Advice on buying a TLX

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 12:32 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on buying a TLX

Hi. I am looking to purchase a new car so looking for some guidance. Currently have a 2005 Acura RL with 200K+ miles and time for a new car. I'm looking at the TLX and would love to get some input from current owners, especially long time TL/TLX owners. I like to buy my cars and drive them until they die so looking for good reliability.

Curious about FWD handling in bad weather (I have AWD in my RL) since weather here in DC is not bad so wondering if I should bother paying for AWD. Also curious about long term issues/repairs, especially electrical since had a handful in my RL which we quite costly. All input is appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-11-2016, 01:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 157 Likes on 118 Posts
I drove my Uncles 2005 RL for about 6 months and it was a game changer for me. I LOVED IT. The sh-awd system was amazing and for that SOLE reason is why I got the sh-awd package for my TLX. Living in southern california there is NO reason why I NEED all wheel drive but after owning the RL for the short time span I really wanted that system again. I know being such a high tech car for the time the 2nd gen RL had its electrical problems (I had a couple in the short time I owned mine) so it might be safe to say the TLX might eventually develop its quirks of its own. Some things youll notice is the seat comfort and overall ride is a lot more luxurious in your RL while the TLX is still very nice but gives a more luxury sport drive compared to the RLs more luxury experience. Overall with 200K I think youll appreciate the upgrade. My other vehicle is a 99 4runner with 265K and still looks and drives like brand new, but thats a 4runner. Good luck on your decision!
Old 01-11-2016, 09:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
FWD with winter tires will be fine. SH-AWD with winter tires is the ultimate, and may be adequate with all season tires.

But there are other factors to consider.

1. You can only get FWD with the I4, and the SH-AWD with the V6 (this is new for 2016)
2. The V6 has the auto stop/start that many people dislike. It can be turned off every time you start the car, but the default is on.
3. The V6 has a timing belt that will have to be replaced around 60-100K miles. Cost is at least $1,000.
4. You can only get the Advance trim with all the nanny electronics on the V6.

There are a lot of electronics in modern vehicles and it is too soon to say how well they will last, but Acura does have a positive history on reliability.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by Quandry

1. You can only get FWD with the I4, and the SH-AWD with the V6 (this is new for 2016)

In the States, FWD is still available with the V6. I believe that Canadian models with V6s are all SH-AWD.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:26 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I've got the i4 FWD with stock all-season tires and live in NE Ohio (very similar Winters to you) - I thought the TLX did okay last Winter. The tires are adequate in the snow.

It's my understanding you don't really get the AWD for bad weather but rather for the increased handling (Super Handling!!) capabilities. By default AWD will give you some increased traction upon take-off in snow but real snow tires are the answer for you if that's your primary concern. It's my understanding that snow tires will help you to corner and stop much better than having AWD with all-season will.

The FWD is also lighter and will give a little better MPG.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:28 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I prefer a smoother ride and comfort over performance since I drive a lot of work. Thus a bit concerned about going with the sportier TLX. Glad to hear the TL/TLX doesn't seem to have a history of electronic issues since will all the new gadgets could lead to pricey repairs in the future.

Regarding FWD vs AWD, the weather isn't bad enough here for snow tires, just trying to determine if worth the extra cash and lower mileage to go with AWD. Thanks
Old 01-11-2016, 06:10 PM
'15 TLX V6 ADV

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Purchased my Advance FWD V6 w/ Aero Kit in November 2015. Had the car for three weeks.. and it was at the Dealership for almost a month because of the transmission. I live in Minnesota, the car drives alright in the snow (not too bad), I had a SH-AWD loaner - man that thing was awesome!

Previous Acura vehicles: 2005 TL, 2007 TL, 2011 TSX. I love the technology in my advance for sure, like the seat belt tensioner when cornering.

So far, in LOVE with it still.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Personally after driving an AWD and especially in snowy slushy weather I would never get FWD in any region that can get any snow or slush. Even in the rain the car just gives such a reassuring ride, of course dump the factory tires.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I upgraded the stock tires to Continental DWS-06 and noticed a major improvement in wet/snow driving, especially when braking or slowing down.

I drive a '13 TSX (fwd only) and although we don't get much snow here in SoCal, I do frequently drive to Mammoth Mountain up north. The stock Michelins weren't great in anything IMO. So if you consider passing on the SH-AWD, you may be able to use the extra funds to upgrade the OEM tires.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:58 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
SH-AWD all the way. It just FEELS so much better! And the mileage really isn't much worse at all. Most people have been doing better than the rated mileage on the highway including myself and I have an SH-AWD (regularly get 33 MPG highway, converted for you Americans).
Old 01-11-2016, 08:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Simple...if you CAN afford the SH-AWD, do it and don't even look back! It is that good!

It is like ordering spaghetti and not getting the meat balls....come on man! Get the meat balls
Old 01-11-2016, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by weather
Simple...if you CAN afford the SH-AWD, do it and don't even look back! It is that good!

