on the RLX doesnt make it sting as much, making it much easier to live with the gaps, but otherwise I agree the ILX lacks overall refinement to be classified as a "luxury sport sedan".

The only reason Im not with Audi right now is that they couldn't buy me out of my RLX lease due to all the negative equity / residual, and the fact that I was over 8k miles on my lease. Otherwise, I'd already be in a TT or 2017 A4 and called it done with Acura for good.

At the end of the day, I compare Acura to what Acura used to be. They are not some new car company. They are a 30-year old company making mistakes that should not have happened. All they can do from here is hopefully stay aware of the issues, listen to customer feedback with real intention, and execute on the improvements they need to make.

Last edited by holografique; 12-24-2016 at 11:12 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by holografique:
Civic2TSX (12-29-2016), pyrodan007 (12-24-2016), TacoBello (12-26-2016), weather (12-25-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 07:20 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm relatively new to Acura, even though I did have an Integra in the 90's. My question is aren't they still part of Honda? And doesn't Honda still make reliable, well-built, quality cars with good resale value? What happened?

I like my TLX, but there's just too much bad Acura press for this to be a small isolated problem.

What the heck happened???
Old 12-25-2016, 07:26 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
^complacent

Acura did not have the foresight to see emerging brands taking over the "value luxury" niche
They rested on their laurels instead of gun blazing the west

its what happens to ANY brand if there is no innovation
TacoBello (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 08:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ complacent is one way of looking at it, the other aspect is the HORRIBLE management!! While I know it is impossible to do so, they should fire everyone in the management structure and start fresh. It blows my mind that a car company can't understand the basic concept of building good looking, fun to drive, reliable vehicles - I mean seriously, is it that hard to understand! The members on the forum have given Acura all the help they could and yet, they keep delivering the opposite of what people ask for. As "holografique" stated, they have just given us products that are sub par as far as built quality is concerned. Sure, it is still more reliable than a Jeep, but come on, this is Acura we are talking about here. We could all accept a FWD plateform as long as it would be sexy on the outside, engaging on the inside and less time with recalls, TSB and "oh its normal" BS!

So while they couldn't invest the money to give a manual cause its too expense to develop and only 3% take rate but they can develop a 200k car that will do what....create buzz for the brand?!?! They would have been better off investing that more in giving us a Type-S and a BETTER built car - I know the NSX is a Honda car and will be sold globally but listen, if Honda doesn't want to invest in Acura and feel they can't build a true luxury sedan, then just give up and stop trying to give us hope you can deliver when all you guys do is ruin the brand.

My 2 cents
The following 3 users liked this post by weather:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-25-2016), justnspace (12-25-2016), TacoBello (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 08:18 AM
Banned

What took a serious toll at the brand was the horrendous styling from 2009 (TL and TSX), specially the infamous beak up to the 2014 RLX. A lot of 'no want' among buyers, Unfortunately the TLX kept it, although the styling improved (I get compliments about its look, believe or not), but it could be bolder.

Having said that, I agree that Acura's brand is poorly managed. It should be the flagship of Honda. I don't see a reason why there is no TLX-S or equivalent, after soon 4th year in the run. They do reasonably well with the SUV. For cars, the reality is that they are often released 2-3 years after their Honda platform. Why no Android Audio in the 2017 TLX while the Accord has it since 2016 again???? Business-wise, they somehow adopted the Costco model. No extremes, good quality and great value, but no extreme variations in their mainstreamer models.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
okay, I can agree on that.
Fire every one and start a new
Old 12-25-2016, 12:55 PM
Banned

Just remember one I forgot.

The manumatic (BMW Steptronic) failed *twice*.

The first time it was replaced under warranty.

The second time I was on my own. I did a little DIY fix commonly used by others; amateur-like wires extension as the original ones were too short.

Would that kind of nonsense happen in Acura's world? If yes, Acurazine servers would be overload and shut down. lol.

