5th Generation Acura TL Reviews

Old 08-05-2014, 06:56 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice. Finally we get a video test review.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:14 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
A bit sceptical about that video.

The comment at the end that the v6 doesn't make sense, well, thats questionable judgment on behalf of the kid in the video.

I think we need to hear from some senior automotive journalists first.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like everybody pretty much agrees that Acura screwed up the V6
and the "2nd gen" SH-AWD is nothing special
The following users liked this post:
Gen4MDX (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinZ
Yup. May as well set 'em all on fire.
The following 4 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
a35tl (08-05-2014), dysonlu (08-06-2014), JM2010 SH-AWD (08-05-2014), kurtatx (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 08:32 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
My takeaways are:

1) They got it "luxury quiet" - which is very nice
2) It rides and handles quite well.
3) The inhouse developed DCT is a winner!
4) The interior is nice - but not special.
5) The 2.4/DCT combo offers plenty of power for the car for most drivers.
6) For the pricetag it's a great value for the low end luxury space.

I'm interested. Too bad none of my local dealers will have a 2.4/tech for a matter of weeks. Seems the first batch they got in were all sold before they hit the lot - or so say.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Drifting

Received 563 Likes on 363 Posts
^Several people are reporting that their dealers have sold out the first deliveries.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:59 PM
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by JustinZ
Just because many reviewers have expressed a preference for the 4 cyl does not mean that Acura screwed up on the V6. It may mean that for most folks, 200 hp is sufficient, especially since the lighter engine leads to better handling on a relatively small front wheel drive vehicle like the TLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by cruiserchuck:
H_CAR (08-05-2014), Stew4HD (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
Old 08-05-2014, 09:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 85 Posts
^^^^ fast forward to 7:45 and you will see 0-60 for sh-awd model.... review is boring...
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Now that the reviews are out and looks good. Everybody is jumping on the bandwagon on getting a TLX. People always tends to listen around what other people thinks before it was release and was downing the car. "saying it was ungly", "its boring", now that everyone is digging the TLX and the good reviews people are starting to love the car. Its so annoying with dump people that can't think for themself!
The following 2 users liked this post by jduong29:
mr2core (08-06-2014), Stew4HD (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Instructor

Received 84 Likes on 21 Posts
Did anyone notice that the 4-cyl in the AutoGuide video review had fog lights? I assume they were added for the press car model only... Sigh.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jduong29
Now that the reviews are out and looks good. Everybody is jumping on the bandwagon on getting a TLX. People always tends to listen around what other people thinks before it was release and was downing the car. "saying it was ungly", "its boring", now that everyone is digging the TLX and the good reviews people are starting to love the car. Its so annoying with dump people that can't think for themself!
I still stand by my comments...'I' find it boring and uninspiring, but lots of regular people that drive to a from work on I-<fill in the #> will like this car. If you love driving and want a fun weekend car you'll do yourself a favor and look at some of the fantastic rear drive options out there.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:00 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by dzionny_dzionassi
^^^^ fast forward to 7:45 and you will see 0-60 for sh-awd model.... review is boring...
That's a really lame review, bunch of blah blah nonsense...
Old 08-05-2014, 11:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
^Several people are reporting that their dealers have sold out the first deliveries.
I never consider anything 'sold' till it rolls out the door, but I've got 5 TLX Advantage orders. All for 4 cylinder models! This pretty much represents our first two months of production.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
That was painful to watch.... He looked nervous like it was his first time. I'm gonna erase that from my memory and wait for the experienced guys to do a video review.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by jiggaman
seems like the ultimate combo is the one they didnt make. 4 banger with Sh-AWD.
And ADVANCE PACKAGE on the 4 cylinder - Acura I hope you are reading this and listening to us. Right now Lexus is much more appealing to me as they are giving customers many more options....upcoming NX with 2.0T, F-Sport trim, vehicles with some attitude AND awesome exposed exhaust tips

New Acura's are nice but just meh, very little to get excited about
There is just no "I gotta have this" feeling and I really felt that I hade to have this car when you rolled out the prototype, but now I am just not feeling it.

