Any reliable info on 2016 TLX changes, new models, and ETA?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Not sure if anyone has mentioned but the '16 Accord is getting Apple Carplay and Android auto. :-/... If the TLX doesn't at least get that... That'll be pretty f'd up.
The following 2 users liked this post by randomRon82:
ggesq (07-23-2015), Stew4HD (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82
Not sure if anyone has mentioned but the '16 Accord is getting Apple Carplay and Android auto. :-/... If the TLX doesn't at least get that... That'll be pretty f'd up.
Plus remote start is standard EX trim and higher. HD radio also. Standard 19" wheels on Touring Trims. LED headlights on Touring trims that look like Jewel-Eye. This is a gut punch to the TLX.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/23/2016-honda-accord-refresh-apple-carplay-android-auto-official/
Old 07-23-2015, 08:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam Axe
Plus remote start is standard EX trim and higher. HD radio also. Standard 19" wheels on Touring Trims. LED headlights on Touring trims that look like Jewel-Eye. This is a gut punch to the TLX.

2016 Honda Accord refresh adds Apple CarPlay, Android Auto
might seem like it until you drive the two cars. hell a fully loaded hyundai elantra has a ton of features. features arent the only things that make the car.
The following users liked this post:
JeffS (07-29-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I would be a little bothered if the 16 TLX doesn't get these features..... Pretty stupid if you ask me....
Old 07-24-2015, 07:13 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Wow, very $%^& nice! This looks way better than the previous shots. It was the angle at the track that made it look messed up. The only thing suspect is the chrome strip in the front.

I can no longer justify the purchase of a TLX. I look at the side profile of the accord and see luxury car. Even the GS350 style wood trim looks better than the TLX's stuff. V6, 19's, loaded to the gills for probably a couple thousand more than base TLX. It will probably be tough to find a touring and will require MSRP. So it is a tiny bit noisier and harder riding, so what. The V6 engine destroys the base TLX.

I expect big changes to the '16 TLX. Acura HAS to. This would be a huge failure if the '16 TLX doesn't have exhaust, bigger wheels, the tech updates, and maybe a power bump on I4 to 220HP.

Seriously Acura, try. Your ability to sell sedans depends on it. Honda is trying and succeeding in destroying you. The NSX won't help.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Umm, a loaded GS350 is well north of $50K. Heck, even an IS350 AWD is going to set you back around $50K.

I was getting quotes of $42,500 for a '15 TLX V6 Advance SH-AWD. So, not even close to an IS or GS.

But I do agree with you....the IS/GS and TLX are in 2 different worlds. Fit and finish on the Lexi are top notch, not so much on the TLX I borrowed for a day. No transmission complaints on the Lexus, at least *some* on the TLX. The list can go on.

We actually ended up with a Lexus ES350 for those reasons. The "ancient" drivetrain was one of them high up on the list: V6 and 6AT that have been in use for 10+ years at Toyota/Lexus. Pretty much perfect at this point.

And from what I understand, Honda is sort of like the "testbed" for new features. Once they are perfected they are ported over to Acura. So I wouldnt be surprised to see NONE of the Accord features make it to the TLX for '16. But I would expect some or all of them to show up in the '17. Same goes for the MDX....it might get the Pilots new infotainment stuff, but since the '16 is already out, its going to be in the '17 refresh.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:37 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by chris03tl
Umm, a loaded GS350 is well north of $50K. Heck, even an IS350 AWD is going to set you back around $50K.

I was getting quotes of $42,500 for a '15 TLX V6 Advance SH-AWD. So, not even close to an IS or GS.

But I do agree with you....the IS/GS and TLX are in 2 different worlds. Fit and finish on the Lexi are top notch, not so much on the TLX I borrowed for a day. No transmission complaints on the Lexus, at least *some* on the TLX. The list can go on.

We actually ended up with a Lexus ES350 for those reasons. The "ancient" drivetrain was one of them high up on the list: V6 and 6AT that have been in use for 10+ years at Toyota/Lexus. Pretty much perfect at this point.

