5th Generation Acura TL Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:54 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Hugh9269
I have yet to see a really great review of a electrically controlled steering system, sport plus or not, even Porsche gets criticized these days. But maybe after a full test of the TLX, it might have exorcised those demons.
Same here. The sport settings reduce assist, but that doesn't change the inherent nature of EPS, which greatly reduces feedback unless it's tuned to provide it. This tuning must be difficult, because, as you say, even Porsche has been criticized for numb EPS, and the folks at Car and Driver -- who seem to care the most about this -- think Porsche does the best with it.

I've only liked two EPS systems I've tried, those in the Scion FR-S and the Focus ST. Neither provides lots of feedback, but the FR-S's provides some, and the Ford's is tuned for good on-center feel, which is often a problem with EPS. (The Focus ST gets a new steering rack for 2015, and I'm very interested to see how it does.)

By the way, the comment about the steering was in Edmunds, who said: "Although steering feel is decent, it doesn't have the precision of a 3 Series or even an Audi A4." So I guess the reference was to precision, not really feedback. That's odd, because linear response and accuracy -- which I think of as "precision" -- are often good in EPS systems, which is why some people like them despite the lack of feedback.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Honestly, this review couldn't have been better if it were written by Acura itself.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
Have they revealed the bolt pattern yet? I really hope they switched back to 5x114... so many more options!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by guerdy
http://www.autoblog.com/2014/08/04/2...-drive-review/
This article was pleasantly positive. I was hoping for 0-60 closer to 5.5 seconds.

Engine: 3.5L V6
Power: 290 HP / 267 LB-FT
Transmission: 9-Speed Auto
0-60 Time: 6.0 Seconds (est.)
Top Speed: 125 MPH
Drivetrain: All-Wheel Drive
Curb Weight: 3,774 LBS
Seating: 2+3
MPG: 21 City / 31 HWY
Base Price: $31,890
As-Tested Price: $45,595

I recently drove the Infiniti Q50s AWD Hybrid. The acceleration was unbelievable. The torque was amazing. I never floored the car because traffic did not allow. However I can definitely say that it was far faster than what the TLX would be able to manage based on the numbers below. I know the Infiniti has lots of electronic gremlins. It did feel a lot more refined than the G37 did. I did not experience some of the issues that many journalist complained about. I will say that has to be the most responsive steering I have ever felt. Not a lot of road feel but great directional response.
I recently test drove the Infiniti Q50s AWD Hybrid as well. The abundant amount of torque off the line completely changed my perception towards hybrid. It was actually able to hit 25mph in reasonably quick manner on the electric motor alone.

The steering was good, I had none of the problems that the magazine tester complained about, perhaps the software update did fix them. But that's where the good news stop.

The trunk is rather small due to the battery pack. It did not perform well in small overlap crash test. The TLX also got some nice features that I care about such as Auto-Hold, Remote Start, Knee Airbag, Torque Vectoring, Heated Windshield (Canada only).

After all, it was the first car off my shopping list. But the test drive left me an very memorable impression on that Instant Torque.
The following users liked this post:
guerdy (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like a good fit for me. I spent 6 years with an E46 325i, and while I appreciated the dynamics, I didn't care for the repair bills. And I really didn't push it hard enough to see a big difference with the RWD anyway.

I like the new Accord, but the Sport manual is just too limited in colors and options. The TLX seems like a nice step up. And if I'm going to give up driving a manual (not an easy thing to do), it would be for a dual clutch like this one. However, those 17" wheels have got to go.
Gen4MDX (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
damnit- look at those butt prints on the driver seats.
OMG. I remember the early 3G days.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
ggesq (08-06-2014), neuronbob (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
Ditto. I think they are missing an opportunity to get more sales.
Yeah, but they're probably incremental sales. 5-10%?

I have yet to see a really great review of a electrically controlled steering system, sport plus or not, even Porsche gets criticized these days.
This is true. I wonder if we need to wait till all the older reviewers age out? Is is possible that with time there will be a generation of reviewers who won't know the difference? "my uncle has a country place that no one know about... he says it used to be a farm before the motor laws..."
Old 08-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
I wonder if we need to wait till all the older reviewers age out? Is is possible that with time there will be a generation of reviewers who won't know the difference? "my uncle has a country place that no one know about... he says it used to be a farm before the motor laws..."
Funny, I had exactly the same thought today. This might be happening already, because electrically assisted steering is the norm, so reviewers have adjusted their expectations and review accordingly. I don't read as many complaints about EPS as I did a few years ago, so maybe they've just resigned themselves to the death of true steering feedback, and are just tired of griping. Hopefully, the reduction in whining is also due to improvement in EPS systems -- but I'm not reading many glowing reviews of steering feel either.
Colin (08-04-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Drifting

A few interesting comments from that Automobile Magazine article alone :

When we ask TLX project leader Mat Hargett why sales for the TL dropped off so precariously in the last generation, he answers with one word: "Styling."

Christopher Kipfer, the assistant large project leader in charge of powertrains for the TLX, says the torque converter takes the place of a dual-mass flywheel and thus doesn't add too much weight or complexity. Why not offer it with both engines? Kipfer says a conventional nine-speed still offers more of the refinement that V-6 buyers want. Indeed, the 9-speed shifts with the creaminess we've come to expect of ZF transmissions. He also admits that the 8-speed dual-clutch, in its current form, won't stand up to the 6-cylinder's torque. More problematic, it is not yet engineered to work with all-wheel drive. That means you'll have to opt for the V-6 if you want all-wheel traction...

Get your Kleenex out: no manual transmission will be offered. Hargett, who drives a TL SH-AWD with a stick shift, cries along with us but says there simply aren't enough buyers, pegging the take rate at about 2% for both the TL and TSX. It's hard to argue with numbers like those, but we protest nonetheless. The slick manuals in the TSX and TL were the last living links to the era when Acura offered some of the most engaging drivers' cars on the market.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rocketsfan:
a35tl (08-04-2014), BEAR-AvHistory (08-05-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
We need an I4 Advance. STAT. Don't understand the logic of leaving this out. Low take, yes, but at least give people the option to use the fancier nannies.

Otherwise, I am happy with the reviews. Sounds like the I4 is the one to get even without the extra power, given the driving experience.
CoquiTSX (08-06-2014)
Old 08-04-2014, 10:20 PM
Drifting

2015 Acura TLX review: Tech, refinement puts the new TLX within striking distance of the 3 Series

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...f-the-3-series

First, an interesting graphic from the article. Note the caption that reads "VCM and AWD Idle Stop do not function in Sport+".

