5th Generation Acura TL Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 10:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by unr1
was hoping it would look cleaner in white. That beak does not fit IMHO.
The angle, lighting.. etc does not help that picture
Old 08-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
I still don't understand why the 0-60 on the V6 FWD is .5 seconds behind the Accord V6 (which has less power and only a 6 speed transmission). The TLX should be FASTER than the Accord...not slower..right?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
I still don't understand why the 0-60 on the V6 FWD is .5 seconds behind the Accord V6 (which has less power and only a 6 speed transmission). The TLX should be FASTER than the Accord...not slower..right?
You don't think the difference will emerge once C/D does their official testing using their standard track, 1 ft roll out, altitude adjustment etc?
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 12:09 PM
Suzuka Master

.5 seconds... driver error?
Old 08-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin
You don't think the difference will emerge once C/D does their official testing using their standard track, 1 ft roll out, altitude adjustment etc?
ah yeah...it probably will. I wonder if you could get close to the C/D test times of the Accord V6, on the street.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
There hasn't been an official testing yet, so the youtube runs and the one review with the unofficial impromptu test don't exactly count yet. Again, the real tests will include brake torquing if applicable and a 1ft rollout, proper equipment with corrections and test conditions, etc, many of which usually cuts the list time down but we'll see.

However, in the event it ends up being slower 0-60, it could be from traction issues, too many gears as in it has to shift too much, weight, conditions, driver, transmission pause that we are hearing about, etc, etc, but keep in mind 0-60 is but one measure and is impacted by many factors, there is also 1/4 mile and trap speeds which also are impacted in various ways but all should be considered together to get a better idea of the overall picture and real world performance as it relates to daily driving and maybe the occasional heavy foot and back road adventure as well as in comparison to other cars.

There is also 5-60 which is probably the best measure as it relates to real world daily driving, passing/pulling, mild fun, etc, and is a stricter, more of a level playing field basis IMO, for that context. However, there is also how it fares on a race track or road course which is harder to tell and is rarely tested, where perhaps one should be looking for cars outside the entry luxury arena anyway, unless it's an AMG or M variant maybe, other exceptions may apply.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-07-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:20 PM
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
The angle, lighting.. etc does not help that picture
Yeah, I took it while inside my car and it was getting late so the picture does suck

The white looks pretty sweet especially with the espresso interior!
Old 08-07-2014, 12:22 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Could the reviewers not being pushing the SH-AWD to the limits? It seems odd to suggest that the AWD was less stellar than the FWD especially when attacking curves and whatnot.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
^You do need a proper setting to best showcase SH-AWD, however, I also think it's the tuning, the I4 having to replace the bulk of the TSX market would need to feel a bit firmer, both lighter and lighter on it's feet, tossable, perhaps those also impact steering and braking feel, probably a bit raspier, quicker shifting, hence the use of the DCT, etc.

The V6 and up is targeting more to the TL buyer, who wants the capability plus some but more of a toned down approach. It's all in the feel despite the difference in bottomline capability. It has usually been maintained that the TL/TLX is a car with a demeanor or character of a car in a different segment, by way of how it drives and behaves (feels), not because of materials, price or features, or size necessarily. Most use that to knock it in the sport sedan entry segment, however one could see it as a plus. Capability that doesn't have to feel like it, as if it has been refined or smoothed out is a virtue IMO and is a trait we see of higher classed vehicles. Depends on what one is looking for I guess and their perceptions because there are some who probably interpret that this is a lack of (sport) engineering, people will disagree but I don't think that is the case.

I would suspect the I4 handles better than the V6 FWD despite it being faster. Would also think the SH is the best handler but the FWD V6 may out hustle it in the straights a bit. Reviewers like sporty regardless of how it actually performers, preference is usually determined by feel. Often times people think something performs better or worse because of how it feels, we know that can be the furthest thing from the truth.