And from what I understand, Honda is sort of like the "testbed" for new features. Once they are perfected they are ported over to Acura. So I wouldnt be surprised to see NONE of the Accord features make it to the TLX for '16. But I would expect some or all of them to show up in the '17. Same goes for the MDX....it might get the Pilots new infotainment stuff, but since the '16 is already out, its going to be in the '17 refresh.
Honda is the test bed for new Acura features? Huh? Not sure how you figure that. While the new Accord will have some features not on the TLX (which sucks for Acura) there isn't exactly anything controversial or risky about heated rear seats or Apple Car Play that needs to be thoroughly tested before it gets to Acura. Honda is simply doing what it needs to in order to be competitive and Acura is now behind. That said, I can think of a ton of things that were Acura firsts that are now on Hondas.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:46 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jeich182
Honda is the test bed for new Acura features? Huh? Not sure how you figure that. While the new Accord will have some features not on the TLX (which sucks for Acura) there isn't exactly anything controversial or risky about heated rear seats or Apple Car Play that needs to be thoroughly tested before it gets to Acura. Honda is simply doing what it needs to in order to be competitive and Acura is now behind. That said, I can think of a ton of things that were Acura firsts that are now on Hondas.
I agree with you. Back when I was looking at an Accord coupe (2000 model year, the Acura CL was based on it), it seemed the other way around....the "good stuff" went to Acura first.

But now it seems reversed. Hondas getting CarPlay first, the Pilot has newer/better screens, infotainment, options than the MDX, etc.

It might not be as simple as flashing new s/w into the new TLX....it might require more processing power, etc. Which would come in the form of a new infotainment backend (screens wont change but the behind the scenes stuff will), which means its not just a simple "not thoroughly tested" add-on.

Good example: read around about the Infiniti InTouch system, also based on Android (like the system in the new Pilot). Slow, buggy, etc. Then they upgraded the hardware in the 2nd year of production and it helped a lot. Had they "thoroughly tested" it, they might have been able to avoid the heartache from the people buying the first year of it. The difference being that Nissan doesnt seem to carry that same infotainment setup, so Infiniti has Infiniti to test with and no one else.

I simply think Honda/Acura wants to avoid those experiences with their flagship brand, using the value-oriented brand as a testbed. They are shooting themselves in the foot a little, however, during the year or two that the value-oriented brand has more/better/newer features than the flagship brand. But they will catch up eventually.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts
Acura is where the touch screens showed up first and eliminated most buttons; one of the reasons I can't accept the concept of Honda being a test bed specifically for Acura. SH-AWD? DI V6? 9AT? 8DCT? Backup camera? Cross traffic monitor? Bluetooth? Navigation (going back years)? CMBS? LED headlights (HID before that)? Lane departure warning? I could go on. The whole idea is that your premium brand gets stuff before your regular consumer brand. But again, there's nothing ground-breaking about the particular features the Accord is getting (and that's not to say they aren't really good features that Acura shouldn't already have).
nore03 (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Just was checking out Apple Carplay videos on YouTube. Looks pretty cool, especially if they would let Google Maps be a standard App. I was hoping that it would just display your iPhone screen but I know that they don't want to do that....for safety and $ reasons.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:50 AM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Don't have any reliable info, but a couple of guesses.

I think the 2016 TLX will get tech upgrades to handle CarPlay and Android Auto. Could be wrong, but I just don't see a 2016 Accord getting that w/o the TLX getting it too.

Also wouldn't be surprised if the 2016 TLX got exposed exhaust tips. That seems like a relatively easy change to make, and it would be popular with many buyers in this segment.

The TLX is a success in terms of sales, but still not quite what Acura was hoping for. With a few tweaks, and a if they hold the line on prices, they could nudge sales up from where they are now to maybe 60k a year?

My 2 cents.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:17 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
while the '16 refreshed Accord does pose strong value over TLX, but people are missing one important factor, the powertrain difference. the I4s are similar in both models but Accord's CVT is really a turn-off vs the 8 speed DCT of TLX. same can be said for the V6 comparisions, Accord's 3.5 V6 is NOT a real ED DI motor, it's basically the same 3.5 VCM equipped motor from 8 years ago, and then you have the 6 speed vs 9 speed difference. so TLX is still more car than the refreshed Accord even without those added tech stuff, but i have no doubt those will be standard on the '16 TLX as well.
Macau Park (07-24-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Racer

found some live shots of '16 Accord V6 Touring on the Lexus forum i always visit
-2016 Accord- - Page 3 - Club Lexus Forums
Old 07-24-2015, 10:46 AM
Instructor

