5th Generation Acura TL Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Saw the TLX up close at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. Was underwhelmed. Reminded me a lot of the new Accord. Tail lights remind me of a 5 year old Camry and the beak is as bad as ever on this model. Looks like they borrowed the reflectors on the rear and shape of the fog light area from the current TL. As nice as this car may be mechanically, it's just a boring, mundane design. Worse in person than the pics online.
The following users liked this post:
weather (05-07-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 11:03 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by CJinNOLA
Saw the TLX up close at the New Orleans Jazz Fest. Was underwhelmed. Reminded me a lot of the new Accord. Tail lights remind me of a 5 year old Camry and the beak is as bad as ever on this model. Looks like they borrowed the reflectors on the rear and shape of the fog light area from the current TL. As nice as this car may be mechanically, it's just a boring, mundane design. Worse in person than the pics online.
This is what I was afraid.

I ask again, why would Acura tease us with a nicely spiced prototype model in its commercials and website, and give us watered down bland tasteless sauce?

I still have not gotten an answer.
dwest1023 (07-16-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
^To save room for the TLXS, we're hoping anyway. FWIW, doesn't appear to be off the table, question is how long before we know and then when does it arrive?
Old 05-09-2014, 07:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
^To save room for the TLXS, we're hoping anyway. FWIW, doesn't appear to be off the table, question is how long before we know and then when does it arrive?
Unlike BMW where an M version of the car coming out is the obvious, Acura NEEDS to disclose that they are coming out with a S version (or what ever nomenclature they want/decide to use) so that those that may stay if there is know without wasting years to find out.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ I agree.....Just make an announcement that its coming. You don't have to show the car, I mean we have known about the NSX for 3 years now...what big corporate secret would it be to reveal that someone understands what enthusiasts want...before we ALL jump ship and make Acurazine irrelevant.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
...before we ALL jump ship and make Acurazine irrelevant.
lol. If it didn't happen when that abomination of the 4G was introduced I doubt it will happen now. Most former owners stick around AZ in the Off Topic section of the forum.
The following 4 users liked this post by ggesq:
gatrhumpy (08-01-2014), Goosew (05-09-2014), Healingduck (07-05-2014), weather (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ *LMAO* That was actually quite funny!! Thanks for starting my weekend on a good note
ggesq (05-09-2014)
Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by ggesq
lol. If it didn't happen when that abomination of the 4G was introduced I doubt it will happen now. Most former owners stick around AZ in the Off Topic section of the forum.
Hey, there is only so much a man can take. Then have been letting many of us down for far too long. Pretty soon OT will be the only place with members in it.
ggesq (05-09-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 06:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Arrow MotorTrend

Acura has eliminated the TL and TSX from the lineup for the 2015 model year, replacing both cars with the 2015 TLX. Since 2007, Acura has had problems surmounting the love-it-or-hate-it attitude toward its contemporary angular design language, and it appears the TLX is carrying a more refined interpretation of that look. The styling of the TLX appears to be tamer, but how does it stack up against its predecessors, the TL and the TSX?

From the front, things are already looking better. The polarizing “beak” is less pronounced, giving it something the pre-refresh version of the 3rd-gen TL desperately needed: restraint. When the front ends of the TLX and TL are compared side by side, it is evident the TLX carries more influence from the outgoing TL than it does from the TSX. The bottom of the front clip is an evolution of the one found on the TL, with horizontal slats integrated with grille inserts around the interior of the foglight scoops. Speaking of lights, the TLX receives Acura's "Jewel Eye" LED headlight treatment, which looks much slimmer and sharper compared to the lamps on both the TL and TSX. Overall, the TLX looks more athletic. The TLX is noticeably less bulky compared to the TL, which is to be expected with a 3.8-inch loss in overall length, now measured at 190.2 inches. Compared to the TLX, the old TL appears wider and more bloated. With this slight reduction, the TLX attempts its best impression of the smaller TSX.

From the side, the new TLX appears less slab-sided than the TL. A groove accentuates the bottom of the door, with another sweeping flourish toward the top, lending a more fluid design dynamic that resonates with the similar design found on the hood. The shape of the windows tapers off into a point toward the rear, a sharper profile than what is found on both the TL and the TSX.

1 of the greatest improvements made to the TLX is its completely revised rear. Lines have been softened and evened out, taking a more conventional approach.

