Acura TLX Luxury Sports Sedan Speeds Into 2017 Model Year - Price bump, new colors

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 11:29 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Acura TLX Luxury Sports Sedan Speeds Into 2017 Model Year - Price bump, new colors

I've been researching the TLX for a second car. In the middle of negotiations, and stumbled upon this, released earlier today.

specs: 2017 Acura TLX Specifications and Features - Acura Automobiles - Honda News

Press Release: Acura TLX Luxury Sports Sedan Speeds Into 2017 Model Year - Acura Automobiles - Honda News

Looks like nothing new except a few new colors (previously reported on the forum) - Says that they go on sale tomorrow. Was prepared to accept a deal on a TLX in literally 5 minutes, but found their press release first. I think I'll hold out (take a gamble that as 2017s hit the lot, 2016s will get more discounts). This will be my second car, so I'm fine with waiting another month or two (But now I'm disappointed bc I thought I was going to be driving my new car this week). Lol - oh well.

Last edited by CTNYC; 07-15-2016 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ggesq (07-15-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 12:26 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Looks like we will still have to wait for the +18 for Acurawatch on all models or a slim to none chance for a 2.4L Adv version.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Racer

Honda corporate says in their press release that the 2017 TLX will go on sale tomorrow. I heard back from my dealership (Pohanka, "largest Acura dealership in the world") and my sales consultant said the earliest they are expecting 2017 TLX's are mid- August... Not sure if he's just blowing smoke to get me to sign for a 2016 TLX now, but I'm pushing him to drop the price a little more...
Old 07-15-2016, 01:40 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
well duh, every sales man wants to make a sale TODAY.
doesnt matter if you return the item, as long as he makes the sale TODAY, he wins.

everything points in your favor to win. new '17s coming

you just need to stand your ground with a firm OTD price, or keep playing the waiting game
Old 07-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by justnspace
well duh, every sales man wants to make a sale TODAY.
doesnt matter if you return the item, as long as he makes the sale TODAY, he wins.

everything points in your favor to win. new '17s coming

you just need to stand your ground with a firm OTD price, or keep playing the waiting game
Oh I'm completely willing to play the waiting game if they don't come down to my price... Just offered $1000 lower + add on remote start, which I would consider to be a fantastic deal -- Let's see if they're willing to play ball, if not, I have a reliable daily already and can wait for months plus the fact that they still have 10-20 brand new 2015 TLX's in stock plus another 277 brand new 2016 TLX's in stock (85 V6 Techs, which is what I'm negotiating on) means that they need to sell 50+ TLX's every month if they want to clear them out by 1/1/2017.... They moved 4 TLXs in the last week or so, I believe all base 4 cylinder models... Ball is definitely in my court here.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by CTNYC
Oh I'm completely willing to play the waiting game if they don't come down to my price... Just offered $1000 lower + add on remote start, which I would consider to be a fantastic deal -- Let's see if they're willing to play ball, if not, I have a reliable daily already and can wait for months plus the fact that they still have 10-20 brand new 2015 TLX's in stock plus another 277 brand new 2016 TLX's in stock (85 V6 Techs, which is what I'm negotiating on) means that they need to sell 50+ TLX's every month if they want to clear them out by 1/1/2017.... They moved 4 TLXs in the last week or so, I believe all base 4 cylinder models... Ball is definitely in my court here.

I see you have 2010 TL.

How do think TLX comparing to you 4G TL?
Old 07-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
I just noticed comparing press releases that the ELS system in the 2015 was 455 watts and the 2016 and 2017 are 490 watts. I did notice a little boost in my 2016 sound vs my 2015
Old 07-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lltfly
I see you have 2010 TL.

How do think TLX comparing to you 4G TL?
I've driven the TLX multiple times as loaner cars and probably driven it for ~30 days collectively -- I've had the 4 cyl base, 4 cyl tech, V6 base, and V6 tech, all FWD models.

At first, I immediately thought it is a downgrade compared to the TL, it just didn't feel as solidly built as the TL was. However, after driving it for about a week and really getting a feel for the car, I really do like the TLX. It's a great car overall. The 4 cyl variants in normal mode were really boring and literally felt like the definition of a basic Accord, but in sport mode and when you really push it, it was actually very fun to drive. The transmission was very quick and sporty. The V6 is very powerful as well. I think it just takes time to get used to the TLX's driving characteristics and less "solid" feel of the cabin. The 2015s I've driven were very jerky in stop and go traffic, but the 2016s seem to be a lot better.

I will say, the TLX "feels" slower than the TL, likely because it has far more gears and isn't as torquey unless you really step on it. However, once you get used to it, its really a pretty great car for the money with really good gas mileage compared to the 4G TL - I suggest taking one for a long test drive (or see if they'll let you take a loaner car out for a day to see how you like it)

---
Update from the dealer: They pretty much flat out rejected my counter offer... They say they have no more wiggle room :/ Next lowest dealership in terms of price is ~$2000-$4000 more than this dealership and none are willing to even match their price.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:49 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
I've driven the TLX multiple times as loaner cars and probably driven it for ~30 days collectively -- I've had the 4 cyl base, 4 cyl tech, V6 base, and V6 tech, all FWD models.

At first, I immediately thought it is a downgrade compared to the TL, it just didn't feel as solidly built as the TL was. However, after driving it for about a week and really getting a feel for the car, I really do like the TLX. It's a great car overall. The 4 cyl variants in normal mode were really boring and literally felt like the definition of a basic Accord, but in sport mode and when you really push it, it was actually very fun to drive. The transmission was very quick and sporty. The V6 is very powerful as well. I think it just takes time to get used to the TLX's driving characteristics and less "solid" feel of the cabin. The 2015s I've driven were very jerky in stop and go traffic, but the 2016s seem to be a lot better.

