2.4 Base OR Tech

Old 12-19-2014, 01:33 PM
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
2.4 Base OR Tech

I am trying to make a decision on which one to buy a Base 2.4 or the 2.4 Tech.
Here’s a link, which lists out the base 2.4 vs. Tech interior features -> 2015 Acura TLX: Interior - Honda.com

Following are the additional features of the Technology package
I have added my notes/thoughts in BLUE against each feature rating each among [NOT NEEDED, NICE TO HAVE, MUST HAVE]

Additonal interior features for TLX with Technology Package Include:
1. Acura Navigation System with 3D view [NOT NEEDED, smart phone/standalone GPS is better & cheaper, Negative – smaller phone screen]
2. AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic™ with exclusive street and freeway conditions [NOT NEEDED, smart phone GPS + street conditions is better & cheaper, Negative – smaller phone screen]
3. Traffic Rerouting™ [NOT NEEDED, traffic rerouting does not work well on standalone GPS’s in my view, Google works better, Negative – smaller phone screen]
4. Color Multi-Information Display (MID) with turn-by-turn guidance [NOT NEEDED, smart phone/standalone GPS is better & cheaper, Negative – smaller phone screen]
5. Next-generation AcuraLink™ with Standard, Connect or Premium Package [NOT NEEDED - The Standard (FREE]) tier does not come with much]
6. 490-watt, 10-speaker Acura/ELS StudioŽ Premium Audio System with hard disk drive (HDD) media storage [NICE TO HAVE]
7. HD RadioŽ [NICE TO HAVE]
8. Song By VoiceŽ [NICE TO HAVE]
9. Forward Collision Warning (FCW) system [MUST HAVE - Does it work well and helpful?]
10. Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS) [MUST HAVE- Does it work well and helpful?]
11. Lane Departure Warning (LDW) system (audible warning) [MUST HAVE- Does it work well and helpful?]
12. Blind spot information (BSI) system [MUST HAVE- Does it work well and helpful?]
13. Multi-view rear camera with Cross Traffic Monitor [MUST HAVE- Does it work well and helpful?]
14. Leather-trimmed interior (perforated center sections) with Milano leather on seat bolsters [NICE TO HAVE – Which is better Milano or Leatherette over the long term(8 years)?]
15. GPS-linked, dual-zone automatic climate control [NICE TO HAVE – not sure]
16. Rain-sensing windshield wipers [NOT NEEDED – have read reviews that it does not work well and gets confused + do not get too much rain in my neck of the wood]
17. Frameless rearview mirror [NOT NEEDED - not sure]
18. Premium floor mats (multi-loop) [NOT NEEDED – cheaper + better aftermarkets???]

Questions
• Which among them do you think are must haves and why according to you?
• Current Owners - Do the crash prevention features actually work as they were advertised & are you satisfied with them?
• Is it worth paying $5K additional for those features?

People can add their comments against each of the 18 features above if they wish so.

All comments welcome!! Thank you!
Old 12-19-2014, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I made my decision between these two packages, and went with the base model. I would have liked some of the safety features, but didn't want to spend $5k more them. If I could have gotten the safety features for $1000-$1500, I probably would have done it. I didn't want navigation.

The leatherette is the base model is fine. Everyone that has seen my car says "I love this leather". They are shocked when I tell them it's not leather. I have also heard the leatherette tends to wear better(unverified).

If you have a wife or kid that will be driving the car, and isn't the best driver, the safety features may be worth the $5k+tax. For me personally, it just wasn't.

BTW: One thing I do not like about Hondas/Acuras forward collision system is it just warns you with sounds & lights, but does not apply the brakes like in some other cars. If I am wrong, please let me know. I would find the system much more useful/desirable if it automatically applied the breaks in an emergency situation.

Last edited by clocks; 12-19-2014 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
niray9 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by clocks

BTW: One thing I do not like about Hondas/Acuras forward collision system is it just warns you with sounds & lights, but does not apply the brakes like in some other cars. If I am wrong, please let me know. I would find the system much more useful/desirable if it automatically applied the breaks in an emergency situation.
I think the advanced package applies brakes automatically. that's @$10K above the base + V6 and other features.

iihs.org makes the following distinction between front crash mitigation braking and front crash warning.

