2015 TLX 1 year update (warning long post)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
2015 TLX 1 year update (warning long post)

For those of you that have followed me over the years I thought I would post an updated review of my 2015 TLX Advance SH-AWD. As a refresher my initial review can be found at https://acurazine.com/forums/fifth-g...g-post-937727/

So my TLX is 11 months old and has about 10,500 miles on it. This is by far the least miles I have put on a car in 12 months in probably 15 or more years. I used to do a lot of driving over the years, but the last 2 years that has decreased mostly due to me slowing down a bit, getting busier at work and being tied up in a major home renovation last year. This TLX has been primarily a commuter car and some errands around town. We have not done any major trips, nor honestly would I want to in this car (more on that later).

I will try not to rehash too much of the items I covered in the review posted above in as much detail, but will cover the highlights. If you have seen my posts throughout the forum you know the 2 biggest complaints, I have with the TLX is the 9 SPD ZF tranny and the infotainment system. Those 2 things are clearly draining the life force of any enjoyment out of this vehicle. So let me get started:

As many of you have questioned let me again clarify I do not expect the TLX to compare at parity with my Audi or my Infiniti. I made a very conscientious trade-off to adjust my cost of living expenses for the next few years and the TLX was the only AWD vehicle at the price point I needed to stay within.

Powertrain:
Other than the tranny the overall drivetrain is very good, SH-AWD performs as expected and the engine if adequate, but not impressing any torque enthusiasts. This car screams for a 320+ HP forced induction variant of some type. As for the tranny, well what is there to say that has not been said a million times. I have a late 15 build so I fall outside of the worst problems, but even with latest TSBs this thing is an embarrassment to ZF and Acura. I never drove a car with a tranny that was so confused so often, so laggy in doing its job or inconsistent in its behavior. A newbie learning a manual transmission can do a better job than this tranny does. I honestly can’t believe even the much praised 16 builds are really that much better, if they are then shame on Acura for not recalling this junk. I will give them credit that the combo of engine and tranny for an AWD vehicle allows for some very impressive MGP, I routinely get 22+ MPG in driving that my Audi and Infiniti barely could get 20. Also on the highway I can easily get upward of 30 where my Audi and Infiniti rarely could touch 26MPG. BUT, and a big BUT here, I will take the lower MPG and a better tranny in the Audi ZF any day of the week over the TLX setup.

Suspension:
The TLX suspension is above average, but I will take a DWB (Infiniti or 4G TL) or Audi suspension any day of the week. The TKX is decent behaved, but when pushed becomes a little con-compliant. The biggest obstacle to a satisfactory ride was the absolute garbage Goodyear tires from the factory. Again shame on Acura for all the cost cutting in the wrong places. Go back to Michelin ASAP. I within 2 weeks replaced the factory garbage with Continental DWS-06 and they are amazing tires. Great wet/dry grip and corning is as good or better than Michelin AS03 that I had on my Audi.

Features:
Overall the features on the TLX Advance are nothing extraordinary compared to any other vehicle.

Audio – To me ELS has lost its luster, while still cleaner than the Audio or Infiniti Bose it seems weak and anemic compared to the 4G TL.

Navigation – I struggle to name another auto brand that has not surpassed Acura’s navigation. This is basically not much different than the 3G navi from 2004. The voice recognition is mediocre and there are a few addresses when I enter them via voice or manually cause the Navi to reboot (same on wife’s RDX). Acura Link is also behind just about everyone else. You must use their custom Bing driven app which is weak and the in car phone based version is horrible as it will read you choices one at a time that you must select from and better know the exact addresses, and if I knew that why would I be calling Acura Link? Provide a simple Audi like Google search and also Send to Car functionality.

Infotainment – The overall Infotainment experience is weak. The dual screens, while you get used to them, never feel like they were designed to work together and sometimes complement each other and other times confuse you. The fairly monochromatic low contrast interaction a slight variation of their presentation for the last dozen plus years. Note to Acura, this is 2016 and the smart phone era, people are used to more intuitive engaging interfaces. I had an iPhone 6 plus and now a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and could never get Spotify working right and would never show song info. I finally went to Google music and it works decent, but occasional has sync issues. Even the wife (has a 16 RDX Advance AWD) is fed up with their crappy infotainment and she is not picky at all.

Safety Tech – The safety features are about on par with everyone else, nothing great and nothing real horrible. I do find the LKAS less annoying than my Audi, but it is far more finicky on engaging and more sensitive to ideal pavement markings. The BLIS is average and here to me Audi is the gold standard with variable intensity of lighting of the BLIS to indicate the distance narrowing gap of the approaching vehicle. The backup camera is also about what I would expect on any mainstream car.

HVAC – Here is the one area I think Acura is the gold standard. On virtually every non-Honda/Acura car I have owned as outside temps very I need to always fiddle with temp settings as I have yet to have a car that was good at truly maintaining the desired temp. Acura I have had my temp set on 72 for 13 months and rarely ever touch it. Whether it is just great temperature regulation and/or their GPS features I give them kudos for that.

Lighting – No difference from what I stated original a year ago.

Comfort – Pretty much what I said a year ago, they are OK seats, nothing great, but would not take a 4+ hour drive in this car (nor would I in my Audi). I need a large sedan like my Infiniti, it truly was a very comfortable seat without giving up much support.

Materials – Well this is where Acura’s cost cutting came into play. The leather quality is back to the 3G era. The 4G Tech AWD Milano leather was far better quality and held up better than the 5G TLX. The leather has a few wrinkles already and just does not feel like a luxury car should. I will say Audi was very utilitarian leather, felt worse, but held up great. The soft touch areas are barely soft, like they have less softness or padding than I would expect. Again the Koreans are in the same league here with Acura if you drive an Azera, Cadenza, or even a loaded Optima.

Style – Very much what I originally said. This is a decent looking car, the MMC should bring some real nice touches, but overall a slightly better than bland look especially from the front. Side and rear views actually represent the car mush better, the rather pug nose beak is distracting from the front.

Overall: The tranny and Infotainment have really taken their toll on me. I tolerate this TLX and if I could get rid of it without a loss it would be gone in a microsecond. I would say it is acceptable as a daily commuter, and on most days it is, but when you are in one of those fraction of a second decisions to take a lane, merge with traffic of take a turn you have a slight hesitation in your head about whether the tranny will come through or put you in risk of an accident. As I mentioned a year ago and it is more true a year later, the competition in this segment is ferocious. The Koreans are Acura’s biggest threat. When Genesis introduces their lower segment model it could be a huge threat for Acura. Three of my friends recently bought Kia’s 2 Optimas and 1 Sorrento and having been in all of them the quality is on par and the infotainment is light years ahead as well as build quality.

If you look back at my original review, I was very pleased with my TLX, but that I only had the car a week. In hindsight would I buy this car again, NO. I would have probably kept my Audi a few more months until the revised Optimas were in showrooms and probably looked at a loaded Optima. Granted a loaded Optima would not have been discounted and likely would have cost slightly more than my TLX, but the overall experience would likely have been better. Or I would have waited to see the new A4 even though that would have been considerably more. I was able to accomplish my fiscal goals by moving to the TLX, but my enjoyment of driving has all but vanished. I did look at the new Acura concept for their new infotainment/dash set up and while conceptually it looks to be game changing that will depend on when it arrives. If it is in the 6G TLX then maybe they can get their act together with the new grilles, maybe a 300+ HP forced induction Sport model and some better materials. The marriage of TSX and TL to me was a mistake because the RLX was a dud. Dump the RLX, resurrect the TL (especially dimensions) and move it slightly up market and make the TLX the TSX. My pessimistic side says Acura is doomed to be in its current state of just mediocre near-luxury cars and some really good SUVs. Even my wife, who has loved her RDXs is about done and looking at Kia/Hyundai as their interiors and infotainment are far more appealing.