The following is an excerpt from the above article ... read the entire article if you wish by clicking the link :

Room for improvement

Most of the disappointments with the TLX will be in the center stack and Acura’s shortsighted focus on driver only. Acura says for nine out of ten trips, only the driver is aboard. You’ll curse Acura’s failure to include a tuning knob, especially for moving among satellite radio stations or long playlists. To be fair, the excellent roller wheels on the steering wheel give the driver but not passenger control of tuning and volume. There’s only one USB jack in a car with room for five; that’s just plain dumb and it can’t be a cost issue, since Acura retains the CD player. (The USB jack does produce 10 watts, enough for a tablet.)
Want to heat or cool the front seats? Most cars have a button for that. With the TLX, you tap a seat button on the lower LCD, a new screen pops up, and you tap one-two-three times for max heat or cold. If you’re on a bumpy road, you may have to tap a couple more times to undo a missed finger tap. You get two 12-volt adapters, in the center stack and in the center console, but none for those occasional rear seat passengers. Neither of the TLX options, tech or advanced, includes a 120-volt adapter.

Acura continues its long-running scroll wheel mounted vertically in the center stack. It works well when you’re stopped; when you’re moving, you’ll prefer the scroll wheel on the console with a palm rest, as Audi, BMW and Mercedes use. Acura has had the scroll wheel for years and it hasn’t improved any with the disappearance of the shift lever as a sort-of arm rest.
That’s pretty much it for problems with the TLX other than Acura’s long-running simplified options and ordering system: base model, tech package, and advance package. Unlike Burger King, this is have-it-our-way marketing and it simplifies things for Acura and the dealers, less so for the person paying for the car. That used to be the logic of Asian automakers when cars spent a month in transit to the US. But the TLX is built in Marysville, Ohio, no more than three days away from any mainland US dealership – if Acura offered factory custom orders, as BMW does.

Should you buy the 2015 Acura TLX?

The new TLX is so good, you’d be crazy not to cross-shop no matter which compact sports sedan you’re initially considering. The main competitors will be the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti J50 (the former G37), Lexus IS, and the just-revamped Mercedes-Benz C-Class.
Some buyers will ding Acura for being a front-drive design, but precision all-wheel steer and super handling all-wheel drive take away some of the issue. Your choice may come down to cockpit amenities and technology. See if you’re annoyed by the reduced center stack button count and the cockpit control wheel with wrist support. Those are the biggest issues.
While base price is competitive, Acura wins over the German competition on price even more because it limits how many options you can buy. Add things like the head-up display, go for the turbo six engine, and you’re looking at a 3 Series well over $60,000. Among the current entry-premium compact sports sedans, the Acura TLX seems to match and exceed the competition except the 3 Series. (A new C-Class, not yet tested, is being launched simultaneously with the TLX, so my comparision is with the outgoing 2014 model.)
The cabin is super quiet, performance and handling are excellent, and the loss of 250 pounds and four inches of length make the car seem more sporting. To experience the best Acura has to offer, you want the TLX with the advance package that includes all the driver assists. At the least, get the tech package if you can live without adaptive cruise control and parking sonar (a cheap adder that could have been in the tech package). My suggestions: the four-cylinder TLX with the tech package that is good value and goes farther between fill-ups, at $36,000 with shipping, or the six-cylinder with all-wheel drive (SH-AWD) and the advance package, loaded, $46,000.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:37 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acura15
Sounds like a good fit for me. I spent 6 years with an E46 325i, and while I appreciated the dynamics, I didn't care for the repair bills. And I really didn't push it hard enough to see a big difference with the RWD anyway.

I like the new Accord, but the Sport manual is just too limited in colors and options. The TLX seems like a nice step up. And if I'm going to give up driving a manual (not an easy thing to do), it would be for a dual clutch like this one. However, those 17" wheels have got to go.
That was indeed the most ridiculous trunk I have ever seen. 9.2 cubic feet. Pretty much a deal breaker for me. I think the reason why we both did not experience. The steering woes was the fact that we did not have all the electronic nannies turned on. I did turn them on for a bit to test the lane keep assist and automatic. Cruise control. They both worked perfectly. I really hoped there would be a hybrid TLX offering. Now I'm afraid the added luxury if the Infiniti has me smitten. I will drive the TLX sh-awd and RLX hybrid before I take the plunge. Oh but that trunk is so ridiculously small.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:01 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by SL1200MK4
I recently test drove the Infiniti Q50s AWD Hybrid as well. The abundant amount of torque off the line completely changed my perception towards hybrid. It was actually able to hit 25mph in reasonably quick manner on the electric motor alone.

The steering was good, I had none of the problems that the magazine tester complained about, perhaps the software update did fix them. But that's where the good news stop.

The trunk is rather small due to the battery pack. It did not perform well in small overlap crash test. The TLX also got some nice features that I care about such as Auto-Hold, Remote Start, Knee Airbag, Torque Vectoring, Heated Windshield (Canada only).

After all, it was the first car off my shopping list. But the test drive left me an very memorable impression on that Instant Torque.
I agree that that was the most ridiculously small trunk I have ever seen in a mid size sedan. 9.2 cubic feet. It is almost a non starter. However, I have still smitten with the power, crazy direct steering, sumptuous luxury and creature comfort. I think the reason why neither of us experienced the steering issues is because we never turned all the electronic nannies on. I did turn the lane keep assist as well as automatic cruise on temporarily just to test them and found that both systems worked extremely well. I was really hoped there would be a TLX hybrid with the RLX's drive train. That would truly be a direct competitor to the Q. Unfortunately there isn't and I am really considering the Q. I will drive the TLX SH-AWD and RLX before I buy. I would really miss Acura's SH-AWD. Unfortunately the RLX is 10k more than the Q. I hope its worth it. I just don't like the look of that car. The hybrid looks a little better. I must say that Q made quite an impression. it wasn't just the acceleration but also the level of refinement. It was quite a step up from the G37 which I seriously considered buying before my 4G TL-SHAWD. The car felt sporty yet velvety over bumps and pot holes. The steering, on its quickest setting, was amazingly linear and responsive. I really really enjoyed that 45 minute test drive...oh but that trunk was so silly small...
Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Lightbulb Kbb

Sometimes less is more. In Acura's case, it is looking to replace 2 models with one, the sum being greater than the parts. The 2015 Acura TLX is that car, replacing both the TSX, a version of the European Accord that was somewhere between a compact and midsize model, and the TL, which straddled the gap between midsize and large. The new TLX is truly a combination of the 2, a midsize package that offers 2 entirely different powertrains designed specifically to appeal to those previous two sets of buyers as well as a whole new audience who may be shopping cars like the Lexus IS, Audi A4, Mercedes-Benz C-Class and Infiniti Q50.

The new Acura TLX rides on the same 109.3-inch wheelbase as the larger TL, but is 3.7 inches shorter in overall length at 190.3 inches. This more compact body is in line with other midsize models, while allowing the car to offer the same level of interior comfort. The TLX has a more fluid design with graceful character lines that flow front to rear. The face of the car has a more three-dimension look to the traditional Acura "mail slot" grille and the opening is flanked by a row of square LED lights. The TLX offers full LED lighting on all models and the face of the car has strong links to the upcoming 2015 Acura NSX sports car.