Furthermore, SH is not the purist or most natural of handling feel, it is fantastic but it takes time to get adjusted to. This has been a suggested issue since it's inception and again most comment on how it doesn't feel the best or most secured but we know it usually delivers, at least on better or comparable tires. Sadly Acura on longer offers them standard but it's an easy add on. Maybe we see a Type S (that goes one step further) and that has the tires to better showcase this as was done on the early 4G TL 6MT model.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-07-2014 at 01:18 PM.
internalaudit (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
More shifts or different gearing?

Having 9 forward gears vs 6 can make a difference, dude.

This is why the new Subaru WRX is faster than the WRX STi.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drei
I like this right here. Those headlights make this car look special. Would've been sick with the DRL's from the prototype. That would be my first mod.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:44 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
I saw the car today and went for a short test drive in the white Tech V6. The ride is super quiet, smooth and nimble, just very well done!
My first recommendation to everybody is go see the car in person! Pics don't do any justice.
This car is so very well build and so much quality all over. It is indeed a game changer!
TLX is ready to be lowered and run aggressive wheels as the fenders are already rolled standard

Looking to make a new purchase in a couple of years and definitely want a silver with espresso interior

Comparo pic.

Nice Legend

Last edited by MuGen7Modulo; 08-07-2014 at 02:55 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by MuGen7Modulo:
dysonlu (08-07-2014), internalaudit (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 03:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by MuGen7Modulo
I saw the car today and went for a short test drive in the white Tech V6. The ride is super quiet, smooth and nimble, just very well done!
My first recommendation to everybody is go see the car in person! Pics don't do any justice.
This car is so very well build and so much quality all over. It is indeed a game changer!
TLX is ready to be lowered and run aggressive wheels as the fenders are already rolled standard

Looking to make a new purchase in a couple of years and definitely want a silver with espresso interior

Drool drool.. I like the white w/ the `18's

Is this the 4cyl? No fog lights is why I ask
Old 08-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Ditto.....all of my Acuras have been white and think it looks great.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM
▒JDM ¥ KING▒

Received 141 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Drool drool.. I like the white w/ the `18's

Is this the 4cyl? No fog lights is why I ask
That's the Tech V6 / Espresso I took for a test drive. Local dealer has 8 or 9 in stock all V6.

Only Advance Package gets LED fogs standard, so just V6 models in US at least.

Last edited by MuGen7Modulo; 08-07-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 19 Posts
Heres another video showing off those gorgeous head and tail lights. Must say I do love the LED Pipe in the tail lights, looks great at night. Definitely can't wait to check this car out in person. Scheduled to get an oil change soon so i'll go see if my dealer has any in.

Last edited by Illuminati; 08-07-2014 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Error
The following 5 users liked this post by Illuminati:
a35tl (08-07-2014), ACCURATEin (08-07-2014), BookemDanole (08-07-2014), kfhughes (08-07-2014), Legend2TL (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lindros2
More shifts or different gearing?

Having 9 forward gears vs 6 can make a difference, dude.

This is why the new Subaru WRX is faster than the WRX STi.
Curb weight: 3552 lb Accord V6 vs #3770 TL SHD V6?

I agree on amount of gears and ratio's as well.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:35 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How does graphite luster metallic look with ebony?

Also does anyone have pics of what the center console looks like on the base model? Is it still a two screen setup? If so what displays on the top screen if there's no nav? Just turned off?

Google is failing me

Debating between base and tech. Tech pricing seems a bit much for what I need. Upgraded sound, some safety stuff that I may or may not ever use, and nav? How does the leatherette vs. leather fare?
Old 08-07-2014, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
the V6 wheels look great. So much better compared to the 4-cyl version
Old 08-07-2014, 06:59 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
After seeing the car in person for the first time today (a graphite and black copper pearl), I have to say :

1) The front end looks better in person
2) The back end is a bit like a more muscular ILX - wasn't all that impressed, but it was ok
3) The 4-cylinder's wheels should never have seen the light of day. It will scare children away and cause little kittens to explode. But... I may be exaggerating a bit. The stock 6 cylinder's wheels were ok, but nothing drool-worthy.
4) The interior didn't blow me away or anything, but it looked ok from about 2 feet away. lol.