Of course this could change with an Advance package on the 4, much better looking wheels, better tires, stronger brakes and exhaust tips!

Last edited by Gen4MDX; 08-05-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cruiserchuck
Just because many reviewers have expressed a preference for the 4 cyl does not mean that Acura screwed up on the V6. It may mean that for most folks, 200 hp is sufficient, especially since the lighter engine leads to better handling on a relatively small front wheel drive vehicle like the TLX.
Sorry I should say the engine seems ok -- most seem to be complaining about the v6's power train, the 9 speed sounds really disappointing.

and sh-awd get almost no mention
Old 08-06-2014, 12:14 AM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugh9269
"But the 1 thing this car needs more than anything else is some gotta-have-it factor" per R&T

I think the R&T Review is the most honest on initial reviews. I think it summed just about everything I expected plus/minus and allot of the issues Acura has with its lineup in the last few years.

Again, these are all previews or first rides of early production models. A full review and comparison testing in the coming months will be the true verdict at least by the automotive press.

I never owned a 3G TL, but it will be very interesting what previous owners think after a few miles in their new TLX.
Whether you trust R&T more doesn't matter; it's just your personal feeling towards the article and what you personally chose to believe in. R&T's is only but one review among a dozen. So this (i.e. "it is not desireable") cannot honestly be the main takeway after reading all the reviews.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:17 AM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by bdwpac81
Did anyone notice that the 4-cyl in the AutoGuide video review had fog lights? I assume they were added for the press car model only... Sigh.
What do you mean? Fog lights are a dealer-installed option for the 4-cylinder, aren't they?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:27 AM
Racer

Well, with the V6 models receiving less stellar verdicts than the 4-banger, the drama is on the V6 now -- see "Acura screwed up the V6 and the "2nd gen" SH-AWD is nothing special" comment for example. There will be always this kinda people.

As a side note, I wonder what the reviews on the V6 models would be in the hypothetical scenario where Acura gives the reviewers only the V6 models to test. In other words, I wonder if the fantastic and surprising experience with the 4-banger just upped the expectations.

Last edited by dysonlu; 08-06-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jbawden
I still stand by my comments...'I' find it boring and uninspiring, but lots of regular people that drive to a from work on I-<fill in the #> will like this car. If you love driving and want a fun weekend car you'll do yourself a favor and look at some of the fantastic rear drive options out there.
How would you describe your experience driving one? What is a 4-cyl or the v6?
Old 08-06-2014, 12:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 595 Likes on 408 Posts
Originally Posted by guerdy
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/04/2...-drive-review/
This article was pleasantly positive. I was hoping for 0-60 closer to 5.5 seconds.

Engine: 3.5L V6
Power: 290 HP / 267 LB-FT
Transmission: 9-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 6.0 Seconds (est.)
Drivetrain: All-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 3,774 LBS
Wow she's a fat ass.

Strut suspension?

Hopefully they'll make it better in a few years.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:52 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by FamilyGuy
Wow she's a fat ass.

Strut suspension?

Hopefully they'll make it better in a few years.
Do you feel better now?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:21 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
I'll never understand why people pretend to be confused by the two screens - one is a touch screen for input and the other is a display. How hard is it to figure that out?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I'll never understand why people pretend to be confused by the two screens - one is a touch screen for input and the other is a display. How hard is it to figure that out?
it isn't! My Accord coupe has the 2 screen setup. It's so easy, even a caveman could do it.

It is much easier to use than the mouse system the Lexus has.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow AutoMotive.com

What It Is
A midsize luxury sedan for the practical and tech-oriented buyer.
Best Thing
Nimble 4-cylinder model, cabin is well-insulated from outside noise.
Worst Thing
Interior is a little too reminiscent of cars from the Honda brand.
Snap Judgment
The Acura TLX is the Goldilocks solution for a midsize sedan.
What happens when you combine 2 of your favorite ingredients into 1 blender? Either your drink becomes the next Orange Julius that people will enjoy at malls across the country, or the mixture turns a mysterious brown color and produces a decidedly ambiguous and unsatisfying taste.