2 powertrain approaches

Beneath the hood are 2 different transversely mounted powertrains. The standard front-drive TLX comes with a 2.4-liter direct injected 4-cylinder engine making 206 horsepower and 182 lb-ft of torque. The engine is mated to the auto industry's first 8-speed dual clutch transmission that incorporates a torque converter for smoother launches than standard DCTs, while allowing faster shifts than a conventional automatic transmission. The combination is expected to deliver 24 mpg city/35 mpg highway (respective gains of 2 and 4 mpg) with a combined rating of 28 mpg.

Acura will offer 2 versions with V6 power. The 6 has a displacement of 3.5 liters with 290 horsepower and 267 lb-ft of torque. Both are equipped with 9-speed automatic gearboxes, but 1 will drive the front-wheels only, while the 2nd variant is equipped with Acura's Super Handling-All Wheel Drive (SH-AWD). The latter model features an all-new hydraulically actuated rear differential that not only improves traction, but also handling by using torque vectoring across the rear axle to help the car turn in more quickly.

4 wheel steering

The SH-AWD isn't the only technology improving handling on TLX models. The front-drive versions use Acura's Precision All-Wheel Steering (P-AWS) to increase dynamic agility and ease of low speed operation. When parking or tight cornering, the rear wheels steer in opposite phase to reduce the turning radius in the former and to sharpen turn-in in the latter. When braking, the rear steering will toe-in the wheels to provide additional stopping power. During lane change maneuvers, the rear wheels will steer in phase with the front axle for quick transitions.

By offering 3 versions of the TLX, 2 front drive models with either 4- or 6-cylinder power and a flagship 6-cylinder with all-wheel drive, there is something for everyone when it comes to the driving experience. The 4-cylinder model feels nimble, much like the previous TSX, thanks to its slightly lighter nose and the assist from the rear-steering system. The 8-speed dual clutch transmission, which has steering wheel-mounted paddles in addition to the conventional console mounted shift lever, is smooth, refined and quick in changing gears, further adding to the sporting flair of the 2.4-liter package, which has plenty of power for a car this size.

Even more refined V6

Step up to the V6 and the 2015 Acura TLX takes on a different demeanor. The additional power and the super smooth 9-speed transmission makes this model feel like a class-above luxury cruiser. The V6 is also equipped with cylinder deactivation to help improve fuel economy and employs active noise cancellation to keep noise levels in check with the engine operating on three cylinders. This system also provides additional dampening of road and tire noise that contribute to the car's quiet cabin. While all models have start/stop push buttons, the V6 versions also use buttons for the transmission, with a round one for drive, rectangular for park and a recessed square for reverse, which pulls back to engage.

All models are equipped with 4 driving modes-Econ, Normal, Sport and Sport+. In Econ, both the throttle actuation and transmission shifts are programmed to deliver maximum fuel economy. In addition, the climate control system is dialed back to reduce engine load and idle stop/start is engaged. Normal uses the baseline settings for throttle and transmission response, stop/start is engaged, however the climate control operates at normal levels. In Sport, the shifts and throttle response are more aggressive, stop/start is disabled and the steering has a higher effort. Sport+ will hold gears and adapts the shift logic to match the aggressiveness of throttle and brake inputs.

Advance and Tech packages available

With a base price of $30,995, the TLX 2.4-liter has a high level of standard equipment including 17-inch alloy wheels, 60/40 split folding rear seat, a rearview camera, keyless entry and start, and a standard center console touchscreen. The Technology Package, which adds $4,030, includes navigation with voice recognition, ELS Studio Premium Sound with 10 speakers, blind spot warning, rear cross traffic monitor, forward collision warning with car and pedestrian detection, lane keeping assist and perforated leather.

The 2015 Acura TLX V6 models start at $35,220; the Tech Package takes that to $39,250. The Advance Package, which adds another $3,250 includes adaptive cruise, ventilated front seats, road departure and collision mitigation, remote engine start and front and rear parking sensors. All TLX 3.5-liter models with SH-AWD come standard with the Tech Package at $41,450, while the Advance Package brings it to $44,700.

The all-new TLX marks a new direction in Acura's bid to recast itself as a more formidable player in the luxury market. It's a step in the right direction.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:17 AM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Tov

We recently had the opportunity to sample Acura's latest sedan entry, the Acura TLX. As the name may imply, the TLX supplants 2 sedans in Acura's lineup: the TL and TSX. The merging of these 2 lines made a lot of sense; in fact, after the 1st time I drove a 2nd generation TSX a little over 6 years ago, my 1st thought was that it should have been badged as "2.4 TL", as it had grown to the point where it was essentially the same size as the 3rd generation TL.

Now we no longer need to ponder the whys and whatnots of that, as starting this month we have a stylish new Acura sedan model offering 4-cylinder and 6-cylinder options. It's your choice of a 206hp 2.4L DOHC i-VTEC i-4 coupled to a superb 8-speed dual-clutch transmission (8DCT), or a 290hp 3.5L SOHC i-VTEC V-6, which is connected to an all-new 9-speed automatic transmission (9AT). Both engines feature direct injection and are offered in a front-wheel-drive configuration with Acura's Precision All-Wheel Steering (P-AWS) system, while you can opt for a Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD) option on V6 9AT models.

In typical Acura fashion, the TLX is offered in several trim levels (Base, Technology, and Advance), all of which are rich in features and value. The range starts at an enticing $30,995 for the base 4-cylinder and tops out at $44,700 for the top of the line V6 SH-AWD model with the Advance package. The 4-cylinder model tops out at the Technology trim level, while the front-wheel-drive V6 model offers all 3 levels, and the SH-AWD starts out at the Technology level. Fuel economy is listed at 24/35/28mpg (city/hwy/combined) for the 4-cylinder models, 21/34/25mpg for the V6 P-AWS model, and 21/31/25mpg for the V6 SH-AWD model.

As per the norm, the feature matrix is rather complicated, but basically the big step from the base to the Technology model includes Acura's Navigation System, Acura's incredible ELS Studio™ audio system, a bump from leatherette to a "milano leather-trimmed" interior, and a handful of active safety features (FCW, LKAS, LDW, BSI) . Stepping up to the Advance trim level buys a few more radar-based safety and convenience features (CMBS, ACC) along with ventilated seats, and some blingy items such as LED puddle lamps, LED fog lights, remote start, auto dimming exterior mirrors and a few other things. All trim levels get auto up/down windows at all 4 doors. The technology package hits the sweet spot in terms of value and content.

There really is a lot more to be said about what's new with the TLX, and we could literally go on and on for many paragraphs, but this is a "1st drive", so continue on to the next page to read our driving impressions.

