2018 TLX Spy Shots

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Given the crappy weather we are about to have, I would hold on to your TLX at least until the spring/summer and make the financial hit a little less and enjoy your new A4 for the start of the summer season. That is just me.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:52 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
^^ Weather , logically, you are right , but every morning that I drive my TLX and it "bumps" my head at every traffic stop , I hate it more and more.
I just want to see the numbers first and I'll decide at the end with my pocket , but if it wouldn't be now , on spring the latest she is gone...
Old 12-11-2016, 08:07 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,582 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
I am very appreciative of this quote - I am a HUGE fan of this site and the members here. I know that at times, I bash Acura hard but I try to be as unbiased as possible, I am not an ANTI Acura nor a fanboy, just a person who praises the great things Acura have done and some of the recent mis-steps they have taken lately. It is nice to see that some people enjoy my contribution despite having a twisted sense of humor at times Had I been able to give you a double thanks for this post, I would have
Respect brother! Your input is very valuable...we need members like yourself.
The following users liked this post:
weather (12-11-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
I believe 60% or + of the members complain about Acura. Based on the feedback, AZ will have very few members in the next couple of years. I assume those of you who hate Acura cars will move on to Infiniti, Lexus, BMW, MB, Audi or Cadi.!
I admit, I'm very interested in what people on this forum go to after a TL or TLX so I appreciate their posts when they state what they'll get next. Not everyone is going to get a similar car but I pretty much always look up what car they say they are switching to next. I'm not exactly a gearhead who knows every model on the market so I look at a few things typically - mpg (must get 30mpg city), 0-60 (must be under 7.5 sec), interior (must have decent dash tech and seats) and exterior (must be more attractive than a 4G TL IMO- pretty low bar to pass). I don't know for sure what car I'll get next but I don't want to be stuck doing research from scratch should something happen to my car so I like having some ideas.

Last edited by boe_d; 12-11-2016 at 09:05 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:46 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by boe_d
I admit, I'm very interested in what people on this forum go to after a TL or TLX so I appreciate their posts when they state what they'll get next. Not everyone is going to get a similar car but I pretty much always look up what car they say they are switching to next. I'm not exactly a gearhead who knows every model on the market so I look at a few things typically - mpg (must get 30mpg city), 0-60 (must be under 7.5 sec), interior (must have decent dash tech and seats) and exterior (must be more attractive than a 4G TL IMO- pretty low bar to pass). I don't know for sure what car I'll get next but I don't want to be stuck doing research from scratch should something happen to my car so I like having some ideas.
I've been a TL owner since the my 96 model. I have owned ever generation there is with he exception of the TLX. I jumped to the MDX. The best TL I owned was the 2014 TL SH-AWD. That is the single feature that kept me with with acura once I drove one for the SH-AWD with my 09 TL. I don't really care for the newer MDX's as you have to pay premium for the SH-AWD and to me its worthless without SH-AWD. So I jumped to the 2012 MDX. I've never really liked SUV's but the MDX was an exception. If I go back to a sedan, the TLX current version will not be the car for me. Not to take away from those that love their TLX, to each their own.
Old 12-12-2016, 01:01 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I haven't read through all of the posts here yet but glanced at the couple of "spy photos" that were linked. As I posted elsewhere I was invited to one of those focus things several months ago that was obviously sponsored by Acura. The vehicle under consideration was touted to be the next TL/TLX and it looked very much like the Acura Precision Concept--a real stunner. In comparison, the "spy photos" going around now are a huge disappointment compared to what Acura was showing at the focus event.
Yea I think it's MMC vs FMC.

I don't think the MMC will be enough - too little - too late. It is just my opinion but if they are remotely close they should start with the SeismicGuy model ASAP. I migrate networks for a living and I frequently tell customers they'd be better off starting from scratch if I don't see enough good foundation in their current environment. Same as I do on home repairs in my spare time. When I redid my girlfriends bathroom - I tore out EVERYTHING even the backer board. I redid the electrical, toilet, bathtub, floor tiling cabinet, sink lighting - not because I enjoy giving up my free time but because it was the right way to solve the problems. If slapping a new grill on the current model was all it took I'd say so but I don't think so. If they made the current model in 2009 I'd say an MMC with a new grill would be fine but this car really doesn't have enough of a foundation to salvage other than the Acura reputation which is going down in the sedan market faster than a girl with daddy issues and a lack of self confidence on prom night.
I think that's the plan going forward with the Precision Concept and the Precision Cockpit - starting from scratch.

