Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keeping Assist

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Keeping Assist

Hello - I would like to get anyone's opinion on the 'quality' of these two systems. I find that the ACC is quite jerky and the the LKAS likes to ride along the far right side of the lane, which I'm sure makes people nervous as they drive past me on the right . My wife's sister just got the new ILX Advanced package, and she tested the ACC and said that it was very smooth (smoother than mine). When I was in Europe last year, I rented a Volkswagen something (different models over there - don't remember the name). It had ACC and was very smooth as well.

I'm just trying to determine if the 2015 TLX ACC and LKAS are just not that great or refined, or if I should take this up more forcefully with my dealer, who always seems to want to blow off any complaints I have.

Thanks everyone!
Old 07-02-2016, 05:34 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by BookemDanole
Hello - I would like to get anyone's opinion on the 'quality' of these two systems. I find that the ACC is quite jerky and the the LKAS likes to ride along the far right side of the lane, which I'm sure makes people nervous as they drive past me on the right . My wife's sister just got the new ILX Advanced package, and she tested the ACC and said that it was very smooth (smoother than mine). When I was in Europe last year, I rented a Volkswagen something (different models over there - don't remember the name). It had ACC and was very smooth as well.

I'm just trying to determine if the 2015 TLX ACC and LKAS are just not that great or refined, or if I should take this up more forcefully with my dealer, who always seems to want to blow off any complaints I have.

Thanks everyone!
Is it the ACC or is it the ZF transmission being jerky while shifting during moves?

I've test driven RDX and 2016 Hondas with ACC and LKAS and experienced no jerky issues and car was centered.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:39 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Our CR-V has no issues whatsoever, and it's all the same system. I'm missing those features on my TSX, honestly.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I find the LKAS and to some extent ACC to be pretty weak compared to my A6. Not impressed with Acura's implementation.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
LKAS on my car keeps it fairly close to the centre of the lane, maybe slightly to the right but not a worry.

ACC will occasionally brake hard when coming up to a stopped vehicle. To offset this action I will flip the distance setting to the maximum (at the same point when I would be lifting off the gas if ACC was not active), and then progressively flip it down to one bar as it approached the vehicle ahead.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I find that anything other than the most subtle curve and the LKAS will let you drift out of lane, my Audi was good on most moderate curves.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
I'm fairly impressed with both systems. ACC is jerky in traffic, but that could be due to the transmission, I hardly use it, but the times I have I was fairly impressed (and a bit scared).

LKAS I use all the time and it keeps me in the middle of the lane. My commute has a slight curve on the freeway and it does a great job keeping me in the lane.
Old 07-03-2016, 12:59 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Both systems work great for me. The ACC takes some getting used to to trust it when traffic slows to a stop, though. But it has always worked for me. LKAS keeps me in the center of the lane except when the lane lines diverge like for an offramp. (Still keeps me centered in the lines, but that is not where you really want to be.) These features really make freeway driving more relaxed for me.
Old 07-03-2016, 01:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sbillard
Both systems work great for me. The ACC takes some getting used to to trust it when traffic slows to a stop, though. But it has always worked for me. LKAS keeps me in the center of the lane except when the lane lines diverge like for an offramp. (Still keeps me centered in the lines, but that is not where you really want to be.) These features really make freeway driving more relaxed for me.
The only reason I don't use ACC is because I don't know what it would do if some idiot who doesn't signal just decides to come into my lane. It hasn't happened yet and I always have my foot ready to take over, but damn these unpredictable drivers.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:18 PM
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts
Everyone does still understand that even though we have these features, we still have to actually drive the car right? All kidding aside, I love these features in my car. I just recently drove a base V6 TLX loaner and I realized even more how much I love the ACC. To me, the ACC is a road rage limiting device because it does all the braking and accelerating that I would have to do without this.
Old 07-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by dezymond
The only reason I don't use ACC is because I don't know what it would do if some idiot who doesn't signal just decides to come into my lane. It hasn't happened yet and I always have my foot ready to take over, but damn these unpredictable drivers.
You can, of course, never be free of idiots. But ACC will generally do well even in the situation you describe. But if someone tries to cut you off you better be vigilent.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:33 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
For me the ACC is too aggressive - breaks abruptly as soon as a car ahead slows. In regular driving you see this and let off gas - distance to the vehicle ahead is reduced momentarily as the car slows and then the distance increases to the desired distance. My wife's Toyota Highlander has ACC and is seems to work more like one would drive - it will brake hard if someone cuts in front but in normal driving it never brakes hard. My TLX ACC is somewhat embarrassing if I have passengers - in normal driving the braking is often abrupt enough that they immediately look to see what the urgency is....
Old 07-05-2016, 09:07 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I got back last week from a 1500 mile trip in my TLX - down to the ocean and back. The LKAS was a very nice feature to have on some long highway stretches - I hung my thumb on the wheel and let LKAS do most of the work. The only trouble spots are rain (it flat out doesn't work in the rain) and when a road splits off in a fork - that can confuse the system and you need to have full control of the wheel.