Styling
You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression, and the styling of the TLX Concept made a very good 1st impression upon us. We certainly like the styling of the production TLX as well, but we can't help but feel like something was lost in the translation from concept to production form, and it seems like most of that comes down to the TLX's exterior finishing details. The concept's fundamental styling and pleasing proportions remain intact, but somehow the finished retail product has a bit of an "under-premium" look to it. It's not just 1 thing that spoils it - it's an accumulation of small things (such as not quite hidden exhausts, strange looking wheel/tire pairings, and just maybe, a bit too much Accord-ness). Again, we're not saying we don't like the styling, we're just saying it doesn't quite live up to what we had hoped for. And that gorgeous red color that was featured on the TLX Concept is nowhere to be found in the production color palette. Overall, the TLX is handsome and understated, but there is certainly some untapped potential.

Driving
The TLX shed some serious weight when compared to the comparable TL models (in fact, the SH-AWD TLX Advance only weighs 4 lb. more than last year's FWD TL Advance), so you can imagine that the dynamic performance has improved. That's not the only thing that improved. The TLX has made spectacular strides in terms of refinement. The body structure has made dramatic improvements in both torsional and bending rigidity, and Acura engineers have beefed up the suspension mounting points considerably. Add that to some serious upgrades in the soundproofing department (including Acura's 1st ever application of acoustic foam to 10 locations of the vehicle), and you have what may be the quietest, most refined Honda or Acura that has ever been offered to date. In the TLX, there is a fluidity of movement, a sense of 0 friction, a level of near silence and cabin calm that simply hasn't existed in any previous Acura models.

Last week, we spent over 300 miles driving and riding in all 3 trim levels of the TLX and came up with a preliminary order of preference. Below we list our experiences in order, starting with our favorite, the 2.4L model.

TLX 2.4L
Ever since the TSX debuted in 2003, we've always preferred it (if only slightly) to the TL. That's not to say that we thought the TSX was perfect - it has always felt underpowered to us, except in V6 form of course, but then that heavy V6 powertrain came at an untenable price as it pretty much spoiled the TSX's wonderful chassis feel.

Now we have a 4-cylinder engine that on paper is only slightly more powerful than the 2014 TSX's K24, but the latest iteration of the K24 is by far the most enthusiastic and energetic 2.4L 4-cylinder we've ever experienced in a Honda or Acura to date. This engine is paired with an absolutely superb 8-speed Dual-Clutch Transmission. We're not kidding when we say it is probably the best automatic transmission we have ever experienced. We have driven many cars with Dual-Clutch Transmissions (DCT) over the years, and the key drawback has always been their low-speed lurchiness. The torque converter that Honda added onto their 8-speed DCT was a stroke of genius. It's 1 of those things that makes you scratch your head and wonder why not a single 1 of the numerous automakers and OEM suppliers that trod down this path over the previous 10 years ever considered this solution. Bottom line, it works fantastically.

The car launches like a bat out of hell when you boot it, it upshifts and downshifts seamlessly and damned near instantly. The gear ratios are designed to get this car moving to freeway speeds with minimal effort and maximum expedience. The engine sounds great zinging through the gears, and during our limited time driving the TLX 2.4, we don't remember a single instance of hearing it strain. It's simply that good. During sporty driving, shifts are very quick and very crisp, with a small amount of shift feel intentionally engineered into the equation. At part throttle, in day-to-day cruising mode, the shifts are absolutely imperceptible, both in sound and in feel. The only indication is that you will see the tachometer make a nearly instantaneous step in rev count, plus or minus 500 rpms depending upon which way the shift went. Even though the car rides remarkably quietly, you probably won't be able to hear any of these variances in engine speed until you're up in the higher rpm ranges.

The 8-speed DCT operates as a fully automatic transmission in all 4 of the available IDS modes (Econ, Normal, Sport, and Sport+). You can manually command shifts via the steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. After some period of inactivity from the paddle shifters, the system will revert back to fully automatic mode, unless you're in Sport+. Sport+ operates in fully automatic mode until the 1st time you use the paddle shifters, and then it will remain in full manual mode until you actively defeat the manual mode, either by switching IDS modes, or by clicking the right (upshift) paddle and holding it for a second.

This sublime powertrain plugs into a chassis which carries just the right amount of weight on each axle - the car turns in intuitively and effortlessly traces the intended arcs through every manner of road. In this sense it feels a lot like a 1st generation TSX, except it's MUCH quicker. For something that rides as quietly and comfortably as the 2.4L TLX does, it certainly transitions better than seems reasonable. Ultimate grip is pretty good, but of course limited by the all-season tires and a mild degree of understeer.

That's all the good stuff. Could it be better? The answer to that depends upon what your needs and desires are. If you're looking for a super comfy commuter that gets great fuel economy, handles really well, and still has a high fun quotient when you want to open it up, this car might be perfect. If you're looking for something that's a little more serious in terms of "driving machine", then we can't help but think that Acura left quite a bit of room for a "Type-S" model to step in down the road. For example, even in the sportiest of IDS settings (Sport+) the steering still feels overboosted, a little slow in terms of ratio, and somewhat detached. The TLX's suspension strikes a good balance between ride comfort and handling, though it's clear that ride comfort takes priority. This bias towards ride comfort obviously takes some of the edge off of the feeling of responsiveness, though this suppleness doesn't seem to negatively impact forward progress by any tremendous degree. In this sense, the 2.4 TLX reminds us fondly of the original TSX - a machine which makes its maximum performance very accessible and effortless to the driver.

1 other thing we should mention is that the P-AWS system was essentially imperceptible, which is likely a good thing. It just works, and seemingly goes about its business without forcing its presence upon the driver. Side Note: the toe-control actuators used on the TLX utilize a completely new design that is 100% unique from the P-AWS system found on the Acura RLX, though they offer roughly the same degree of toe control (±1.8 degrees, to be precise).

TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
We were generally quite impressed with this version of the TLX, though we could certainly feel the additional weight of the V6/9AT/SH-AWD powertrain. The difference in weight between this model and the 4-cylinder TLX that we drove is around 280lb, but for some reason it felt like more than that. The additional weight of the V6 AWD powertrain was evident every time we asked this car to change directions - it simply didn't transition with the same effortless sensation as the 2.4L version. That's not to say that it was less capable than the 2.4L TLX, it just felt like its maximum performance was less accessible, to a degree.

If you don't care so much about turning, acceleration with the 290hp V6, SH-AWD, and all-new 9-speed automatic transmission is quite good, though honestly we thought the new powertrain and weight loss would result in a greater boost in performance than the 0.3 second improvement that Acura claims.