Optional front crash mitigation braking - SUPERIOR with optional equipment 6 points total
Optional Forward Collision Warning - BASIC with optional equipment 1 point total

Link to iihs.org TLX page-> 2015 TLX safety rating details iihs.org
Look at the bottom of the sidebar

Last edited by niray9; 12-19-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 03:42 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
If you have time to wait, the price of a used 2.4L tech might be the same as a new 2.4L base next year. There is better tech on smart phones compared to Acura vehicles; but, it is easier to use and less distracting with OEM tech (and you still have the smartphone as a back-up).

I would go for the base if it is just going to be an in town commuter/errand car only. The extra tech comes in handy if you travel a lot.
niray9 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by niray9

Questions
• Which among them do you think are must haves and why according to you?
• Current Owners - Do the crash prevention features actually work as they were advertised & are you satisfied with them?
• Is it worth paying $5K additional for those features?

People can add their comments against each of the 18 features above if they wish so.

All comments welcome!! Thank you!
4-7 and 9-14 were what really sold me on the Tech package. I did not want Leatherette, since I was already paying for a "premium" car. Also, the upgraded audio and safety tech really work well and, IMHO, are well integrated.

I must admit, having the NAV in my TSX actually saved me in a couple of instances where I did not have cell service and Google Maps was not able to reroute me, so it was a no-brainer for me. I think it's worth the 5k, but who is paying MSRP these days anyway?

TBH, I loves me some bells and whistles!
niray9 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 03:56 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by clocks
The Advance package's CMBS (collision mitigation braking system) does this.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:05 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
For me, leatherette would be fine (assuming it seemed of high quality). If it was fabric, then I'd opt for leather. I think the base package would check all of the boxes for me. Having the lane departure warning, lane keeping, and the forward collision warning are things I've done without since I started driving 33 years ago, and I've done fine without them. The only thing you may want to consider for the tech package is the audio quality vs. the ELS system. If you think the base system is decent (you should see if you can try a base system vs. ELS) and don't want to add $5K to the bill for the tech, get the base. Also, the 'song by voice' and HD radio don't matter to me as I primarily use Pandora.

As for Nav, I have it in my 06 TL and rarely use it. If I got a base, I'd keep a cheap GPS in the car for those very few times I would need one, and otherwise would use the cellphone with directions given over the air (either plugged in or via BT). I have 2 cars with no built in GPS, but use Google Maps via BT for those (they both have Pioneer head units with BT), and having instructions given via the audio system is great!

I agree, if all the tech was $1K, I'd say get it...for $5K, you can likely pass (unless the $5K isn't a big deal to you). Another option is to wait a year or 2, drive what you have and pick up a 2.4 Tech in 2 years after someone else takes the hit on depreciation, because at that point, the 2.4 Tech will likely be under $30K.

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong? I'm under the impression that the base has a driver's side wide view mirror instead of the blind spot monitoring (basically, the equivalent of a Multivex mirror). If this is the case, I love that setup vs. a light indicating someone in the blind spot.

Last edited by erdoc48; 12-19-2014 at 04:11 PM.
niray9 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 04:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 400 Likes on 282 Posts
#1 to #4 are Not Needed if you are fine with a stuck on device and a trailing wire to a plug in. OTO standalone is cheaper, may have more features (speed limit and traffic camera warnings), map upgrades may be free, and you can get any technology upgrades in years 2-8.

If you are an excellent driver then #9 to #12 should only be Nice to Have.
9. FCW will be helpful if you are distracted or drowsy
10. LKAS helpful if you are distracted and also trains you to keep to the center of the lane (but needs reasonable lane markings)
11. LDW if you are drowsy
12. BSI only useful if your mirrors are not properly adjusted and you never have to look over your shoulder before changing lanes. It only works when there is a speed difference of 6 mph, unlike MB which has a yellow triange if there is a car in the danger zone and a red triangle when there is a car beside you no matter what speed.
15. GPS-linked for climate - not needed

All other assessments are reasonable.
niray9 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quandry
#1 to #4 are Not Needed if you are fine with a stuck on device and a trailing wire to a plug in. OTO standalone is cheaper, may have more features (speed limit and traffic camera warnings), map upgrades may be free, and you can get any technology upgrades in years 2-8.