The interior styling of the TLX also receives a boost over both the TSX and TL. The reserved color scheme of aluminum and leather is still present, but the center stack is slimmed down, cleaned up, and more organized. The TLX appears to wear its tech more gracefully, with the integrated screens and buttons blending more organically. If you spring for the V-6 trim level, the center console receives a handsome touch-button gear selector for the nine-speed transmission. So, has Acura succeeded in their attempt to clean up its design language and model range with the introduction of the TLX? Let us know if the new car is Refreshing or Revolting in the comments below.
Legend2TL (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
I like it in those pics, assuming they avoid further delays and get it to market- otherwise, people are going to lose interest. Right now, Acura has nothing that interests me- this will, but I want to see it in person.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

It's pretty crappy how much they exaggerated the lines on the hood in this pic (liars). They DO NOT look like this in real life. That was the one thing I thought I loved about the car, but they don't exist. lol

In real life they are smooth and you can barely see them... depends on the lighting.
mindanalyzer (06-23-2014)
Old 06-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
The interiors shots tell me I like the 4G TL steering wheel and will miss it, one of the best steering wheels I have had in any car.
Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82
It's pretty crappy how much they exaggerated the lines on the hood in this pic (liars). They DO NOT look like this in real life. That was the one thing I thought I loved about the car, but they don't exist. lol

In real life they are smooth and you can barely see them... depends on the lighting.
As a matter of fact ALL of the "pictures" of the new TLX are actually renderings that over-emphasize all of the attractive dramatic elements. So when you have those renderings next to actual photos of the TL/TSX of course the former models look bland and boring compared with the imaginings of the TLX.
randomRon82 (06-24-2014)
Old 07-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks pretty clean so far.....
Old 07-04-2014, 03:20 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CJinNOLA

Man, that's not good at all.
Old 07-04-2014, 04:41 PM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
When are car magazines going to start test drives and write real reviews? I thought usually they would of had there hands on them by now if there gonna be at dealers in a month?
Old 07-04-2014, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by komplexZ
When are car magazines going to start test drives and write real reviews? I thought usually they would of had there hands on them by now if there gonna be at dealers in a month?
Lead times for these media events used to be one or two months in advance since the monthly magazines needed time to go to press. These days everything is online and the times are down to a week or two.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:58 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
The interior looks nice but man I can't stand open cup holders! They just look so unclassy!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm very curious to see the reviews for the TLX, more specifically in 4 cylinder trim.

I'm the type who is always in the market for a new car, and I really want a premium badge but can never justify spending the cash to make it happen because I have a 2010 Fusion with a metric ton of features. The TLX seems to have upgraded features and capabilities and a good price.

As far as the power (or lack thereof) goes...I need to see the reviews, along with how it handles. Based on rumored 0-60 times it will put it around a 7.1 second 0-60, which is right in BMW 320i territory, and with the Tech package, you're looking at about $10k less for the TLX feature for feature...and that's not including xDrive for the 320i (which would be necessary for me because I live in the snow belt). Heck, feature for feature it's priced right there with the Fusion Titanium, which is incredible to think about. And it has P-AWS.

I hated the jewel LEDs on the RLX but I think Acura designed them much better in the TLX. I actually think the car is pretty sleek. It's aggressive but not boy racer-y.

I want to read reviews about how P-AWS works in the TLX. If it can make torque steer nonexistent then Acura may have a real winner on its hands.

Plus, it's built in Ohio, which I like as a native Clevelander. My left brain, right brain and heart always fight each other in my desire for a sport sedan. This one may check all the boxes.
Old 07-16-2014, 01:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MikeAmmo
I want to read reviews about how P-AWS works in the TLX. If it can make torque steer nonexistent then Acura may have a real winner on its hands.
It certainly won't do anything to mitigate torque steer. However, it's not as if torque will be a huge issue with the 4 cylinder, regardless of the multiplying effect of the torque converter.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
Lead times for these media events used to be one or two months in advance since the monthly magazines needed time to go to press. These days everything is online and the times are down to a week or two.
Agree the C&D Lightning Laps was run last month @ VIR for the October Issue.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
I'm very curious to see the reviews for the TLX, more specifically in 4 cylinder trim.

I'm the type who is always in the market for a new car, and I really want a premium badge but can never justify spending the cash to make it happen because I have a 2010 Fusion with a metric ton of features. The TLX seems to have upgraded features and capabilities and a good price.