I didn't notice if the car was off to the right or the left - so it must not have been egregious either way if it was. I'm happy with the LKAS.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Just finished my first highway trip with my 2016 2.4. The LKAS worked like a charm, whenever I took my hands off the wheel to test it. The car cruises so quietly and efficiently on the highway! The Lane Departure Warning also worked perfectly.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:57 PM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Both of these systems are in beta. Not reliable enough to bet you life on them.
Old 07-09-2016, 10:54 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
Just finished my first highway trip with my 2016 2.4. The LKAS worked like a charm, whenever I took my hands off the wheel to test it. The car cruises so quietly and efficiently on the highway! The Lane Departure Warning also worked perfectly.
So how did the ACC work?

Oh, I forgot that Acura only offers that on the V6 models, even though you can get it on 4 cyl Accords, the Prius, and too many other non-luxury, fuel efficient cars, to count or list here. I hope Acura gets its act together soon with respect to the 2.4 TLX. Or maybe I should thank Acura for saving me money, since my 2004 TSX is still going strong, and I may now try to wait for the 2018 TLX models, which hopefully will offer all the safety features on the 2.4 model.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:34 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
How long does the LKAS system work until its asking for user input? Mine used to worked for a bit of distant if I left go of the steering wheel. Its helped on a long drive where I can just put my thumb on the steering wheel in case of sharp curve or anything, but recently, no more than 1/4 mile and its already asking for user input. I actually have to shake the steering wheel to get the feature turn back on.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
In my 2015 Advance, I can completely let go of the wheel for 13 seconds before I get the "steering input required" message.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Mine used to be a bit long before require input, now, if I'm lucky, I get about 1/4 mile before the message appear. Sometime after changing lane, the system wouldn't activate until a minute or two later =/
Old 07-11-2016, 04:04 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I concur - it's a great highway cruiser!
Old 07-12-2016, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

I believe it works about the 10-15 seconds mentioned above. As a safe driver, I don't want ANY vehicle on the road to have a system that doesn't require driver's input for much more than that. If and when we get to self driving cars, perhaps a different story.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
So how did the ACC work?

Oh, I forgot that Acura only offers that on the V6 models, even though you can get it on 4 cyl Accords, the Prius, and too many other non-luxury, fuel efficient cars, to count or list here. I hope Acura gets its act together soon with respect to the 2.4 TLX. Or maybe I should thank Acura for saving me money, since my 2004 TSX is still going strong, and I may now try to wait for the 2018 TLX models, which hopefully will offer all the safety features on the 2.4 model.
Didn't your parents teach you to never ask a question you know the answer to. Yes it would be nice to have on my Tech, but the model came out before the Accord loaded up at the top end. When I leased my 2015 6 cyclinder TLX, I considered getting the elite with the few additional bells and whistles, but it's wasn't worth it to me. ACC is nice to have, but I just tap up or down on the set button to slightly speed up or slow down. I like the control, and it's hardly ever necessary unless you drive in major freeway traffic a lot - which I do not. I considered the fully loaded Accord 2.4 before I replaced my TLX with the 2.4 Tech. I really liked the Accord...but LOVE the TLX. The driving dynamics, the 8 speed DCT, the sound system, and interior made it a better value proposition for me. The deal they gave me, including my Acura loyalty 2% interest rate reduction pushed it over the edge
Old 07-18-2016, 03:40 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
LKAS on my car works really well.