I haven't test driven or even sat in one since one I saw just happened to come by while I was in the service bay of my dealership and the other one was sitting in the lot and locked up.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by tsxacura
A bit off topic here, but does anyone know if the new TLX will have a traditional manual Tilt/Telescoping steering wheel, or a power one? Infiniti has had a power one for a few years now, even in the G.
I think that the TLX is a fantastic bargain considering all of the features, and from what just about all of the reviews say, an extremely quiet and refined drive. Acura obviously has to save money some way, and for me, this is perfectly acceptable. How many times do you change the placement of the steering wheel? For me, about once.
The following 2 users liked this post by BookemDanole:
2011TL (08-07-2014), quantum7 (08-08-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by BookemDanole
I think that the TLX is a fantastic bargain considering all of the features, and from what just about all of the reviews say, an extremely quiet and refined drive. Acura obviously has to save money some way, and for me, this is perfectly acceptable. How many times do you change the placement of the steering wheel? For me, about once.
So long as the adjustment is more than 8 way, I'm good with it.

Then again, with 2 memory seats being standard, Acura should have included an automatic telescopic steering to make it easier for our bigger brethren to get in and out of the car.

Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
There is also 5-60 which is probably the best measure as it relates to real world daily driving..................................there is also how it fares on a race track or road course which is harder to tell and is rarely tested, .
Two thing agree on the 5-60, takes the pro driver out of the loop.

C&D's annual Lighting Laps does just that on VIR a road course that's know as the US Nürburgring. The grand course there is 4.1 miles, of turns, straights, hills etc & gives the cars a real world, no speed limit, run.

The October issue will have this years run which has already taken place so the TLX might not have made it. Generally new cars introduced since the last run, regardless of price, are tested . The historical results list cars from $20K to off the scale of normal mortals wallets.
winstrolvtec (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:16 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
3) The 4-cylinder's wheels should never have seen the light of day. It will scare children away and cause little kittens to explode. But... I may be exaggerating a bit. The stock 6 cylinder's wheels were ok, but nothing drool-worthy.
lol!!
a35tl (08-07-2014)
Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 PM
tehLEGOman

Received 1,982 Likes on 1,335 Posts
I just want to go to the dealership and take a dremel to all those shield grilles.

It makes me want a tlx just so I can take the grille off. It would be a very rewarding experience for me personally.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:52 PM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
I got an oil change today at Goodson Acura of Dallas. They had just taken Delivery of 4 TLX 1 Advance 1, 1 4 Cylinder, 2 V6 Techs. I caught the underside of the V6 in the shop for initial inspection.

Name:  TLXUnder_zps17b72e93.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  86.7 KB
The following 6 users liked this post by keith7120:
Acura_Dude (08-08-2014), benjaminh (08-26-2014), internalaudit (08-08-2014), JustinZ (08-07-2014), SL1200MK4 (08-08-2014), Stew4HD (08-08-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,394 Likes on 699 Posts
Wink

Acura has a lot riding on its all-new sport/luxury sedan. Can it be the home run that jump-starts sales for Honda's flagging luxury division?

Brian Harper
By Brian Harper
Originally published: 22 hours ago

MIDDLEBURG, VA — If there is any trepidation on the part of Honda Canada brass over the new Acura TLX, they’re doing a marvellous job masking it. It’s 1 thing to debut any new model to a cynical and spoiled audience (and I mean consumers, not we assembled auto writers), it’s another to have this 1 model do the work of 2.

Yet, this is the situation for the TLX sport/luxury sedan, a replacement for the underperforming compact TSX and the mid-sized TL. As such, it plays a pivotal role in revitalizing the Acura brand. It has to be better than good; it has to stand out. And, competing in 1 of the most competitive and scrutinized automobile segments, this is no small challenge.

