Can this deal get much better?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 02:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can this deal get much better?

Been following your discussions and thinking about joining the club tomorrow. Having trouble reviewing/researching any deals so your feedback on what I've negotiated below would be appreciated.

2015 TLX advance SH - AWD w/
Side moldings
Door edge film
All season mats
Cargo hook
$39,600 plus tax and fee's - seems like a 14% discount.

Plus their stepping up on my trade.

No brainier? Thanks!!!
Old 08-27-2015, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 26 Posts
Test drive, then go for a test drive, and then the next day... test drive it again.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:24 PM
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by ATXTLX
Test drive, then go for a test drive, and then the next day... test drive it again.

Cant disagree !!! Make sure you drive the car for a good 15 miles or so in bumper to bumper traffic. focus on the gear changes
Old 08-27-2015, 05:36 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
this deal is similar to what I've seen so far, although I don't know if those extra accessories were included.

Having read hundreds of posts about the transmission issues so far, I don't see how test driving for another 15 miles is going to change anything. If it's a true issue it likely won't pop up in those 15 miles anyway.

With that said, I am not convinced the issue is the catastrophic defect many have said it is. Some of the issues come down to people who just don't like/aren't used to a 9 speed transmission. Beside that, I am not sure.

I have test driven 6 different TLXs so far. In every case, I do notice that the car is different to drive (both in city and merging on to freeways) than 6 speed or other vehicles. But I don't see it as a big defect--it's just different. With that said, the AWD feels the best to me, especially in sport mode.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:32 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iesu3423
this deal is similar to what I've seen so far, although I don't know if those extra accessories were included.

Having read hundreds of posts about the transmission issues so far, I don't see how test driving for another 15 miles is going to change anything. If it's a true issue it likely won't pop up in those 15 miles anyway.

With that said, I am not convinced the issue is the catastrophic defect many have said it is. Some of the issues come down to people who just don't like/aren't used to a 9 speed transmission. Beside that, I am not sure.

I have test driven 6 different TLXs so far. In every case, I do notice that the car is different to drive (both in city and merging on to freeways) than 6 speed or other vehicles. But I don't see it as a big defect--it's just different. With that said, the AWD feels the best to me, especially in sport mode.
You definitely haven't driven a defective one then, the 2-3 shift issue is no joke. Calling it a "hard shift" doesn't aptly describe it. It feels like the car brakes for half a second before it finally shifts harshly. I've driven 3 other V6 TLX's that did not exhibit the behavior that mine does. So I would echo the others' advice, test drive the crap out of that car before you buy.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:37 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
As far as the deal....when we were in the market (3 months ago) I was given a $42,500 quote right off the bat for a V6 SH-AWD. No extra accessories, but at that point it was already ~700 under invoice and I didnt even "try". 3 months later and with the stock levels they still seem to have, I would expect the 3K drop in price over my deal and might even try to get a little more (maybe offer 39K).

The accessories are nice, but arent overly expensive, so it might just be the dealer making it look like they are helping you out.

As far as pre-purchase testing, ask nicely to borrow one for a day and drive it along your normal routine.

Our Acura dealer didnt have much problem giving me one as long as it was on the weekend (since they are closed Sunday). After a couple days of driving it we got a feel for what we did and didnt like about it.

The 10 minute test drive with the salesman in the back seat was basically useless, I always highly recommend getting a loaner as similar to the car as you want to buy. $40K is no joke, they shouldnt have a problem letting you vet your decision using more than just a 10 minute drive.

Last edited by chris03tl; 08-28-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:31 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yehaman
Been following your discussions and thinking about joining the club tomorrow. Having trouble reviewing/researching any deals so your feedback on what I've negotiated below would be appreciated.

2015 TLX advance SH - AWD w/
Side moldings
Door edge film
All season mats
Cargo hook
$39,600 plus tax and fee's - seems like a 14% discount.

Plus their stepping up on my trade.

No brainier? Thanks!!!
That's a $45k car plus the accessories. Not a bad deal at all in my book. If they are reasonable on your trade, then you just need to decide if you want the TLX or not. Pricing seems fine.

The only thing is the longer you wait, the cheaper it will be. haha Next week is September. I'm sure pricing will be even less then. (as long as they still have a combo of options/colors you like in stock still)
Old 08-28-2015, 01:08 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for everyones replies. They actually have 17 in stock and a few in the colors that we liked. We actually decided to pass since the rear seat seems smaller than I originally thought (have a child in a car seat) and hopefully will have another one on the way. Looked at an SHAWD RLX which would be perfect, but a little out of my comfort zone....wife is driving an MDX Tech and I am going back to the drawing board. Enjoy your TLX's, it's a super nice car just wish the back seat was a little bigger.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Racer

Thanks for everyones replies. They actually have 17 in stock and a few in the colors that we liked. We actually decided to pass since the rear seat seems smaller than I originally thought (have a child in a car seat) and hopefully will have another one on the way. Looked at an SHAWD RLX which would be perfect, but a little out of my comfort zone....wife is driving an MDX Tech and I am going back to the drawing board. Enjoy your TLX's, it's a super nice car just wish the back seat was a little bigger.
If you like the RLX (aside from the price!) maybe check out the Lexus ES. TONS of rear leg room, albeit less sporty than the TLX. No AWD option, though.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:26 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by chris03tl
If you like the RLX (aside from the price!) maybe check out the Lexus ES. TONS of rear leg room, albeit less sporty than the TLX. No AWD option, though.

