Acura will jeopardize their reputation if they don't fix 8 speed DCT issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Acura will jeopardize their reputation if they don't fix 8 speed DCT issues

I have always been honda/ Acura fan. Have owned many honda products but by the wide margin this TLX is the worst car I have ever owned. If it wasn't for this rubbish transmission its a fantastic car. From the day I bought it the 8 DCT has been nothing but jerky especially at low speeds. When I saw few people posting that there is an update on the ecu that fixes the transmission issue, I could not wait. I went to one of the Acura service center and requested them to update my tlx ecu. They said they performed the ecu software update but honestly nothing has changed. Its slightly smoother druing cold start but the low speed jerking still exist. Acura needs to come out out the right fix soon because like me, I am sure there are other acura tlx owners who are not satisfied and are thinking if it was wrong choice.
The following users liked this post:
jeremyw (12-25-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Is there really an official ECU fix? I called both the dealer and Acura, and they told me there wasn't anything yet.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I've never experienced any of the jerkiness or issues that a couple people have mentioned, and I have the ability to drive many 4 cyl TLX's and not one has had that issue...the only thing I would mention is that when a car has been sitting cold for awhile the transmission (not just the 8 DCT mind you) feels like it's slipping when you go to accelerate quickly, but you aren't supposed to hammer on it right away when it's cold, so I'm sure it has to do with the fluid being cold or something to that extent...

who knows, maybe you got the transmission that was being built by the guy that was about to clock out for his 2 week vacation at 4:59 on a Friday lol
Warrior 6 (12-10-2014)
Old 12-09-2014, 11:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I bought the 3.5 but did considerable test driving of several 4 cylinders. I loved the tranny and would likely have bought the 2.4 but available colour combo and a great deal on a 3.5 SH-AWD Teach lured me into my first 6 cylinder. You may have a rare lemon.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Aren't DCT transmissions jerky by nature? I remember reading about several other cars in the past with DCT transmissions suffering the same thing.

And OP, what reputation are you referring to?

Acura no longer:
A) builds reliable cars like they used to (for a long time now)
B) has a sporty image by any stretch of the imagination
C) should be using the "advance" moniker, as there is nothing advanced about their cars over the competition.
YeuEmMaiMai (12-26-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 12:31 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Nothing will be jeopardized.

Looking back at the 2G TL/CL's badly designed 5AT which would self-destruct after accumulated certain random mileages, sometimes with no prior failure warning.

However, the 2G/3G TL continued to sell like hotcakes, with the prior 2G TL tranny problem not making even a tiny dent in terms of the TL reputation.

The 3G TL even ended up as the all-time best-selling TL sedans at around 6K units per month.

This 8-speed DCT issue is nothing in comparison with the 2G-TL 5AT problem that was considered to be a safety hazard.

So go figures.
The following 4 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
Acura_Girl_Forever (12-18-2014), F23A4 (12-14-2014), neuronbob (12-13-2014), YeuEmMaiMai (12-26-2014)
Old 12-10-2014, 06:37 AM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
The design of the car is what jeopardized Acura. If it looks nice, doesn't matter if it isn't reliable. Look at the G coupe for example. 6 major recalls and over 70 TSB's.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Aren't DCT transmissions jerky by nature? I remember reading about several other cars in the past with DCT transmissions suffering the same thing.
That's why Acura added a torque converter to smooth out the jerkyness of conventional DCTs
Old 12-10-2014, 07:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by vbx
The design of the car is what jeopardized Acura. If it looks nice, doesn't matter if it isn't reliable..
Old 12-10-2014, 07:49 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by bovicious
I've never experienced any of the jerkiness or issues that a couple people have mentioned, and I have the ability to drive many 4 cyl TLX's and not one has had that issue...the only thing I would mention is that when a car has been sitting cold for awhile the transmission (not just the 8 DCT mind you) feels like it's slipping when you go to accelerate quickly, but you aren't supposed to hammer on it right away when it's cold, so I'm sure it has to do with the fluid being cold or something to that extent...

who knows, maybe you got the transmission that was being built by the guy that was about to clock out for his 2 week vacation at 4:59 on a Friday lol
Same here. I live in the northeast so let's say in the morning I jump in my car I do notice what is described above but also same for my other cars, otherwise I am in love with the tranny it is one of my favorite things about the car. Shocked to read these issues, take loaner out for a day and see if same experience.