In the mean time, the MMC still needs to happen for the TLX. While it's not selling all that well, Acura is probably still making good money off it. It's not like it's at ILX or even RLX level of sales. Other than the exterior changes, adding the 2.0T to the line up while replacing that ZF tranny would be ideal. While we won't see the Precision cockpit in the MMC, I think they can add more features such as Apple carplay, android auto, nicer materials, etc. For performance, add the sport hybrid awd system for a 350hp model, along with performance suspension and nicer tires.

I have owned many Acura products and my test drive of the TLX was enough to keep me away from the brand. When I read the latest consumer reports for cars, ALL, and I mean ALL Acura sedans couldn't get a "recommended" mark - Only the RDX and the MDX did! That is pretty pathetic if you ask me. While we bash on Audi and BMW, they faired MUCH better than Acura and that is worrisome for a brand who is trying to re-establish its credibility. I owned the 4G TL and yes, it was a polarizing design but it was a great car and felt much more dynamic than the TLX.

It is one thing when you get bashed for the sheet metal provided your cars are reliable and fun to drive - you can correct a poorly designed vehicle. That being said, when you lose your reputation as far as reliability and such, that is MUCH MORE concerning. I didn't mind driving a polarizing but fun to drive car, but I would never drive a good looking shitty car - that is why many people have left and the damage they have done to their brand could take a long while to recover.

I would LOVE to get behind the wheel of another Acura, I really would and I keep holding on to the idea they'll finally see the light and get their act together but since 2009 or so, we have been doing nothing but hoping their design will improve (which they did) only to have it at the expense of reliability. Acura....we want RELIABLE, GOOD LOOKING and FUN cars - Please don't substitute one for the other.
Consumer Reports have been "surprising" in recent years. For instance, they don't recommend the new Civic, even though it's been highly praised by many other publications. Cars that Consumers Reports don't recommend include the Audi A3, F-150, Jetta, and GTI.

Originally Posted by keith7120
I've been a TL owner since the my 96 model. I have owned ever generation there is with he exception of the TLX. I jumped to the MDX. The best TL I owned was the 2014 TL SH-AWD. That is the single feature that kept me with with acura once I drove one for the SH-AWD with my 09 TL. I don't really care for the newer MDX's as you have to pay premium for the SH-AWD and to me its worthless without SH-AWD. So I jumped to the 2012 MDX. I've never really liked SUV's but the MDX was an exception. If I go back to a sedan, the TLX current version will not be the car for me. Not to take away from those that love their TLX, to each their own.
What do you mean you have to pay premium for SH-AWD in the newer MDX? I think it's more like they made a FWD model at a lower price point, you know, providing choices for customers....? $2k for SH-AWD is a pretty neat deal I'd think.
Old 12-12-2016, 02:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
As long as Marek is still in charge of design at Acura, aesthetics will continue to be an issue.

I tried at first giving the 'hawk toting designer the benefit of the doubt- "He's eccentric. He's what a designer should look like."

But it has become clear his poor taste in personal style is also reflected in his car designs. Some love his work. But people vary greatly. And there's nothing wrong with what they like or love. But that doesn't mean the majority feels the same as them.

Its no different here. Plenty like it. But even more want something else.
The following 2 users liked this post by TacoBello:
pyrodan007 (12-12-2016), Rocket_man (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 04:24 PM
VR1
Itz JDM y0!

Received 443 Likes on 290 Posts
There are some pics on FB of the MMC TLX with very little camo. The rear end looks MUCH more aggressive with the exhaust tips and it looked like it had some type of sports bumper/diffuser under the rear camo.
quantum7 (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts

This is what VR1 is referring to....thanks for the heads up. Had not seen these yet.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Texas325 (12-30-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
I am seeing big wheels and thin tires
Old 12-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by quantum7

This is what VR1 is referring to....thanks for the heads up. Had not seen these yet.
For about the first three seconds, I honest to god thought that you posted a picture of a ~2008 Camry

Old 12-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Team Owner

Not gonna lie... It looks much better with the addition of the pipes and fog lights. I'm interested to see how it looks with all the plastic wrap off. I feel like I can get behind the TLX now, with the MMC facelift, as far as looks are concerned, anyway.

Though i do remember being told that luxury cars shouldn't have fog lights anymore
Old 12-12-2016, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7

i hope those are not the final exhaust, I was hoping for flush, but then what do I care not likely going to own another Acura for a long time if ever at all.
Old 12-12-2016, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Also it looks like it has dual badging on the trunk. The SHAWD badge is normally on the passenger side...this appears to have another badge on the drivers side...
Old 12-12-2016, 07:17 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Type S maybe??!