I was pointing out the '16 Accord's wood trim in the link above. It is nicer than the TLX and looks like a GS350's.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by kevTL888
while the '16 refreshed Accord does pose strong value over TLX, but people are missing one important factor, the powertrain difference. the I4s are similar in both models but Accord's CVT is really a turn-off vs the 8 speed DCT of TLX. same can be said for the V6 comparisions, Accord's 3.5 V6 is NOT a real ED DI motor, it's basically the same 3.5 VCM equipped motor from 8 years ago, and then you have the 6 speed vs 9 speed difference. so TLX is still more car than the refreshed Accord even without those added tech stuff, but i have no doubt those will be standard on the '16 TLX as well.
Yeah but one could argue the 6-speed auto in the V6 accord, while not as technically advanced, is functionally better than the 9-speed. Also, the V6 Touring will be a little above the I4 base TLX in terms of price and less than an I4 Tech.

You could argue that even Hyundais get tons of tech that could be glitchy but Acura's new features aren't exactly bug free. The FCW and CMBS has been criticized as well as the transmissions.
The following 2 users liked this post by Macau Park:
quantum7 (07-24-2015), TacoBello (07-26-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 11:05 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
on the assembly line now?

Do you think Acura is making the 2016 TLX's as we sit here and read these posts?

Does anyone know when they start or started production on the 2016's? I know the 2016 RLX are already in showrooms but that is a different model..
Old 07-24-2015, 02:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by Sigwill24
Do you think Acura is making the 2016 TLX's as we sit here and read these posts?
Yes I do... and my guess is that it will be an exact carryover from the 2015.. because... Acura.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:05 PM
Racer

Yes I do... and my guess is that it will be an exact carryover from the 2015.. because... Acura.
Well, for MY 2012 Honda introduced an all-new Civic, which, as all of you probably know, was panned by the auto press as "cheap." Just a little more than a year later they'd done a full MMC for the 2013 MY on the Civic, changing all sorts of stuff inside and out, as well as under the skin.

That was a bold move. But it's clear that Honda/Acura has become more nimble—at least sometimes.

The 2015 TLX, in contrast, is a success, and has had good reviews and good sales. But it's been more of a double or triple rather than a home run. I think Acura might get the $ to keep up with the Accord, in part because the R & D has already been done.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Dealers are still stocking 15s I think. I'm betting we will get a dealer on here telling us when the can order a '16 even if they don't tell us/know any more details.

And the current model is a success and selling well. The IS is about to launch new engines, the A4 is about to be all new, the 3 series just got refreshed and the CClass is still brand new and launching variants all the time. So we know they'll have to react to those models.

I'm also wondering if Acura will do anything with the launch of the NSX happening sometime soon. I could see carryover for '16 and a fairly short run with the '17 launching with updates next spring or something. Who knows though.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well you never know. Honda DID do a facelift for the civic after its 2012 release. They did an immediate refresh for 2013. So maybe they will tweak a few things. I hope they upgrade the infotainment system. It looks so outdated compared to other makes. Would love to see an A-Spec package as well.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:25 AM
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The selling price of my 2015 GS350 with an MSRP of almost $58,000 was about $49,000 about 7 months ago. Definitely worth the difference over a loaded TLX.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by Macau Park
Yeah but one could argue the 6-speed auto in the V6 accord, while not as technically advanced, is functionally better than the 9-speed. Also, the V6 Touring will be a little above the I4 base TLX in terms of price and less than an I4 Tech.

You could argue that even Hyundais get tons of tech that could be glitchy but Acura's new features aren't exactly bug free. The FCW and CMBS has been criticized as well as the transmissions.
The Accord is an excellent car, and to Honda's credit, it looks like they have a winner on their hands for 2016. They need to do well, because the Accord has been slipping down the mid-sized food chain. However, bottom line, IMHO, is that the TLX has superior driving dynamics vs the Accord - SH_AWD/PAWS, IDS, more power, more dynamic transmissions, better handling, etc…and more refinement. The main complaints have typically come from a few very vocal folks, some who don't like consulting manuals. I have read or watched probably 3 dozen reviews and almost all are very positive. My own experience, now that The transmission and I have figured each other out, is very positive.