What next? I have dumped cars at a loss that I have hated less, but at my age and fiscal responsibility I can’t do that. While I really dislike the car I will tolerate it through the next almost 2 years of my lease. This is the beauty of a lease; I know there is an end date. No need to feel pressure to dump at a loss because I will be doomed in a car I dislike, just that I have to endure until I can explore better options.

What car next? Too far off to be sure, but I will go one of 2 ways. I will stay mid-sized and lease something like an A4 or Q50S or even an Optima or Cadenza, or I will go back to full size sedans and then the top 2 I eye are the Genesis G80 Sport or whatever the next Gen Q70 brings. My M37S was truly a great mix of size, handling comfort and power and I enjoyed driving and looking at that car. If it were not for the dated infotainment in that car I would have gotten another one rather than my A6. In 2 years the Genesis G80 will also be close for a refresh and they are head in an amazing direction and I can’t wait to see their other offerings.

I have been a huge Acura guy and fan since my first 3G TL in 2004 and with my wife we have owned 12 Honda products since 2004 so I respect what they are and where they came from, but unless things change this will probably be my final Honda product as I suspect at my age I have maybe 3 more cars left.
The following 13 users liked this post by KeithL:
2011TL (11-20-2016), BEAR-AvHistory (11-21-2016), hadokenuh (11-21-2016), JT4 (11-21-2016), justnspace (11-21-2016), Mr Hyde (11-21-2016), quantum7 (11-20-2016), randomRon82 (11-20-2016), Rocket_man (11-20-2016), TacoBello (11-22-2016), Warrior 6 (11-20-2016), weather (11-20-2016), WheelMcCoy (11-20-2016) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AcuraLink does have send to car functionality. The associated mapping app appears to be Apple maps.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by cube1
AcuraLink does have send to car functionality. The associated mapping app appears to be Apple maps.
Correct, but I meant was the ability from any browser in Google Maps to be able to use the send to car function, with Acura Link you have to use their app and it is bad, I thought it was Bing search under the covers, if it is apple maps then Apple Maps still has a long way to go compared to Google Maps.
Old 11-19-2016, 11:06 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Keith, I agree 110%. Nice writing. I have same feelings vs TLX. Lucky it's a lease and I hope by late next summer - fall to unload it without a loss.
Probably an A4 or new Q5 will be my choice or whatever other brands have to offer at that time.
Old 11-20-2016, 07:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Keith....You provided a very good and detailed writing on the TLX and I hope the folks at Acura will take the time to read and learn from their mistakes. It is a shame to see how a the brand had such a good reputation in the early to mid 2000 only to let it spiral out of control. I can't understand why so of the executives and the senior team at Acura still can draw a pay cheque but I digress. Like you, I have always enjoyed the Acura products and I have had at least one (or two) Acura products in my driveway since 2005 until this fall. Part of me still want to come to the brand but I feel it will not happen, I want to hold hope that they'll learn from their mistakes, improve their designs, provide more fun to drive factor but there appears to be no hope in sight.

On top of that, they can't seem to leak any hint of what is to come, and I know that is very typical of Acura.....When you have a great following and you want to keep your fans and buyers excited and on edge, it makes sense, sort of builds the hype. When you are in the dump and you see your sales drop significantly, loyal followers abandoning the brand, poor reviews and such, you need to start building the hype again and you don't do that by keeping a low profile. To me, I get the impression that Acura has NO IDEA what to do next, they can't seem to get anything right including their marketing.

I am aware that I will get some bashing for saying what I did, but in all seriousness, Acura used to be a brand I was proud to be driving and enjoyed for its reliability and well crafted vehicles but I can't say this anymore. There are many great options now and I doubt that I'll be back. Even if they design a very sexy car again, all the problems I have read on here has left me questioning their once solid quality reputation. If I going to be driving a vehicle with a questionable reliability, I might as well drive something sexier and feeling more luxurious. I must admit that Lexus has now earned my trust and admiration and while the styling is very polarizing, the quality is second to none. My 4G TL was polarizing but incredibly fun to drive too and felt more sportier (in the way it drove) and had a sexier interior than the TLX (In my opinion).

I don't want to say I will never get an another Acura because I don't want to be laughed at if I ever post here again in a few years with a new Acura BUTTTTTT I can say that the odds of that happening is getting less likely. As I get older, I realize there are fewer cars left for me to drive so I will get what really screams at me and right now, the TLX in its current state doesn't do that for me.
The following users liked this post:
WheelMcCoy (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Keith, great post... I was one of the TLX early adopters and recently got rid of mine.. I've been wanting to make a similar post comparing some of the things that I didn't like about my TLX... with those same items in my current vehicle. This will be a long post too... lol

Background: I previously traded my 2012 Acura TL Tech/SH-AWD for a 2015 Acura TLX Advance/paws. I was not initially in love with the TLX as I had seen it in person several times before it was released... however I started to "like" the TLX... and for some reason I thought the car would grow on me if I got it. lol... It didn't grow on me. I did not HATE the TLX... it was a very decent car but Acura had an opportunity to make this a great car (which it was not). I started to dislike the car about 3 weeks after having it because of all the issues I had... however I tried to convince myself that this is what happens when you are an early adopter.

I now have a 2017 Infiniti Q60 coupe, 3.0t (twin turbo) AWD with Premium Plus Package and some other goodies... I am an early adopter of this vehicle. I've had it now for exactly 2 months. I am still in love with this car and very happy now. I am also having a very good experience overall with the Infiniti brand in general and its dealerships... very surprising how special they've made me feel versus my experience overall with Acura... the brand seems very very promising in terms of its future.

Now onto my comparison of things that I was sad about with my TLX:
Sound system:
TLX: ELS: A downgrade from my 4G TL... barely any bass was my main issue. I loved the ELS in my 4G TL... hated it in the TLX
Q60: Bose Performance Series: I absolutely love it... sounds amazing. An upgrade from the 4G TL ELS... no comparison to TLX ELS

Lighting:
TLX: No LED turn signals in front, no LED turn signals in the rear, no LED reverse lights
Q60: Everthing is LED including the turn signals. The front turn signals are LED switchbacks... the LED DRL's switch to turn signals.. it looks badass.The one thing I will say for the LED headlights is that the TLX headlights were slightly brighter than the ones on my Q60.. but not significantly. The reverse lights are also LED which makes the backup camera super clear at night! The puddle lights are bright white LEDs and in the door handle. The TLX puddle lights were dim (not to mention I had issues with them going out on a regular basis). I also have the door sill LED lights and I'm getting the available interior ambient lighting installed which Acura did not offer. If you're into it... you can also get some other cool lighting bits.. like an illuminated logo in the grille, ground lighting and etc. I go nuts about lights. lol

Interior:
TLX: The interior materials felt like a downgrade from my previous 4G TL... the leather on the TL was softer and more premium looking/feeling... there was available color contrast stitching on the seats, steering wheel and door panels that was no longer available with the TLX. The TLX door panel was covered in plastic... and did not look premium at all. The dashboard was covered in plastic.
Q60: Pretty much everything is color contrast stitched and looks very premium. The seats, steering wheel... lower dashboard, upper dashboard, door panels (even the very top of the door panels) are color contrast stitched and covered in soft material. The door panels look amazing... Even the very top of the door panels right below the windows are covered in a very soft faux leather material.