If you are an excellent driver then #9 to #12 should only be Nice to Have.
9. FCW will be helpful if you are distracted or drowsy
10. LKAS helpful if you are distracted and also trains you to keep to the center of the lane (but needs reasonable lane markings)
11. LDW if you are drowsy
12. BSI only useful if your mirrors are not properly adjusted and you never have to look over your shoulder before changing lanes. It only works when there is a speed difference of 6 mph, unlike MB which has a yellow triange if there is a car in the danger zone and a red triangle when there is a car beside you no matter what speed.
15. GPS-linked for climate - not needed

All other assessments are reasonable.
Agree - 1-4 & 9-12 can be labelled as NICE TO HAVE.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
I think the advanced package applies brakes automatically. that's @$10K above the base + V6 and other features.

iihs.org makes the following distinction between front crash mitigation braking and front crash warning.

Optional front crash mitigation braking - SUPERIOR with optional equipment 6 points total
Optional Forward Collision Warning - BASIC with optional equipment 1 point total

Link to iihs.org TLX page-> 2015 TLX safety rating details iihs.org
Look at the bottom of the sidebar
If the collision warning thing had actually applied the brakes, there are numerous times we would have come to a smoking halt inches from the shadow of a bridge. Oh, and then been rear-ended big-time. Too many false readings.

Blind Spot Indicator is a big plus for us and the nav system is definitely a help on long runs. Forget the traffic thing - the colored lines are pretty tiny and last I checked, there is no traffic indication beginning at the city limits of any city we have traveled through/by since we got the car. Score 1 for cell phones there. Plus you have to pay extra for traffic monitoring. We also needed the power liftgate.
niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Higher trim levels tend to maintain a better resale value than base.
niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I opted for the base. The only item I thought I might regret not getting was the updated sound system, but the standard audio sounds pretty decent. Although I was concerned about vinyl in the Florida sunshine, my butt checks can feel no difference between cow hide and naugahyde. And my butt cheeks are exceptionally sensitive to those things.
niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 04:59 PM
Instructor

<OFFTOPIC>
Since a few people have mentioned if I can wait an year or two to get a used car, I'm trying to replace a 2002 first new car that I got after school(Keep my car for a long time! ). I've been spending some money on it lately, and now I want someone else to do so as a second owner going forward. While I can wait maybe 3-6 months, I don't know if I can wait beyond that.
</OFFTOPIC>
Old 12-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Here are some of my thoughts on Tech vs Base:

Features I wouldn't miss at all:
GPS linked climate control
Rain sensing wipers
HD radio

Features I might miss:
NAV & Traffic stuff
Driver assistance technology
Color MID

Features I probably would miss:
Leather seats
ELS sound system
Rear cross traffic monitor
Song by Voice

Our decision is to go with the Tech - we can easily afford the $4K (I think it's more like $4k than $5K), there are several features we would really like, and I'm afraid of having regrets if we didn't. And I don't need any more regrets at my age.

There are some other discussions in the thread "Got The TLX 2.4 Base" (I don't know how to attach threads and stuff like that).
niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
niray9...Life is too short to not get the things you need/want.

The fact you have at least a "MUST HAVE"....there is your answer!
niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 06:14 PM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
A 2.4 TLX base seems like such a waste.

Based on everything that you said you do not need, would be nice to have, and must have,.... I'd get a 2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6 w/navi for about the same price as a 2.4 TLX base.
The following 3 users liked this post by AZuser:
a35tl (12-20-2014), csmeance (12-21-2014), niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 06:49 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
If you keep your cars for a long time, I would hold out for the MMC for any Acura vehicle. This could be any current or used models. I'm glad I waited until the MMC for my 06 TSX and 11 MDX Adv (I'm a tech head). The only reason I didn't go for the 10-12 MMC model for my RDX was Hondata wasn't available at my time of purchase, I like the styling of the 07-09 models, and the color combo was only available 07-08 models only. The good thing about when I purchased my RDX was I was able to make a choice that works best for me long-term.

Last edited by mrgold35; 12-19-2014 at 06:51 PM.
niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
Higher trim levels tend to maintain a better resale value than base.
I tend to disagree. Resale value of recent cars hit bottom mainly due to the outdated tech.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:58 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I went with the base. Rarely use NAV, leatherette is fine. ELS is the only thing in the tech package I would want, but the audio is decent in the base. CD, ipod, and XM sound pretty good with the base audio. FM is not as good because there is no HD radio in the base audio. As far as safety features, I found them to be overly sensitive and almost annoying on my test drives. Considered an Accord EX-L as well for about $5000 less at the time (2014 model). The TLX was quieter and more refined. Best value out there for the price.
niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 07:58 AM
Racer

Hey niray9, if you're concerned about cost I would stick with the Accord for it costs less to maintain. I bought the base too but only after considering my needs carefully. Are your must haves really must haves? If they are you have your answer.
niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 09:07 AM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have my first baby on the way in Feb and can't find my way out of a box, so I got the tech for the safety features and nav. I'm happy with the decision! Good luck.
niray9 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
How long to you intend to keep the car?