Hey, I was initially a little concerned when I saw that the 2016 ILX (which is also a lot of fun to drive) had the full suite of Acura Watch, as per the Elite/Advanced TLX, but I got over it, realizing that it's the name of the game now in the industry…keep up or wither and die. No doubt Acura will up the tech ante for the TLX, likely starting with Acura Watch for all trims for 2016 and then the Apple Play/Android for 2017. Having said that, I generally don't use my phone to stream music in my vehicle, as i don't want to pay for data. I have 900 songs on my HD and prefer the sound quality in any case. I already have texting - read and voice responses, so that part of Apple play is no big deal. As for navigation, the onboard system meets almost all of my needs, and I use Acura Link for the few items I can't find quickly. Besides, I don't always have my phone with me. Having said all of that, I would love those features, but realistically, would not use them very often. Personally, i will continue to enjoy my TLX and not let angst about keeping up with the Jones (or Honda) ruin my enjoyment.

Rapid technological change is also one of the reasons I lease. Cheers.

Last edited by mapleloaf; 07-25-2015 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
No question the IS/ES are very nice cars and the price reflects that. However, I strongly disagree to some of the hyperbole that appears on this site suggesting that the interior trim is in a different league. There are definitely some refinements, but the TLX trim is a very good quality (again, read impartial reviews) that is not far away from the Lexus. The Milan leather is every bit as good, the interior is very well fitted, and is quite attractive, and the seats are very comfortable. The technology is as good or superior. In INMO, the price differential is not worth it, particularly as I prefer the driving dynamics of the TLX. And besides, IMHO, the front Lexus facia is unsightly and will be old very fast. Reminds me of an aging woman with tight jeans, painted nails, excessive jewellery, dyed hair, and far too much make-up….trying too hard to look young and hip and comes across as looking kinda sad.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mapleloaf
No question the IS/ES are very nice cars and the price reflects that. However, I strongly disagree to some of the hyperbole that appears on this site suggesting that the interior trim is in a different league. There are definitely some refinements, but the TLX trim is a very good quality (again, read impartial reviews) that is not far away from the Lexus. The Milan leather is every bit as good, the interior is very well fitted, and is quite attractive, and the seats are very comfortable. The technology is as good or superior. In INMO, the price differential is not worth it, particularly as I prefer the driving dynamics of the TLX. And besides, IMHO, the front Lexus facia is unsightly and will be old very fast. Reminds me of an aging woman with tight jeans, painted nails, excessive jewellery, dyed hair, and far too much make-up….trying too hard to look young and hip and comes across as looking kinda sad.
I had both for a day (TLX SH-AWD Tech and Lexus ES350). I did see some differences in the interiors, and even with too much hard plastic (IMHO), the ES interior was slightly better in some areas than the TLX, and slightly lesser as well. Mostly a tossup, with maybe a slight advantage to the Lexus because the "cheap" materials felt of better quality than the TLX. But as you said, definitely not enough improvement to justify the higher price (especially when you are losing the "fun" from driving the TLX)

On the flipside, there are things the ES had that the TLX physically cannot: like an extra 5" of rear legroom. It comes down to what you want in the vehicle.....sporty, fun, agile or a luxury cruiser. The TLX is a good mix of both but isnt quite "luxury cruiser" because of the small-ish size (in fact, it seems to match the IS in size).

The TLX is definitely trying to "bat up" a league, by being something that can take on the IS. The only issue I see is that you have proven drivetrains in the IS going up against the fairly unproven 9 speed in the TLX. If Honda/Acura can figure out the quirks with the 9 speed (and a few other things, like perfecting panel fitment), I would venture that it could really do a number against the IS.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:53 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Unfortunately it won't surprise me at all if Acura does not put these on the 2016 TLX. I hope they do. I'd love to be able to use Google Maps instead of the Acura navigation. It is a far superior tool. But I just don't see Acura as a brand that pushes things. I know they are trying to change, but it is a cultural thing. Honda lives in a world of constant battle to compete, Acura almost doesn't care, they seem content, not hungry. Honda has no choice, Acura chooses to be content.