Infotainment/Navi etc:
TLX: The touchscreen was very dated looking and very slow to respond. I could not use a USB stick because it was impossible to scroll through albums/songs... tremendous lag. The backup camera was grainy... and took forever to load, particularly after first system boot up. I hated having to type in addresses... it was basically like using a T9 flip phone where you had to press a button... wait for a little bit.. press the next button... wait for a bit. UGH!!! I also had to get my entire system replaced only after a few weeks... it stopped working.
Q60: The infotainment system is a little dated... however it's significantly better than the TLX. It's much much faster... quick to load. Infiniti executed the dual screens much better than Acura... they make more sense. There's viritually no lag when scrolling through menus, typing things on the lower screen (addresses etc.)... significantly faster, no lag. The navigation is better. The backup camera is faster and clearer... especially at night with the LED reverse lights. I can use my USB again and it works perfectly... love the ease of finding particular albums, songs or artists in an instant.

AcuraLink versus Infiniti InTouch:
I could NEVER send maps to my TLX via AcuraLink... it never worked for me. It always works in my Infiniti. Acura did not have the option to remote start your car via AcuraLink... not sure if they made this feature available for 2017 however I can start and stop my Q60's engine via the smartphone app. It's amazing to be able to start my car while I'm in the office and it's in the detached garage on the 5th floor.... lol

Coupe body style:
I had been wanting to go back to a coupe for quite some time... and held out on Acura because I thought with all of the rumors that one would be out soon.... still haven't heard anything definitive and I was pretty unhappy with the TLX so when I found out about the Q60's availability I was elated.

Looks:
Looks are subjective of course and I know we're talking about a Coupe versus a Sedan, however I was not happy with the looks of the TLX. It did not feel special and blended in with everything else on the road. Now I am thrilled every time I get to see my car... lol. And for that matter, so is everyone else apparently... Random people are always telling me how awesome the car looks.. and asking me questions about it. I get stopped at gas stations, parking lots etc. I'm always catching long stares when stopped at a red light, lol. I definitely did not get any of this attention with the TLX.

Engine/Transmission/Driving:
I will not go into the issues that I had with the TLX transmission... but I will say that I had one of the early release 2015 models. It was a nightmare... software update after software update, it was still a nightmare... and Acura basically said there was nothing they could do. I was one of the folks that had a TLX that started to accelerate by itself. :-\
Q60: I have a 3 liter Twin-Turbo engine with AWD (rear-wheel drive biased)... as the Q50 and Q60 are rear-wheel drive based. It's very responsive and smooth. I am still not used to the smoothness and I always think that it's going to jerk when I accelerate or come to a stop or rock back and forth like crazy when I put it in park... and I'm just not used to that not happening. The ride for me is a bit bumpy versus the TLX on certain roads.... but I believe it's because I'm not used to 19" wheels on thin run-flat tires...

So in summary, I was unhappy for the 2 years that I had my TLX (I could go on and on even more)... I did take a hit financially as I had a year left on the lease (and the way that I've optioned my Q60 it was 10k more than the TLX Advance when I first got it)... but it was worth it. I was a bit angry at Acura for awhile, only because I know that they have so much potential... I'm still wishing them the best of luck and hoping they can get it together but I just don't see it happening any time soon... they have a long way to go. I am always routing for the underdogs.

Infiniti on the other hand, I strongly believe is on the right path and they will be the next to join the tier 1 league. They are an example of a brand that keeps trying... I think if you keep trying... and with great effort, you will eventually win. They are pumping out new products left and right, revamping dealerships, continuing to expand into new markets so on and so forth... They may have less US sales than Acura... however since they are in significantly more markets they have the ability to have a broader product portfolio and more to offer and they will be able to grow and become more successful... they seem to have a similar approach to Audi... which at times also had less sales in the US than Acura but were more successful overall. Acura apparently does not want to expand and grow so this will hurt them.

Last edited by randomRon82; 11-20-2016 at 12:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by randomRon82:
Rocket_man (11-20-2016), TheAcAvenger (11-20-2016), weather (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 12:52 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ Thanks for taking the time to do an A/B comparo between the Q60 and the TLX because I am eyeing a Q60 at the end of next summer when my IS350 Lease is up.
randomRon82 (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 891 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^ Thanks for taking the time to do an A/B comparo between the Q60 and the TLX because I am eyeing a Q60 at the end of next summer when my IS350 Lease is up.
Hey, Weather! No problemo
Old 11-20-2016, 02:02 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Keith

The resident forum Supreme Terminator Super Moderator is going to ban you for this post...watch out!!
Old 11-20-2016, 02:24 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
Really enjoyed the post on the TLX and the Q60 comparo. Great posts, fellas.
Old 11-20-2016, 09:43 PM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
Keith....You provided a very good and detailed writing on the TLX and I hope the folks at Acura will take the time to read and learn from their mistakes. It is a shame to see how a the brand had such a good reputation in the early to mid 2000 only to let it spiral out of control. I can't understand why so of the executives and the senior team at Acura still can draw a pay cheque but I digress. Like you, I have always enjoyed the Acura products and I have had at least one (or two) Acura products in my driveway since 2005 until this fall. Part of me still want to come to the brand but I feel it will not happen, I want to hold hope that they'll learn from their mistakes, improve their designs, provide more fun to drive factor but there appears to be no hope in sight.

On top of that, they can't seem to leak any hint of what is to come, and I know that is very typical of Acura.....When you have a great following and you want to keep your fans and buyers excited and on edge, it makes sense, sort of builds the hype. When you are in the dump and you see your sales drop significantly, loyal followers abandoning the brand, poor reviews and such, you need to start building the hype again and you don't do that by keeping a low profile. To me, I get the impression that Acura has NO IDEA what to do next, they can't seem to get anything right including their marketing.

I am aware that I will get some bashing for saying what I did, but in all seriousness, Acura used to be a brand I was proud to be driving and enjoyed for its reliability and well crafted vehicles but I can't say this anymore. There are many great options now and I doubt that I'll be back. Even if they design a very sexy car again, all the problems I have read on here has left me questioning their once solid quality reputation. If I going to be driving a vehicle with a questionable reliability, I might as well drive something sexier and feeling more luxurious. I must admit that Lexus has now earned my trust and admiration and while the styling is very polarizing, the quality is second to none. My 4G TL was polarizing but incredibly fun to drive too and felt more sportier (in the way it drove) and had a sexier interior than the TLX (In my opinion).

I don't want to say I will never get an another Acura because I don't want to be laughed at if I ever post here again in a few years with a new Acura BUTTTTTT I can say that the odds of that happening is getting less likely. As I get older, I realize there are fewer cars left for me to drive so I will get what really screams at me and right now, the TLX in its current state doesn't do that for me.
Have you watched this?
dezymond (11-21-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 09:48 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
Have you driven an A4 with virtual cockpit? And that isn't concept. It is here and now. By the Acura gets to this, the world will have moved past already.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:07 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by KeithL

Powertrain:
Other than the tranny the overall drivetrain is very good, SH-AWD performs as expected and the engine if adequate, but not impressing any torque enthusiasts. This car screams for a 320+ HP forced induction variant of some type. As for the tranny, well what is there to say that has not been said a million times. I have a late 15 build so I fall outside of the worst problems, but even with latest TSBs this thing is an embarrassment to ZF and Acura. I never drove a car with a tranny that was so confused so often, so laggy in doing its job or inconsistent in its behavior. A newbie learning a manual transmission can do a better job than this tranny does. I honestly can’t believe even the much praised 16 builds are really that much better, if they are then shame on Acura for not recalling this junk. I will give them credit that the combo of engine and tranny for an AWD vehicle allows for some very impressive MGP, I routinely get 22+ MPG in driving that my Audi and Infiniti barely could get 20. Also on the highway I can easily get upward of 30 where my Audi and Infiniti rarely could touch 26MPG. BUT, and a big BUT here, I will take the lower MPG and a better tranny in the Audi ZF any day of the week over the TLX setup.