Good luck.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlueBomber
That's why Acura added a torque converter to smooth out the jerkyness of conventional DCTs
Did it work?
Old 12-10-2014, 08:35 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had the car for about couple of weeks now.. There sure is some jerkiness accelerating from stop/low speeds, also it would surge ahead during braking sometimes like it jumped from 4th gear to first and engine stalled(just feels like it)... Is there an update for this ?
Old 12-10-2014, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Perhaps it's because I'm coming from a MT, but the DCT even with the torque converter still feels very much like a manual sometimes.

I'm sure someone can explain this better but I don't think the torque converter "kicks in" simultaneously at every gear especially if your driving causes irregular gear changes.

I sure hope this is not an "issue" but just the nature of the beast and just needs to be broken in and it will smooth out the wrinkles on its own. Just thinking about, I don't think you can just make a DCT smooth by just adding a "magical" torque converter.

Last edited by baelim; 12-10-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:20 PM
a77
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts
So much is down to how you drive. I guess I notice the occasional mild jerk (as opposed to most changes being close to undetectable) but so I do in all autos. Except CVTs but they have their own foibles too. My manual gear changes were jerky too sometimes. Sometimes perfect. Least with a manual you can only blame yourself....
Old 12-10-2014, 12:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBlueBomber
I'm trying to get a definitive answer, but it was suggested that the torque converter only assisted with launches, for the higher gears it locks up to allow for the faster gear changes that DCTs are known for.

Originally Posted by gottatlx
also it would surge ahead during braking sometimes like it jumped from 4th gear to first... Is there an update for this ?
There as a One Pack video that talked about a low speed rpm surge under deceleration. I don't know that the solution was a ECU flash, I thought it was more of a ECU reset that essentially "cleared the cache" in the system. Not sure without re-watching the video. It's worth mentioning that the car is supposed to match revs on downshifts, so some rise in rpm may be normal.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
jerkiness is one of the characteristics of DCT. i dont think you can completely get rid of it even with the ecu update
Old 12-12-2014, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts

And OP, what reputation are you referring to?

Acura no longer:
A) builds reliable cars like they used to (for a long time now)
B) has a sporty image by any stretch of the imagination
C) should be using the "advance" moniker, as there is nothing advanced about their cars over the competition.
They are, but isn't that why Acura put the torque converter in the DCT to help smooth it out?
Old 12-12-2014, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by KeithL
They are, but isn't that why Acura put the torque converter in the DCT to help smooth it out?
Butt, Did it work?
Old 12-12-2014, 10:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
Butt, Did it work?
LOL, sometimes
Old 12-12-2014, 03:31 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by baelim
Perhaps it's because I'm coming from a MT, but the DCT even with the torque converter still feels very much like a manual sometimes.

I'm sure someone can explain this better but I don't think the torque converter "kicks in" simultaneously at every gear especially if your driving causes irregular gear changes.

I sure hope this is not an "issue" but just the nature of the beast and just needs to be broken in and it will smooth out the wrinkles on its own. Just thinking about, I don't think you can just make a DCT smooth by just adding a "magical" torque converter.
This is a great review that includes how the DCT and torque converter thru the various gears is used on the TLX. A bit long but informative.

Old 12-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Tenantman
This is a great review that includes how the DCT and torque converter thru the various gears is used on the TLX. A bit long but informative.

I have mentioned this in other threads, but the most severe jerkiness is changing from Reverse to Drive first thing in the morning, and the next couple of low-speed shifts after that aren't that great either. But after that, zero complaints. It's an awesome car to drive. BTW, these are Texas mornings, not Alberta mornings, where the jerkiness shows up. Is it much worse in the north?

The confusion about updates may relate to the nav system upgrade that came out last month.

I'm sure in due time they'll figure out a way to tame the jerkiness.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:59 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Just read a post on the RLX forum about the jewel headlights are now on recall with a stop sale issued. This is very discouraging. With this, the suspension problem with the RLX and the transmission problem with the TLX what is going on at Acura? I am beginning to think just keep my bullet proof 2010 RL or jump ship to Lexus. This really confirms J D Power's rating of Acura as #25 out of 32 in initial quality. The day Volkswagen and Land Rover are higher is incredible. I know we will get the post that states "my RLX or TLX is great" but obvious something is wrong at Acura. When you go from #3 to #25 quality control is failing big time. This is based on the 2014 models. Next year's based on the post here referencing all the issues Acura might very well be #32.