As far as the power (or lack thereof) goes...I need to see the reviews, along with how it handles. Based on rumored 0-60 times it will put it around a 7.1 second 0-60, which is right in BMW 320i territory, and with the Tech package, you're looking at about $10k less for the TLX feature for feature...and that's not including xDrive for the 320i (which would be necessary for me because I live in the snow belt). Heck, feature for feature it's priced right there with the Fusion Titanium, which is incredible to think about. And it has P-AWS.

I hated the jewel LEDs on the RLX but I think Acura designed them much better in the TLX. I actually think the car is pretty sleek. It's aggressive but not boy racer-y.

Plus, it's built in Ohio, which I like as a native Clevelander. My left brain, right brain and heart always fight each other in my desire for a sport sedan. This one may check all the boxes.
You do realize the 4 cylinder IS NOT AWD, which you indicate you need being in the snowbelt. SHawd is optional with the v6 only.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tsturbo
You do realize the 4 cylinder IS NOT AWD, which you indicate you need being in the snowbelt. SHawd is optional with the v6 only.
Yes. But the 4 cylinder is FWD, not RWD. AWD is a must for a RWD-based sedan, not so for a FWD.
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeAmmo:
Gen4MDX (07-16-2014), kurtatx (07-17-2014)
Old 07-16-2014, 10:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 159 Likes on 100 Posts
Yes. But the 4 cylinder is FWD, not RWD. AWD is a must for a RWD-based sedan, not so for a FWD.
Ok got it, wasn't sure if the BMW was fwd or rwd as I don't follow BMW boards and I couldn't find out that info browsing their website. I wouldn't ever own a BMW so I don't research much about them.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
On another note, I am wondering how the headroom will be on this model. The 3G and 4G were fine for me. The Accord Coupe I am in atm barely makes it.. my hair brushes the headliner too often and that is with the seat reclined as far I can comfortably go. I am not complaining but do enjoy having more clearance.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
On another note, I am wondering how the headroom will be on this model. The 3G and 4G were fine for me. The Accord Coupe I am in atm barely makes it.. my hair brushes the headliner too often and that is with the seat reclined as far I can comfortably go. I am not complaining but do enjoy having more clearance.
The only way to really tell is by trying it out yourself in a seating position you're comfortable with. The empirical numbers can say anything, but the actual feel may be different.

If you haven't seen the video yet, Mat Hargett shows how well he can fit into the car despite the fact that he's 6'8" (of course, I'm guessing the front seat is sitting on top of the back seat for him to get comfortable... lol) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yvPk...etailpage#t=45
Stew4HD (07-17-2014)
Old 07-18-2014, 12:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Exclamation update

FYI, according to Chuck Schifsky on twitter, Motortrend will be driving the TLX on the week of 7/28... also "embargo on driving impressions lifts 8/4 so Motortrend should post then."
The following 7 users liked this post by randomRon82:
Colin (07-18-2014), Gen4MDX (07-18-2014), Nedmundo (07-18-2014), neuronbob (07-18-2014), ostrich (07-31-2014), Rocket_man (07-19-2014), Tonyware (07-18-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by randomRon82
FYI, according to Chuck Schifsky on twitter, Motortrend will be driving the TLX on the week of 7/28... also "embargo on driving impressions lifts 8/4 so Motortrend should post then."
Jeff at TOV echos this, although this is the first I've heard of the embargo date. End of the month drives with stories to follow soon after. Definitely a compressed timetable to manage embargo busting sites.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:08 PM
Safety Car

Lightbulb Torque News

A tall order but Acura engineering has achieved something that automotive manufacturers can only hope to achieve. They’ve set the new manufacturing benchmark for a very competitive automotive segment. The 2015 TLX will change the way you perceive economy driven fuel economy, luxury and performance.

prom·i·nence
the fact or condition of standing out from something by physically projecting or being particularly noticeable.

Acura engineering has manifested in the form of the 2015 TLX Sport Sedan what most automotive manufactures only inspire to do. They’ve produced a quality, financially attainable, sports performing, user friendly automotive transformer. Offered in several variants, including a top of the segment(all-new) 3.5 Liter V6 powered performance sedan, TLX takes tech-driven performance to a new level, while establishing a fuel efficiency, drive-performance and safety benchmark for the segment.

No manufacturer in the segment can match or exceed 2015 TLX performance at this price point.

