Carwash Work Around?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:48 AM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
Carwash Work Around?

I was discussing the car wash mode issue with my dealer, and he told me you can buy a seat belt buckle to pop in when you leave the car as a fix. I'm going to try this!

acura tlx seat belt | eBay
The following 2 users liked this post by narnia:
jchoi5 (05-11-2015), phil30 (05-06-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 06:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Hmm, I guess that could be handy. Let us know
Old 04-20-2015, 11:31 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just had a not so pleasant experience at an automated car wash that pulls the car through while you sit inside. Put the car in neutral and as soon as the wheels began to roll the parking brake applied and car put itself in Park.

I did not realize that you needed to have your seat belt on to go through the wash. Almost gave me a heart attack. The attendant stopped the wash and I was able to put it in neutral again with seat belt on.
The following users liked this post:
invalidsearch (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
Yup just leave it buckled. Piece of cake.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:36 AM
Ero
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Or just use the car wash mode? But it's misleading, because it flashes "SHIFT TO PARK" on the display. I assumed it knew I wanted car wash mode so i shifted to park as it instructed....Apparently as it turns out you're not actually supposed to ship to park -_-.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:35 PM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by narnia
I was discussing the car wash mode issue with my dealer, and he told me you can buy a seat belt buckle to pop in when you leave the car as a fix. I'm going to try this!

If you leave the vehicle, opening the door will put it in park, hence the car wash mode for unattended washes. Otherwise, keep your seat-belt fastened if you remain with the vehicle.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:19 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
It does suck a bit having to remember to put it in car wash mode, but the modern safety features are a necessary evil i guess. I had a bad experience once with a car wash that had rails to guide the car. They got the car too close to the rails on the passenger side and it messed up both wheels on that side. I didn't see them for several days, and of course, no possible chance for getting them to own up to it. I only use car washes that have no rails and I'm not a huge fan of the washes that aren't touchless.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Maybe this is just a TLX thing I am not understanding... I wash my own car as I am not looking to some lame carwash to damage my car on accident.
The following 2 users liked this post by usdmJON:
HattoriHonda (04-20-2015), Hoosier_TLX (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Maybe this is just a TLX thing I am not understanding... I wash my own car as I am not looking to some lame carwash to damage my car on accident.
I will use the self serve spray type of car wash to get the quick removal of road grime, but I normally don't use car washes either. I'm more paranoid of getting fine scratches or worse. I don't have the same desire to do the wash myself as I used to but I still prefer to wash my car.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Live where it gets below zero and you will be going to car washes and not washing the car yourself if you want your car clean
The following 3 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
cjTL (05-07-2015), phil30 (04-29-2015), usdmJON (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoosier_TLX
It does suck a bit having to remember to put it in car wash mode, but the modern safety features are a necessary evil i guess.
No worse than having to remember to latch your seatbelt before driving off.

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
Live where it gets below zero and you will be going to car washes and not washing the car yourself if you want your car clean
Unless you have underground parking, then waterless products do the job for light soiling.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:18 PM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by tjwgrr
If you leave the vehicle, opening the door will put it in park, hence the car wash mode for unattended washes. Otherwise, keep your seat-belt fastened if you remain with the vehicle.
I have to put my car in park, get out of my car, and hand it over to an attendant. He drives it onto the track, puts it in neutral, and exits the car.

Before I get out of my car, can't I clip the seat belt buckle in so the car stays in neutral when the attendant exits?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
Glad I got the I4. :evil grin:
Old 04-20-2015, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by tlxsteve
Glad I got the I4. :evil grin:
indeed.. i never tought that the pushbutton shifter would be so complicated.. not just car wash mode either.. There are some cool things that the system does too.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry

Unless you have underground parking, then waterless products do the job for light soiling.
And if you have caked on salt, grime and snow

invalidsearch (04-21-2015)
Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 PM
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 111 Posts
I have to put my car in park, get out of my car, and hand it over to an attendant. He drives it onto the track, puts it in neutral, and exits the car.