Navigation – I struggle to name another auto brand that has not surpassed Acura’s navigation. This is basically not much different than the 3G navi from 2004. The voice recognition is mediocre ...

Infotainment – The overall Infotainment experience is weak. The dual screens, while you get used to them, never feel like they were designed to work together and sometimes complement each other and other times confuse you. The fairly monochromatic low contrast interaction a slight variation of their presentation for the last dozen plus years. Note to Acura, this is 2016 and the smart phone era, people are used to more intuitive engaging interfaces. ....

HVAC – Here is the one area I think Acura is the gold standard. On virtually every non-Honda/Acura car I have owned as outside temps very I need to always fiddle with temp settings as I have yet to have a car that was good at truly maintaining the desired temp. Acura I have had my temp set on 72 for 13 months and rarely ever touch it. Whether it is just great temperature regulation and/or their GPS features I give them kudos for that.

Materials – Well this is where Acura’s cost cutting came into play. ..... Again the Koreans are in the same league here with Acura if you drive an Azera, Cadenza, or even a loaded Optima.

Overall: The tranny and Infotainment have really taken their toll on me. I tolerate this TLX and if I could get rid of it without a loss it would be gone in a microsecond. I would say it is acceptable as a daily commuter, and on most days it is, but when you are in one of those fraction of a second decisions to take a lane, merge with traffic of take a turn you have a slight hesitation in your head about whether the tranny will come through or put you in risk of an accident. ....

If you look back at my original review, I was very pleased with my TLX, but that I only had the car a week. In hindsight would I buy this car again, NO. ..... I did look at the new Acura concept for their new infotainment/dash set up and while conceptually it looks to be game changing that will depend on when it arrives. If it is in the 6G TLX then maybe they can get their act together with the new grilles, maybe a 300+ HP forced induction Sport model and some better materials. The marriage of TSX and TL to me was a mistake because the RLX was a dud. Dump the RLX, resurrect the TL (especially dimensions) and move it slightly up market and make the TLX the TSX. My pessimistic side says Acura is doomed to be in its current state of just mediocre near-luxury cars and some really good SUVs. Even my wife, who has loved her RDXs is about done and looking at Kia/Hyundai as their interiors and infotainment are far more appealing.

What next? I have dumped cars at a loss that I have hated less, but at my age and fiscal responsibility I can’t do that. While I really dislike the car I will tolerate it through the next almost 2 years of my lease. This is the beauty of a lease; I know there is an end date. No need to feel pressure to dump at a loss because I will be doomed in a car I dislike, just that I have to endure until I can explore better options.

I have been a huge Acura guy and fan since my first 3G TL in 2004 and with my wife we have owned 12 Honda products since 2004 so I respect what they are and where they came from, but unless things change this will probably be my final Honda product as I suspect at my age I have maybe 3 more cars left.
Keith, it is like you read my mind. I have the FWD Advance of the same vintage as your AWD and agree with just about everything you said. The car has scared me more than a few times when the tranny did not GO when it hit the GO pedal and I really needed it to GO. Just can't count on this car, or apparently Acura. Great review.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:12 PM
Summer is Coming

Originally Posted by cube1
Have you driven an A4 with virtual cockpit? And that isn't concept. It is here and now. By the Acura gets to this, the world will have moved past already.
I haven't drive the A4 but I've seen the new displays. I'm not yet ready to dump the TLX becuase I don't want to take the financial hit just yet. But it will be on the short list for my next car. I agree, Acura is playing catch up and if this new tech is 2-3 years out they will still be behind.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 869 Likes on 413 Posts
And the NSX is FAR superior to all of these vehicles.......of course it costs a tad more. Seriously, my dealership has had two NSX's on display for the last two weeks and they are extremely impressive. Unfortunately, both sold before I could save the $250k.

On another note, I will remind everyone that the TLX is not just a 3.5 SH-AWD car. MANY people are more than happy to drive an entry luxury car that is a peppy 4 cylinder with a quick shifting transmission and lots of tech and safety features. I would put my 2016 2.4 Tech in that category. The Audi virtual cockpit is cool but does not come on anything but the Technik mode (about 15K more than my 2.4 Tech), otherwise, you are getting a system more in line with Acura's cockpit Multi-Information display. The virtual cockpit looks great, if not distracting, but, in fairness, what Acura is proposing looks somewhat beyond the scope of the current Audi system Of course, implementation is the critical piece and time will tell if Acura can deliver.

In the interim, it would be nice to have Apple/Google play in Acura next year. However, I wonder how much I need to play with a touch screen while I am in the vehicle. I can play music off my phone with two touches of the lower screen, either streaming, bluetooth, or USB connect. I can phone anyone with one button and a voice command - with the car system, or Siri (and I have no issues with voice commands), or even better, I push a steering wheel button, and use my frequently called numbers in my MID to make 90% of my calls in 3-4 seconds without voice. If I need NAVI, I load remotely before I get in the car, or use Acura Link to send it (works every time!!). I would love the one step voice command for a complete address that US folks have. As for climate, it truly is a superior system to most cars, and I find the boosted wattage and bass of the 2016 ELS in my TLX to be more than satisfying and extremely competitive. Disclaimer - of the almost 1500 songs on my HD, very few have thumping bass.

At the end of the day, if stuff bugs you and you can afford the extra K's, go for what you want. Just don't be surprised to find that Nirvana may have again eluded you. More money will always buy the next best thing, however briefly. For me, I'm happy to drive my current Acura until the end of the lease, without cutting into my entertainment and travel money Now....at 200 bucks a month, I will be able to get my NSX in.....well....long after I'm dead...
The following 3 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (11-21-2016), CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-21-2016), wlkeel (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 07:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by saturno_v
Keith

The resident forum Supreme Terminator Super Moderator is going to ban you for this post...watch out!!

You've been banned by multiple mods, and the decision was supported by the rest. Keep the antagonizing behavior up, and the next one won't be temporary.

Threads with different view points are fine, however trolling, and people who go out of their way just to troll will be dealt with accordingly.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 11-21-2016 at 07:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr Hyde:
a35tl (11-21-2016), Rocket_man (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:01 AM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
---------On another note, I will remind everyone that the TLX is not just a 3.5 SH-AWD car. MANY people are more than happy to drive an entry luxury car that is a peppy 4 cylinder with a quick shifting transmission and lots of tech and safety features. I would put my 2016 2.4 Tech in that category. -------(
Include me in that happy group. It's a comfortable, quiet, economical, and attractive mid-size sedan with good ergonomics and visibility (not often mentioned). While it's not an aggressive sports sedan, they threw in a bit of sportiness just for kicks
CheeseyPoofs McNut (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Senior Moderator

Nice post Keith. Addressing some of the things you mentioned would be a positive for Acura.

My tranny shifts fine after the second software update I had a year + ago, but Acura must be really kicking themselves for going to Zf after all the issues the 9 speed has had. I guess everyone banked on it performing like their 8 speed which has been a real work horse.

I disagree on the ELS Audio, I find it fantastic with the DTS turned on. My biggest disappointment is with the infotainment system as well. The software, and interface are not much different than my 2G TL Type-S, and while advanced back then, it is very behind the times now. I always thought of Acura pushing things forward in this area, but they've really been asleep behind the wheel with the software, and interface. The new dash concept which is similar to Audi's will be a nice leap frog forward, but they should have had much stronger offerings up to now. I Wonder how long until it actually makes it into production.