From a styling standpoint, the TLX doesn’t break much new ground. The exterior design is fresher yet still retains the familial look of past Acura sedans. Yes, sculpted fender arches and sharper character lines instill the TLX with more personality than the TSX and TL, but it’s a design that tends to blend in. At least the proportions (the TLX is 97 mm shorter in overall length than the 2014 TL) seem more in keeping with its sporty intent. And, no matter which of the 3 versions being sold, all come standard with Acura’s signature Jewel Eye LED headlights, which lessens the impact of the overt Acura smiley-face grille.

Beneath the unassuming looks, though, is a car brimming with new and revised technologies, starting with the powertrains. The 3 model variants are well differentiated, with 2 updated direct-injected i-VTEC engines, 2 new transmissions and 2 unique drivetrains.

The base front-wheel-drive model, aimed at a younger, hipper demographic, sees a reworked 206-horsepower 2.4-litre 16-valve, 4-cylinder engine under its hood, with the 4 connected to an 8-speed dual-clutch transmission with torque converter. For handling ability, it comes with the latest iteration of Acura’s Precision All-Wheel Steer (P-AWS).

Meanwhile, the TLX with the new-ish 290-hp 3.5L 24-valve V6 is mated to a 9-speed automatic and will be available with either P-AWS or Super-Handling All-Wheel Drive (SH-AWD).

P-AWS and SH-AWD, along with something called Agile Handling Assist, help make the TLX the most dynamically advanced car Acura says it has ever produced, with the claim of “quick and responsive in sporty driving, stable and sure-footed in emergency manoeuvres, and calm and quiet during long-distance cruising.”

Beyond the corporate hyperbole, that’s actually a fairly accurate statement — depending on the model and the mode (more on this in a moment). The base TLX is something of a marvel. Although the 4-cylinder is admirably smooth, its power output is merely competitive. Still, the new 8-speed makes the most of the 182 pound-feet of torque, with crisp shifts, whether dallying in Drive or using the paddle shifters to carve through sets of twisties (which were in abundance during the 360-kilometre drive through rural Virginia and West Virginia).

All models are fitted with an upgraded version of Acura’s Integrated Dynamics System (IDS), which, through 4 selectable modes — Econ, Normal, Sport and Sport+ — allows for a customizable driving experience. Depending on the setting, IDS will adjust power-steering effort, throttle response, transmission shift logic, heating/air conditioning system operation, active sound control and the control logic for either the P-AWS or SH-AWD systems. The new Sport+ mode ups the sedan’s performance potential with the most aggressive settings. It proved its worth on a series of downhill sweepers, using the paddle shifters to initiate stronger engine braking instead of constantly dabbing the brakes. Other than that, though, Sport mode turned out to be the most enjoyable, tightening up the steering but not as aggressive on the shift points. Econ seriously gutted the TLX’s performance — whether the 4-cylinder or the V6 — and was quickly discarded. Normal was acceptable for highway cruising but otherwise was switched out in favour of Sport.

The suspension setup was at its best when working with the base model’s trim 1,579 kilograms — the P-AWS system combines with the stiffened chassis to deliver a precision and stability that made it a guessing game as to which set of wheels was doing the driving.

The front-drive V6 isn’t quite as lively due to the added weight over the front wheels, while the SH-AWD version — which should account for the bulk of the TLX’s sales, says Honda Canada — is heavier still (1,700-plus kg despite the AWD system being 25% lighter). On a race circuit, this might matter more. It didn’t on the twisting tarmac and wet pavement during the drive. The level of confidence this car engenders when road conditions aren’t straight and dry challenges most criticism of its handling dynamics. SH-AWD is capable of tremendous grip, and the system’s torque-vectoring effect helps the TLX turn in faster and easier.

Then there’s AcuraWatch, a catchy name for the company’s suite of available sensing and driver assistance technologies. Blind Spot Information, Lane Departure Warning, Forward Collision Warning, Expanded View Driver’s Side Mirror, Lane Keep Assist and new Cross Traffic Monitor are just a few of the tech items offered.