The ACC is pretty good most of the time. I find its smoothness actually depends on the distance you have it set to.

Short (1bar) - Seems to brake hard and accelerate hard. Not smooth at all. Sometimes triggers the CMBS warning, lol. This is the worst setting. I never use it because it really is just not smooth at this setting.
Middle (2 bars) - Works well for low-speed follow (LSF) situations in traffic in the city. At faster speeds seems to abruptly brake and accelerate sometimes.
Long (3 bars) - Works the best for highway or freeway cruising. The increased following distance allows for smooth adjustment if someone cuts into or out of your lane (unless they cut you off very close to your bumper). I use this setting the most.
Extra Long (4 bars) - Sometimes tries to brake if someone even goes into a huge space in front of you. Long (3 bars) is a better setting most of the time unless you're behind a big rig that's throwing up rocks.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Used ACC on an expressway today and it was a rough ride, the brakes come on hard. It is pretty cool, but I wouldn't ever rely on it. Highest speed at some parts was 27mph, but I also had the distance set to closest, otherwise I'd have some tailgaters on my ass. Don't see why people need to drive so aggressively....
Old 07-20-2016, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by dezymond
Used ACC on an expressway today and it was a rough ride, the brakes come on hard. It is pretty cool, but I wouldn't ever rely on it. Highest speed at some parts was 27mph, but I also had the distance set to closest, otherwise I'd have some tailgaters on my ass. Don't see why people need to drive so aggressively....
To me that's a bit of an inappropriate circumstance to use it in. The low speed follow is great in stop-and-go traffic. Medium speed dense traffic is a bad idea though in my opinion, because of aggressive drivers. If people are tailgating, cutting others off, and leaving insufficient following distance, you should be fully in control.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I like LKAS as an assist on long drives on the highway. It made my NY to Myrtle Beach drive last year much less tiring.

Having said that, this is not the autopilot system you'd find in a Tesla, but an assist feature which uses less sensors, and by design requires much more driver involvement.

I am not much of a cruise control guy, so don't use that as much, but it too was helpful when in use on long trips.
Old 07-20-2016, 03:31 PM
Volvo Defector

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
I'm approaching 14K miles on my car and have a 1 hour commute each way everyday. My thoughts on LKAS, ACC, & RDMS(Road Departure Mitigation System)

Lets start with ACC:
1) I find the ACC system needs a lot of fine tuning still.
2) I find its ONLY useful if you're not in a hurry and dont mind staying behind a slower car in one of the middle lanes.
3) If you use it in the right lane on highways its annoying with cars constantly exiting/entering. The moderate braking and acceleration gets annoying very quickly. Thus making it useless.
4) If you're always in a hurry(like me) and spend most of your time in the fast lane, It leaves a lot of distance between you and the car in front of you. I've noticed this distance increases every 10mph you're going. Even at shortest distance, it leaves a lot of room for someone to cut in front of you which causes the system to hit the brakes, instead of coasting to maintain distance, which is what normal people do.
This will also agitate the person behind you, which further compounds this problem because they will accelerate and cut you off, thus making you brake moderately again and then this repeats again and again with people coming up behind you, so its completely useless in the fast lane.

Now LKAS:
1) I find this system more useful for mostly highway driving. Which it should since it doesnt enable until you're over 40mph.
2) Living in central NJ and commuting to north NJ(where roads are worse) I find it a little annoying because of all the imperfections on the crappy roads in north NJ. If there are any previous construction sites, lane shifts, crack fill-in's, etc. where there's other lines in addition to the painted lines, this confuses the system and it tries to follow other lines. Once the system is confused and sees the other lines it usually disables itself. However, it still does attempt to slightly turn the steering wheel before turning off.
3) As long as the road is in decent shape, viewable painted lines, no construction sites of previous milled lines, etc. its a pretty decent system.