Last edited by Saintor; 12-25-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Thanks for the inputs. Good points. The more I think about it, it might not change. Picture a guy on the Honda Board of Directors, and what he might think:
-the whole auto industry is going to change in the next 10 to 25 years
-Millennial's (and probably following generations) don't give a hoot about cars
-automobiles will just be commodities. Autonomous, or used by ride sharing services, or just economically getting from point A to B.
-there may be a tiny niche for luxury and sports cars.

Then the Board guy thinks about Honda/Acura:
-Acura is far behind current luxury/sports auto manufacturers.
-it'll take about 10 years to catch up, even with massive expenditures
-by then, the market is becoming smaller and smaller.
-Honda is the one positioned for the "commodity" auto market, give Honda the resources to pursue it.

When I look at it this way, Acura is doomed. Just let it die a slow death with SUV's and a few sedans. Then kill it off like Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn, etc. Concentrate on Honda being the leader for the car market mentioned above.

Still doesn't explain big differences in quality between Acura and Honda for current vehicles, but may explain the complacency. Just some ideas.
weather (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 01:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Would that kind of nonsense happen in Acura's world? If yes, Acurazine servers would be overload and shut down. lol.
As a matter of fact it does happen in Acura's world. Let me kindly guide you to the official RLX TSB thread here on Acurazine.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...thread-921955/

I'd suggest making a cup of coffee first. And remember, this is supposed to be their flagship...best of the best.
TacoBello (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 01:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ And the list on the first post doesn't include all the subsequent ongoing additions. Read through all three pages on that thread. And then come back and tell me if you feel that CR's data on where the RLX stands is still inaccurate...
TacoBello (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 01:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Goofy methodology.
I looked into CR's method for their reliability reports each year and there are definitely lot of limitations. The sample is obviously biased in selection...limited to subscribers of CR (aside from neuronbob who has personally responded to a survey, I know of no one in my real life who pays a subscription to CR).

Without CR releasing demographic data on their responders (they never will as they said this is a trade secret of sorts) and without knowing how many of each model cars are surveyed we do not know how much % of the owners are CR and how many were sold.

The CR reports touts over 300k vehicles from survey...and Acura itself has sold way more than 300k in those model years 2014-2017 (selling over 170k by 2015).

So you're getting the opinion of a tiny % of Acura owners who subscribe to CR and who actually respond to this survey and who, for whatever reason may LOVE or HATE the car they bought.

I'm not an acura apologist by any means, the falling sales of Acura is telling already, but we do need to be careful in using CR as some gold-standard for reliability/satisfaction and using it as evidence to justify our own feelings about Acura's present products (which on AZine is quite negative overall).
Old 12-25-2016, 01:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by holografique
As a matter of fact it does happen in Acura's world. Let me kindly guide you to the official RLX TSB thread here on Acurazine.

I'd suggest making a cup of coffee first. And remember, this is supposed to be their flagship...best of the best.
This can definitely explain gripes about the RLX.

And certainly not incredibly surprising as the RLX is a brand new platform and a HUGE departure from their previous flagship of the RL. It has the hybrid motors in front and back and likely was a partial test-bed for the same (or very similar motors) for the new NSX (their specs are exactly the same on published spec sheets). Brand new tech and big departure from past will likely draw many more issues/TSBs in the first few years.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Originally Posted by nist7
This can definitely explain gripes about the RLX.

And certainly not incredibly surprising as the RLX is a brand new platform and a HUGE departure from their previous flagship of the RL. It has the hybrid motors in front and back and likely was a partial test-bed for the same (or very similar motors) for the new NSX (their specs are exactly the same on published spec sheets). Brand new tech and big departure from past will likely draw many more issues/TSBs in the first few years.

There is nothing new with that platform, it is old Honda Accord platform, PAWS RLX is a mess, it is Acura's shame. There is no excuse to release its flagship with that kind suspension...
Old 12-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
I looked into CR's method for their reliability reports each year and there are definitely lot of limitations. The sample is obviously biased in selection...limited to subscribers of CR (aside from neuronbob who has personally responded to a survey, I know of no one in my real life who pays a subscription to CR).