As for the cabin, it’s more high-tech — the mantra for all Acura vehicles — than overt luxury, with a full list of gadgetry that’s augmented by available Elite and Technology packages. A new feature of the V6 models is an electronic gear selector that replaces the traditional gear shifter with what Acura thinks is an intuitive and easy-to-operate push-button array. While the intent was to free up centre console space while presenting a futuristic appearance, it’s also a little too gimmicky for my liking.

Targeting the likes of the Lexus IS 250, Infiniti’s Q50, the Audi A4, BMW 3 Series and the Mercedes C 250, Acura has set an ambitious goal for the TLX. At 1st glance, it might not appear to be the home run the company expects, but the car’s fresher appearance, mechanical upgrades, excellent handling dynamics and typical Acura gadgetry all work in its favour. Then there’s the price: the base, well-contented TLX starts at a very reasonable $34,990. The V6 with standard Tech package is $41,690, while the V6 SH-AWD starts at $39,990. Even fully loaded, the SH-AWD Elite model is less than $48,000. Each model is a lot of car for the money, which is the reason why Honda is confident the TLX is more than enough car to jump-start Acura’s sedan sales.

The 1st TLXs arrive in dealerships later this month. The 2.4L model will be offered 1st; the 3.5L P-AWS model and the 3.5L SH-AWD will follow in the fall.

The following 2 users liked this post by TSX69:
internalaudit (08-08-2014), Stew4HD (08-08-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
It's too bad the tlx came out later than expected, as I would have liked to put this car up for consideration, as I just acquired a new Infiniti. Maybe next go around after the links are all worked out.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:47 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
Originally Posted by keith7120
I got an oil change today at Goodson Acura of Dallas. They had just taken Delivery of 4 TLX 1 Advance 1, 1 4 Cylinder, 2 V6 Techs. I caught the underside of the V6 in the shop for initial inspection.

P-AWS tie rods are very different from the RLX.

0_0
Old 08-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
After seeing the car in person for the first time today (a graphite and black copper pearl), I have to say :

Old 08-08-2014, 06:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Sorry if this was posted elsewhere.....nothing but praise for the i4 from Torque News

News
Vehicle Reviews
Electric Vehicles
Performance Vehicles
Pickup Trucks
Everyday Auto Help
Readers' Rides
Home / Acura
2015_Acura_TLX_2.4_i-4
By Parks McCants G+ 2014-08-07 23:02
2015 Acura TLX i-4: Shades of Integra Type-R