The engine makes nice sounds while pressed and always maintains its composure. The ZF-sourced 9-speed transmission is fantastic under acceleration, but when you need to overtake a slower moving vehicle or if you are looking for some engine braking we found that it may require a bit of forward planning. When cruising along at a steady speed, obviously the transmission will find its way to the highest possible gear (and it finds 9th quite frequently). At 70mph you will be turning well under 2000rpms in 9th, so obviously a passing situation will require a multi-gear kickdown. If you're dealing with a short passing zone on a 2 lane road, you will definitely want to gear down with the paddle shifters to anticipate the pass. Otherwise if you rely upon an automatic kickdown, it takes an extra heartbeat to kick down the 3 to 5 gears required to effect the pass. As for the latter issue concerning engine braking, a specific scenario I can describe was where we crested a hill at a fair clip, gained some speed as we descended the hill, and then tried to gear down with the paddle shifters to slow the TLX's descent as we approached a right-hander. The 9AT basically freewheeled as I frantically tried to call for sufficient downshifts to slow the car in time for a graceful corner entry. Ultimately I had to stab the brakes, as the transmission never downshifted quickly enough to effect an adequate level of engine braking. (Side note: If you are driving with IDS set in Sport+ mode, the transmission will automatically gear down as you apply the brakes, to assist in slowing down, and add to the "racy" feel of Sport+.) This situation presented itself multiple times throughout my drive. Which leads to the next issue.

We need stronger Brakes
For an everyday driver, the TLX has sufficient brakes, but under "sporty" driving circumstances, it's not difficult to generate enough heat to fade them fairly early in a spirited drive. And though this is being mentioned under the 3.5 SH-AWD comments, this criticism generally sticks with all 3 versions of the TLX. After an all-too-brief period of time where Acura engineers specified some reasonably powerful brakes on their cars, they seem to have reverted to the practice of the old days where the brakes were rather underpowered.

Unfortunately, with the 2015 TLX, the brakes just don't quite seem beefy enough for extended sporty duty. Effort levels are light, but that's not the main problem. The braking interface itself feels a bit flimsy, especially compared to the competing vehicles that Acura brought to the event (2014 Infiniti Q50, 2015 Lexus IS250, 2014 BMW 328xi). This is unfortunate as there was a brief period where Honda and Acura seemed to be taking braking system performance more seriously. Hopefully this will be addressed.

SH-AWD version 2.0
Acura's update to their Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive system performs as advertised. Responsiveness does indeed seem to be improved, particularly from a standing start. For example, upon departing our lunch spot, we had to make a left turn across a busy 50mph road, so I picked a gap in traffic, matted the throttle and it surged forward immediately, notching the rear end out to a slight degree as I cranked the wheel to the left, giving it a nice rear drive feel.

On the twisties, we didn't have a lot of opportunities to fully flesh out the system due to slow moving traffic, but the few times I was able to push a little harder, it felt similar to the previous generation SH-AWD system in that it felt like you had to overdrive the car a bit to get the maximum effect of the SH-AWD system. Unfortunately, this car will not make you completely forget that it is based on a transverse FF layout. The competitors Acura had on hand felt more natural, poised, and intuitive than the V6 TLXs on the winding roads.

With upsized 18" wheels, the SH-AWD TLX brings a bit more styling flair to the table than the 4-cylinder model. It also brings a serious jump in power and torque, on top of the traction benefits of the SH-AWD system. Ultimately, it will probably out-corner the 2.4 model as well, but from a seat of the pants feel, the TLX 2.4's additional athleticism and perfectly optimized powertrain is what nudges it ahead of the SH-AWD model in our book.

TLX 3.5L P-AWS
Yes, the front-wheel-drive 3.5L P-AWS comes in 3rd here, but that's not to say it's a bad car by any stretch. The key reason it's our least favorite is that it exhibits most of the things that bother us about high powered front-wheel-drive sedans. Too much weight on the nose + a lot of power means you will easily surpass the mechanical grip afforded by the front tires. This car is fine at a medium-brisk pace, but the chassis struggles to balance everything out when the corners tighten up. I would recommend this car if you are merely looking for a comfortable cruiser with lots of luxury and power.

Summary/1st Conclusions
Overall, Acura did a nice job combining the TSX and TL to create the TLX, while building upon the virtues that made the 1st generation TSX and 3rd generation TL so desirable in the 1st place. For those who generally favored the TSX, the TLX with the new 2.4L engine and 8-speed DCT is a really entertaining package, with unsurpassed levels of comfort and refinement. For those who loved the 3rd generation TL (and the 4th-gen TL SH-AWD 6MT), the TLX V6 brings new highs in refinement, efficiency, and driving enjoyment. The 1 thing that's missing from the TLX (and this could be a dealbreaker for a tiny fraction of the prospective customer base) is the availability of a 6-speed manual transmission.

We'd like to see 1 or more Type-S variants for the TLX. 1 possibility that piques our interest would be a 2.0L Turbo (borrowed from the upcoming Civic Type-R) version with SH-AWD and a 6-speed MT or a DCT of some sort. If the engineers could make this package feel as nimble and balanced as the TLX 2.4, we think it would make for an incredible luxury performance sedan. (Note: we will come back and add some photos soon)
The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
hadokenuh (08-05-2014), Stew4HD (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
The 2.4/DCT combo is getting lots of love!

Last edited by CheeseyPoofs McNut; 08-05-2014 at 07:32 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
Looks like I made a good choice with my 4cyl tech tlx choice
Old 08-05-2014, 10:01 AM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
These reviews are great.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

Arrow Road & Track

So far this year, 7 out of every 10 cars Acura has sold were SUVs. Yet in 2 days of talks with executives, product planners, and engineers, there was not 1 single mention of the MDX or RDX. Meaning: the trucks might rake in the sales, but it's Acura's sedans that matter. And none more so than the TLX.

1. We're still waiting for the Legend ...

We're sick of saying it, but Acura's naming scheme is a poor attempt at copycatting the Germans. It took Mercedes some 90 years to come up with a marketing-run naming scheme-and by that time, it had cemented its reputation as 1 of the world's premier automobile builders. Acura is a made-up brand, created by a marketing department—and it started out with the best name in the business: Legend. The company's new names (ILX, TLX, RLX), like its last ones (CL, TL, RL) are a nonsensical, jumbled alphabet-soup mess to buyers.

Enough, already, Acura: just put a Legend badge on this car so customers know what it is.

2. The TLX is 2 cars in 1

The TLX replaces both the TL and TSX. The TLX rides on a wheelbase identical to the larger TL, but is almost exactly halfway between the 2 older cars in its external dimensions. Inside, however, it has slightly less EPA interior volume than either—and the backseat is TSX-sized, with decent legroom but restricted toe-room under the front seats. It feels roomy back there since the front seatbacks are very low. The rear seat is 60/40-split, but the pass-through is disappointingly small, and the trunk, which measures between 13.2 and 14.3 cu ft, isn't enormous.