Without CR releasing demographic data on their responders (they never will as they said this is a trade secret of sorts) and without knowing how many of each model cars are surveyed we do not know how much % of the owners are CR and how many were sold.

The CR reports touts over 300k vehicles from survey...and Acura itself has sold way more than 300k in those model years 2014-2017 (selling over 170k by 2015).

So you're getting the opinion of a tiny % of Acura owners who subscribe to CR and who actually respond to this survey and who, for whatever reason may LOVE or HATE the car they bought.

I'm not an acura apologist by any means, the falling sales of Acura is telling already, but we do need to be careful in using CR as some gold-standard for reliability/satisfaction and using it as evidence to justify our own feelings about Acura's present products (which on AZine is quite negative overall).
So why do you think any other car in the survey is rated any differently than the TLX?

IMHO everything you said, except falling sales, can be applied to any car in the survey, most all of which have much higher volumes than the TLX & are exposed to more people who may be pi**ed off.?
holografique (12-25-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Banned

35 over the course of 4 years. Ok.

The 3-series has 46 for the model year 2013 only.
2013 BMW 3 Series Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)
Old 12-25-2016, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
So while they couldn't invest the money to give a manual cause its too expense to develop and only 3% take rate but they can develop a 200k car that will do what....create buzz for the brand?!?! They would have been better off investing that more in giving us a Type-S and a BETTER built car - I know the NSX is a Honda car and will be sold globally but listen, if Honda doesn't want to invest in Acura and feel they can't build a true luxury sedan, then just give up and stop trying to give us hope you can deliver when all you guys do is ruin the brand.
My 2 cents
That really went very well. To have a big league performance image they elect to run the NSX is the major US racing series for top end sports cars. Only to perform very badly & have to pull the signature electric drive units out to be competitive. To add insult to injury at the mass consumer level the car gets tanked by Corvettes & Mustangs in the C&D Annual Lightning Laps.
Those events followed up the removal of the SHAWD module from the factory sponsored TLX race cars in their series again because the cars were not competitive in their class.

So far all the buzz they created with a large investment in big time racing was one that said dont buy an Acura among performance car fans instead of tending to the base that was actually buying the cars. Theses marketing geniuses took a first rate brand in its class & in two generations ran into the ground up all that good will they had earned.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
nist7 (12-26-2016), Rocket_man (01-02-2017), weather (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 06:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

35 over the course of 4 years. Ok.
The 3-series has 46 for the model year 2013 only.
2013 BMW 3 Series Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)
And like I said before, I compare Acura to Acura, and the number of issues (some of which aren't listed and were never corrected that I had with my 2014 RLX) are not representative of what Acura used to be. Also, the 3-series isn't their flagship. Big difference.

And certainly not incredibly surprising as the RLX is a brand new platform and a HUGE departure from their previous flagship of the RL
I understand new platforms, but Acura is not a new car company. And we're not talking about releasing the new version of Windows OS with bugs that were missed by BETA testers. We're talking about a vehicle that was 3/4 of the way to $100k in price. We're talking about a car company that has 30-years of experience and processes to draw on to make sure they release a quality product, like they were once known for. Some of the issues listed in the TSB had nothing to do with a new platform and had everything to do with sheer flat out product mismanagement and lack of quality control. Some issues (that aren't listed as TSBs) were flat out design issues with the vehicle that will never be addressed in the 2014/2015 models. The NAV system that performed slower than the 2006 TL NAV system. The poorly designed suspension system that they didn't correct until 2 years later in the 2016 models. An AC system that made all sorts of mechanical whistling and moaning noises that only I and a few others on this forum were able to figure out a fix for, because Acura engineering STILL can't figure it out themselves and release a proper TSB for it. Really? For a flagship vehicle listed at $60k MSRP?

Like I said, piss poor quality control and quality management for what was supposed to be the ultimate Acura vehicle experience, short of a $160k NSX. The CR ratings are no ones fault but Acura.