2015 Acura TLX equals affordable performance and quality

2015 Acura TLX twin cam 2.4L 4 cylinder

lighter brake and wheel assembly equals less road bounch

2015 Acura TLX looking good!
Entry level 2015 Acura TLX retains the fun driving aspect of the outgoing 4 cylinder TSX while capturing the interior dimensions and polish of the TL. We believe that the 4 cylinder TLX will be the best selling midsize luxury sport sedan in Acura’s lineup.
Last week in Virginia we drove an upsized TLX i-4 that stirred memories of Acura’s iconic Integra Type R. Rev happy and road sticky, the entry level TLX generated smiles for miles.
Chuck Schifsky of Honda public relations asked, ‘if we were to give you a 2015 TLX, what car would you take?’ After doing a double take, I found myself scrambling for an answer as 300 miles of road testing clicked through the back roads of my mind. Not an easy question to answer, the entry level TLX brought back memories of Acura's Integra Type-R, we liked the car.
Surprisingly enough, after driving the fully loaded 3.5 V6 SH-AWD TLX with tech package, I found myself gravitating toward the simplicity and measurable sportiness of the normally aspirated 2.4 liter 1-VTEC DOHC 4 cylinder FWD. Coupled to Honda engineering development's(Japan) newly crafted dual clutched 8 speed, this car gave BMW a run for the money; I like BMW.
The thing is, Acura TLX smoked BMW 328i in cabin comfort, quiet, overall handling and ride performance. Yeh, I know, BMW is BMW. To double check my possible preconceived affection for the all new TLX, I took the wheel of a 2014 328I x-Drive Sedan.
While the 328i's turbocharged 2.0L 4 cylinder was impressive(V8 impressive,) I couldn't shake the TLX experience, me and co-driver Bean were hooked on the total package. Acura refers to this as the “3 P’s,” Proportion, Prestige and Performance. And, while all TLX variants hit the nail on the head, the 4 cylinder TLX returns Acura fans to the rev-happy days of the Acura Integra and Honda Type R. While Acura TLX was shy a few ponies of the BMW turbo 4, I soon came to learn that it didn't need it.
The engine, transmission and quality drive experience afforded through Acura P-AWS, state of the art front wheel drive, engineering changes to frame rigidity, suspension tuning and noise reduction places TLX in the upper echelon of premium entry level sport sedans.
Economy mandated attainable performance
In an era of the “downsized supersize,” Acura has created a very attainable yet measurably rewarding ownership and driving experience. with a beginning MSRP of $30,995, TLX arrives in its barest variant, a well equipped driving machine.
Fit and finish
While we've all read Acura haters downplay the styling aspects of the TLX, the car in person is stunning. This year Acura has come up with several new colors, complimenting and contrasting interior combinations.
On first visual the TLX design incorporates TL flavor and body line while pulling the car closer to the ground. Acura claims class leading aerodynamics. This car is slippery, yet cautiously cutting edge. pure Acura. Acura has retained the historic grin as well as the diminutive trunk fin while flawlessly integrating head and tail lighting into the body line. Just enough chrome has been integrated into the greenhouse to catch one’s eye.
Take a close look at the the side profile of the TLX, you'll see the work of a state of the art pannel bender developed specifically for the TLX. While I didn’t have a micrometer in hand, I will state with conviction that the panel fitment on this car is very near hand-built perfect.
Engine Specifications
TLX employs Honda’s venerable and mechanically bulletproof 2.4 L DOHC(dual overhead cam) i-VTEC( variable timed) high compression 4 cylinder for engine duty. Acura’s kicked the horsepower and torque up a notch on the TLX. 206 hp/182 lb-ft torque. Acura has has incorporated staged induction and direct injection to an already stellar performer, increasing pedal power( feels like a downshift) while reducing fuel consumption.
This is where TLX takes on Type R performance traits.( Are you smiling yet?) The weight of the FWD TLX(3492 lb with Tech) remains the same as the outgoing,smaller TSX. And yet Acura has increased the interior volume of the new ride while improving the comfort of the seats(nice) and rear seat legroom.
* Worlds first DCT with torque converter.
Taking an engineering trick or two from Honda Racing and Motorsports development, Honda engineering(Japan) has followed the lead of Ferrari, Lamborghini Porsche, Mercedes in race applications and placed a DCT in the chassis of a $30,000 Acura. Actually, Acura has improved the DCT by developing the world’s first 8 speed DCT with a torque converter. By doing so, TLX provides a 33% faster shift than a 5 speed automatic transmission, it’s impressive.
I can’t say enough about the performance aspects of Acura’s dual clutch 8- speed. In sport mode you’d be be hard pressed to outshift this computerized marvel. To say that this car’s performance is intuitive is a Grand Canyon sized understatement.
Crisp and exacting upshifts and downshifts with the 8 speed TLX is effortless. When placed in Sport +, the 4 mode IDS( Integrated Dynamics System) gives the driver split second control of this high revving( 6700 rpm Rev Limiter) twincam 4. When left in Sport , the TLX will resume from a stop in 1rst gear. The driver must utilize the steering wheel mounted paddle shifter to up or downshift. In Sport+ the 8 speed becomes a close ratio 6 speed. Switching back and forth between modes is seamless.
Left in regular or sport mode, the computer takes the 8 speed through its paces flawlessly. The torque converter insures drive smoothness rivaling the best automatic transmissions on the market today. On a downhill the TLX shifts down into bank turns and upshifts through acceleration, it holds a hill as well as a manual transmission. In Econ mode TLX takes on the personality of a well dressed Accord LX. Acura claims 35 mpg on the highway, we found no reason on the test drive to discredit this claim.You may read full specifications here.
Exiting the 290 hp Acura SH-AWD only minutes earlier, we found no disparity in power and handling characteristics experienced while driving the entry level TLX i-4.
Brakes and suspension
Acura has raised the bar on standard factory equipped brakes and suspension components. For 2015, TLX comes standard with race quality 12.6 inch ventilated disc brakes,(front) 12.5 rear, front and rear reactive suspension dampers, 25% greater body mount rigidity and greater torsional stiffness than the outgoing TL. This car handles extremely well while maintaining”flatitude.” We drove the TLX to the breaking point and noted zero brake fade.
Interior noise level
While the TLX V6 SH-AWD may be measurable quieter in the interior of the car, the sport exhaust note of the high revving 4 cylinder made this issue a mute one. Note: In normal drive mode while highway cruising, the interior noise level of the TLX i-4 is comparable to the V6 variant. By increasing frame rigidity, filling hollow frame cavities with sound foam while reducing deadweight and changing tire rubber compounds, Acura has achieved world-class quiet throughout the TLX line up. We did note a bit more trailing rear axle tire bounce in the FWD 4 cylinder, it was negligible.
P-AWS
The entry level TLX i-4 comes standard with state of the art all wheel steering, pretty cool stuff. When in a slow turn the rear wheels of TLX turn in the opposite direction of the front, thus slightly reducing the length of the cars track. At higher speeds the rear wheel turn in unison with the front of the car reducing frictional scuffing. The result is a quicker sweep, or when needed, a help with braking in a downhill sweep. love it.
Do you notice or hear the systems working in the TLX?
We've been asked by readers of Torque News about the finer workings of the TLX, We state the following: Acura has eliminated the drive-by wire- acceleration lag experienced in earlier generation Acura and Honda vehicles. We noted zero acceleration lag, brake fading, transmission glitch, torque steer or excessive engine vibration in TLX. The systems work seamlessly. I personally prefer a console mounted stick to the button drive modes found in the TLX V6 P-AWS and SH-AWD. The TLX-i-4 has a stick, I like it.
Electronics
Yes, the entry level TLX features current generation personal connectivity as well as state of the art accident accident avoidance. You can read about it here.
In closing: I believe that TLX 1-4 brings Acura back to the heyday of the Acura Integra Type R. While that may be a bold statement, we suggest that before you test drive TLX, take the competition for a spin, look at the the $ bottom line and head over to Acura, arguable the best overall value in an economy driven sport sedan.
- See more at: http://www.torquenews.com/1574/2015-....iqoSOSXR.dpuf
internalaudit (08-08-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 9 Posts
Even though I'm only interested in the 2.4, I stopped by a dealer today to see the BWP and leatherette in person. My initial impressions:

- The pearl is nice. Pics tend to hide the depth of the color, making it look like a metallic.

- The leatherette was good. Sure, it's not as soft as the Milano leather, but it's a nice alternative if you're not interested in the Tech package.

- The driver's seat was comfortable, but could use bigger bolsters. That being said, the leatherette seemed to have more grip than the leather, so it might not be a big deal.

- The opening for the fold-down seats was small and oval-shaped. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on hauling much, and it's better than not having fold-down seats at all. But it was still a bit odd.

- The interior materials were good but not great. As one reviewer said, it's what you'd expect from an Acura but nothing more. Room was good, but more like a TSX than a TL.

- The exterior was your typical Honda/Acura, which isn't bad. I like the front and rear, along with the 3/4 views. The side view is just OK.

- Overall, it's what I'm looking for... An upgrade over an Accord with value in mind. Of course, the final verdict will come after a test drive. I look forward to experiencing the dual-clutch with the 2.4.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

The interior colors that I saw were Espresso (leatherette) and Graystone (leather). The shades for both colors were a bit off to me. I'd go with the Ebony.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by acura15
Even though I'm only interested in the 2.4, I stopped by a dealer today to see the BWP and leatherette in person. My initial impressions:

- The pearl is nice. Pics tend to hide the depth of the color, making it look like a metallic.