Thanks, my folks both drive ES's...very boring car IMHO...nice car that does not particularly excel at anything very well.

Right now my current car is fine, front wheel drive and has no issues. Was looking to get back into an AWD since I live in the Northeast. My wifes MDX is very impressive, a joy to drive, and seems bulletproof even though she doesn't put that many miles on it (2013 Tech with 16K on it). I have always had Audi's and 4runner's in the past..was just looking for a nice sporty reliable tech featured AWD sedan to sport around in....maybe I'll look at a gently used CPO A6...not sure.

You all have a great forum here, and Acura sure does make some nice automobiles.
Old 08-28-2015, 01:54 PM
Racer

Thanks, my folks both drive ES's...very boring car IMHO...nice car that does not particularly excel at anything very well.

Right now my current car is fine, front wheel drive and has no issues. Was looking to get back into an AWD since I live in the Northeast. My wifes MDX is very impressive, a joy to drive, and seems bulletproof even though she doesn't put that many miles on it (2013 Tech with 16K on it). I have always had Audi's and 4runner's in the past..was just looking for a nice sporty reliable tech featured AWD sedan to sport around in....maybe I'll look at a gently used CPO A6...not sure.

You all have a great forum here, and Acura sure does make some nice automobiles.
No problem. Our goal with the new car wasnt really "flashy", so while the TLX was nice, we were more after a comfortable ride and not sportiness.

We did test the MDX as well and loved it...but couldnt justify carrying around such a big vehicle while not using 90% of its capacity most of the time. I also questioned the durability/reliability of the 9AT (mostly because of the experiences on this forum along with my own test drive of the TLX w/9AT)

You could check out the Lexus GS as well, you can get it in AWD, with lots of tech and it should be plenty roomy....priced somewhere between the TLX and RLX/MDX.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Cruisin'

No problem. Our goal with the new car wasnt really "flashy", so while the TLX was nice, we were more after a comfortable ride and not sportiness.

We did test the MDX as well and loved it...but couldnt justify carrying around such a big vehicle while not using 90% of its capacity most of the time. I also questioned the durability/reliability of the 9AT (mostly because of the experiences on this forum along with my own test drive of the TLX w/9AT)

You could check out the Lexus GS as well, you can get it in AWD, with lots of tech and it should be plenty roomy....priced somewhere between the TLX and RLX/MDX.
Did mean to insult you regarding the ES, it's just my folks keep leasing new ones every three years.....and they've been doing it for a long time .

You might be onto something GS350 AWD F type.....got to start researching
Old 08-28-2015, 02:05 PM
Racer

Did mean to insult you regarding the ES, it's just my folks keep leasing new ones every three years.....and they've been doing it for a long time .

You might be onto something GS350 AWD F type.....got to start researching
Hehe no insult taken. People want different things from their cars, no big deal.

I personally have a G37 because I want sportiness and handling and power. My wife couldnt care less about any of those.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I posted earlier on this fourm about less rear leg room compared to other cars with similar length/wheelbase. Even ILX with 4 inch less length/wheelbase has similar rear leg room. I think if they want to sell TLX as regular family sedan, they need to take care of rear leg room in MMC. My wife has odyssey to haul family but we occasionally drive in my accord with 2 people in rear. I would not take 2 adults in tlx backseat for long distance.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:40 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by alpha0
I posted earlier on this fourm about less rear leg room compared to other cars with similar length/wheelbase. Even ILX with 4 inch less length/wheelbase has similar rear leg room. I think if they want to sell TLX as regular family sedan, they need to take care of rear leg room in MMC. My wife has odyssey to haul family but we occasionally drive in my accord with 2 people in rear. I would not take 2 adults in tlx backseat for long distance.
Is leg room something they can really change during an MMC?

Seems like it would require a design change for the body, wheelbase, etc.

Or maybe they just make a rear seat bottom that doesnt stick out as far?
Old 08-28-2015, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Is leg room something they can really change during an MMC?

Seems like it would require a design change for the body, wheelbase, etc.

Or maybe they just make a rear seat bottom that doesnt stick out as far?
My guess - if they can change slope of roof, rear seats can be moved back to increase leg room.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:12 PM
Cruisin'

Great car, just was in denial about the actual lack of room in the backseat...especially if you have young kid(s) and car seat(s). Otherwise, the SHAWD Advance is a strong value proposition.

Wanted to love it, and wanted to bring it home....

Three days left in the month, hoping that he'll call me before the end of Monday and accept my ridiculous offer I made on a SHAWD Hybrid RLX (new 2014) they had sitting in the showroom. They were at 10% off when I left earlier.... would need them to come down more..
I played the "it's already 2 years old :-)"....LOL