Last edited by holografique; 12-25-2016 at 06:20 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by holografique:
nist7 (12-26-2016), pyrodan007 (12-25-2016), quantum7 (12-26-2016), TacoBello (12-26-2016), weather (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 08:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Like I said, piss poor quality control and quality management for what was supposed to be the ultimate Acura vehicle experience, short of a $160k NSX. The CR ratings are no ones fault but Acura.
Acura's selling card was once German level performance at Japanese level engineering/reliability. Now it can only be seen as Chinese reliability at European level prices.

BWM may have TSBs too, but if they actually fix stuff and are always fun to drive, really not a bad thing. The RLX is a super expansive ugly Accord (to me) and unreliable, so no wonder it sales only a few copies a month.

Last edited by pyrodan007; 12-25-2016 at 08:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pyrodan007:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-26-2016), TacoBello (12-26-2016), weather (12-26-2016)
Old 12-25-2016, 09:43 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
So why do you think any other car in the survey is rated any differently than the TLX?

IMHO everything you said, except falling sales, can be applied to any car in the survey, most all of which have much higher volumes than the TLX & are exposed to more people who may be pi**ed off.?
As I said before, I am not an Acura apologist. And yup you're right also that this applies to every car...which is an overall bias/issue with CR and their undisclosed data on how many of each models are being surveyed.

And certainly there is some truth to Acura's worse reliability as it is evident in other data, as I've pointed out in other threads with respect to their falling sales and also relative down sales in their SUV/CUV as well compared to industry average. And of course this is at least SOME data set we have so certainly some truth to it. Just highlighting some criticism on the method of CR and limiting our self-fulfilling prophecy. So the lesson to me is that CR does show some trends, keeping their limitations in mind, and that those at the top are not reliability gods nor are those at the bottom complete trash...but the truth is likely somewhere in the middle.
BEAR-AvHistory (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 07:22 AM
Banned

You are misleaded. In their 2016 cars reliability report (compilation of owners data), the TLX actually got high mark, showing mostly red dots (meaning better than average, in opposition of black ones), NOT the contrary.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:09 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
What took a serious toll at the brand was the horrendous styling from 2009 (TL and TSX), specially the infamous beak up to the 2014 RLX. A lot of 'no want' among buyers, Unfortunately the TLX kept it, although the styling improved (I get compliments about its look, believe or not), but it could be bolder.

Having said that, I agree that Acura's brand is poorly managed. It should be the flagship of Honda. I don't see a reason why there is no TLX-S or equivalent, after soon 4th year in the run. They do reasonably well with the SUV. For cars, the reality is that they are often released 2-3 years after their Honda platform. Why no Android Audio in the 2017 TLX while the Accord has it since 2016 again???? Business-wise, they somehow adopted the Costco model. No extremes, good quality and great value, but no extreme variations in their mainstreamer models.

My impression as well. There used to be a certain "mystique" about an Acura up until maybe the early 2000s. We bought our first 2000 TL back when it was clearly better than the competition (Lexus ES as far as I am concerned) in terms of a number of things such as styling, engine, refinements, and bang-for-the-buck. The 3rd Gen TL was also outstanding but Acura did not expand their overall line like Lexus did. Somewhere along the line it strikes me that the bean-counters or somebody at Acura/Honda just threw in the towel while the competition (Lexus, Infiniti, and most recently Genesis) became the more serious players.
TacoBello (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 02:09 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Funny story- my boss bought a loaded 2016 MDX... and she hates the car with a passion. She said she did her homework, looked at a lot of models and the MDX kept coming up as being one of the best.

She hates it. She complains it takes her kids forever to get into the 3rd row and buckled up, the turning radius in parking lots is abysmal (she came from. A Ford SUV and said the turning is way worse in the mdx), she then said she managed to scrape the back bumper when backing into a spot because she couldn't see the obstacle and non of the back up alarms went off as they normally do. She had other gripes but says she can't wait to get rid of this thing.

