Benefits of AWD vs more moving parts/lower MPG etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Benefits of AWD vs more moving parts/lower MPG etc.

I am currently driving around in a 2010 TL with FWD which is great in the snow with traction control. As I consider a 2016 or 2017 TLX to replace it, I really can't find good reasons why I would want the extra expense and potential expense down the road (repairs) on an AWD TLX. If the TLX is as good as the TL in the winter, what are some compelling arguments owners would make for or against the AWD option? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
The best or nothing
The following users liked this post:
HattoriHonda (08-22-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 12:33 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
Where are you from? It all depends on your needs and then some. It's all about your lifestyle. I, for example, live in Edmonton, Alberta. We have harsh winters here. I love going to the mountains all year round (snowboarding, hiking, etc.) and I also appreciate spirited driving once in a while. I have had a 3G TL and a 2nd Gen RDX prior to my awd - TLX. The 3G TL was good in winter granted I've used premium winter tires. The RDX was also good, I've driven through winter storms and it did the job with a set of all-weather tires. I've had my TLX for 8 months now and it's the best drivetrain I've had so far. You don't even need winter tires with it, I can only imagine if I put premium tires with it. Again, it all depends on your lifestyle. I think for me it was worth it because I appreciate the benefits of SH-AWD.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by darksky
I am currently driving around in a 2010 TL with FWD which is great in the snow with traction control. As I consider a 2016 or 2017 TLX to replace it, I really can't find good reasons why I would want the extra expense and potential expense down the road (repairs) on an AWD TLX. If the TLX is as good as the TL in the winter, what are some compelling arguments owners would make for or against the AWD option? Thanks.
Totally with you. Unless you are in hills with winters, AWD is a dead weight, useless in 99% of the situation and for the rest, common sense will do.

On another side, AWD systems improved. For example, my Acura oversteers easily. My last AWD, an Audi Quattro understeered like a FWD. I prefer rear bias, as I had so much fun with my 2 RWD BMWs. They were fun in winters. With good winter tires, no issue to get around in the King of Snow.

Among costs of the SH-AWD system, differential oil replacement every 1-2 years. At dealer, $150+. yuk.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by edmua6
Where are you from? It all depends on your needs and then some. It's all about your lifestyle. I, for example, live in Edmonton, Alberta. We have harsh winters here. I love going to the mountains all year round (snowboarding, hiking, etc.) and I also appreciate spirited driving once in a while. I have had a 3G TL and a 2nd Gen RDX prior to my awd - TLX. The 3G TL was good in winter granted I've used premium winter tires. The RDX was also good, I've driven through winter storms and it did the job with a set of all-weather tires. I've had my TLX for 8 months now and it's the best drivetrain I've had so far. You don't even need winter tires with it, I can only imagine if I put premium tires with it. Again, it all depends on your lifestyle. I think for me it was worth it because I appreciate the benefits of SH-AWD.
Hey I'm from Edmonton too, Nice too meet you.

OP,

SH-AWD isn't like a standard awd system. It is not reactive, it is proactive. What that means is it has the ability to send the power where it is needed before you really need it. Some other AWD systems which are called "slip and grip" only function when the front or rear wheels slip first sending small amounts of power to the rear or front wheels for short amounts of time.

So with that being said. If you like to drive sporty, get SH-AWD, if you have bad winters or a bad rain season, get SH-AWD. If you don't care for either, SH-AWD is going to be extra weight for you. We all know a good set of winter tires on fwd or rwd beats AWD on bad tires any day of the week.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:37 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Hey I'm from Edmonton too, Nice too meet you.

OP,

SH-AWD isn't like a standard awd system. It is not reactive, it is proactive. What that means is it has the ability to send the power where it is needed before you really need it. Some other AWD systems which are called "slip and grip" only function when the front or rear wheels slip first sending small amounts of power to the rear or front wheels for short amounts of time.

So with that being said. If you like to drive sporty, get SH-AWD, if you have bad winters or a bad rain season, get SH-AWD. If you don't care for either, SH-AWD is going to be extra weight for you. We all know a good set of winter tires on fwd or rwd beats AWD on bad tires any day of the week.
I'm also from Edmonton.

SH-AWD is good in the dry (by far the best drivetrain layout I've ever had, and I've owned both FWD and RWD vehicles). It's also very good in the snow. When it's cold out, it sends power back to the rears with ANY acceleration, it doesn't need wheel slip. Every start off the line is 66%/44% F/R. In the winter it's stupidly good with winter tires. I've never driven a sedan that handles winter better than my TLX SH-AWD. Plus having heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, and heated wiper areas on the glass up front helps immensely with comfort and being able to drive away sooner.

And the fuel economy hit isn't that bad. I'm exceeding the rated numbers every city and highway trip I do (well almost every, some city trips I'm much more aggressive on the gas). I drive permanently in at least Sport mode (although sometimes Sport+). Your fuel economy will suck until you hit about 2,000 km, then it's starting to be broken in, and after that, it improves until about 10,000-12,000 km and stays good after that. I get about 6.3 L/100km on the highway and about 9.8 L/100km in the city on average.