Fortunately when Acura execs decided to combine 2 of their past models into 1 new car, they were onto something. This year, Acura announced it will replace the sporty-yet-unrefined TSX and the larger TL model with 1 single car: the all-new TLX. Its goal was to combine the best of both worlds with just the right exterior proportions as well as both fun and luxurious driving characteristics.

We had the opportunity to drive the new TLX in Virginia recently, and we found the new TLX offers a well-rounded driving experience. While it may not offer the thrills of some competitors, we think it is a good option for families, comfort-oriented buyers, or those looking for something fresh on the market.

Walkaround
Just like its predecessors in the Acura lineup, the TLX features sedate styling. It may not be as instantly recognizable on the road in the same way as a BMW or Mercedes, but it does have a certain captivating elegance. The 1st thing that immediately stood out to us was the standard jewel LED headlights, which have become a signature piece on Acura models and even some Honda products.

Compared to the outgoing TL, this model features a longer roofline and short rear deck for a sportier look. The TLX is also 3.7-inches shorter in overall length, but it still features the same wheelbase and tandem passenger seating distance as the spacious TL, so it doesn't sacrifice interior space. Thanks to the new proportions, the TLX looks significantly tighter, cleaner, and more athletic than previous models.

Sitting Down
Acura is known for its cars that feature a strong feature-per-dollar ratio, and the TLX is no different. Standard features on this model include power moonroof, rearview camera, push-button start, XM Satellite Radio, text message capability, Pandora, dual-zone climate control, heated power front seats, and HomeLink. Whether equipped with the standard leatherette or optional perforated leather seats, the Acura TLX keeps drivers pretty comfortable on long drives.

Still, it was hard not to notice how much Acura was borrowing from Honda on its interior materials. Lots of hard plastics on the dash and stiff door panels left us wanting a little more from this luxury brand. Our least favorite part of the interior was the shiny, faux wood paneling highlighted with shiny alloy accents.

Navigating around town was easy with the available navigation system. Like most systems, it comes with a learning curve, but we found that the maps were uncluttered and easy to view. The TLX comes with 2 screens, which may be new for some buyers. A 7-inch touchscreen allows drivers to control radio, volume, climate, places, and other categories through a series of menus. An 8-inch color audio screen displays navigation maps, audio information, and a rearview camera.

Driving
During our time in Virginia, we had the opportunity to drive 3 versions of the TLX. The 1st model, which carries a 2.4-liter with 206 horsepower, felt exceptionally nimble and light on the road. A 3.5-liter V-6 comes with 84 more horsepower, and although this seems like a big boost, we didn't perceive this engine feeling significantly more powerful than the 4-cylinder. We noticed the V-6 had a much more planted, heavier feel on the road, which some luxury buyers may prefer over the throw-around feel of the lighter car. Both these models have very responsive steering, thanks to Acura's Precision All-Wheel Steer technology, which allows the rear wheels to adjust toe angles independently of each other for increased maneuverability at low speeds and extra stability at high speeds.

We also drove the sole all-wheel drive option in the TLX lineup, which uses the V-6 engine. While we thought all the models featured a certain calculated drive feel, this model took things up a notch. Taking tight turns and corners in this model is a pleasure. While the four-cylinder model receives an 8-speed dual-clutch transmission, V-6 models feature an all-new 9-speed automatic transmission, which also provides for smooth and seamless shifting. However, V-6 models feature an electronic gear selector, using an array of buttons that either pull up or push down to change between gears. We found this less intuitive than the standard lever found in the 4-banger.

Those looking to buy a TLX shouldn't expect to pass BMWs in highway merging or impromptu stoplight races (we couldn't). But we think that more important is the TLX's exceptionally quiet cabin. Whether driving down the highway at high speeds or through back roads on a windy day, the TLX manages to keep what's outside away from the ears of the driver.

Summary
We can't pretend that there isn't a lot of competition in this space from a variety of different players. Buyers may cross-shop this model with everything from BMWs to Buicks in the very popular $30,000 price range. But we think the Acura TLX provides a unique combination of nimble handling, livability, and overall value that many buyers want. At the same time though, competitors from Lexus and Audi feature more differentiation between the mainstream brands they come from (Toyota and Volkswagen).

