Any experience w/ CMBS Collision mitigation braking system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 11:30 AM
lmc
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Any experience w/ CMBS Collision mitigation braking system?

I'm not willing to test the CMDS just to see how it works (joking) but would be interested to hear any real work experiences of the MDX actually breaking (not just flashing the warning).

In theory and in practise, what should we expect from the car? Slowing down the car before impact? Or a full stop?
Old 08-14-2016, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
I have. I was doing i dunno 20-30mph and the car infront of me had the blinker on to turn right. Well, I saw the blinker so just timed it to barely miss the car then slow down completely, pretty casual. The car didnt know the car was turning obviously so it started to brake but the second the car was out of the path is started right back up

ALSO, i was using adaptive cruise control in stop and go traffic in Los Angeles and set it to follow close. Car infront hit brakes hard so my car tugged 3 times on my seat belt like slapping my shoulder warning me to take over and brake, neat stuff
Old 08-14-2016, 10:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I've had all 3 stages go off at least once. It applies the brakes quite strongly in the 3rd stage, but you are still expected to take control and apply the brakes.
Old 08-15-2016, 01:29 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I've had mine go off when someone slammed on their brakes in front of me. I have the Elite package on the TLX so it has the HUD for the FCW as well as the seatbelt e-pretensioners.

The e-pretensioners slap your shoulder HARD with the seatbelt a few times in rapid succession to make sure you're awake while the HUD and MID both flash BRAKE! at you 3 times quickly, and the CMBS starts to brake on its own.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:34 AM
Needs a 930

Received 759 Likes on 547 Posts
I've had it hit the brakes on me when coming up behind a slow driver. The problem is that I'm in the process of getting over to go around said driver and the damn thing ends up braking by the time I'm in the other lane. I turned all that garbage off because it was scary at times.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
The only experiences I've had with it are 2 times it started braking for no reason. Once when there was nothing in front of me, but a guy was trying to exit from a gas station onto the road I was on (but didn't) and the other time while going around a curve on the freeway at around 70 mph and attempting to exit an off-ramp onto another freeway. No idea why it triggered that time. These 2 situations were early on in my ownership. I haven't had it happen in the year or two since I've owned the car.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:23 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I've never had mine go to the braking phase but I've had the visual warning and the seat belt tensioner activate. You have to get pretty 'close' for the system to activate. It is not a distance thing, it is a closing rate thing. It also warns when a car is turning off in front of me but still in my lane, but I have not slowed down knowing it is going to be out of the way in time.

Originally Posted by BeezleTL85
I've had it hit the brakes on me when coming up behind a slow driver. The problem is that I'm in the process of getting over to go around said driver and the damn thing ends up braking by the time I'm in the other lane. I turned all that garbage off because it was scary at times.
You were probably cutting it too close.
Old 08-20-2016, 07:24 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Every time you use your ACC, you are also using the CMBS to slow you down. I have the 1st Gen CMBS in my 11 MDX Adv (don't know if there are/were any improvements since). Like everyone else, I get the occasional brake warning and slight braking action if someone pulls infront of me before I get a chance to slow or change lanes. I also get the false positive from certain overhead signs or overhead roads angled just right (stage 1 BRAKE warning in M.I.D. only, never seat belt or application of brakes).

The only time it went full CMBS was on the hwy at +80 mph following behind a pick-up towing a fishing boat in the fast lane. I was using ACC and had the distance at middle range. We hit a real windy part of the hwy and the unsecured gear in the open boat started to bounce around. A large 3-4 foot wide "something" bounced out the back of boat. I didn't know what it was at first and the debris was bouncing between the passenger side of the car and center lane (turned out to be a half-ass rolled sleeping bag when I pass it). I was about to hit the brakes to give me time to decide left, right, slow down or stop. The CMBS radar also saw the debris and when into full warning, braking, and seat belt pre-tensioner mode before I was able to put my foot on the brake. It stayed in full CMBS, even with my foot hard on the brakes, until I was able to steer around the debris and the radar showed clear.

It never happened; but, the only worry I have about CMBS is the system getting a false positive and going into full braking mode and someone rear ends me (like the overhead sign situation). I can control my interval when following a vehicle; but, I have no control of the car behind me. There are times when I can't even see the driver's headlight in my rear view mirror because they are following so close behind me. I added a front/rear dash cam just CYA.

Acura could be add 360 degree cameras as part as the Acura Watch system. There is already a FCW and back-up cam already. Add two side view cameras and increase the HD size to 100GB-1TB SSD and you are in business.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:51 AM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I've had mine go off a couple times, once while trying to get around a car moving slowly and there was a car slowing down in front of me( I would assume this was probably my fault, I was trying to get to an exit that was coming up). The car jerked the brakes pretty hard. On 2 different occasions where MID flashed steering required even though I was holding the steering wheel but not really moving it(I assume this is RDM working). I was coming off an exit that had a slight turn and I guess the car didn't think I was paying attention so it automatically applied the brakes for me. It wasn't very hard cause it freaked me out and I hit the gas and turned the steering wheel. My settings are set to long so that all those things are always working. I don't mind it working to protect me.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I've experienced it on my RLX Sport Hybrid. It works just fine and I use the full system (ACC/CMBS/LKAS) every time I drive the car in rush-hour traffic. The car flashes a message in my HUD, then the car starts braking automatically, as hard as it needs to. If a car cuts in front of me, the system notices and brakes automatically. The system is quite trustworthy, though I always still am ready to act when needed.