- The leatherette was good. Sure, it's not as soft as the Milano leather, but it's a nice alternative if you're not interested in the Tech package.

- The driver's seat was comfortable, but could use bigger bolsters. That being said, the leatherette seemed to have more grip than the leather, so it might not be a big deal.

- The opening for the fold-down seats was small and oval-shaped. Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on hauling much, and it's better than not having fold-down seats at all. But it was still a bit odd.

- The interior materials were good but not great. As one reviewer said, it's what you'd expect from an Acura but nothing more. Room was good, but more like a TSX than a TL.

- The exterior was your typical Honda/Acura, which isn't bad. I like the front and rear, along with the 3/4 views. The side view is just OK.

- Overall, it's what I'm looking for... An upgrade over an Accord with value in mind. Of course, the final verdict will come after a test drive. I look forward to experiencing the dual-clutch with the 2.4.
Nice to hear from someone that's seen a base model (leatherette)...as all seem to have been tech packages so far. I'm getting a base model and was interested to hear about the leatherette. Did you happen to take any pics of the interior (seats)?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:41 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayb082
Nice to hear from someone that's seen a base model (leatherette)...as all seem to have been tech packages so far. I'm getting a base model and was interested to hear about the leatherette. Did you happen to take any pics of the interior (seats)?
Sorry, no pics. But AFAIK, the seats are the same for all models, just the material is different?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:48 PM
Racer

Sorry, no pics. But AFAIK, the seats are the same for all models, just the material is different?
Right - just the material is different. Was just curious how the leatherette looked in person. Ordered my 4cyl. (silver) but no ETA. I'm coming from an 09 TSX which had leather, so I'm wondering how the leatherette compares. Does it look like leather? I assume was pretty comfortable?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Went to test drive a TLX V6 FWD today. This is one well made auto, looked excellent, the right size. Saw a white with expresso which will be the color my wife wants, and we liked it a lot. Will probably get the SH-AWD, but would like to try the 4 cyl.

Test drive:
The only problem we both agreed on, was that the transmission felt like it was hesitating to shift. Normally, my wife would not notice something like this, so to us it seems to be an issue. Otherwise, the engine felt strong, but the hesitation detracted from the experience. This hesitation was noticed as well in sport and for me to a lesser degree in sport+.

This seems to be noted in some on the replies, and not others. I wonder whether some cars have the issue,and some don't. In fairness, we did not drive the car very long, and the car was green, with only 60 miles.

When I first drove it, my first impression was this car felt like a Mercedes, that is the ride. It is one fine ride. Handling was good, but since I am coming from a '10 TL SH-AWD manual, it was of course not as buttoned down. It felt less weight than the '10.

In all, I think Acura hit a home run with this vehicle, but as noted above, the transmission seems like it could be better.
Stew4HD (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 04:23 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jayb082
Right - just the material is different. Was just curious how the leatherette looked in person. Ordered my 4cyl. (silver) but no ETA. I'm coming from an 09 TSX which had leather, so I'm wondering how the leatherette compares. Does it look like leather? I assume was pretty comfortable?
If I didn't know it was leatherette, I would've thought it was just a lower quality leather than the Milano. I thought it was pretty comfortable, but I'd imagine the cushioning is the also the same between the seats.
jayb082 (08-09-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Racer

If I didn't know it was leatherette, I would've thought it was just a lower quality leather than the Milano. I thought it was pretty comfortable, but I'd imagine the cushioning is the also the same between the seats.
Awesome, thanks!
Old 08-09-2014, 04:30 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 91NSX
The only problem we both agreed on, was that the transmission felt like it was hesitating to shift. Normally, my wife would not notice something like this, so to us it seems to be an issue. Otherwise, the engine felt strong, but the hesitation detracted from the experience. This hesitation was noticed as well in sport and for me to a lesser degree in sport+.
I'm really curious to see if the dual-clutch behaves the same way. It could be a deal breaker for me, especially coming from a manual. Of course, it could also just be a matter of updated shift software/logic.

Quick Reply: 5th Generation Acura TL Reviews