Regarding the climate control, I actually think BMW has it best with the ability to have heat, but also a blend door for the upper central vents. Yes I would fiddle a little more with it, but it made me the most comfortable. I think the temp settings in the TLX need a little calibration as my early release model has to be set to higher temperatures than on any of my other cars including my MDX.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by wlkeel
Include me in that happy group. It's a comfortable, quiet, economical, and attractive mid-size sedan with good ergonomics and visibility (not often mentioned). While it's not an aggressive sports sedan, they threw in a bit of sportiness just for kicks
Put me in the happy camp too. I came from a 13 Accord and the TLX was just the step-up I was looking for. Better ride, quieter cabin, and generally more upscale than the Accord. And while the CVT in the Accord was okay - the DCT (while not perfect) is certainly more fun/sporty to drive. My nits are mostly minor (no physical switches for the seat heaters!!) however the HVAC is one that I forgot about until my wife and I took it on a trip last weekend. The temps were in the mid to low 30's and the car gets the interior up to temp rather nicely, however when left on AUTO it wants to run the defroster on certain cycles which has the effect of blowing cool air out of the top vents which isn't very comfortable. I have to take it off AUTO and bump the temps up 3 or 4 degrees to maintain a nice warm cabin. Not a big deal but it seems to be less than optimal to blow cool air when the heater is running.

Overall, for the money I think the 2.4 tech a terrific car.
F23A4 (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 03:29 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf

On another note, I will remind everyone that the TLX is not just a 3.5 SH-AWD car. MANY people are more than happy to drive an entry luxury car that is a peppy 4 cylinder with a quick shifting transmission and lots of tech and safety features. I would put my 2016 2.4 Tech in that category. The Audi virtual cockpit is cool but does not come on anything but the Technik mode (about 15K more than my 2.4 Tech), otherwise, you are getting a system more in line with Acura's cockpit Multi-Information display. The virtual cockpit looks great, if not distracting, but, in fairness, what Acura is proposing looks somewhat beyond the scope of the current Audi system Of course, implementation is the critical piece and time will tell if Acura can deliver.
At least in the US, an A4 Ultra Premium with the Season of Audi package that includes the virtual cockpit starts just under $40k list. The A4 is still more than the 2.4L TLX, but more like $4-5k than $15k. Each has a few features that the other is missing, but seems like a decent comparison and Audi's virtual cockpit is available now.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:49 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Hyde
You've been banned by multiple mods, and the decision was supported by the rest. Keep the antagonizing behavior up, and the next one won't be temporary.

Threads with different view points are fine, however trolling, and people who go out of their way just to troll will be dealt with accordingly.

....do your job better next time because there were quite a bit of people that deserved to be banned, and I was not one of them for sure.

I'm a member of quite few forums (automotive and otherwise and well known) where sometimes I participate in fiery passionate discussions...I never ever got banned from any of them....never

Actually people sometimes private message me (including on here) to thank me for what I bring to the table.

Here you go, I found a good resource for you to learn how to be a good moderator.

Forum Moderator Training | OU Students Association
Old 11-21-2016, 04:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
....do your job better next time because there were quite a bit of people that deserved to be banned, and I was not one of them for sure.

I'm a member of quite few forums (automotive and otherwise and well known) where sometimes I participate in fiery passionate discussions...I never ever got banned from any of them....never

Actually people sometimes private message me (including on here) to thank me for what I bring to the table.

Here you go, I found a good resource for you to learn how to be a good moderator.

Forum Moderator Training OU Students Association
I think you may have pushed it too far this time. Quite arrogant and disrespectful.
Old 11-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

I won't comment on whether you should be banned or not. Not my responsibility. But, IMHO, your somewhat repetitive negativity for a vehicle you have never owned is at best, tiresome, and at its worst seems smug and self serving. Surely by now you have sufficiently "enlightened" TLX owners and should consider employing your expertise and energies elsewhere? I would simply add that when one is engaged in debating the pros and cons of different cars, these are not critical life changing issues. In such instances, how we express our opinions is usually as important as to what those opinions are. Finally, i would add that there are lots of posts that are positive discussions which never seem to draw your interest and comments, whereas owners who have had issues seem capable of looking at both the positives and negatives.
The following 13 users liked this post by mapleloaf:
a35tl (11-21-2016), atl7 (11-21-2016), Costco (11-21-2016), Curious3GTL (11-22-2016), F23A4 (11-23-2016), Mr Hyde (11-21-2016), oo7spy (11-22-2016), Quandry (11-22-2016), rockstar143 (11-22-2016), TacoBello (11-22-2016), thoiboi (11-22-2016), WheelMcCoy (11-26-2016), wlkeel (11-21-2016) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-21-2016, 05:46 PM

Help me out here - completely serious question for you - why do you take the time to come to the TLX forum?
Old 11-21-2016, 06:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Rocket_man.....I did see the video and while it is promising, I feel it will be quite a while before we see this and even question we'll see something like this actually implemented, I was hoping to see hints (spy shots) of exterior pics, when the MMC will come, transmission leaks, etc.

But I appreciate your post
Rocket_man (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

....do your job better next time
Thanks for the instructions, but been a mod here since Acurazine.com was Acura-TL.com where I was a mod who came over from Honda-Acura.net. We are going back to the 90's, and the days of dial-up AOL, and 14.4 modems.

I'll refer you back to the member agreements you checked off before joining.

As I said you were banned by myself, and another mod independent of each other, and when these actions were discussed in the moderator forum, they were agreed to by several other mods, AND the admins who run this forum. Another member was also banned temporarily, but they seemed to have learned during their time away.

Either way, since you have failed to grasp the rules here, you are no longer welcome, so I bid you adieu.

Last edited by Mr Hyde; 11-21-2016 at 08:38 PM.
The following 13 users liked this post by Mr Hyde:
a35tl (11-21-2016), atl7 (11-22-2016), Civic2TSX (11-22-2016), Curious3GTL (11-22-2016), HattoriHonda (11-21-2016), Quandry (11-22-2016), Rocket_man (11-22-2016), rockstar143 (11-22-2016), steve_97060 (11-21-2016), TacoBello (11-22-2016), thoiboi (11-22-2016), WheelMcCoy (11-26-2016), wlkeel (11-22-2016) and 8 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-21-2016, 08:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Overall, for the money I think the 2.4 tech a terrific car.
Seems like a common thread. The 4 cylinder guys are happy & the 6 cylinder not so much. Maybe its a combination of demographics, experiences & expectation. The 4 is a less expensive car that gets the job done as transportation & has not had major issues since introduced. The 6 cylinder costs more, may be aimed toward the more adventurous driver who is looking for more than basic transport, but has had repeated & continuing issues with the trans that can make spirited driving dangerous instead of fun.

One group tends to be satisfied with the current level of the technology in the car, the other expects a higher level than is offered & the perceived short comings are wearing thin after a period of ownership.

Guys with a longer history with the product say over 3/4 generations perceive a degrading of the overall quality of what the increasing prices are buying. At the same time the tide is rising with what similar priced cars are bring to the market, When you are showing a future concept in mockup which is something peer level competitors are all ready delivering you have as a company the problem you are seeing here. Long time fans pulling the eject handle.

I though the TLX was the car that would bring them back but maybe they just set the bar to low with what they delivered compared to the famous or maybe now infamous "Red Prototype"

Think about it, they did not even offer that killer paint color as an option on the production car. Even the red on my granddaughters CX-5 would make a statement on the TLX body shell.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-21-2016 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory

Think about it, they did not even offer that killer paint color as an option on the production car. Even the red on my granddaughters CX-5 would make a statement on the TLX body shell.