If you're going to keep it for a while get the tech and enjoy!
The following 2 users liked this post by CheeseyPoofs McNut:
niray9 (12-20-2014), Warrior 6 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Thanks everyone for the comments, appreciate them all!

The reasons I am considering the Acura TLX over the Accord EX-L are the following
  1. Much quieter
  2. Ride much better i.e. soaks up bumps much better

I plan to keep the car for a long time.

Last edited by niray9; 12-20-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by baelim
Hey niray9, if you're concerned about cost I would stick with the Accord for it costs less to maintain.
Are there a big differences in scheduled maintenance costs?

Last edited by niray9; 12-20-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:41 PM
Instructor

I bought the base too but only after considering my needs carefully. Are your must haves really must haves? If they are you have your answer.
As far as my MUST HAVES(safety warning systems mainly) are concerned, it's possible that these might become standard in 1-2 car generations(1 car generation=5/6 years). So, I was trying to understand if these safety features are really helpful & effective and hence trying to decide if I should to get them.

Unlike a GPS or a better Audio system, I can't add the safety features to a car later as add ons, and this becomes important as I plan to keep the car for a long time.

Last edited by niray9; 12-20-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't get a base model of any luxury/entry-level luxury car, but again, that's just me. If you later decide you want something, chances are you won't be able to retro-fit it without major expense, or even worse, retro-fit it at all. I've seen posts of regret and remorse in the 3G forum as well as other forums when people didn't upgrade to a Tech. I normally would've gotten a Tech instead of the Advance, but went with the Advance this time simply for a couple of features I thought would be worth it. Whether they were is debatable, but if given a choice between a Base and Tech V6, I would've chosen the Tech. I never drove the 2.4 TLX, so I can't speak for that model, but to me, yes, there's a ride difference between the V6 TLX and a V6 Accord, but I wouldn't choose a Base V6 TLX over a loaded V6 Accord... the ride difference wouldn't be enough for me.

Good luck with your purchase!
niray9 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

niray9....If you are going to keep the car for a long time, a greater reason to indulge and enjoy every features the Tech Pack offers. If you spread 5k over 7 years (for example), it's on average $700/year or $58/month or $14/week or $2/day. Need anymore convincing?

If you keep the car for even longer than 7 years, the difference is even more noticeable...
niray9 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 03:46 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
^^ I can't argue the point that if you're going to keep it for a long time, it might be worth getting all the bells and whistles (cost wise, spread over say, 10 years of ownership, the cost of the Tech package becomes minor). For me however, I think the base 2.4 makes a compelling case and I think in many cases, I'd probably not even use the electronic 'nannies'.

What can I say? I'm old and like nice reliable stuff that works well. Sometimes, the electronic upgrades may be buggy and worse, expensive to repair if they fail.

As for maintenance costs, I can't imagine the TLX being substantially more expensive than an Accord to maintain (since it will likely require oil changes only for a long time). If the maintenance schedule is no real work to the car other than > 100K spark plug change (and no TB since it has a chain), oil changes are all that's needed.

My 3G has been maintained at a Goodyear garage and a Honda dealership for my TB change, all at moderately low cost over the past 8+ years of ownership.
niray9 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Maybe a small point, but the Tech is $4030 more, not $5000.

And I agree with Rocketsfan regarding potential regrets.Unless there's a strong monetary reason, the Tech looks good.
niray9 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 05:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
I tend to disagree. Resale value of recent cars hit bottom mainly due to the outdated tech.
Outdated or not it will be more relevant than the base mode since the base is the same with less quality/tech.

I am speaking in general.
Some cars will have cloth interior base and leather on higher trims. This will translate in the resale value.
Older cars like the Integra, CD players sell better than radio units. Trim level matters with resale there.