We will go out on a limb and recommend most value-oriented buyers select the 4-cylinder model. Although many buyers think of this as a compromise, we think of it as an advantage. Its exceptionally nimble drive feel, as well as its superior 24/35 mpg fuel economy rating, will please the lion's share of buyers.

Basic Specs
2.4-liter direct injection 4-cylinder, 8-speed dual-clutch transmission with torque converter, 2WD, 206-hp, $30,995, 24 mpg city/35 mpg hwy

3.5-liter direct injection V-6, 9-speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters, 2WD/AWD, 290 hp, $35,220, 21 mpg city/34 mpg hwy (2WD), 21 mpg city/31 mpg hwy (AWD)
The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
Acura_Dude (08-06-2014), internalaudit (08-07-2014), Stew4HD (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 06:07 AM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by dysonlu
Well, with the V6 models receiving less stellar verdicts than the 4-banger, the drama is on the V6 now -- see "Acura screwed up the V6 and the "2nd gen" SH-AWD is nothing special" comment for example. There will be always this kinda people.

As a side note, I wonder what the reviews on the V6 models would be in the hypothetical scenario where Acura gives the reviewers only the V6 models to test. In other words, I wonder if the fantastic and surprising experience with the 4-banger just upped the expectations.
I think that is somewhat the case. These guys drove each car for ~100 miles. Obviously the 4 cylinder + 8dct impresses right away - Jeff over at TOV was very high in his praise of that car. He also said that there wasn't much chance for him to really use or get a feel for the new SHAWD and how good it is or isn't. This is somewhat expected with all the new tech (9AT, safety) and three versions of the car. When more detailed reviews of each version come out we will get more of the story. I also think it's telling that Acura apparently didn't give these guys any track time - I haven't read about any - and they put relatively skinny Grand Touring tires on each version. Acura wanted this car to appeal to both enthusiasts and more mainstream buyers at the same time. That may sound like a shitty compromise but it's actually exactly what Acura needs to deliver. An enthusiast can upgrade the tires. A mainstream buyer can be happy with the performance already there.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:11 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow DigitalTrends

When it comes to most cars, the equation is simple: more money equals a better car.

When I go on a 1st spin, I usually try and drive the most expensive version of any given vehicle last. That way, I get to appreciate what the cheaper models have to offer before they are ruined for me by the sea of leather, power, and dollar signs further along the trim chain.

So when I started my day in the top-of-the-line TLX with its 3.5-liter V6 and Acura’s Super Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD), I was worried. It was a luxurious and refined car, but not as exciting as I had hoped. “If I feel this way in the best of the TLX, how was I going to handle the cheapest?” I wondered to myself.

Thankfully, the solution to this TLX conundrum is 1 that I wish I could use more often: spend less money.

An athlete like Tim Duncan

Acura used the phrase “red carpet athlete” to inspire its designers and engineers for the TLX. When it comes to performance the comparison, it’s a slam-dunk. However, instead of being an athlete like LeBron James, the TLX can best be compared to Tim Duncan.

So what is it like to drive Tim Duncan? Like the “big fundamental,” the TLX rarely delivers highlight reel excitement, but still delivers tremendous results.

In the top of the line TLX performance comes by way of a 3.5-liter 295 horsepower 267 pound-feet of torque V6. On paper this looks great. Under normal driving conditions, it lives up to the promise with silky smooth acceleration and a surprisingly good 21/31/25 mpg split.

But under harder driving, the Duncan comparison comes into full force. Instead of flying dunks, the TLX delivers layups.

Acura’s SH-AWD drive system may have torque vectoring that delivers miles of grip and surprisingly nimble handling, but the problem is that the system works almost too well. Going hard into a corner, I could get all 4 wheels to screech, as the car hung on for dear life. I didn’t feel, however, like I had much to do with it.

Driving the SH-AWD TLX can still be fun; it does handle well and have plenty of power. It is a bit antiseptic and passionless for my taste, though.