It is like ordering spaghetti and not getting the meat balls....come on man! Get the meat balls
If you can't, save up for a few months extra and get it anyway, lol! And whichever TLX you get, make the stealership put good tires on it. I negotiated in 2 sets of good tires (one winter, one summer). I regret nothing. That tepid skidpad number/handling that the car mags complained about? Gone. The thing handles very well with good tires on it, despite a 60F/40R weight split as long as you're even gently on the throttle in a corner (the harder you are on the throttle/higher RPM you're at the more it cancels out understeer and it handles very neutrally which is nice).
Old 01-12-2016, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
What ^^ said!! The first sentence was SPOT ON! I stood at street corners in a mini skirt to raise the extra few thousands.....Sure, it took me 20 years to raise the money but it was worth it (lol)

** DISCLAIMER - I am joking and exaggerating but you get my drift **
Old 01-17-2016, 01:56 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TurboJunkie
I upgraded the stock tires to Continental DWS-06 and noticed a major improvement in wet/snow driving, especially when braking or slowing down.

I drive a '13 TSX (fwd only) and although we don't get much snow here in SoCal, I do frequently drive to Mammoth Mountain up north. The stock Michelins weren't great in anything IMO. So if you consider passing on the SH-AWD, you may be able to use the extra funds to upgrade the OEM tires.
+1 for DWS06 in my FWD 3G TL

not to bad a winter here in WNY, but it does run smooth in light snow

now if DWS06 and FWD is good, DWS06 (or similar) and AWD is better
Old 01-17-2016, 06:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I swapped out the crappy stock Goodyears on my TLX AWD for the DWS06 and what an awesome tire and such an improvement in the ride.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Just want to echo others comments about getting AWD and replacing the crummy stock Goodyear tires. I swapped them for Michelins and love it.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I bet you after last weekend's snowmageddon that SHAWD sounds better and better.

Having said that I chose FWD but that's because I never had SH or AWD for that matter and I was more accustomed to driving in the snow with FWD from my Chicago days (skidding left and right and freaking the crap out of my passengers but completely in control nonetheless).

FWD is fine, but if you're going to hate it (and most likely you will if you're coming from SH) I cannot recommend it.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by baelim
I bet you after last weekend's snowmageddon that SHAWD sounds better and better.

Having said that I chose FWD but that's because I never had SH or AWD for that matter and I was more accustomed to driving in the snow with FWD from my Chicago days (skidding left and right and freaking the crap out of my passengers but completely in control nonetheless).

FWD is fine, but if you're going to hate it (and most likely you will if you're coming from SH) I cannot recommend it.
I never had SH-AWD before this car. I'm sold on it. Totally sold. After driving with it for 2300 km, I have to say it literally changes the car's behaviour. Taking even a normal right turn from a stop sign onto my street where my house is can be exciting if I gas it somewhat. The car will just freaking rotate around the corner in a way that feels like it shouldn't be able to turn like that!

I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. I might also have to change my SH-AWD diff fluid on the 'severe duty' schedule, lol.
Old 02-01-2016, 10:22 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by a35tl
In the States, FWD is still available with the V6. I believe that Canadian models with V6s are all SH-AWD.
You scared me there for a minute, because here in Texas AWD is a complete and utter waste.

V6 FWD is what I am looking at right now.
Old 02-02-2016, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by DMVAcura
Hi. I am looking to purchase a new car so looking for some guidance. Currently have a 2005 Acura RL with 200K+ miles and time for a new car. I'm looking at the TLX and would love to get some input from current owners, especially long time TL/TLX owners. I like to buy my cars and drive them until they die so looking for good reliability.

Curious about FWD handling in bad weather (I have AWD in my RL) since weather here in DC is not bad so wondering if I should bother paying for AWD. Also curious about long term issues/repairs, especially electrical since had a handful in my RL which we quite costly. All input is appreciated. Thanks
I'm in the DMV area as well. I will honestly say that you don't need AWD in the DMV, especially because the TLX is a FWD biased car. The DMV pretty much shuts down whenever the roads are bad (with exceptions like the 1" snow on Wednesday before the blizzard, but AWD wouldn't have helped you get around other people stuck anyways). I've been fine with my FWD Accord, ILX Hybrid and TL in the snow. Would it be something I'd like if money was no factor? Sure, why not? but would I get it on a TLX when buying new? Probably not.

Just an FYI, Pohanka over in Chantilly was giving me some pretty banging deals ($32.5k + $599 processing + TTL for V6 Tech FWD) at the end of last year, and when I checked their inventory a few days ago online, they seemed to have a decent number of 2015's still in stock.. If they actually have 50+ 2015 TLXs in stock still, i'd imagine that they'd be willing to deal

Last edited by CTNYC; 02-02-2016 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:14 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
You scared me there for a minute, because here in Texas AWD is a complete and utter waste.