IN all seriousness, this MMC seems like an improvement with nicer wheels, better tires, some enhanced styling cues but for me, I didn't dislike the TLX styling as much as the interior and especially the tranny! If those are improved, I would consider coming back....I said CONSIDER
TacoBello (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 07:22 PM
AZ Community Team

Looks much better tan current model...I think there will be a hybrid version. check on driver side over the fender, they hide the badge.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ That could be the Type S logo, or A spec or SH-SH-AWD

Or the "Powered by ZF" logo which if is the case, no one should ever remove the tape!! (lol)
Old 12-12-2016, 07:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TacoBello
As long as Marek is still in charge of design at Acura, aesthetics will continue to be an issue.

I tried at first giving the 'hawk toting designer the benefit of the doubt- "He's eccentric. He's what a designer should look like."
I just don't get why he can make the NSX look so nice and everything else he makes looks like a steaming pile of $#!+!!! It's like he designed the NSX, then smoked crack 24x7 for about a week, got hit in the head with a 2x4, then a shovel, then a rock, he did crack for a few more days to get rid of the headaches and then started work on the rest of the acura lineup (while going through withdrawals and getting the shakes). If it weren't for the nice NSX I'd say the only reason he managed to get his job was he was the only applicant that had autocad on his or her resume.

Maybe he has that split personality disorder and one side is a talented car designer and the one of his other personalities was in charge of the TLX.

Last edited by boe_d; 12-12-2016 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:20 PM
Team Owner

He didn't pen the NSX. Michelle Christiansen did. I'm sure he was involved in it, but he didn't come up with the design. He probably just approved aspects of it.

Actually, now that I think of it, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe he was design lead yet when the NSX was being designed. He was likely busy putting his confused, transformers loving, vanilla inspired hands on the RDX 2G or something rather.
Old 12-12-2016, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks for clarifying! Can we get her lined up for the next TLX design?
Old 12-12-2016, 09:06 PM
AZ Community Team

Or the "Powered by ZF" logo which if is the case, no one should ever remove the tape!! (lol)
lol @ZF.

I think it will be SH-SH-AWD.
Old 12-12-2016, 09:53 PM
Racer

He didn't pen the NSX. Michelle Christiansen did. I'm sure he was involved in it, but he didn't come up with the design. He probably just approved aspects of it.

Actually, now that I think of it, if I'm not mistaken, I don't believe he was design lead yet when the NSX was being designed. He was likely busy putting his confused, transformers loving, vanilla inspired hands on the RDX 2G or something rather.

Technically the original concept from way back in 2012 was designed by someone in Japan. I'm having trouble finding it on mobile.

Christensen led the exterior rework after the engine switched to longitudinal.
TacoBello (12-13-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts

Thanks for clarifying! Can we get her lined up for the next TLX design?
She was in charge of the ZDX. There was a $1B Acura could have better spent somewhere else.
Old 12-13-2016, 05:58 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
Technically the original concept from way back in 2012 was designed by someone in Japan. I'm having trouble finding it on mobile.

Christensen led the exterior rework after the engine switched to longitudinal.
△This.

And her ZDX design should've worked better on a longitudinal platform, so was Marek's 4G TL.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:20 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
so, what we're trying to say is; FIRE ALL THE DESIGNERS and HIRE more respected designers
boe_d (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 06:42 AM
MSZ
Lola

Received 257 Likes on 150 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
so, what we're trying to say is; FIRE ALL THE DESIGNERS and HIRE more respected designers
All they need is rehire some of the Japanese designers who did the Honda Rafaga:

Honda design at its prime plus the magic of the longitudinal platform.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 522 Likes on 334 Posts
Looks really good, and I like those rims.

I wonder if this will be the first car to get the 10AT?
Old 12-13-2016, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
^^ Type S maybe??!

IN all seriousness, this MMC seems like an improvement with nicer wheels, better tires, some enhanced styling cues but for me, I didn't dislike the TLX styling as much as the interior and especially the tranny! If those are improved, I would consider coming back....I said CONSIDER
Not sure if it's just me but that blue seems different from the fathom blue. Looks interesting. It ain't no Type S that's for sure, brakes are the same as my TL-eX...
Old 12-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
She was in charge of the ZDX. There was a $1B Acura could have better spent somewhere else.
Originally Posted by MSZ
△This.