The red NSXs at my dealership was in fact that very red, or a close reasonable fact simile. It looks fabulous, as did the grey -white colour of the other one. As for the TLX, i think it looks great in several colours, particularly the white. The Honda Accord, a similarly handsome auto also looks good in white, and it's no coincidence that most of the ones I see on the road are indeed white.
Old 11-21-2016, 11:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by drewba
At least in the US, an A4 Ultra Premium with the Season of Audi package that includes the virtual cockpit starts just under $40k list. The A4 is still more than the 2.4L TLX, but more like $4-5k than $15k. Each has a few features that the other is missing, but seems like a decent comparison and Audi's virtual cockpit is available now.
Interesting difference. I built both Cars on US sites and found about 6k difference ($42K vs $36K in terms of how you could package to get the virtual dash in the Audi. However, in Canada, as I mentioned before, you have to start with the highest trim level (Teknik), and without adding any other options, the price was 52,000 to 40K (Freight included) - 12K difference. This difference increases with Acura incentives, not to mention loyalty interest rate reductions. Seems those wacky Germans are reluctant to give us Canucks high end technology? Don't they know we have Acuras with heated steering wheels and rear seats, and keyless access for rear doors, to name a few. I dream of one day streaming Maple Leafs games on my dash.......is that wrong?
Old 11-22-2016, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 319 Likes on 228 Posts
Very good review and I agree with alot of your points.Though I'm personally on the other side of the fence.

Infotainment: Pathetic really. Can find a far better experience in cars that cost far less (Take a look in the mirror Honda!)
Navi: I have used it maybe 3 times and two times was basically a test. The only time I tend to use it is if I'm going home from new areas, but at that point I barely need it, otherwise I've since stuck to Google Maps (Oh how I wish we had Android Auto)
HVAC: Awesome, and remote start ftw :bowdown:
Materials: Coming from a 3G TL, I feel the TLX isn't as luxurious as the TL. Acura definitely cut corners here.
Seats: Again, coming from a 3G TL, these seats are just as comfortable. I feel that the 2008 TL I had was just a tad bit comfier and that may be due to seat design. These are pretty comfy seats, but since it's only two sections instead of the 3g I had, I think the seat gets a bit softer much faster and sinks in more.
Transmission: To me I have no problems with this transmission, but I have felt the rough shift before, very rare though. I never had a "heavy foot" and learned to drive to how the transmission shifted, especially the first 3 gears. It took a bit of getting used to, but feels fine to me. My gripe is that if I'm trying to pass on the freeway sometimes it takes a bit to find gears, I have noticed this when I want to get into the lane pretty quick, but I rarely do. Plus the way the engine responds between Normal (90% of the time I drive in this mode) and Sport is actually pretty fun to feel how different the car is.

Overall I am still really happy with my TLX. Minus the archaic infotainment/navigation, I can really say I enjoy this car every day.

To the spirited drivers or those who feel the need to drive like that every now and then, this car definitely wouldn't fill that desire. But for a DD, this car basically fits all the needs; it's comfortable, very quiet, great technology (not including infotainment), and pretty damn impressive economy numbers for a v6.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:10 AM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
Seems like a common thread. The 4 cylinder guys are happy & the 6 cylinder not so much. Maybe its a combination of demographics, experiences & expectation. The 4 is a less expensive car that gets the job done as transportation & has not had major issues since introduced. The 6 cylinder costs more, may be aimed toward the more adventurous driver who is looking for more than basic transport, but has had repeated & continuing issues with the trans that can make spirited driving dangerous instead of fun.

One group tends to be satisfied with the current level of the technology in the car, the other expects a higher level than is offered & the perceived short comings are wearing thin after a period of ownership.

Guys with a longer history with the product say over 3/4 generations perceive a degrading of the overall quality of what the increasing prices are buying. At the same time the tide is rising with what similar priced cars are bring to the market, When you are showing a future concept in mockup which is something peer level competitors are all ready delivering you have as a company the problem you are seeing here. Long time fans pulling the eject handle.

I though the TLX was the car that would bring them back but maybe they just set the bar to low with what they delivered compared to the famous or maybe now infamous "Red Prototype"

Bear, I think you catch well the split between 2 groups of TLX customers. I may add one important factor that sets the expectations : from what car you're coming to TLX.
For some coming from mass mid side sedan or lower classes, yes the TLX is a very good car but for some that had 3/4 generations TL (always the higher trim like me ) I feel that TLX didn't deliver the expectations set by previous generations, especially by 4G. Adding the issues with ZF, for me TLX is a let down by Acura.

Last edited by Momyc; 11-22-2016 at 06:12 AM.
quantum7 (11-26-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 06:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Great write up Keith. I'm one of the folks who has followed you on a few forums for quite a few years and I truly value your opinion. I keep wanting to like the TLX because like you I'm at an age (about three years from retirement) where I'd like to buy something more economically feasible to help transition into retirement. But so far no luck.

I'm seriously wanting to see and drive the new Genesis Sport. It may be the car that pushes me over the edge to buy one. But even it will be $10,000 more than a loaded TLX.
The following 2 users liked this post by jjsC5:
justnspace (11-22-2016), TacoBello (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 07:33 AM

Ones degree of happiness in life is always tied directly to ones expectations.

I think many of the people who post here have the first year 6 cylinder model which was the most problematic. Plus some of them bought the car (without lengthy test drives) the day it came out based upon experiences with older TL's. Those seem to be the ones who are less happy with the car.

One thing to consider is the type of person who seeks out and posts in an internet car forum. It's probably not the average daily-driver bloke but rather a "car person" who enjoys more spirited driving - the exposed tailpipes crowd. Clearly, despite Acura's marketing efforts, the car doesn't resonate very well with them. That's all on Acura.

Frankly I think they missed the boat by not targeting current Accord drivers more - "Hey Mr. middle aged sedan driving family of four person - if you think your Accord is a good car just wait until you plop your ass behind the wheel of this TLX!" 'type message. Instead they chose to go head to head with BMW "How do you say your lease is up in German" etc. Sure it's just marketing and marketing is generally not based on reality (coming from someone who works in-directly in the field) but it does set expectations higher for the internet car crowd.
justnspace (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 09:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CheeseyPoofs McNut
Frankly I think they missed the boat by not targeting current Accord drivers more - "Hey Mr. middle aged sedan driving family of four person - if you think your Accord is a good car just wait until you plop your ass behind the wheel of this TLX!" 'type message. Instead they chose to go head to head with BMW "How do you say your lease is up in German" etc. Sure it's just marketing and marketing is generally not based on reality (coming from someone who works in-directly in the field) but it does set expectations higher for the internet car crowd.
Maybe but. I hate to ignore one of my old rules from when I had a day job, "don't bit*h about problems if you can't offer a solution" but here is my take on your statement.

I agree 100% the race car adds & marketing plan were a very bad idea. They should have marketed it as a solid entry level premium car to the people who want to move upscale ithout spending an inordinate amount of money for a German or first line Japanese car. Comfortable, quiet, good fuel economy etc, but without the high price tag.

Would not have stressed its as step up from the Accord. Think the higher trim levels in the TLX are a step up from the lower trim levels in the Accord, but don't honestly see the lower TLX trim levels as being a step up ffrom the higher Accord trims. Think the would have been better served skipping that line altogether. Same with trying to sell it as an am alternative to the BMW 3'ers. BMW's are firmly entrenched in the publics perception as something special. Might not be fair or based in reality but its still a fact or a "what is" not what you want it to be.

I would have ripped of a page from the German marketing strategy & not run the car against any other car, just sold that car on its own merits. To me when Acura & Infiniti did all the "as compared to the BMW" commercials they jut put the 3 series up on a pedestal as the standard bearer. Not a very good plan to sell your car IMHO.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Deep down inside, I'm secretly hoping Acura is doing everything possible, and working long over time days, every day, to get any and all known TLX problems sorted out for the MMC.