For my ILX. The base has 16in wheels, halogen bulbs, and a weaker stero. A premium with 17in wheels HIDs and a nicer system will easily maintain a better resale than the already outdated halogens and already tiny 16in wheels.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
After much thought and research, I decided to go with the tech package and the I4. I thought by having a Garmin I didn't need the tech package, but the tech package offers so much more. I figure I would get the tech package and not have to deal with the doubt later on that I should have gotten it.

So far I do not regret my decision. There is a lot of tech to learn, but I really enjoy the extra features.
Warrior 6 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 383 Likes on 239 Posts
The Tech and/or Advance packages (V6 only), make these cars more premium. Personally, I wouldn't consider any Acura without at least the Tech package. If it were an issue of budget, then I would choose an Accord EX-L V6 or Touring. Get the Tech package. In the long run, you'll be glad you did. Good luck with whatever you choose though.
niray9 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Instructor

As far as my MUST HAVES(safety warning systems mainly) are concerned, it's possible that these might become standard in 1-2 car generations(1 car generation=5/6 years). So, I was trying to understand if these safety features are really helpful & effective and hence trying to decide if I should to get them.
Some answers to my question above from IIHS in this link ->Honda system cuts insurance claims

Honda warning system trims insurance claims

A combined forward collision and lane departure warning system available on the Honda Accord is reducing insurance claims, a new HLDI analysis shows.
The results are even better than expected based on previous studies of such technology on luxury vehicles.

In the first real-world study of a crash avoidance system on a high-volume, nonluxury vehicle, Honda's system was found to reduce insurance claims for damage to other vehicles by 14 percent. It cut claims for injuries to occupants of the equipped vehicles by 27 percent and claims for injuries to other road users by 40 percent.

"This was our first opportunity to study advanced crash avoidance technology on a high-volume vehicle, and the results are impressive," says HLDI Vice President Matt Moore. "This is a warning system only, but the claim frequency reductions are similar to what we saw earlier for systems with automatic braking."

The rate of property damage liability (PDL) claims was 14 percent lower for vehicles with forward collision and lane departure warning than for those without. PDL covers damage caused by the insured vehicle to someone else's vehicle or property. Claims for front-to-rear crashes that forward collision warning systems are intended to address are common for this type of insurance, and previous studies of front crash prevention systems found statistically significant reductions in PDL claim frequency.

Notably, collision claim severity, or average loss payment per claim, fell by $409 with the warning system. This indicates that many crashes that aren't prevented by the feature are mitigated. Previously studied warning systems didn't show declines in collision severity, and the difference may have to do with the location of the equipment on the vehicle. Honda's system relies on a camera located inside the vehicle, while the other systems use external radar sensors that can be easily damaged, pushing up repair costs in crashes that aren't avoided.

Injury claim frequencies also fell with the warning system. Bodily injury liability coverage, which pays for injuries to occupants of other vehicles or other people on the road, declined 40 percent. Medical payment insurance, which covers injuries to occupants of the insured vehicle, fell 27 percent. Personal injury protection, which is sold in states with no-fault insurance systems and covers injuries to occupants of the insured vehicle regardless of who is at fault, fell 11 percent, but the result wasn't statistically significant.
In short, it looks like the $4-5K for tech package makes sense.

Last edited by niray9; 12-20-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 11:52 PM
Burning Brakes

In short, it looks like the $4-5K for tech package makes sense.
Looks like you made your decision.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
niray9...Life is too short to not get the things you need/want.

The fact you have at least a "MUST HAVE"....there is your answer!
That's dangerous for me, cuz If I follow that logic, I'll probably live in a very nice car
Old 12-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ (LMAO) Well....then I'll refer you to another quote of wisdom to balance my first...."All things in moderation"

I may have to charge you for all these free advices I have been given you.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Burning Brakes

That's dangerous for me, cuz If I follow that logic, I'll probably live in a very nice car
What's wrong with driving a very nice car? I do it everyday.

Although I wouldn't want to live in it, if that was what you were referring to.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Racer

I don't want to play devil's advocate. I do have a base but I would have been mighty fine with tech or advance. Just keep in mind that no amount of safety features will make you a safe driver.

The bottom line for a lot of these safety features always seemed to boil down to confidence being the tool of our own vice - basically the same story about skiers: It's the intermediate ones that statistically hit the trees, not beginners or the experts.

I couldn't find the exact article I read way back then but the link below makes it's point plenty enough.