V6 FWD is what I am looking at right now.
I'm in Texas and I am sold on SH-AWD. It is not just for bad weather. It's truly a blast taking a high speed curve with SH-AWD. Once you try it, you may not be able to resist it!
The following users liked this post:
youngTL (02-03-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by superblast
I'm in Texas and I am sold on SH-AWD. It is not just for bad weather. It's truly a blast taking a high speed curve with SH-AWD. Once you try it, you may not be able to resist it!
Not even just high speed. Any speed. Low speeds are just as enjoyable. For example, turning right around a regular residential corner? Give it some gas and feel the car rotate around the corner in a bizarre and fun manner!
The following users liked this post:
superblast (02-04-2016)
Old 02-03-2016, 11:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by DMVAcura

Due to the newer SHAWD system in the TLX, it returns a lot better MPG vs the FWD model. I'd stick with the 3.5L model with Acurawatch at a minimum
Old 02-07-2016, 11:23 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by CTNYC
I'm in the DMV area as well. I will honestly say that you don't need AWD in the DMV, especially because the TLX is a FWD biased car. The DMV pretty much shuts down whenever the roads are bad (with exceptions like the 1" snow on Wednesday before the blizzard, but AWD wouldn't have helped you get around other people stuck anyways). I've been fine with my FWD Accord, ILX Hybrid and TL in the snow. Would it be something I'd like if money was no factor? Sure, why not? but would I get it on a TLX when buying new? Probably not.

Just an FYI, Pohanka over in Chantilly was giving me some pretty banging deals ($32.5k + $599 processing + TTL for V6 Tech FWD) at the end of last year, and when I checked their inventory a few days ago online, they seemed to have a decent number of 2015's still in stock.. If they actually have 50+ 2015 TLXs in stock still, i'd imagine that they'd be willing to deal
If you go for a 2015 get a late 2015 build.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
If you go for a 2015 get a late 2015 build.
How late of a 2015 model year build do you think is safe?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:33 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by novs25
I don't really know an exact answer to that. Mine is an Aug 2015 build. The last month of 2015 production was Sep. I don't have the hard shifting, but I do have the hesitation. If the discount on a 2015 is attractive enough for you then I'd want a Jul-Aug-Sep build. I got my car for $3K below invoice. But if the discount isn't that great, I'd stick with a 2016. Especially if you are going to keep it for a long time.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:34 PM
Cruisin'

I don't really know an exact answer to that. Mine is an Aug 2015 build. The last month of 2015 production was Sep. I don't have the hard shifting, but I do have the hesitation. If the discount on a 2015 is attractive enough for you then I'd want a Jul-Aug-Sep build. I got my car for $3K below invoice. But if the discount isn't that great, I'd stick with a 2016. Especially if you are going to keep it for a long time.
Thanks. I do plan on keep this car 10+ years. What is invoice for the awd v6 advance? Appreciate the help.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Agree with everyone who recommended getting the SH AWD it is incredible. Even if you don't get snow I assume you get rain. This car so stable and secure at speed on any pavement wet or dry. I also swapped out the tires for the optional 19 inch Michelin 245-45 and don't regret the extra cost I have a relatively early build 2015 and no major transmission issues except for the delayed 9 to 4 downshift when passing at highway speeds. Suspect even the 2016 cars have that as well
Old 02-14-2016, 04:42 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Going from an RL to a TLX will be a big step down, huge if you do not get at least a SH-AWD model.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jayellin
I have a relatively early build 2015 and no major transmission issues except for the delayed 9 to 4 downshift when passing at highway speeds. Suspect even the 2016 cars have that as well
9-4 delay is part of the design. To go from 9th to 4th, it has to move 2 dog clutches which require a brief disconnection of power to line up, plus release a brake and engage a clutch. Doing all that requires some time. I would recommend that anyone that likes to aggressively pass on a frequent basis either drive in Sport+ (locks out 8th and 9th) using more fuel, or not buy the TLX altogether. I'm fine with the way the transmission works because it saves me a crapton of fuel. Here's a recent highway trip. The computer is accurate to within 0.1L/100km (verified when I filled up). This is my SH-AWD model.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:53 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by youngTL
9-4 delay is part of the design. To go from 9th to 4th, it has to move 2 dog clutches which require a brief disconnection of power to line up, plus release a brake and engage a clutch. Doing all that requires some time. I would recommend that anyone that likes to aggressively pass on a frequent basis either drive in Sport+ (locks out 8th and 9th) using more fuel, or not buy the TLX altogether. I'm fine with the way the transmission works because it saves me a crapton of fuel. Here's a recent highway trip. The computer is accurate to within 0.1L/100km (verified when I filled up). This is my SH-AWD model.

Wow that is impressive. 39mpgs.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:08 AM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by novs25
Based on this latest TSB they made the transmission update after these VINs..

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B16-012.PDF

For the FWD V6: 19UUB2…FA021489 and later
For the SH-AWD: 19UUB3…FA007728 and later

My guess is around Jun 2015 or later. But you should be able to get the VIN of any car you are looking at.