Before I get out of my car, can't I clip the seat belt buckle in so the car stays in neutral when the attendant exits?
Yup, works perfectly.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:21 PM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by 9SpeedTran
Yup, works perfectly.
Great, I just ordered a seat belt clip!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
And if you have caked on salt, grime and snow
First try to avoid those conditions, but then a quick visit to a self wash to power wash it off and then back home, let it dry then waterless clean. Avoid the rails of pull through car washes and no need for Neutral gear challenged.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So just to be sure I've got this right:

1. If you stay in the car during the carwash, put the car in neutral, leave the engine on, but be sure to keep your seatbelt buckled to avoid MiaQbn23's situation. I'm assuming if you stay in the car, but put it in neutral and then put it in accessory mode, you don't have to worry about the seatbelt.

2. If you have to park and get out before the car enters the carwash tracks, the engine has to stay on so that the attendant can drive it onto the tracks.

3. If you are allowed to drive it onto the tracks, but have to get out before the carwash begins, you need to put it in neutral and hit the ignition button once to put the car in accessory mode. The seatbelt should not need to be fastened in this case.

4. Depending on the situation, you need to do one or more of the following:

--make sure the car wash guy understands what to do, or
--buckle your seatbelt before exiting your car, or
--buy a seatbelt clip (from the dealer?) to insert after you unbuckle and before exiting

Am I missing anything? I know that automated carwashes are not optimal, but sometimes it's the only choice, especially in cold climates with lots of road salt and weeks of temperatures below freezing.

Please set me straight if I've misunderstood anything (not about the error of my ways in using carwashes in the first place, but in my admittedly obsessively detailed plan of action).
Old 04-29-2015, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by phil30
So just to be sure I've got this right:

1. If you stay in the car during the carwash, put the car in neutral, leave the engine on, but be sure to keep your seatbelt buckled to avoid MiaQbn23's situation. I'm assuming if you stay in the car, but put it in neutral and then put it in accessory mode, you don't have to worry about the seatbelt.

2. If you have to park and get out before the car enters the carwash tracks, the engine has to stay on so that the attendant can drive it onto the tracks.

3. If you are allowed to drive it onto the tracks, but have to get out before the carwash begins, you need to put it in neutral and hit the ignition button once to put the car in accessory mode. The seatbelt should not need to be fastened in this case.

4. Depending on the situation, you need to do one or more of the following:

--make sure the car wash guy understands what to do, or
--buckle your seatbelt before exiting your car, or
--buy a seatbelt clip (from the dealer?) to insert after you unbuckle and before exiting

Am I missing anything? I know that automated carwashes are not optimal, but sometimes it's the only choice, especially in cold climates with lots of road salt and weeks of temperatures below freezing.

Please set me straight if I've misunderstood anything (not about the error of my ways in using carwashes in the first place, but in my admittedly obsessively detailed plan of action).
That seems so complex just to go through a car wash. My head is starting to hurt.
The following 2 users liked this post by a35tl:
BlueAquarian (09-03-2015), tlxsteve (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by a32tl
That seems so complex just to go through a car wash. My head is starting to hurt.
LOL I agree but I'd rather hurt my head than my car.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

Thank you for this! Mine arrived yesterday and it looks like it should be the perfect solution.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:55 PM
Team SSM Queen

Thank you for this! Mine arrived yesterday and it looks like it should be the perfect solution.
I was just going to follow up on my post. I tried the seat belt clip last week and it worked perfectly.

Just note - when you want to remove the clip, press the red release button on the original seat belt, not the one on the clip. I was pressing the button on the clip and when it wouldn't come out I thought I broke my seat belt!
phil30 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-06-2015, 12:58 PM
Intermediate

I was just going to follow up on my post. I tried the seat belt clip last week and it worked perfectly.