Cars With Lane Departure Warning Systems Get In More Crashes

To bring things more into context, the lane watch system from the current Accord is camera based which Volvo switched out of as soon as they realized that poor visibility rendered the feature useless. Most blind spot systems including the TLX's BLIS is radar based for that reason.
niray9 (12-23-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Burning Brakes

I read somewhere online that Insurance companies are increasing discounts for added safety features. Apparently they believe these features will work to reduce accidents.

I definitely see how LKAS can assist in driving. While you don't fly by instrument-only in a car, the extra measures are welcome relief if you did not notice an issue about to occur.

Work hard enough and you can justify any opinion.

Pick what you want or don't want. There are other life choices that are more important.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 AM
Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 9-2014

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
I bought the Tech. Actually you writing that lists makes me realize how much extra stuff there is more then I thought. Anyhow, as I understand it there is actually a bit more wiggle room on the Tech package to work the numbers, so in reality it is not a 5K difference.

This was a tough call for me initially, I mean nav I can get by with on my phone, I never had tech package on my TSX.

The pleather actually does a decent job, but the look of the perforated leather is just better my friend, if you owned a TSX you understand.

Blind Spot feature I LOVE, sure lived without it for years, they key word lived, but one of the things I think should be required of all cars. It is just that much safer. It should be standard on all suv/minivan vehicles, people can spout all they want about mirrors this and that, but even that does not cover it.. an over the shoulder look in heavy traffic adds danger as the car in front suddenly slows. I have gotten my fair share of annoyed people because I changed lanes, or me being annoyed by others, no matter how many times you are looking around.

FCW, and LDW are fine, I turn off the LDW, not useful for me. FCW 1/2 the time I ignore since not applicable, and certainly in a true emergency it is not loud enough in your face IMO.

The LKA is pretty cool, sorta ghost in the machine creepy cool, if you do a lot of HWY travel and like cruise then very useful, if not you probably never use it.

Multi-view camera with cross traffic... are you sure that is not on the base? If not again another feature should be standard on all cars. Great example was parked between 2 SUV's so it warned me as I was grandma backing out that incoming traffic was coming, beautiful.

15-18 not needed, like GPS-linked, dual-zone automatic climate control, I guess I have it not sure what it is doing for me. Floor mats I have all weather mats anyhow that I got in my deal.

Now back to the NAV debate, here is where I come in on this, I prefer my google maps on my iphone, I usually get an email or text message or something stored on my phone then just click to map it, no punching in stuff into the acura NAV. If you have your home stored in the system it is perfect to say go home, but otherwise easier to use phone. BUT, here is what I find extremely useful and have used many times:

example 1-Had google maps directing me somewhere drove that then we run into a road blockage, I guess a tree came down. Now google does not see this, so it really wants to force you that way, easy-peasy quick look at the big screen on the Acura NAV and just see that if I take this turn here and here will be back on route, then at this point the nav on the phone can take over since it has to reroute you on another route.
example 2- You are driving somewhere but are not using a nav, you generally know where you are going but not sure if such and such a road takes you there, so you see the Acura nav and see that the next street over would help you out.
example 3- You are driving to a place you go all the time, you take same route all the time, but low and behold there is an accident, you quickly look at Acura nav, turn around take a couple side streets and you are your way.

Those 3 examples are basically ones where we are going back to the old days of having one of those big ass foldable maps we all used to use, except now it is on a nice screen in front of you.

Lastly, I like our ELS system it is impressive, but everyone has different expectations in music so this is up to the user, plus I never A/B the 2 systems. For me worth it since it adds so much depth, and I have it on all the time.

Good luck whatever you decide, and ultimately your budget since at the end of the day that is what matters no matter how much you like features. For me living with Tech I think worth it, but not a no brainer if your budget is tight. If I could cherry pick I would do BSI, multi-view/cross traffic rear camera, ELS, and perf leather.

Acura really needs to view NAV as not a big value feature, heck 2-4 bills, but that is it... whereas I think they view it as a 1000-2000 value added tech.

I think if they added rear seat heaters in the U.S. and 18" wheels then it would be an absolute steal.

Love my TLX, in fact this weekend my sons friend thought it was some sports car, and also thought I had some Tesla, he is only 12 but hey Acura is reaching the youth :-) Then my nephew checks out the car and falls in love sure he is only 18, but Acura is looking more youthful with this iteration.

Happy Holidays,
B.
niray9 (12-23-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.4 Base OR Tech