3. New engines, new transmissions

The powertrains look carryover, but they're not. Both the 2.4-liter 4-cylinder (201 hp) and the 3.5-liter V6 (290 hp) get direct injection, and both transmissions are new. The V6 gets a ZF-sourced 9-speed automatic that we've seen elsewhere—and though it's better here than in other applications, it's still not great. It uses an electronic shifter we 1st saw in the RLX, and it takes an eternity to engage drive, its shifts are clunky, and it's painfully slow to react to manual commands. The 4-cylinder gets Honda's own 8-speed dual-clutch automatic, which ingeniously uses a torque converter that allows for perfectly smooth launches. The DCT's shifter is conventional, and once in gear, it shifts both immediately and imperceptibly. It's not particularly quick at responding to manual commands (from the steering-wheel paddles) or at executing sudden downshift requests, but its smoothness is 2nd to none. There is, sadly, no manual transmission option—for a clutch pedal, you'll need the smaller ILX.

4. Ignore the X, unless it also says SH-AWD

Despite the "X" in its name, which typically connotes AWD, the TLX is a front-wheel drive machine with either the I4 or the V6. Both FWD models come with P-AWS, Acura's electric rear steering that helps agility, handling, and stability under braking. There is an SH-AWD all-wheel-drive option on the V6, which uses a smaller and more efficient differential to provide up to 885 lb-ft of actual torque vectoring across the rear axle. SH-AWD is, as always, astonishingly good at putting power to the ground and assisting in corners, and remains one of the best AWD systems on the market.

5. Superb suspension

The TLX switches to a strut-type front suspension, and the only drawback we can see is a big turning radius (despite assistance from the rear wheels, the turning circle grows over both the TSX and larger TL, both of which used double-wishbone front suspension.) In all other regards, the TLX's suspension is a high-point: it rides extraordinarily well, with perfectly controlled body motions and isolated impacts, and it remains mercifully out of its bump-stops in all but the worst bumps. Even then, the impacts are well-damped.

Both front-wheel drive models fall into moderate to severe understeer at their cornering limits—which is sometimes mitigated by the rear-wheel steering, and sometimes not. It occasionally feels as though the rear steering is a step behind, leading to a spooky transition from understeer toward more neutral behavior. The SH-AWD system, however, will send the TLX beautifully neutral, and the stability control computer won't rain on the sideways parade unless things get severely out of hand.

6. Terrible tires

All 3 models of TLX we drove were equipped with Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires that we absolutely hated. (Rated 26th out of 29 tires in its class on Tire Rack's user surveys, it seems we aren't alone.) They generate far too little grip and go limp once they approaching their limits, and they squeal far too easily. This isn't a track car—its brakes will be smoking after a single stop from 100 mph—but Acura is portraying the TLX as a sporty car and it deserves better tires. On the other hand, perhaps the low-grip tires contribute to the excellent fuel economy—it posts gains of 4 mpg on the highway compared to the four-cylinder 2.4, and the V6 beats the old TL by 5 mpg.

7. Hush hush

The cabin of the TLX is amazingly quiet. Wind noise doesn't become noticeable until over 100 mph, and road noise is hushed. The TLX uses active noise cancellation as well as conventional tricks, including expanding-foam insulation in the body. The optional ELS sound system lacks punchy bass response, but sounds fantastic with excellent imaging and beautifully crisp treble.

8. Distracting touchscreen

Replacing the previous TL's sea of buttons is a touchscreen that works together with the Acura controller and a 2nd screen. The multiple interfaces render the entire infotainment system confusing, made worse by illogical menus, inscrutable controls, and redundant displays. We suspect you'll get used to it over time, but the system is overly distracting and just a pain to use.

9. The driver assistance systems need ... assistance

The TLX has optional driver assistance systems that don't seem ready for production. Each of our 3 test cars experienced multiple false alarms on its forward collision warning system, beeping and flashing "STOP" in front of the driver for no reason whatsoever. A rear cross-traffic alert system was similarly acting like Chicken Little as we pulled out of parking spots, warning of cars that were a hundred feet away and not heading anywhere near us. The active cruise control wasn't able to smoothly follow a car in front (it continually and alternately applies gas and brake, which is great if you'd like your passengers to throw up) and accelerated far too slowly to keep up with traffic.

10. Multiple personalities, 1 clear winner

In lieu of having 2 separate sedans, the 2.4-liter TLX and 3.5-liter TLX are tuned very differently, aimed at very different customers. The 4-cylinder is vocal, engaging, and eager. Its transmission's shifts are lightning-fast, and the car is light on its feet. The TLX V6's responses, by comparison, feel dulled—and it requires upwards of 4000 rpm for the engine to come alive. The transmission's shifts are slurred and slow, and the suspension tuning is far softer and less responsive. The car feels far heavier and less agile, and no more refined. Everyone who drove the 2 models preferred the 4-cylinder by a substantial margin-and wished that Acura would make an SH-AWD model with that powertrain.

11. The bottom line

The 2.4-liter TLX, especially, hits the perfect compromise between luxury-car refinement and sufficient driver engagement. Despite the rear-wheel steering, it's not a particularly sporty car, and it's no dynamic competitor to rear-drive BMWs, Lexuses, or Cadillacs. That said, it's a quieter, smoother cruiser than a 3 Series, and it rides far better.

Though definitely an improvement over the TSX and TL, the TLX's styling is less love-it-or-hate-it and more … adequate. The multiple-segment headlights are perhaps the most controversial element, now that the buck-toothed grille has been toned down, but the rest of the car comes across as rather bland.

As usual, Acura excels at making a very good car, but doesn't deliver a slam-dunk on the desirability scale. The TLX will no doubt make a great travel companion, and the decision to offer 2 dramatically different personalities with the 2 engines was a brilliant move. But the 1 thing this car needs more than anything else is some gotta-have-it factor. And a name badge that won't confuse its customers.

The following 5 users liked this post by TSX69:
Acura_Dude (08-05-2014), Gen4MDX (08-05-2014), Legend2TL (08-05-2014), Nedmundo (08-05-2014), Stew4HD (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 12:20 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
seems like the ultimate combo is the one they didnt make. 4 banger with Sh-AWD.
The following 2 users liked this post by jiggaman:
Acura_Dude (08-05-2014), Gen4MDX (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 01:25 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 29 Posts
I think the reviews are summed up as "It's a nice car, drives nice, feels nice, but its boring looking and doesn't have a must have" option or desirability
Old 08-05-2014, 01:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by insanik
I think the reviews are summed up as "It's a nice car, drives nice, feels nice, but its boring looking and doesn't have a must have" option or desirability
That is what you take from the reviews? It is not desireable? I do not see that in the reviews at all.
dysonlu (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
9. The driver assistance systems need ... assistance

The TLX has optional driver assistance systems that don't seem ready for production. Each of our 3 test cars experienced multiple false alarms on its forward collision warning system, beeping and flashing "STOP" in front of the driver for no reason whatsoever. A rear cross-traffic alert system was similarly acting like Chicken Little as we pulled out of parking spots, warning of cars that were a hundred feet away and not heading anywhere near us. The active cruise control wasn't able to smoothly follow a car in front (it continually and alternately applies gas and brake, which is great if you'd like your passengers to throw up) and accelerated far too slowly to keep up with traffic.