I would say the Acura SH-AWD system isn't THAT big of a fuel penalty, probably less than 10%, maybe even 5%. For the benefits (MUCH improved handling as long as you're on the gas even lightly, and superior traction in inclement weather), it's worth it in my opinion. Of course in Canada, they don't even give us the option of the FWD V6, lol. If you want FWD, you have to get the I4. V6's up here are SH-AWD only.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Doesn't the diff fluid in the SH-AWD model need to be replaced every 10-12k miles? I thought I had read that somewhere...
Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
This is personal preference. I live in Atlanta and insist on AWD, it has some benefits in dry, but as stated is also proactive and in wet I prefer to have all 4 wheels in control. In heavy rain nothing like having all 4 wheels driving and with SH-AWD moving power around makes for sure driving in all conditions.
The AWD TLX is really efficient and I can get over 30 MPG on highway no problem, my average around town is 22.3 using real calculations, better than any car I have owned in over 15 years.
The following users liked this post:
5 Acuras (08-21-2016)
Old 08-21-2016, 10:16 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
I love SH-AWD when I'm making corners at higher speeds. That being said, I only saw 31 mpg hwy (others have gotten better??) in the AWD TLX loaner I had for a month. My FWD TLX V6 is the most nimble front wheel drive car I have ever driven, I'm guessing it's because of the P-AWS system. I average 36mpg on the hwy, recently took a 4hr road trip and I averaged 38mpg, just level terrain it wasn't downhill at all. Dealer didn't have the color combo TLX I wanted with SH-AWD, just the FWD model and I'm glad I went with it because it saved me a couple thousand off the bat and a little on gas. Test drive both and see how you like them, coming from a FWD TL I think you'd be happy with a P-AWS TLX. Really comes down to how much you value SH-AWD, good luck.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
I'm also from Edmonton.

SH-AWD is good in the dry (by far the best drivetrain layout I've ever had, and I've owned both FWD and RWD vehicles). It's also very good in the snow. When it's cold out, it sends power back to the rears with ANY acceleration, it doesn't need wheel slip. Every start off the line is 66%/44% F/R. In the winter it's stupidly good with winter tires. I've never driven a sedan that handles winter better than my TLX SH-AWD. Plus having heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, and heated wiper areas on the glass up front helps immensely with comfort and being able to drive away sooner.

And the fuel economy hit isn't that bad. I'm exceeding the rated numbers every city and highway trip I do (well almost every, some city trips I'm much more aggressive on the gas). I drive permanently in at least Sport mode (although sometimes Sport+). Your fuel economy will suck until you hit about 2,000 km, then it's starting to be broken in, and after that, it improves until about 10,000-12,000 km and stays good after that. I get about 6.3 L/100km on the highway and about 9.8 L/100km in the city on average.

I would say the Acura SH-AWD system isn't THAT big of a fuel penalty, probably less than 10%, maybe even 5%. For the benefits (MUCH improved handling as long as you're on the gas even lightly, and superior traction in inclement weather), it's worth it in my opinion. Of course in Canada, they don't even give us the option of the FWD V6, lol. If you want FWD, you have to get the I4. V6's up here are SH-AWD only.
Hey man how are you! Where have you been the last little while?

It is not an overstatement to say that SH-AWD completely transforms the way Acura's vehicles drive. Last winter my RDX with Michelin X-Ice 2 tires and SH-AWD was AMAZING. NOTHING phazed it. Nothing upset it. It would drive on pure ice like nothing.

The dry road handling was extremely impressive and composed. Like I said in the initial post, it is for both sport and bad weather. Some people don't care or have to deal with either so it is up to OP's discretion what to do.

So in closing, it is not a useless system but it can be for someone who won't take advantage of it. Only you can decide if you will or will not use it OP.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:01 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Hey man how are you! Where have you been the last little while?

Haha, good, I'm moving to Calgary though soon! I won't derail the OP's thread, so I'll mention that I also had Michelin X-ice xi3's on my SH-AWD TLX in the winter, and that thing was totally confidence inspiring in every situation. SH-AWD + good winter tires = AMAZING. Plus I love it for the other 7 months of the year there aren't snow.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:25 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by atl7
I love SH-AWD when I'm making corners at higher speeds. That being said, I only saw 31 mpg hwy (others have gotten better??) in the AWD TLX loaner I had for a month. My FWD TLX V6 is the most nimble front wheel drive car I have ever driven, I'm guessing it's because of the P-AWS system. I average 36mpg on the hwy, recently took a 4hr road trip and I averaged 38mpg, just level terrain it wasn't downhill at all. Dealer didn't have the color combo TLX I wanted with SH-AWD, just the FWD model and I'm glad I went with it because it saved me a couple thousand off the bat and a little on gas. Test drive both and see how you like them, coming from a FWD TL I think you'd be happy with a P-AWS TLX. Really comes down to how much you value SH-AWD, good luck.
On a long trip @ 60mph, I get 38mpg.

Last week-end I did that same 250miles @ 70-75mph, got 34mpg.