Acura, through TLX offers an exceptional road-handling midsize Sport Sedan that performs as well on the twisties as many European sport coupes, while providing the interior comfort and quiet of a luxury sedan. And, has done so while establishing a beginning MSRP slightly higher than the top of the line 2014 Honda Accord.

We can’t say enough about Acura’s newest offering. We believe this performance sport sedan will change the way our readers and world-car manufacturers perceive and measure driving performance, while supporting low emission levels and exceptional fuel economy; through extreme form meets function and safety driven automotive design.

While we can’t comment on our driving experience until next week, we'll state the following with strong conviction: We find no compromise of quality evident in our close review of the 2015 TLX and look excitedly forward to reporting on the driving attributes of Acura’s game changer. This car is contagiously spirited.

Designed, supplied and built in America, Acura TLX furthers Honda Motors and Acura Division’s intent to return the mark to North American prominence in all segments. While Acura TLX will not do everything for everyone, what it does do, it does exceptionally well. We’re happy to report that Acura has hit a homerun in designing the TLX. Stay tuned for daily updates as we present to our readers the car that will return Acura to segment dominance; the Acura 2015 TLX.
The following 9 users liked this post by TSX69:
2011TL (07-31-2014), a35tl (07-31-2014), Acura_Dude (08-01-2014), dysonlu (07-31-2014), H_CAR (07-31-2014), MuGen7Modulo (07-31-2014), Rocket_man (08-01-2014), Stew4HD (07-31-2014), weather (07-31-2014) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-31-2014, 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX69

A tall order but Acura engineering has achieved something that automotive manufacturers can only hope to achieve. They’ve set the new manufacturing benchmark for a very competitive automotive segment. The 2015 TLX will change the way you perceive economy driven fuel economy, luxury and performance.

prom·i·nence
the fact or condition of standing out from something by physically projecting or being particularly noticeable.

Acura engineering has manifested in the form of the 2015 TLX Sport Sedan what most automotive manufactures only inspire to do. They’ve produced a quality, financially attainable, sports performing, user friendly automotive transformer. Offered in several variants, including a top of the segment(all-new) 3.5 Liter V6 powered performance sedan, TLX takes tech-driven performance to a new level, while establishing a fuel efficiency, drive-performance and safety benchmark for the segment.

No manufacturer in the segment can match or exceed 2015 TLX performance at this price point.

Acura, through TLX offers an exceptional road-handling midsize Sport Sedan that performs as well on the twisties as many European sport coupes, while providing the interior comfort and quiet of a luxury sedan. And, has done so while establishing a beginning MSRP slightly higher than the top of the line 2014 Honda Accord.

We can’t say enough about Acura’s newest offering. We believe this performance sport sedan will change the way our readers and world-car manufacturers perceive and measure driving performance, while supporting low emission levels and exceptional fuel economy; through extreme form meets function and safety driven automotive design.

While we can’t comment on our driving experience until next week, we'll state the following with strong conviction: We find no compromise of quality evident in our close review of the 2015 TLX and look excitedly forward to reporting on the driving attributes of Acura’s game changer. This car is contagiously spirited.

Designed, supplied and built in America, Acura TLX furthers Honda Motors and Acura Division’s intent to return the mark to North American prominence in all segments. While Acura TLX will not do everything for everyone, what it does do, it does exceptionally well. We’re happy to report that Acura has hit a homerun in designing the TLX. Stay tuned for daily updates as we present to our readers the car that will return Acura to segment dominance; the Acura 2015 TLX.
Wow this bodes well. Acura sedans have been devoid of glowing reviews since the 4G TL and 2G RL (and now RLX). Reviews have been tepid at best. If the driving dynamics are as good as advertised it may be my new car in 1-2 years. My 05 TL is getting long in the tooth after going on 10 years of ownership. I am too nervous about reliability of German sedans. Lexus got hit with the proverbial ugly stick. Infiniti new line up has a lot of electronic issues. Acura may have hit a home-run
Old 07-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts
"Acura, through TLX offers an exceptional road-handling midsize Sport Sedan that performs as well on the twisties as many European sport coupes, while providing the interior comfort and quiet of a luxury sedan."

"No manufacturer in the segment can match or exceed 2015 TLX performance at this price point."

"We’re happy to report that Acura has hit a homerun in designing the TLX."