I WANT to like this car. I WANT a Type S revival. I WANT to be excited about seeing these on the road.

It really sucks to see that many unhappy people with their TLX. I know there are people that love their car through and through, but it's those who initially loved it and are now left scratching their heads with what to do next that I'm concerned about. Many people have stated they would not buy an Acura again... that never bodes well for a small car company.
The following 6 users liked this post by TacoBello:
a35tl (11-22-2016), cu2wagon (11-28-2016), quantum7 (11-22-2016), Rocket_man (11-22-2016), weather (11-22-2016), WheelMcCoy (11-26-2016) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-22-2016, 12:17 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Seems like a common thread. The 4 cylinder guys are happy & the 6 cylinder not so much. Maybe its a combination of demographics, experiences & expectation. The 4 is a less expensive car that gets the job done as transportation & has not had major issues since introduced. The 6 cylinder costs more, may be aimed toward the more adventurous driver who is looking for more than basic transport........
You may have something there, Bear. Let’s use my wife and me as examples; we’re both in our 70’s but still active. I’ve always loved cars and still do. However, my needs for a sport sedan and sport car are satisfied with our Cadillac ATS (primarily hers) and my Mazda Miata MX-5. Regarding other attributes for our other car:

Power and Handling: Must be adequate and for us the 2.4 TLX fits the bill.
Comfort: Paramount - must be comfortable and quiet.
Appearance: Must be attractive but things like exposed exhausts and fancy lighting mean nothing.
Driving Aids: We appreciate Blind Spot Monitoring, LKAS, and rear camera with Cross Traffic Alert. Other aids not important.
Other Tech: Not important. Haven’t even synched up our smart phones (and won’t).
Navigation: Only use it about 8 times a year and the TLX version is fine – gets us to where we’re going.
Sound System: ELS sounds fine to these old ears.
Maintenance: I hate getting a car serviced and at about 6500 mi/year the TLX only requires it about once a year. And the first one was free and only took about an hour. Costs are quite reasonable in general.
Gas Mileage: Not too important – not enough miles/year.
Reliability: Important and I think Honda products meet our needs.
Initial Cost: Not really that important; however, many older folks who are financially secure didn’t get that way by spending excessively. We were brought up to appreciate value and it’s difficult for us to splurge.
Depreciation: Not that important since we keep our cars quite a while and Honda products are pretty good in this area.

So there are some examples of how some generational factors may influence the cars we own and why the 2.4 Tech TLX is fine for us. I’m sure many would view us as old fuddy-duddies, but demographics do influence the decision on selecting a car. Also, every individual’s situation is of course different and that will have an impact also.

Sorry this is so long, but my golf course is closed today and I had some extra time.
The following 3 users liked this post by wlkeel:
a35tl (11-22-2016), mapleloaf (11-23-2016), Quandry (11-23-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 12:33 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
I think the TLX V6 is getting more stick because it's more expensive without being that much better than an Accord V6, other than SH-AWD. I'd imagine people would want the 6AT in the Accord over the 9AT. The J35 in the Accord is weaker, but doesn't require premium gas. It also has less weight to haul around, so real world performance difference is negligible. A loaded to fully loaded TLX V6 is around $40-$45k, people simply expect more.

The TLX 2.4 OTOH is a $31-$35k car. It 8-DCT, while not perfect, seems to be much more trouble-free than the 9AT. The 2.4L engine is also comfortably more powerful than the 2.4L in the Accord. Being a K series, it's also not as old as the J series V6. When it comes to performance, the TLX 2.4 also has a significant advantage over the Accord 2.4 CVT. And obviously, at low to mid $30k, expectations are lower.

In terms of Acura future, I think Honda now has a direction. They are actually showing us what they want to do via the Precision Concept and Precision Cockpit Concept this year. For the past few years, the biggest complaints of Acura models would be exterior design (either too ugly or too bland), out-of-date infotainment system, and the lack of high performance engines. The two concepts shown IMO addressed the former two issues. They tell me that Acura now has a design direction, and is a heading the right way with interior technologies. By showing these concepts publicly, Honda can get some real world feedback and further improve on things, like what they did to the NSX before launch. I'd imagine we will see and hear more about the next generation powertrains next year. My understanding is that they are working on a 3.0T engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by iforyou:
a35tl (11-22-2016), justnspace (11-22-2016)
Old 11-22-2016, 12:56 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by randomRon82
Keith, great post... I was one of the TLX early adopters and recently got rid of mine.. I've been wanting to make a similar post comparing some of the things that I didn't like about my TLX... with those same items in my current vehicle. This will be a long post too... lol

Background: I previously traded my 2012 Acura TL Tech/SH-AWD for a 2015 Acura TLX Advance/paws. I was not initially in love with the TLX as I had seen it in person several times before it was released... however I started to "like" the TLX... and for some reason I thought the car would grow on me if I got it. lol... It didn't grow on me. I did not HATE the TLX... it was a very decent car but Acura had an opportunity to make this a great car (which it was not). I started to dislike the car about 3 weeks after having it because of all the issues I had... however I tried to convince myself that this is what happens when you are an early adopter.

I now have a 2017 Infiniti Q60 coupe, 3.0t (twin turbo) AWD with Premium Plus Package and some other goodies... I am an early adopter of this vehicle. I've had it now for exactly 2 months. I am still in love with this car and very happy now. I am also having a very good experience overall with the Infiniti brand in general and its dealerships... very surprising how special they've made me feel versus my experience overall with Acura... the brand seems very very promising in terms of its future.

Now onto my comparison of things that I was sad about with my TLX:
Sound system:
TLX: ELS: A downgrade from my 4G TL... barely any bass was my main issue. I loved the ELS in my 4G TL... hated it in the TLX
Q60: Bose Performance Series: I absolutely love it... sounds amazing. An upgrade from the 4G TL ELS... no comparison to TLX ELS

Lighting:
TLX: No LED turn signals in front, no LED turn signals in the rear, no LED reverse lights
Q60: Everthing is LED including the turn signals. The front turn signals are LED switchbacks... the LED DRL's switch to turn signals.. it looks badass.The one thing I will say for the LED headlights is that the TLX headlights were slightly brighter than the ones on my Q60.. but not significantly. The reverse lights are also LED which makes the backup camera super clear at night! The puddle lights are bright white LEDs and in the door handle. The TLX puddle lights were dim (not to mention I had issues with them going out on a regular basis). I also have the door sill LED lights and I'm getting the available interior ambient lighting installed which Acura did not offer. If you're into it... you can also get some other cool lighting bits.. like an illuminated logo in the grille, ground lighting and etc. I go nuts about lights. lol

Interior:
TLX: The interior materials felt like a downgrade from my previous 4G TL... the leather on the TL was softer and more premium looking/feeling... there was available color contrast stitching on the seats, steering wheel and door panels that was no longer available with the TLX. The TLX door panel was covered in plastic... and did not look premium at all. The dashboard was covered in plastic.
Q60: Pretty much everything is color contrast stitched and looks very premium. The seats, steering wheel... lower dashboard, upper dashboard, door panels (even the very top of the door panels) are color contrast stitched and covered in soft material. The door panels look amazing... Even the very top of the door panels right below the windows are covered in a very soft faux leather material.

Infotainment/Navi etc:
TLX: The touchscreen was very dated looking and very slow to respond. I could not use a USB stick because it was impossible to scroll through albums/songs... tremendous lag. The backup camera was grainy... and took forever to load, particularly after first system boot up. I hated having to type in addresses... it was basically like using a T9 flip phone where you had to press a button... wait for a little bit.. press the next button... wait for a bit. UGH!!! I also had to get my entire system replaced only after a few weeks... it stopped working.
Q60: The infotainment system is a little dated... however it's significantly better than the TLX. It's much much faster... quick to load. Infiniti executed the dual screens much better than Acura... they make more sense. There's viritually no lag when scrolling through menus, typing things on the lower screen (addresses etc.)... significantly faster, no lag. The navigation is better. The backup camera is faster and clearer... especially at night with the LED reverse lights. I can use my USB again and it works perfectly... love the ease of finding particular albums, songs or artists in an instant.