2014 U.S. Initial Quality Study (IQS) | J.D. Power
Old 12-12-2014, 04:06 PM
a77
Racer

Just to say I have never experienced any jerk at all from reverse to forward - and do this every day and at temps down to -24. I do experience the brake hold hanging up though - if I leave it on, the next morning car (though it shows its off) it won't move backwards out of garage. I have to fiddle with the buttons, drive forwards an inch or so and then I can go back. weird.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:14 PM
a77
Racer

That aside that table is just worthless data. and always has been. Much as I love Jaguars, their reliability sucks. That land rover is better than Infiniti and Acura? That Jeep is apalling and Chrysler is almost up there with Honda and BMW, that Subaru does so badly (come on - they have a stellar reliability record). The chart also confuses actual problems as in things wrong with user factors - bluetooth and so. Why does Scion do dreadfully and Toyota so well - they are exactly the same. It has zero credibility. Like so much else that JD Power comes up with.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:19 PM
a77
Racer

Maybe the FRS/BRZ is dragging both Scion and Subaru - but a fairly small percentage or Subarus anyways...
Old 12-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by a77
That aside that table is just worthless data. and always has been. Much as I love Jaguars, their reliability sucks. That land rover is better than Infiniti and Acura? That Jeep is apalling and Chrysler is almost up there with Honda and BMW, that Subaru does so badly (come on - they have a stellar reliability record). The chart also confuses actual problems as in things wrong with user factors - bluetooth and so. Why does Scion do dreadfully and Toyota so well - they are exactly the same. It has zero credibility. Like so much else that JD Power comes up with.
So when Acura was #3 in initial quality and is currently #4 in dependability that is worthless? All these post referencing problems with brand new cars are made up. Over many years, I have bought at least 12 new Acura's and Honda's and never had an initial problem with one. It is a new car that is why we buy new cars because there should be no problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by FredS:
BEAR-AvHistory (12-12-2014), Davinci547Acura (12-12-2014)
Old 12-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
There is a software update for the DCT trannys for that slight cold temp shift jerk but it has not been perfected yet, it improves on some cars but no worries newer software is coming soon! Be patient.....
tlxsteve (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 06:49 AM
a77
Racer

Originally Posted by FredS
So when Acura was #3 in initial quality and is currently #4 in dependability that is worthless? All these post referencing problems with brand new cars are made up. Over many years, I have bought at least 12 new Acura's and Honda's and never had an initial problem with one. It is a new car that is why we buy new cars because there should be no problems.
I think the initial quality rankings are worthless. JDPower are behind the even more worthless top box CSI reports that are the bane of every sales persons' working life and a huge detriment to car companies getting worthwhile feedback from customers. its this that leads me to doubt anything they come up with.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My TLX is definitely not as smooth shifting as my previous TL. But I can live with it because the other features of the car are so outstanding.

When the car warms up the issue is MUCH less noticeable.

I do hope an update will improve the transmission.

Don
Old 12-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Initial quality is almost always worthless.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:22 PM
RLTW!!

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Just completed my first week of ownership of my new TLX 2.4 Tech, and not experiencing any of the transmissions issues cited in this thread. Seeing some goofiness with the "brake hold" function, and will be taking the car back to the service department to have this addressed. Most annoying development is a annoying rear shelf vibration when the bass is loud......aaaarrrrggghhhh. Agree with Coronado 111 and his comments, spot on....
Old 12-13-2014, 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kurtatx
Initial quality is almost always worthless.
IMO, overall, the initial quality is there. Fit finish is quite nice.

Yes, there are some bugs but there are bugs in many vehicles, not just first year model.

So far, I haven't really seen any issues that can't be fixed via warranty/recall work. Not everyone here with one is complaining about the 8DCT.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree. None of these issues are show stoppers and if I lived in a city where an Acura dealer existed, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger and get my own. At 4.5h driving distance, that is a bigger issue.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by weather
^^ I agree. None of these issues are show stoppers and if I lived in a city where an Acura dealer existed, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger and get my own. At 4.5h driving distance, that is a bigger issue.
I do realize to those that are experiencing issues, they are big to them as they would be to me.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:33 AM
MiaTLX

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I live in HOT ass Miami and my tranny is a nightmare, whether its "cold" or not. Gears 1, 2 & 3 are TERRIBLE. I've experienced every single issue with the 8 DCT. As stated above, going from reverse to drive can cause a massive gear slip.. One time so hard it almost turned off the car. Also have terrible downshifting even after driving for a few miles. My TLX has almost jumped into moving traffic after coming to a complete stop.