Funny how real people feel eh?
Those kinds of stories highlight how poorly many people shop for vehicles and the fact that they probably spend more time worrying about the cup holders and not enough time on whether the turning radius is too large or the kids can easily get in and out of the vehicle.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:35 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by neil0311
Those kinds of stories highlight how poorly many people shop for vehicles and the fact that they probably spend more time worrying about the cup holders and not enough time on whether the turning radius is too large or the kids can easily get in and out of the vehicle.
yeah. And depends on how good the financial deal/salesmanship was too. Few people probably buy a new car on a completely rational/logical thought out process....and few can take the car for extended test drives (ie 24 horus) so they drive for 30min, walk around the car for 30min and get signed onto a great deal by the sales person....later when they actually have to live with the car....all the negatives come out.
Old 12-26-2016, 02:38 PM
Team Owner

You're taking the results much too literally. It's working as intended- a snapshot of ownership feelings. And obviously the snap shot is showing very poor results. There are some like Saintor who love their car to death, as there always will be with any car. There's a 30-35 year old woman that lives down the street from me that drives a first gen Ford Festiva (this thing must be 25 years old) and she has zero desire to buy anything else. It looks in good shape, but really, how many people do you know that would say the same thing? There is a reason you don't see them on the roads anymore- because they were piece of shit, unreliable, death traps and even so, there is someone who is a fan.

If honda/Acura actually gave a shit what every owner feels to get an exact reading on customers, they would survey each and every owner on their thoughts and feelings. Clearly Honda /Acura doesn't see that a good use of money and doesn't give a shit otherwise. They let the rest of the automotive industry do that, and even so, they still don't listen.

There is no big mystery as to why people (for the most part) don't love their Acura vehicles. It's as clear and straight forward as possible.
nist7 (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 02:45 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by neil0311
I would peg her as being your average car consumer. She read as many reviews as possible. She test drove a few. Ended up settling on the MDX, thinking she made a smart and good choice.

its not exactly convenient to bring your 4 and 7 year old child for several test drives. It had a third row like she wanted, but it didn't cross her mind that it would take 10 minutes before her kids would be settled and good do go. The turning radius is something easily overlooked- I didn't instantly notice how bad my 3G TL is, nor would it be sufficient enough for me not to buy a car even if I knew that in advance.

Another gripe of hers, and likely the biggest one, is the infotainment system. She HATES it. She thought at first it was cool to adjust everything through the screen. Instead it has turned into a big headache and she wishes the thing death.

honestly, people aren't aware they can get extended test drives. Some dealerships will even fight tooth and nail against it. The 15-20 minute test drive just wasn't sufficient enough for her to see all the short comings of the vehicle. This happens to countless amounts of people.

Last edited by TacoBello; 12-26-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TacoBello
You're taking the results much too literally. It's working as intended- a snapshot of ownership feelings. And obviously the snap shot is showing very poor results. There are some like Saintor who love their car to death, as there always will be with any car. There's a 30-35 year old woman that lives down the street from me that drives a first gen Ford Festiva (this thing must be 25 years old) and she has zero desire to buy anything else. It looks in good shape, but really, how many people do you know that would say the same thing? There is a reason you don't see them on the roads anymore- because they were piece of shit, unreliable, death traps and even so, there is someone who is a fan.

If honda/Acura actually gave a shit what every owner feels to get an exact reading on customers, they would survey each and every owner on their thoughts and feelings. Clearly Honda /Acura doesn't see that a good use of money and doesn't give a shit otherwise. They let the rest of the automotive industry do that, and even so, they still don't listen.

There is no big mystery as to why people (for the most part) don't love their Acura vehicles. It's as clear and straight forward as possible.
Fair points Taco and I've already replied similarly to BEAR-AvHistory as well. Not an apologist but certainly a critique of CR. Though of course all other brands are being surveyed in the same manner.

I do wonder if automakers do their own internal surveys like CR. Guess not Honda/Acura but would be interesting to know.

A great example for people who love their cars no matter what is Tesla.

Tesla is at the bottom of reliability (not to mention abysmal interior for a 100k car):

But it is #1 car that is most satisfying to owners: (for very obvious reasons)