AcuraLink versus Infiniti InTouch:
I could NEVER send maps to my TLX via AcuraLink... it never worked for me. It always works in my Infiniti. Acura did not have the option to remote start your car via AcuraLink... not sure if they made this feature available for 2017 however I can start and stop my Q60's engine via the smartphone app. It's amazing to be able to start my car while I'm in the office and it's in the detached garage on the 5th floor.... lol

Coupe body style:
I had been wanting to go back to a coupe for quite some time... and held out on Acura because I thought with all of the rumors that one would be out soon.... still haven't heard anything definitive and I was pretty unhappy with the TLX so when I found out about the Q60's availability I was elated.

Looks:
Looks are subjective of course and I know we're talking about a Coupe versus a Sedan, however I was not happy with the looks of the TLX. It did not feel special and blended in with everything else on the road. Now I am thrilled every time I get to see my car... lol. And for that matter, so is everyone else apparently... Random people are always telling me how awesome the car looks.. and asking me questions about it. I get stopped at gas stations, parking lots etc. I'm always catching long stares when stopped at a red light, lol. I definitely did not get any of this attention with the TLX.

Engine/Transmission/Driving:
I will not go into the issues that I had with the TLX transmission... but I will say that I had one of the early release 2015 models. It was a nightmare... software update after software update, it was still a nightmare... and Acura basically said there was nothing they could do. I was one of the folks that had a TLX that started to accelerate by itself. :-\
Q60: I have a 3 liter Twin-Turbo engine with AWD (rear-wheel drive biased)... as the Q50 and Q60 are rear-wheel drive based. It's very responsive and smooth. I am still not used to the smoothness and I always think that it's going to jerk when I accelerate or come to a stop or rock back and forth like crazy when I put it in park... and I'm just not used to that not happening. The ride for me is a bit bumpy versus the TLX on certain roads.... but I believe it's because I'm not used to 19" wheels on thin run-flat tires...

So in summary, I was unhappy for the 2 years that I had my TLX (I could go on and on even more)... I did take a hit financially as I had a year left on the lease (and the way that I've optioned my Q60 it was 10k more than the TLX Advance when I first got it)... but it was worth it. I was a bit angry at Acura for awhile, only because I know that they have so much potential... I'm still wishing them the best of luck and hoping they can get it together but I just don't see it happening any time soon... they have a long way to go. I am always routing for the underdogs.

Infiniti on the other hand, I strongly believe is on the right path and they will be the next to join the tier 1 league. They are an example of a brand that keeps trying... I think if you keep trying... and with great effort, you will eventually win. They are pumping out new products left and right, revamping dealerships, continuing to expand into new markets so on and so forth... They may have less US sales than Acura... however since they are in significantly more markets they have the ability to have a broader product portfolio and more to offer and they will be able to grow and become more successful... they seem to have a similar approach to Audi... which at times also had less sales in the US than Acura but were more successful overall. Acura apparently does not want to expand and grow so this will hurt them.
I like your detailed comparison, but I don't think it's an apples-to-apples comparison if there is a ~10k difference. Also, for those that choose to hold on to their purchased vehicles, Hondas/Acuras hold on to their value much better over time. They also hold up better also. I see many 2G and 3G TLs and other older Acuras (Integra, RSX, etc) on the road still. I see very few G35's, and even less J30's, I30's or G20's. (No Q45's for sure.)

The TLX was supposed to be a revitalization for the Acura brand, and it feel short. It brought a new corporate facia and signature "Jewel Eye" LED headlights, but did not significantly upgrade it's technology packages or performance. However, they still maintain a reasonable value as far as feature set and resale.

Would I buy another TLX, definitely not. But, since mine is almost paid off and I have an extended warranty I see value in keeping this car for its reasonable maintenance costs and fuel efficiency as it is my everyday driver.
Old 11-22-2016, 03:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by iforyou
I think the TLX V6 is getting more stick because it's more expensive without being that much better than an Accord V6, other than SH-AWD. I'd imagine people would want the 6AT in the Accord over the 9AT. The J35 in the Accord is weaker, but doesn't require premium gas. It also has less weight to haul around, so real world performance difference is negligible. A loaded to fully loaded TLX V6 is around $40-$45k, people simply expect more.
EXACTLY. I would love to purchase a TLX....just loose the 9AT. Accord Touring for 32k is very appealing.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by wlkeel
You may have something there, Bear. Let’s use my wife and me as examples; we’re both in our 70’s but still active. I’ve always loved cars and still do. However, my needs for a sport sedan and sport car are satisfied with our Cadillac ATS (primarily hers) and my Mazda Miata MX-5. Regarding other attributes for our other car:

Power and Handling: Must be adequate and for us the 2.4 TLX fits the bill.
Comfort: Paramount - must be comfortable and quiet.
Appearance: Must be attractive but things like exposed exhausts and fancy lighting mean nothing.
Driving Aids: We appreciate Blind Spot Monitoring, LKAS, and rear camera with Cross Traffic Alert. Other aids not important.
Other Tech: Not important. Haven’t even synched up our smart phones (and won’t).
Navigation: Only use it about 8 times a year and the TLX version is fine – gets us to where we’re going.
Sound System: ELS sounds fine to these old ears.
Maintenance: I hate getting a car serviced and at about 6500 mi/year the TLX only requires it about once a year. And the first one was free and only took about an hour. Costs are quite reasonable in general.
Gas Mileage: Not too important – not enough miles/year.
Reliability: Important and I think Honda products meet our needs.
Initial Cost: Not really that important; however, many older folks who are financially secure didn’t get that way by spending excessively. We were brought up to appreciate value and it’s difficult for us to splurge.
Depreciation: Not that important since we keep our cars quite a while and Honda products are pretty good in this area.

So there are some examples of how some generational factors may influence the cars we own and why the 2.4 Tech TLX is fine for us. I’m sure many would view us as old fuddy-duddies, but demographics do influence the decision on selecting a car. Also, every individual’s situation is of course different and that will have an impact also.

Sorry this is so long, but my golf course is closed today and I had some extra time.
Some good words on how the car fits your needs. Only thing I would bring out is I deliberately left off generational as an attribute. I will be 75 is a few weeks & my wife of 51 years was 73 in August. I still compete with my cars & in the Triangle COBRA club I am not the oldest member. The group runs a good spread from 31 to late 70's. Retirement is a good time to reopen the things you needed to give up as family obligations moved into the forefront. Or in the case of some who wanted to do these things when younger but could not manage due to whatever reason its a great time to start.

I am sure that some here will be shocked, absolutely shocked, that at one point & owned a 145 Volvo station wagon, followed by back to back Ford country squire wagons. Three kids over a six year span & a new house, from a life long apartment dweller had me hang up my helmet for a number of years.

Age as long as you stay healthy is just a state of mind & I try to keep mine according to some in the teen years. If I can compete competitively I will compete. Earned my 3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do & 1st degree in Hap Ki Do at 70. Participated in tournaments till I retired when my knees started to get crappy.

You are a golfer, something I never got into, but my father was still playing at 85.

If you can do it go for it.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-22-2016 at 05:33 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
F23A4 (11-23-2016), Mark Pettygrove (11-23-2016), wlkeel (11-22-2016)

Quick Reply: 2015 TLX 1 year update (warning long post)