The weird part for me is that i experienced non of these problems during my first 2 weeks of driving. Also the issues have gotten progressively worse as I am now in my third month of ownership. These problems make me miss my 05' RL, which even though was 10 years older ran like a beast. Sad to say this will probably be my last Acura, as the future of the brand looks bleak.
jeremyw (12-25-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 05:40 AM
Suzuka Master

The future for Acura looks bleak because you don't like your 8DCT? Okay...
a35tl (12-14-2014)
Old 12-14-2014, 05:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The future for Acura looks bleak because you don't like your 8DCT? Okay...
I get you defending your Acura....but isn't he allowed to voice his frustration with his. After all, this is the thread for just this reason. He his sharing his experience with his transmission and explaining how his is getting worse....something that I haven't heard and exactly my concern. Tell me that you would not be sharing if this were you.

Yeah, I am sure Acura will fix it, and I get that this is an Acura owner/enthusiast site, but every post that says anything bad about a TLX is immediately responded to. I am sure that you will find a flaw/error/judgement in my reply, but some people appreciate an owners experience being shared on a thread seeking that reply.

btw, as I have said too often, I love Acura and will probably buy a TLX....but I want to know what I am walking into....and it wasn't too long ago that Acura future did look bleak b/c many people did not like the cars.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by quantum7
I get you defending your Acura....but isn't he allowed to voice his frustration with his. After all, this is the thread for just this reason. He his sharing his experience with his transmission and explaining how his is getting worse....something that I haven't heard and exactly my concern. Tell me that you would not be sharing if this were you.

Yeah, I am sure Acura will fix it, and I get that this is an Acura owner/enthusiast site, but every post that says anything bad about a TLX is immediately responded to. I am sure that you will find a flaw/error/judgement in my reply, but some people appreciate an owners experience being shared on a thread seeking that reply.

btw, as I have said too often, I love Acura and will probably buy a TLX....but I want to know what I am walking into....and it wasn't too long ago that Acura future did look bleak b/c many people did not like the cars.
WoW, just wow. All I did was comment on his "future of Acura" and NO OTHER part.. all this DOOM and GLOOM gets very old.

Even when I find a flaw/issue, I am not going to come here and state that Acura is done for. Sharing the issues and even being pissed is not the same as saying Acura is dead. I have yet to comment about someone's issue anger because we all understand that

If you don't like my posts, just ignore me.

Last edited by Stew4HD; 12-14-2014 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by quantum7

Agree with you 100%. I remember the days of the forums for the RL and TL were filled with tips and tricks and things I love about my car etc. Now seems like they are threads with major problem areas, TSB's and stop sales. I like you am contemplating buying a TLX or RLX but now no time soon. Can not imagine someone who has read all these post about all these major initial issues and is not concerned. The question to ask is with all these initial quality concerns and the 25th out of 32 ranking by J D Power in initial quality going to bring further issues down the road.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:27 AM

Agree with you 100%. I remember the days of the forums for the RL and TL were filled with tips and tricks and things I love about my car etc. Now seems like they are threads with major problem areas, TSB's and stop sales. I like you am contemplating buying a TLX or RLX but now no time soon. Can not imagine someone who has read all these post about all these major initial issues and is not concerned. The question to ask is with all these initial quality concerns and the 25th out of 32 ranking by J D Power in initial quality going to bring further issues down the road.
ummm, you do know that forums are a place to point out problems, right!??
its the nature of the beast, we come to forums to figure out things.

in order for members to post tips and tricks, you guise need to be innovators.
instead of innovating and finding cool stuff, we're met with these kinds of threads; complaints.

and rightfully so.
Acura has been messing up for the last 5 -8 years already.

so, instead of wasting time on here complaining, go out there and come up with tips and tricks for your community. (it is hard, however, if you dont own the car yet)

Quick Reply: Acura will jeopardize their reputation if they don't fix 8 speed DCT issues