I will say, the TLX "feels" slower than the TL, likely because it has far more gears and isn't as torquey unless you really step on it. However, once you get used to it, its really a pretty great car for the money with really good gas mileage compared to the 4G TL - I suggest taking one for a long test drive (or see if they'll let you take a loaner car out for a day to see how you like it)

---
Update from the dealer: They pretty much flat out rejected my counter offer... They say they have no more wiggle room :/ Next lowest dealership in terms of price is ~$2000-$4000 more than this dealership and none are willing to even match their price.
What kind of deal are you able to get on the TLX V6? Your dealer has 2-3x more inventory than I've seen.

I really wanted a 4 cyl TLX with Acurawatch, but since that's not gonna happen until 2018, I'm leaning towards working a deal on a 2016 Accord Touring, unless the deals on the 2016 TLX V6 Advance (that has Acurawatch) are exceptional. Trying to figure out the max that can be discounted. Wondering if Acura is offering incentives or loyalty discounts.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:32 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts

---

Why spending money for something yourself consider overall a step back?? There are quite few options out there today in that price range, much better than the alternative choices we had in 2010 when you (and I) got the 4G TL.
Old 07-16-2016, 05:56 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Honda corporate says in their press release that the 2017 TLX will go on sale tomorrow. I heard back from my dealership (Pohanka, "largest Acura dealership in the world") and my sales consultant said the earliest they are expecting 2017 TLX's are mid- August... Not sure if he's just blowing smoke to get me to sign for a 2016 TLX now, but I'm pushing him to drop the price a little more...
I had the same thing happen to me with respect to the 2017 Accord hybrid. I stopped by a local dealer about a week after Honda issued a press release saying they were on sale. The dealer told me they were not expecting to receive any for about a month.
Old 07-16-2016, 11:31 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
With practically no difference in the 2016 vice the 2017 except for a few colors, there is really not going to be much difference in supply and demand and therefore price. The factory just starts putting the new VINs on the next cars down the line. So as long as they keep selling at about the same pace and the demand is about the same, I would not expect a larger than normal discount.

Next year with the MMC and features that people want on the new car, there should be savings on the old model. But the 2016 and 2107 are essentially the same model. You will take less hit on the depreciation on a 2017 and that is really your only bargaining chip.

If there are any 2015's left on the dealers lot I wouldn't touch those with a 10 foot pole.
Old 07-18-2016, 12:57 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Why spending money for something yourself consider overall a step back?? There are quite few options out there today in that price range, much better than the alternative choices we had in 2010 when you (and I) got the 4G TL.
I think the OP already stated the reasons. As per OP,

" I immediately thought it is a downgrade compared to the TL ......However, after driving it for about a week and really getting a feel for the car, I really do like the TLX. It's a great car overall."

To me, it seems like that after spending more quality time with the TLX, he realized that he likes the car and would like to get it?
The following users liked this post:
a35tl (07-18-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 01:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by iforyou
I think the OP already stated the reasons. As per OP,

" I immediately thought it is a downgrade compared to the TL ......However, after driving it for about a week and really getting a feel for the car, I really do like the TLX. It's a great car overall."

To me, it seems like that after spending more quality time with the TLX, he realized that he likes the car and would like to get it?
That is correct -- It just took some time getting used to the differences, but I do really like how it drives (and the gas mileage). I don't really see anything in this price point that I really like aside for maybe the 3 series. I do like performance, but comfort/luxury are more important to me. Also, as shallow as it sounds, I do not want to get a "mainstream" brand car, mainly because of the subtle differences in build quality, dealership experiences, etc.

While there aren't any real differences between the 2016/2017 TLX, the dealer would obviously want to get rid of the 2016s. The car will only depreciate more and more because it is a year older. My dealership also happens to be sitting heavy on TLXs -- 275 2016's in stock currently, which means they sold only 4-5 in the last week, assuming they didn't get any new shipments.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:20 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I just noticed comparing press releases that the ELS system in the 2015 was 455 watts and the 2016 and 2017 are 490 watts. I did notice a little boost in my 2016 sound vs my 2015
What, really?

Maybe that explains why I heard complaints about the bass amplitude, and I have no complaints with mine (or I just don't listen to stuff that requires insane bass to sound good).
Old 07-18-2016, 03:23 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGuy2016
What kind of deal are you able to get on the TLX V6? Your dealer has 2-3x more inventory than I've seen.

I really wanted a 4 cyl TLX with Acurawatch, but since that's not gonna happen until 2018, I'm leaning towards working a deal on a 2016 Accord Touring, unless the deals on the 2016 TLX V6 Advance (that has Acurawatch) are exceptional. Trying to figure out the max that can be discounted. Wondering if Acura is offering incentives or loyalty discounts.
If you play the waiting game, you might see them start to offer more extreme deals towards either the end of the month (from the dealership itself) or near the end of the model year run (from Acura corporate through the dealer). The biggest discounts come when you can layer those two things. When I bought my 2016, the dealership was offering $6k off a 2015 without any negotiation at all (although I'm glad I got the 2016 for many reasons, most of all that the transmission is good).
Old 07-18-2016, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
Originally Posted by youngTL
What, really?

Maybe that explains why I heard complaints about the bass amplitude, and I have no complaints with mine (or I just don't listen to stuff that requires insane bass to sound good).
I suspect both. I have noticed an improvement in the base on the few songs I play where the bass is very noticeable.