This wouldn’t be so bad but the V6-powered TLX is saddled with a 9-speed transmission. And 9 is just too many speeds. The car never seems to know what gear to be in. In non-sport mode, the transmission shifts too much. In sport modes it shifts too little. 1 answer is to use the steering wheel-mounted paddles to take control.

Thankfully, the other answer to this problem is to spend less money and get the 2.4-liter model with front-wheel drive and an 8-speed automatic. Not only is this set up lighter and eager for punishment, its 8-speed dual-clutch box is much quicker and more responsive.

Power from the naturally aspirated 4-banger may be just 206 hp and 182 torques, but the delivery is thrilling and it even sounds better than the V6. Not to mention an excellent 24/35/28 mpg split. So if the V6 model is Tim Duncan, the 4-cylinder is Chris Paul.

The 4-cylinder version – along with the front-wheel drive V6 – comes with Acura’s Precision All-Wheel Steering (P-AWS). At low speeds this system steers the rear wheels in the opposite direction of the front to improve maneuverability. To prevent this system from getting too twitchy at high speed, though, P-AWS reverses course at high speed and steers the rear wheels with the front.

The result of this system is a complete lack of torque-steer and a noticeable lack of understeer. Instead, the plucky front-drive TLX hangs onto the road like a terrified octopus. You heard it here 1st; it’s more fun to drive a terrified octopus than Tim Duncan.

Red carpet relaxation

Thankfully, whichever TLX buyers choose, it’ll live up to the “red carpet” part of Acura’s inspirational phrase.

Driving the SH-AWD TLX can still be fun; it does handle well and have plenty of power.
Building off the tech that Acura has already unveiled in its MDX crossover, the TLX is a dramatic improvement over its predecessors in terms of comfort and refinement. Thanks to triple door seals and liberal use of acoustic foam, the TLX is now probably the quietist and least harsh car in it is class.

To me, though, the ride is what really impressed. Thanks to adaptive suspension dampers on all 4 corners – not to mention over innovations that I understand even less – the TLX has an exceptionally smooth ride. The TLX could run over a pile of armadillos – not that I am recommending this – without waking up the baby in the backseat.

Beautifully, while the high-end model receives some exclusive amenities, like cooled seats, the $30,000 base car is still just as nice to ride in as its more expensive stalemates – or for that matter a $50,000 Lexus.

2 screens is too many

Unfortunately, while it is hard to find fault with the TLX’s comfort and refinement, the same cannot be said for the infotainment system. Acura has continued the unfortunate trend of installing 2 screens.

In the TLX 1 8.0-inch touchscreen with haptic feedback controls the audio and the climate systems, and another screen displays navigation, vehicle settings, phone, and – wait for it – audio controls. In fact, precisely the same audio information can be displayed simultaneously on both screens. I really want to make a joke about this, but it makes so little sense that I don’t even know what to say.

This duplication of function is mirrored elsewhere as the driver can choose from steering wheel controls, a “mouse”, and voice commands to interact with the AcuraLink infotainment.

There may be market research that shows that the multi-screen systems and multiple interfaces are what customers want, but personally I find it frustrating. It feels as if Acura didn’t have enough confidence in any 1 aspect of the infotainment system to let it shine, so it doubled down.

However, despite the 2 screens, Acura does at least deliver on the tech features – and for a reasonable price. The 4-cylinder model I drove came equipped with navigation, heated seats, Lane Keeping Assist, blind-spot monitoring, and a rearview camera with crosstraffic monitoring – all for just $34,000.

The complete package

For $44,000 the SH-AWD Acura TLX may be a good value. After all, for that money it comes fully loaded, while the similarly priced BMW 3 Series doesn’t even have a reverse camera.

So while the V6 TLX may be a great car for the sort of luxury buyer who doesn’t want their golf pants torn off by g-forces, it doesn’t quite live up to the performance side of the equation.

Thankfully, for those of us who want a classy way to arrive pants-less at the golf course, there is a solution. Not only is this solution more fun, but also it costs $10,000 less, and it’s the 2.4-liter TLX with front-wheel drive. Eat your heart out, penny-pinchers.