Acura is going to sell a TON of these
a35tl (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 498 Likes on 249 Posts
btw guys, eta at our dealership for the first batch of tlx's has been moved up to this monday and possibly this saturday. they are sitting alliance airport 10 miles north of us. first batch are all V6 FWD, white and black all with the espresso interior. give me a pm if you live in the dfw area and want to test drive one.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Nexx
btw guys, eta at our dealership for the first batch of tlx's has been moved up to this monday and possibly this saturday. they are sitting alliance airport 10 miles north of us. first batch are all V6 FWD, white and black all with the espresso interior. give me a pm if you live in the dfw area and want to test drive one.
Hopefully Houston area dealers will be getting some in soon too. I am supposed to get a call when they come in so I can test drive one
Old 07-31-2014, 05:42 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Very positive preview, can't wait to see actual road tests!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
While I don't mean to be a buzzkill, all the other reviews on this site are very puff piece like. For example, this: http://www.torquenews.com/106/review-2013-ford-explorer-sport-full-sized-suv-spirit-sports-car . I am struggling to find a negative review of anything on this site.
H_CAR (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 05:56 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
While I don't mean to be a buzzkill, all the other reviews on this site are very puff piece like. For example, this: http://www.torquenews.com/106/review-2013-ford-explorer-sport-full-sized-suv-spirit-sports-car . I am struggling to find a negative review of anything on this site.
Looking at those reviews, most are those cars aren't exactly bad cars......
H_CAR (07-31-2014)
Old 07-31-2014, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by blacktsxwagon
Personally, I find that rather refreshing, in this day and age of click-bait or flame-bait journalism. Instead of mercilessly blasting an aspect, he says it in a more subtle and nuanced manner. Example:

"The Corolla can cut through the turns on back roads with some urgency, but pushing the car a bit too far will get it sliding around in a fairly undesirable manner. If you try to really get to cutting hard through traffic at higher speeds, the Corolla as at its weakest and it makes it readily apparent that blasting down a curvy highway at higher speeds was not one of the concerns of the engineers. The Corolla is far from the worst handling compact sedan, but it falls short of really competing with some of the cars in the class which focus on sporty handling to offer really strong driving dynamics. As is the case with the power, the Corolla isn’t great at hammering the corners but it also isn’t terrible and that is the case on the highway as well."

Glass half full instead of half empty.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:35 PM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
I hear ya. I might worship a little too much at the altar of Jalopnik for my own good, and They don't seem to like ANYTHING lately.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Safety Car

Arrow AutoWeek

What Is It? The list of carmakers that claim they’re going after the BMW 3-Series - and C-Class, A4 and Lexus IS - has been long and occasionally laughable over the years. Sometimes the comparison is warranted, sometimes not. In the case of the new Acura TLX it’s somewhere in between. The TLX is closest in feel and performance to the Lexus IS, but exhibits elements of all its competitors in one way or another. The new “entry premium” sedan fills the space previously held by 2 Acuras that are no longer offered: the semi-sportish TSX and mostly luxury TL. It is in many ways a composite of the 2. It sits on the same Global Mid-Size Platform that underpins the new Accord, but it shares only the Accord’s floor stampings. Everything above the floorpan, “…everything you can see,” according to Acura chief Mike Accavitti, is new and unique.

There will be 3 variants offered: an entry level front wheel-driver with a new direct-injection 2.4-liter 4; and front- and all wheel-drive versions powered by a direct-injection 3.5-liter V6. The 4-cylinder engine comes mated to a new, sportier 8-speed dual-clutch transmission with a torque converter while the V6 gets a new ZF 9-speed automatic. (We should pause a moment to thank Acura for NOT putting in a CVT, something for which engineers had to fight it out with management. Thank you engineers.) To those basic pieces Acura piles on a host of 3- and 4-letter acronyms all aimed at safer, better performance: next-gen P-AWS, precision all-wheel steer that steers the rear wheels for more stable cornering; AHA, agile handling assist that applies an appropriate brake to induce the right amount of yaw in cornering; and SH-AWD or super-handling all wheel-drive, which distributes torque to each rear wheel via clutch packs on either side of the rear differential. All these are controlled in concert by a new IDS, or integrated dynamic system, which lets the driver select from four algorithms depending on the desired performance. Then there are a slew of other acronyms which seem to be the price of entry into today’s entry premium-and-above market; we won’t list them all except by function: cross-traffic monitoring for backing out of parking spaces, forward collision warning, lane-departure warning, lane keeping assist, road departure mitigation to keep you from driving into a ditch, and still more stuff all under the heading of AcuraWatch. Suffice to say if you get in trouble in a TLX it’ll probably be your fault.