Just note - when you want to remove the clip, press the red release button on the original seat belt, not the one on the clip. I was pressing the button on the clip and when it wouldn't come out I thought I broke my seat belt!
Duly noted, and that's probably what I would have done, too, so thanks for the heads-up. Now I almost wish my car were dirty enough to justify a carwash so I could try it out lol. ;-)
Old 05-07-2015, 01:51 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its the same as just buckling the belt and sit on top of it. You don't need the belt extender.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:23 PM
Team SSM Queen

Originally Posted by mikol77
Its the same as just buckling the belt and sit on top of it. You don't need the belt extender.
After I get out of the car, the attendant gets in to drive the car onto the track. I didn't want to take a chance of him undoing the belt.
Old 05-08-2015, 05:08 AM
Intermediate

After I get out of the car, the attendant gets in to drive the car onto the track. I didn't want to take a chance of him undoing the belt.
That's the same way it works at the place I go, and in addition to the guy who drives it onto the track, there's another one who drives it off the track and a couple more who are in and out of the car finishing the cleaning after it's off the track. The clip is easier and requires no special instructions.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts
This is huge. Thank you OP.
Old 05-08-2015, 10:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
So............Please set me straight if I've misunderstood anything (not about the error of my ways in using carwashes in the first place, but in my admittedly obsessively detailed plan of action).
Wow, that is needlessly complex.

What you really just need to understand is that if you are unbuckled, and open your driver's door, the car will shift to park. If you are buckled, it will stay in drive.

Keeping that in mind at a carwash, once you hand the car off to an attendant, all they would need to do is put the car in car wash mode.
1. Put the car in neutral
2. Turn car off my hitting the start/stop button

Or you can use one of these buckles, or just buckle the OEM seatbelt after getting out of the car, and they can just put the car in neutral, where it will stay.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 05-08-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:33 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr Hyde

Wow, that is needlessly complex.

What you really just need to understand is that if you are unbuckled, and open your driver's door, the car will shift to park. If you are buckled, it will stay in drive.

Keeping that in mind at a carwash, once you hand the car off to an attendant, all they would need to do is put the car in car wash mode.
1. Put the car in neutral
2. Turn car off my hitting the start/stop button

Or you can use one of these buckles, or just buckle the OEM seatbelt after getting out of the car, and they can just put the car in neutral, where it will stay.
I think that's pretty much what I said, but thanks for confirming it in a less complex way.

Since someone posted earlier in this thread about his experience having his car go into park while it was on the track, I don't think it's unreasonable for drivers to find workarounds that completely avoid this.

The other problem with car wash mode is that at my carwash, the attendant has to drive the car onto the track. So I have to leave the engine on with the car in park when I get out, he drives it onto the track, then he would need to put it in car wash mode. The attendant at the other end drives it off the track, meaning he needs to turn the car back on. I could explain all this to the guys working there, but it's easier for me to just use the clip, which cost about $7 and requires no special explanations to anyone.

So no one way is best, it just depends on what you prefer.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:12 AM
Team SSM Queen

As phil30 said, car washes often involve more than one attendant. Many of these workers don't speak English here in NYC, so I don't want to take a chance on a miscommunication in explaining the car wash procedure.

It's annoying to lean on a buckled seat belt, so if you just buckle your seat belt when you leave the car it's possible one of the attendants will unbuckle it. Therefore I feel the belt buckle clip is the way to go for those of us who have to use a car wash with attendants. This $7 clip can save your $40K+ car's transmission.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:03 AM
Intermediate

As phil30 said, car washes often involve more than one attendant. Many of these workers don't speak English here in NYC, so I don't want to take a chance on a miscommunication in explaining the car wash procedure.

It's annoying to lean on a buckled seat belt, so if you just buckle your seat belt when you leave the car it's possible one of the attendants will unbuckle it.
Those are exactly the kind of situations we will avoid with the clip. Other people have figured out other ways that work for them, but for me, the clip is the best solution. I never would have known about it if I hadn't read about it here, so thanks again for your original post, Narnia.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just ordered the seatbelt clip too. Thanks OP.

You don't have the option to sit inside your car at my local car wash. (they make you get out).

They did not know wtf they were doing. I asked them many times if they knew about the electronic gear shifters and they just said ok, ok. I saw them put the car in neutral, then open the door. Of course the car went into park.

I was afraid the rails messed up my parking pawl. The rails tried to push the car.

Eventually, one of the attendees had to sit in the car with the car in neutral.