RDMS:
1) In addition to #2 under LKAS, I also have the same problems with the RDMS(Road Departure Mitigation System) as well. All these lines confuse the car so with other lines in the road it *thinks* its leaving the lane when its not. So the dashboard blinks and it tugs at the steering wheel to warn you you're leaving the road/lane when you're actually not.
2) Outside of crappy road conditions due to construction or under maintenaced roads, the RDMS system is actually pretty decent at letting you know when you're drifting out of your lane. It actually tugs the steering wheel(which you feel in your hands if your eyes arent on the road), blinks on the dashboard, and I read in the manual it can actually brake the two inside wheels to try and get the car to go back into your lane.
Old 07-20-2016, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by reddogTL
I'm approaching 14K miles on my car and have a 1 hour commute each way everyday. My thoughts on LKAS, ACC, & RDMS(Road Departure Mitigation System)

Lets start with ACC:
1) I find the ACC system needs a lot of fine tuning still.
2) I find its ONLY useful if you're not in a hurry and dont mind staying behind a slower car in one of the middle lanes.
3) If you use it in the right lane on highways its annoying with cars constantly exiting/entering. The moderate braking and acceleration gets annoying very quickly. Thus making it useless.
4) If you're always in a hurry(like me) and spend most of your time in the fast lane, It leaves a lot of distance between you and the car in front of you. I've noticed this distance increases every 10mph you're going. Even at shortest distance, it leaves a lot of room for someone to cut in front of you which causes the system to hit the brakes, instead of coasting to maintain distance, which is what normal people do.
This will also agitate the person behind you, which further compounds this problem because they will accelerate and cut you off, thus making you brake moderately again and then this repeats again and again with people coming up behind you, so its completely useless in the fast lane.

Now LKAS:
1) I find this system more useful for mostly highway driving. Which it should since it doesnt enable until you're over 40mph.
2) Living in central NJ and commuting to north NJ(where roads are worse) I find it a little annoying because of all the imperfections on the crappy roads in north NJ. If there are any previous construction sites, lane shifts, crack fill-in's, etc. where there's other lines in addition to the painted lines, this confuses the system and it tries to follow other lines. Once the system is confused and sees the other lines it usually disables itself. However, it still does attempt to slightly turn the steering wheel before turning off.
3) As long as the road is in decent shape, viewable painted lines, no construction sites of previous milled lines, etc. its a pretty decent system.

RDMS:
1) In addition to #2 under LKAS, I also have the same problems with the RDMS(Road Departure Mitigation System) as well. All these lines confuse the car so with other lines in the road it *thinks* its leaving the lane when its not. So the dashboard blinks and it tugs at the steering wheel to warn you you're leaving the road/lane when you're actually not.
2) Outside of crappy road conditions due to construction or under maintenaced roads, the RDMS system is actually pretty decent at letting you know when you're drifting out of your lane. It actually tugs the steering wheel(which you feel in your hands if your eyes arent on the road), blinks on the dashboard, and I read in the manual it can actually brake the two inside wheels to try and get the car to go back into your lane.
Have you had the CMBS engage yet? Mine did while I was driving on the highway and a sudden heavy rainstorm hit where visibility dropped to near-zero. The person in front of me suddenly slammed on their brakes but their brake lights were burnt out (old 90's Cavalier), and the CMBS flashed the "BRAKE!" HUD at me, and then did something I've never felt before. It used the e-pretensioners to slap my shoulder HARD with the seatbelt 3 times in rapid succession. That shit hurts a little.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by youngTL
To me that's a bit of an inappropriate circumstance to use it in. The low speed follow is great in stop-and-go traffic. Medium speed dense traffic is a bad idea though in my opinion, because of aggressive drivers. If people are tailgating, cutting others off, and leaving insufficient following distance, you should be fully in control.
Yeah it was a bit of an extreme condition, but I put a stop to it after a few minutes, really probably 100yds, because I didn't feel safe relying on the technology of the car. It does work, even in the conditions I tried it in, but I wouldn't recommend it.

On the highway with a good consistent speed, it works awesome, just tried it the other day. However, just like any other technology it has the same flaw we do, we cannot predict what other drivers are really going to do (the idiots anyway).

The technology works and works fairly well, but to me ACC is a bit discomforting because if it happens not to work, well it's going to hurt, and pretty bad. Now I won't use it because I'm texting or whatever it is, I am aware of my surroundings and constantly will always watch for others, but it can be a useful tool. However, when I tried it, even for short distances, I can't say I felt more relaxed because I didn't feel I was in complete control. Even though my foot was hovering over the pedals at all times.