Highs

Extremely competitive, entry-level price
Quiet and refined ride
Above average gas mileage
Fun driving experience on entry-level model

Lows

Frustrating 9-speed gearbox on V6 model
Confusing 2-screen infotainment system
internalaudit (08-07-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 06:21 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Two basketball stars from my alma matter in this review (Wake Forest). Funny, the president's company car was always a TL.
The following 2 users liked this post by blacktsxwagon:
Acura_Dude (08-06-2014), wstr75 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 06:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
It just proves why the Camry is the top selling car in the US. Enthusiasts are the minority. But most forum regulars are enthusiasts.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjsC5:
Acura_Dude (08-06-2014), Stew4HD (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
All these great reviews of the 4-cyl are really making me want a 4-cyl Advance...
+1. Maybe they will see the light in a couple of yrs when I'm ready for a new car. I keep them for around~ 10 yrs. Otherwise I will have more data from the Sonata or 200C which looks very nice.
Acura_Dude (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Seems like the 4cyl is highly recommended by most reviewers comparing to V6 models. Acura is going to be hard press in keeping up with orders. I had ordered the V6 tech that was scheduled for delivery this week. I went back to the dealer yesterday and changed to 4cyl tech. It won’t be built until 8/15 for early September delivery. I will keep enjoying the TSX until.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I counted about 6.2 seconds. Not good enough for me but probably good enough for most. I think Acura will have a hit for the mass market. However, enthusiast will be left wanting for a bit more.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 AM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
Two basketball stars from my alma matter in this review (Wake Forest). Funny, the president's company car was always a TL.
Go Deacs! Wonder if a higher percentage of our fellow alums drive Acura/Honda,I.e. do brands & school affiliations have some degree of correlation? BTW, is that King Family Vineyards outside Charlottesville, VA where the TLX pictures were shot for the reviews?
Old 08-06-2014, 09:24 AM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Me thinks they are pushing the 4-banger because chances are they make more $$$$$ on it than the loaded v6 shawd's. I would actually guess they are loosing money on the top of the line v6's.

Ps. For the love of God! Please get those junior journalists off the screen and give the TLX to some senior automotive people who are old enough to have driven not only the 4th but the 1st , 2nd and 3rd generation of the TL! Otherwise those videos look like shills to me... Not too believable.

Last edited by Tonyware; 08-06-2014 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wstr75
Go Deacs! Wonder if a higher percentage of our fellow alums drive Acura/Honda,I.e. do brands & school affiliations have some degree of correlation? BTW, is that King Family Vineyards outside Charlottesville, VA where the TLX pictures were shot for the reviews?
I have often wondered that too. Wake certainly seems to be more of a Japanese luxury school.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
I don't like that review, not at all. It's almost like he didn't drive the car.

For one thing, you do notice P-AWS in everyday driving. Even on an Interstate ramp, you will notice that the car is neutral instead of pushing.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
I've been living with the setup for 8 months now, and it's not hard at all.

For one thing, the most used buttons on the bottom screen are going to be the ones you set up yourself (the audio presets and HVAC presets, that kind of thing).

When switching an audio preset, you can also use the jog on the steering wheel.

And what everybody seems to forget is that almost everything has an equivalent voice command.

It's a hell of a lot better than CUE and My Ford Touch or whatever it's called on the Lincoln.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Grandpa

Originally Posted by Tonyware
I would actually guess they are loosing money on the top of the line v6's.
Why do you think that, please?

The TLX is an all-American design and production, and it was geared to North American economics. They're making the right amount of money per car.

:-)

Now...I know they're fully capable of losing money if they believe that the market position requires it.

But it's going to be stranger vehicles than the mass produced TLX.

The famous example is that they lost money on every single homologation special ITR, in some years. They believed it helped their overall market position continuing to produce the car.

Dealers made money on the car, but Honda lost money on each homologation ITR that they sold.

0_0
The following 2 users liked this post by George Knighton:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-06-2014), dysonlu (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Racer

If you look at invoice prices, it looks like the exact opposite. Margins on a base 4-cyl are very slim, but rise quickly with higher trims
The following 2 users liked this post by blacktsxwagon:
BEAR-AvHistory (08-06-2014), Gen4MDX (08-06-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5th Generation Acura TL Reviews