Now if we see more content change in the 2016 TLX then maybe Acura is being successful in it cultural change. If it is a carryover then they still have work to do.
Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Unfortunately it won't surprise me at all if Acura does not put these on the 2016 TLX. I hope they do. I'd love to be able to use Google Maps instead of the Acura navigation. It is a far superior tool. But I just don't see Acura as a brand that pushes things. I know they are trying to change, but it is a cultural thing. Honda lives in a world of constant battle to compete, Acura almost doesn't care, they seem content, not hungry. Honda has no choice, Acura chooses to be content.

Now if we see more content change in the 2016 TLX then maybe Acura is being successful in it cultural change. If it is a carryover then they still have work to do.
Acura is content? The 2016 ILX, RDX, MDX and RLX all got updates or went through their mid cycle change and the TLX is still in its first model year and the NSX about to launch. If Acura does anything to the '16 TLX it would mean Acura's entire lineup received changes and no model just carried over for MY2016. How much more hungry can Acura be?
benjaminh (07-26-2015)
Old 07-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
If they just get off their dumb asses and make an good looking A Spec version with seats that will accommodate people taller than 5'3" and have bolstered with adjustable thigh support I am a buyer. If not Lexus here I come.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
I hope in MMC acura increases rear leg room for TLX. All vehicles of tlx length offer atleast 2inch more rear leg room. May be acura designed it so that RLX can have one additional plus point over TLX.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Racer

'15 model year TLX has been an extra long year, we're already one calendar year into the '15 model and still no info for the '16.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Great point KevTL888. I'm thinking by the end of August we have to hear something.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Sigwill24
Great point KevTL888. I'm thinking by the end of August we have to hear something.

yeah, i mean we saw the TV ad of the '15 TLX way back two Super Bowls ago
Old 07-28-2015, 01:28 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
Acura is content? The 2016 ILX, RDX, MDX and RLX all got updates or went through their mid cycle change and the TLX is still in its first model year and the NSX about to launch. If Acura does anything to the '16 TLX it would mean Acura's entire lineup received changes and no model just carried over for MY2016. How much more hungry can Acura be?
Yes.... all these updated were MMCs. How long did they let the ILX languish? I'm sure for the TLX MMC there will be some nice updates, but that is not going to be next month.

Is it achievable for them to implement something like Car Play and Android Auto in the 2016? Yes. Will they. Probably not. But I hope they surprise me. This is one of those little things Acura could do to get ahead of the curve. Remember when Acura was that brand? Now they mostly play catch up.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocket_man:
jeich182 (07-28-2015), randomRon82 (07-29-2015)
Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If the 2016 gets Play/Auto, could that also be updated on the 2015's (us)?
Old 07-28-2015, 11:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
^^Extremely unlikely.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM
dio
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 24 Posts
I believe the 16 TLX will receive some minor cosmetic touch ups similar to the ones received in the new 16ILX. For example the Multi LED/LightPipe DRL below the 5 Jewel Eyes, LightPipe LED Turn Signal.
Maybe a Rim/Tire change or two. The entry will also receive some of the same features that the ILX receive like AcuraWatch maybe, but not much more.than that IMHO. I think the Apsec model is a reach but I wouldn't rule that out. We shall see.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry
^^Extremely unlikely.
I think '16 TLX with CarPlay/Android Auto is highly unlikely. No way '15 TLX gets either.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by iutodd
I'll be watching the inventory levels as we go on through August.
13,101 today. Down from 14,427 8 selling days ago. Right at 4,000 units a month pace. I'll be interested to see where it is mid-August but it's possible '15 production has slowed/almost stopped - lowest number I've seen in quite a while. Makes sense if October is when the '16s are hitting.
benjaminh (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Acura is on the list on Android Auto's page as "coming soon"

https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/auto/

In reading this thread, I think I am holding off on the 2015 TLX on this feature alone.
benjaminh (07-29-2015)
Old 07-29-2015, 01:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by illinimatt81
Acura is on the list on Android Auto's page as "coming soon"

https://www.android.com/intl/en_us/auto/

In reading this thread, I think I am holding off on the 2015 TLX on this feature alone.
Thanks for this.

I'm guessing the 2016 TLX might have it, esp. since it already has a 7" touchscreen, which is what's needed. Since Honda and Android have already done the R & D and coding, it seems doable.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
On another note, I have read that Lexus/Toyota refuses to put Android/Apple in their cars. Apparently they prefer their own systems. So at least Acura is "ahead" on that game...

Quick Reply: Any reliable info on 2016 TLX changes, new models, and ETA?