And her ZDX design should've worked better on a longitudinal platform, so was Marek's 4G TL.
Say what you want, but I love the ZDX! Most of AZ hates it, but there's a small group of us who do like it.

I know. We're crazy.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:49 AM

speaking of X......
which model is this one?!?!?

saw it on my commute home one evening
Old 12-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by iforyou
Consumer Reports have been "surprising" in recent years. For instance, they don't recommend the new Civic, even though it's been highly praised by many other publications. Cars that Consumers Reports don't recommend include the Audi A3, F-150, Jetta, and GTI.
When you read the comment sections, they explain that the electronics has created many problems and the reason they can't recommend the car at this point. They are praising the dynamics and improvements in general - Most publication mostly comment on things like handling, styling, stopping/accelerating and features in the car. That is my theory anyway.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

The front end looks to be more fluid with the new grill, as opposed to some of the early renderings we were exposed to. Those 3rd party renderings really didn't do the car justice, but Acura may have executed it correctly on the TLX. I'm kind of excited to see this car in the flesh.

If the drive/powertrain still sucks, at least I'll appreciate seeing a good looking car on the roads!

Whatever is on the front quarter panel, I just hope it doesn't say "3.5" or "3.7" or something, like Infiniti did. Those badges they put on are an eye sore.
Old 12-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
speaking of X......
Don't tell me I'll have to start posting pictures of my exes (x)?!?! (lol)
The following 2 users liked this post by weather:
justnspace (12-13-2016), pyrodan007 (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 10:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Wow, Acura is finally testing it's Model X in the streets without camo! Interesting that the X is the same size as the ILX, good replacement for it
justnspace (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 10:55 AM
Racer

I'm trying to think of how many Acura's have ever had dual badging like that where one of the badges wasn't "Acura".

The 3G TL-S had Acura on one side, the caliper logo in the middle, and then TL-S on the passenger side.

The TSX Special Edition had FOUR badges on the back: "Acura", logo, "TSX" and "Special Edition" - but on the "Special Edition" was on the bottom of the trunk.

The current ILX A-Spec, in the US, has zero badging for A-Spec.

And as far as I know no current Acura has the word "Acura" on the car.

As pointed out by others there does appear to be a front quarter panel/front fender badge. The current RLX Sport Hybrid has that badge as does the forthcoming MDX Sport Hybrid. But both of those just have one badge signifying that on the trunk: the SH-AWD logo with the SH in blue.

If we assume that this is a Sport Hybrid then the driver's side badge on the trunk could be an A-Spec badge I guess. A Sport Hybrid A-Spec TLX.

If it's not a Sport Hybrid then we're sort of reaching for explanations. The 1G RDX did have a "turbo" badge. This could be a SHAWD 2.0T model with a "Turbo" badge on the trunk...and maybe the front quarter panel badge is an A-spec? That's a little messy but Canadian Acura ILX A-specs have a fender badge. A TLX SHAWD 2.0T A-Spec?

I kind of like the Turbo explanation better probably - why give the Sport Hybrid such ridiculously huge exhaust openings??

Also this could all just be misplaced tape I guess.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:37 AM
Rae Ray

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by iutodd
If we assume that this is a Sport Hybrid then the driver's side badge on the trunk could be an A-Spec badge I guess. A Sport Hybrid A-Spec TLX
I think you hit the nail on the head. Judging by the direction taken for the MDX, RLX and ILX. The TLX seems more likely the to see a Sport Hybrid A-Spec for the MMC. I don't see a Type-S in cards here.
Old 12-13-2016, 11:40 AM
Pro

Received 534 Likes on 262 Posts
Where is Nexx??? Didn't he share some inside scoop before...

I'm thinking they will put type R engine for the 4 banger. However, TLX Type S should get a significant power increase so who knows....
Old 12-13-2016, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by dmski
Where is Nexx??? Didn't he share some inside scoop before...

I'm thinking they will put type R engine for the 4 banger. However, TLX Type S should get a significant power increase so who knows....
No, they wont do that.
they have the normal 1.5 turbo civics that they could use.
but def. wont use the Type-R engine, as the U.S. Spec'd version isnt even here yet.
TacoBello (12-13-2016)
Old 12-13-2016, 12:15 PM
Team Owner

And I doubt it's an A-spec. There's no kit on the car.
MSZ (12-13-2016)

Quick Reply: 2018 TLX Spy Shots