Genesis and Lexus have the same problems with the adaptive cruise control. I don't know that any manufacturer has gotten this worked out yet.
Acura_Dude (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:17 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan

Get your Kleenex out: no manual transmission will be offered. Hargett, who drives a TL SH-AWD with a stick shift, cries along with us but says there simply aren't enough buyers, pegging the take rate at about 2% for both the TL and TSX. It's hard to argue with numbers like those, but we protest nonetheless. The slick manuals in the TSX and TL were the last living links to the era when Acura offered some of the most engaging drivers' cars on the market.
Wow 2% is low, much lower than I thought. I guess that's the going rate these days, and is even lower than the 5% expected take rate estimated for the 4G TL 6MT when it was first released.

I suspect the TL 6MT will be a collector's item for enthusiasts.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I guess I am starting to think I'll go with a 4 cylinder instead of the V6. Afterall, the TLX is only a fun car for me to drive around and go cruise the strip in town. I don't need a V6 for that and I like the idea of getting a shifter rather than a push bottom for the tranny.

I still have my eyes on the 2.4ILX though...man that would be a fun little car too although not as sophisticated as the TLX.
Acura_Dude (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Wow the review says it's quieter than the 3 series which is something. I drove a new 3 series before and it was very quiet. The TLX is even quieter? Lol good job Acura! Finally able to produce quiet luxury vehicles.
Acura_Dude (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:45 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Sounds like the 4 banger is the choice amongst most critics, interesting.
Acura_Dude (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 02:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope they can post the specs of the test like 0-60 and db levels.
Old 08-05-2014, 03:46 PM
David_Dude

Received 581 Likes on 515 Posts
Old 08-05-2014, 04:08 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nedmundo
Same here. The sport settings reduce assist, but that doesn't change the inherent nature of EPS, which greatly reduces feedback unless it's tuned to provide it. This tuning must be difficult, because, as you say, even Porsche has been criticized for numb EPS, and the folks at Car and Driver -- who seem to care the most about this -- think Porsche does the best with it.

I've only liked two EPS systems I've tried, those in the Scion FR-S and the Focus ST. Neither provides lots of feedback, but the FR-S's provides some, and the Ford's is tuned for good on-center feel, which is often a problem with EPS. (The Focus ST gets a new steering rack for 2015, and I'm very interested to see how it does.)

By the way, the comment about the steering was in Edmunds, who said: "Although steering feel is decent, it doesn't have the precision of a 3 Series or even an Audi A4." So I guess the reference was to precision, not really feedback. That's odd, because linear response and accuracy -- which I think of as "precision" -- are often good in EPS systems, which is why some people like them despite the lack of feedback.
Audi makes fine cars, but it is always lambasted for lack of 'feel' in most all of their models. I test drove a A4 Prestige last year and agree. BMW took a major step back with the 3 Series F30 as well. That doesnt bode well for the TLX at this time in comparison. These systems are still new and being worked out by most manufacturers, I am sure the TLX will be fine tuned over model year changes. I think based on your term precision and the weighting between modes, most TLX buyer will still be happy.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Racer

Two mistakes i see on the build sheets on the Acura TLX website. It is a mistake the remote start is only available on the top of the line, TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT with Advance Package. Front & Rear parking sensors as well.

These are inexpensive options on some economy cars, they should be available. They are even available on the Honda Accord.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Two mistakes i see on the build sheets on the Acura TLX website. It is a mistake the remote start is only available on the top of the line, TLX 3.5 V-6 9-AT with Advance Package. Front & Rear parking sensors as well.

These are inexpensive options on some economy cars, they should be available. They are even available on the Honda Accord.
I agree it's stupid but honestly don't think they are mistakes (per Acura). Their high volume seller will be the 4cyl model. Having some exclusive features only available on the top of the line model will help with the sales overall.

Ventilated seats is also one of them.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:11 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb TorqueNews

We believe that Acura TLX will not only elevate the brand to new highs, but change how you and the auto industry measure economy driven performance. TLX is a giant killer.

Acura has ventured back into the auto industry's most popular sedan segment with something that’s so new that Audi, BMW, MB, Lexus, Infiniti and others will be compelled to emulate the ergonomic driven driver and passenger accommodations, superior handling tech-rich safety and personal connectivity features of the 2015 TLX.

Replacing Acura’s outgoing TSX and TL, TLX puts a new spin on mid size driving performance, via world class safety through electronic accident avoidance and superior road handling and braking.

We covered the comfort features of TLX in yesterday's article. We, were accused of writing a PR piece for Acura without “measurable” data. That comment was most likely from 1 of my fellow automotive journalist at Motor News, or 1 of the many dot coms covering the most exciting car to come out of Acura in decades. (Oops, there I go again.) You will find the specs here.

Today Torque news reports on the engine, drivetrain and technical side of the innovative 2015 Acura TLX 2.4L i_VTEC 4 cylinder with P-AWS, the TLX 3.5 liter SOHC normally aspirated V6, 9 speed transmission with P-AWS and the top of the line 3.5 liter V6, 9 speed with SH-AWD and full tech package.

2015 Acura TLX: Acura’s auto industry transformer. There’s nothing else like it on the road today. From the entry level 206 horsepower, double staged intake and direct fuel injected 4 cylinder, 8 speed, paddle shifted pocket rocket, to the very refined sport- luxury environment of the 290 horsepower, 9 speed, V6 sport touring SH-AWD, torque vectoring, 4 wheel steering Euro-sedan; Acura sets a new benchmark in the sport sedan segment.

Yes, I said Euro-sedan…

TLX is offered in 7 variants. We refer to it as an automotive transformer, simply, because it’s effectively 2 cars in 1. Hi tech sport sedan meets refined entry level luxury cruiser.

The drive

Tuesday morning weather in West Virginia was perfect for pushing the TLX through its paces. Acura kindly provide Torque News with a 270 mile run through Virginia horse and wine country, over a road course consisting of country 2 lane, city and highway driving. We would rotate 3 pre -production variants of the TLX between 2 drivers. Acura did a stellar job of insuring that each driver was given adequate drive time in all three variants provided.

We begin our test drive in the 2015 TLX V6 SH-AWD with Tech Package.

Acura Acronyms: SH-AWD = Smart Handling All Wheel Drive. The story begins here, but we’ll digress a bit as we revisit the cabin of TLX. While the exterior of the TLX is sized to slide between the exiting 2014 TL and 2014 TSX, Acura has retained exceptional class leading interior spaciousness and ergonomic driven driver and passenger comfort in the TLX.

In entering the car 1 realizes that nothing in the entry level premium sedan segment can touch the interior proportions, fit and finish of TLX. But enough already, let’s get to the road characteristics of Acura’s game changer.