How Does It Drive? Over the course of a long West Virginia mountain day we piloted all 3 models of TLX, each with varying lists of options. They were all perfectly comfortable and you could even say responsive around town. If you consider that almost all buyers are going to drive these cars in a similarly non-challenging, non-racing mode, say 6 or 7/10ths and below, you could safely say that almost all TLX buyers will be happy with their cars. Extensive efforts were made to make the new car quieter, including pumping foam into the spaces behind the exterior body panels. This has resulted in as quiet a ride as you’re likely to get in the class. In fact, Acura has joined other manufacturers who have to broadcast engine noise into the cabin to give a sense of what’s going on under the hood at full throttle. The audio system that accomplishes this sends only the most distinctly defined sounds into the cabin, be they Mozart or Motörhead.

In a straight line the TLX returned good – if not great – preliminary numbers to 60 mph. The quickest model we tried in impromptu launches on mostly flat country roads was the front wheel-drive V6, which used all of its 290 hp getting there in 6.1 seconds. The SH-AWD V6 got 6.5 seconds and the front wheel-drive 206-hp four-cylinder got to 60 mph in 7.2. While more thorough tests will surely lower those figures, in our runs we found all the cars were hampered by a pause at launch. This ate up as much as a second of time. Once the TLX decided to get going, it went, roaring ahead with only slight wheelspin with traction control off.

Once you start to push the TLXs through corners though, you get mostly understeer at the limits, which announces itself with an awful lot of tire slip. We rode on both the Bridgestone RE97AS 225/50R18s and Goodyear Eagle LS2 225/50R18s, both with M&S treads. When pushed beyond their limits of grip, all those mechanical acronyms got to work immediately, trying desperately to keep the car in line. But even that much computing power eventually has to work with just four tire patches and those patches pushed powerfully.

The BMW or Audi competitors deliver a greater sense of driver control than the Acura and the Lexus IS. The TLX gave the feeling that the car was going to take care of all that control stuff at the limit for you and just don’t you worry about it, pal. There was a definite sense of disconnect, or at least a formidable buffer, between what you ask the car to do and the way it goes about doing it. It does what you ask, and does it well enough, but some drivers might want to do that stuff for themselves. Or at least feel as if they were. For most buyers, all that electronic control at the limit will be a good thing, since the TLX knows more about car control than they are likely to. But for a canyon-carving boy racer, the slight numbness might put him to sleep.

Do I Want It? If you enjoy being behind the wheel and if most of your driving does not involve spirited apex-bashing on challenging roads, this car will meet your needs. The infotainment connectivity is on par with the best in the class, the 10-speaker ELS Studio Premium Audio or even the 7-speaker premium audio is superbly distinct and there are zillions of ways to get music into them. The NAV and audio systems are a lot easier and more intuitive to use than BMW’s or Mercedes’. And the styling, while not being overly distinctive, is not as far-fetched as some earlier Acura offerings.

Acura thinks this will become 1 of its biggest sellers, surpassing sales of both the TSX and TL combined, or over 40,000 a year. The biggest seller in the division is the MDX and Acura thinks the TLX could even challenge that entry. Granted, MDX sells only around 53,000 or so a year, well below rivals in the TLXs entry premium class, so that’s not too lofty a goal. Acura lists a relatively low price, too, starting at $31,890 for a base four-cylinder and topping out at $45,595 for a loaded V6 SH-AWD. Acura is counting on its prices to get an advantage on competitors. In a market segment growing by five percent a year, it’ll need all the advantages it can get.
The following 10 users liked this post by TSX69:
2011TL (08-01-2014), BookemDanole (08-02-2014), dwest1023 (08-01-2014), LaCostaRacer (08-02-2014), Legend2TL (08-02-2014), MuGen7Modulo (08-01-2014), Rocketsfan (08-02-2014), Rocket_man (08-01-2014), Stew4HD (08-01-2014), TSXV6Guy (08-02-2014) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-02-2014, 08:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Mostly positive review. It's definitely a compelling alternative to Infiniti and probably Lexus. It's potential core buyers are those looking for an upscale sedan but not necessarily those interested German Luxury (BMW, Mercedes, Audi).

Quick Reply: 5th Generation Acura TL Reviews