Through the wizardry of Acura engineering, Project leader Mat Hargett, Brian Hourt, Chris Kipher and Dan Powderly have accomplished what other automotive development teams only aspire to do; they’ve reinvented the Acura sport sedan.

We could write a book on the upgrades and component changes that have lead to the exceptional driving experience afforded the keyless entry fob holder of the TLX, we don’t have enough cyberspace here to do so.

Automotive engineering drives it, but “form enables function” in the all new TLX.

Upon pushing the (keyless) ignition button on TLX, 1 is treated to a pleasant V6 emited melodic note, a promise of things to come. As with all Honda developed engines, the normally aspirated Acura aluminum block V6 is rev-happy. There’s no performance-lag based disappointment present in the TLX. Acura has installed a (modified) Mat tells us it’s a new block designed for Acura, 3.5 Liter SOHC i_VTEC direct injected V6, maried to an all new, lighter and smaller 9 speed automatic transmission, with paddle shifters.

Unlike our recent driving experience in the exiting 2014 TL, the paddle shifter worked flawlessly in the TLX. There’s no shift lever in the TLX. the driver selection is sent to the 9 speed transmission via buttons and toggles on the TLX V6 front or AWD variant, they work exceptionally well.

Leaving the Salamander resort, we noted the noise level in the TLX cabin to be bordering on nil. This car is so quiet in normal drive mode that 1 can hear their own heartbeat. While that can be a bit unsettling, our test mule came equipped with a state of the art ELS premium audio system with 10 speaker. The acoustics in the cabin is exceptional, stereo? infinitely adjustable through strategically placed speakers. Rich sound, we turned it off. We were here to drive.

Keeping it simple

Acura engineering has incorporated all wheel steering and all wheel drive in a midsize sport sedan that blows the collective doors off of the competition. While BMW and Infiniti may offer more horsepower in this segment, the high performance, direct injected, normally aspirated V6, mated to the state of the art 9 speed transmission, all wheel steering and AWD of the TLX takes the overall advantage in performance and comfort. Note: Ergonomics and cabin space of the TLX is superior in its segment.

We discover athletic road manors via Acura TLX geometry.

Acura engineering has hit a home run with the TLX. By shortening the overhang of this sedan, tweaking the body line, thus bringing the car closer to the ground, Acura has accomplished the lowest wind resistance in the class for class leading fuel efficiency. While TLX may share pan and wheel base dimensions with Honda’s award winning Accord, that’s where the similarities end.

We’ve been reassured by TLX senior project leader Mat Harget, that TLX is new from the ground up. Even the tire rubber has been compounded specifically for Acura TLX. Friction reduction and drag coefficient compliments the drivetrain superiority of Acura’s proprietary SH-AWD. Add to this coefficient state of the art multi phase suspension dampening and what Acura refers to as brake actuated torque vectoring (think manual transmission downshift with a twist,) you end up with a car that handles exceptionally well on the twisty downhills.

We pushed the TLX as hard as we could and didn’t lose it.

With apologies to Acura we must admit that we had the V6 TLX airbound more than once, this is not a small car. In sport mode the TLX takes on the personality of a race prepaid Acura TLX GT. This car is sticky, responsive and handles well when driven aggressively. We found ourselves backing off of the loud pedal more than once while grinning ear to ear. While TLX performs well in all drive modes (didn’t care much for economy) where it really shines is on a country 2 lane in sport mode.

You’ll find the driving mode toggle positioned below the drive button on the center console. We found the placement of the (IDS) to be a bit clumsy(eye’s off of the road) and distractive. but it worked well.

Acura SH-AWD enables dead- on tire tracking and engine torque transference through computer activated traction slip sensors. It’s a bit more complicated than that, you can watch the torque transfer via TLX’s dash mounted touchscreen monitor. But from the driver’s seat (the best in the industry) the shifting of torque is seamless. Think Slot Car Track, that’s how well TLX tracks the road. For highway driving, simply transition from sport to normal or economy mode with the flip of a switch. In economy mode the TLX V6 is turning at 1500 rpm @ 70 mph. That’s the same running speed of most turbo diesels.

How’s the mileage home boy? Frankly, it was so exceptional that we pulled out a calculator to confirm the dash reading.

24.7 mpg noted under real world, extreme driving conditions.

We pushed the TLX as hard as we could short of breaking it. Countless rabbit starts, hard downhill braking and acceleration. 6 second freeway onramp blasts. We had our test mule approaching 110 mph on a 2 laner (not recommended,) and yet on this real-world road test we detected no brake fade, power lag, drive-by- wire delay or launch and landing corrective side sway or squirreliness.

Our confirmed average mpg indicates highway commute economy approaching 33 mpg. That’s in a performance V6. Acura claims an average mpg of 35 from the 2.4L TLX. We’ll share our views on that car Wednesday.

Thanks for reading. Your thought provoking comment is always welcome here.

The following 3 users liked this post by TSX69:
JM2010 SH-AWD (08-05-2014), Stew4HD (08-05-2014), weather (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 05:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
That is what you take from the reviews? It is not desireable? I do not see that in the reviews at all.
"But the 1 thing this car needs more than anything else is some gotta-have-it factor" per R&T

I think the R&T Review is the most honest on initial reviews. I think it summed just about everything I expected plus/minus and allot of the issues Acura has with its lineup in the last few years.

Again, these are all previews or first rides of early production models. A full review and comparison testing in the coming months will be the true verdict at least by the automotive press.

I never owned a 3G TL, but it will be very interesting what previous owners think after a few miles in their new TLX.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:52 PM
Suzuka Master

TSX69.... Thanks for posting!! I am so not used to reading such glowing reviews for an Acura product that I almost had to pinch myself a few times. (then moved on to spank myself...*lol*).

In all seriousness, this is getting me excited about the TLX.....I can't wait to see it in person and test drive this puppy!
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
Stew4HD (08-05-2014), TSX69 (08-05-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 05:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
TSX69.... Thanks for posting!! I am so not used to reading such glowing reviews for an Acura product that I almost had to pinch myself a few times. (then moved on to spank myself...*lol*).

In all seriousness, this is getting me excited about the TLX.....I can't wait to see it in person and test drive this puppy!
Me too my friend, me too! I read these very decent reviews and want to drive one, now! I have to wait until they get some cars in town!

The worst I've read is that the car is "good but not great".. I'll take that
Old 08-05-2014, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Ditto. I am likely not going to be getting mine until next spring but my TL is going back to the dealer in September and will be down to 2 vehicles instead of 3. GIven I don't drive much in the winter, might as well save 7 months of car payments/insurance and enjoy the new car smell next spring
Old 08-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Sooo, why would anyone now buy an ILX over the 4 banger TLX?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ People that want a manual vehicle....
Old 08-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Tonyware (08-05-2014)

Quick Reply: 5th Generation Acura TL Reviews