'15 cpo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 01:52 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'15 cpo?

Hi all- I'm new here as I learn more about the TLX. Just wondering if you all would trust a '15 CPO to have the transmission issues worked out? There are some pretty good deals on the V6, and similar but not quite as good ones on the 2.4. I'd assume they've been updated to new software that would help, but I figured you all would know better and would tell the truth (which I can't completely trust the dealer to). Would you go for a great deal on a '15 CPO, a pretty good deal on a end of model year '16, or just wait for the refresh in a year? Thanks!

Old 07-30-2016, 02:37 PM
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts
$30k for a certified 1yr old mid-size Acura with 15k miles, a V6, and ridiculous amount of tech seems like a great deal. But I would never recommend it, too risky with the transmission as well as a couple other well known issues. I will say the car looks good and is a great value, though. I believe there have been less issues with the 4cyl 8spd DCT? Anyways, if you really like driving the car and think it has plenty of power, get it. If you feel a lack of power when accelerating, really think car through because that's my biggest gripe with it.
Old 07-30-2016, 08:54 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by atl7
$30k for a certified 1yr old mid-size Acura with 15k miles, a V6, and ridiculous amount of tech seems like a great deal. But I would never recommend it, too risky with the transmission as well as a couple other well known issues. I will say the car looks good and is a great value, though. I believe there have been less issues with the 4cyl 8spd DCT? Anyways, if you really like driving the car and think it has plenty of power, get it. If you feel a lack of power when accelerating, really think car through because that's my biggest gripe with it.
Thanks for your reply. In all honesty, the 2.4 felt slower than my 3rd gen Mazda 3s, at least off the line. I suspect the TLX catches up in the upper RPM range, but I felt bad flogging a nearly brand new car to find out. I did not have enough time to test drive the V6. What I really liked was the feeling of composure that the TLX had, along with interior quality. My Mazda gets that speed by being 400 pounds lighter, with great steering, a better torque curve, and no sound deadening whatsoever. To find something that has both, I'd need a BMW (had an e90 in the past), but I'm not 100% convinced I want to go back to the unreliability. Plus I put a lot of highway miles on my cars, and 100k comes very quick in a BMW. I also need the tech package, as the base also has fewer features than I expect at this point (I'm not going back to not having HD radio, for example). I'm sure the V6 with tech would be good, but way out of my price range new. I can swing the 2.4 with tech, but I think its a bit overpriced given the engine (perfectly fine engine- just not pulse quickening). The discounts on 1 year old CPOs are tempting, but only if they are not lemons. This has to be a hard time to be an Acura dealer, although I have to say the sales person I talked to was fantastic. Really knew his cars and understood what the holes in their lineup were right now. Only blip with him was that he thought the base did not have bluetooth streaming. I wonder how many up sells he made on that alone?
Old 08-01-2016, 10:36 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by der_kommissar
Thanks for your reply. In all honesty, the 2.4 felt slower than my 3rd gen Mazda 3s, at least off the line. I suspect the TLX catches up in the upper RPM range, but I felt bad flogging a nearly brand new car to find out. I did not have enough time to test drive the V6. What I really liked was the feeling of composure that the TLX had, along with interior quality. My Mazda gets that speed by being 400 pounds lighter, with great steering, a better torque curve, and no sound deadening whatsoever. To find something that has both, I'd need a BMW (had an e90 in the past), but I'm not 100% convinced I want to go back to the unreliability. Plus I put a lot of highway miles on my cars, and 100k comes very quick in a BMW. I also need the tech package, as the base also has fewer features than I expect at this point (I'm not going back to not having HD radio, for example). I'm sure the V6 with tech would be good, but way out of my price range new. I can swing the 2.4 with tech, but I think its a bit overpriced given the engine (perfectly fine engine- just not pulse quickening). The discounts on 1 year old CPOs are tempting, but only if they are not lemons. This has to be a hard time to be an Acura dealer, although I have to say the sales person I talked to was fantastic. Really knew his cars and understood what the holes in their lineup were right now. Only blip with him was that he thought the base did not have bluetooth streaming. I wonder how many up sells he made on that alone?
For the same price range (sounds like you're buying, not leasing) take a look at Lexus CPO cars, especially if you drive a lot - they have the BEST CPO warranty of any brand right now for people who put a lot of miles on their cars - 2 years/unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty after the initial 4/50k is over (plus first 2 year/20k miles maintenance is free). Also, you can add an additional 3 year/unlimited mile warranty to that (So 5 year/unlimited mile warranty). My friend bought a CPO 2012 IS250 AWD w/ nav this weekend for ~$24900 + $2800 for 3 year additional warranty.He's planning on putting 40k to 50k miles on his car annually (similar to how much I've been driving lately), so in 5 years, he'd have 240k to 300k miles and still be under factory warranty... Seriously considering trading in my TL at the end of the year for a CPO Lexus to eat miles in simply because of their warranty.

Mercedes has a similar CPO program, but it's only a 1 year extension, with an opportunity to extend for 2 or 3 years, IIRC. Acura CPO is next to worthless imo and isn't worth the CPO premium -- Basically its a 1 year/12k mile extension to the factory warranty.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:27 AM
5th Gear

Thanks for the tip- I've never thought of myself as a Lexus person, but I'll take a look. The IS is just too small for a person with a family, unfortunately. I really want Acura to be the blend of performance, quality, and reliability that it used to be. I think the TLX is close, but the performance is a bit lackluster, and its hard to look at the same controls as are in my Odyssey EX and think luxury.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the tip- I've never thought of myself as a Lexus person, but I'll take a look. The IS is just too small for a person with a family, unfortunately. I really want Acura to be the blend of performance, quality, and reliability that it used to be. I think the TLX is close, but the performance is a bit lackluster, and its hard to look at the same controls as are in my Odyssey EX and think luxury.
Definitely agree that the IS is tiny compared to the TL/TLX. The GS seems to be right up your alley with performance, quality, and reliability -- In the mid atlantic/northeast, 2013 GS CPO's with 40k to 60k miles are going for ~$28k-$32k, but is a far nicer car than the TLX imo (albeit, it's a $40k car vs a $50k car) but the unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty puts me to ease. After helping my buddy buy his Lexus this weekend, I can almost say for certain that my next car I purchase will be a Lexus CPO. The quality of materials and build quality seems to be far better than Acura, plus I'm putting around 50k miles on my car per year right now.

The main thing that kind of worries me about the TLX (and the reason why I didn't recommend my friend even looking to buy any of the new Acuras) is that Acura has some QC issues. The JD Power initial quality survey (Pretty sure I'm referencing the right one) puts Honda/Acura near bottom of the list. Some carfax reports for used TLX's in my area has them going back for some issue multiple times (1 TLX in particular at an Infiniti dealership showed that the o2 sensor was replaced 3x and the owner traded in with like 51k on it and several of the TLX loaners I've had had some sort of issues of things not being bolted together tightly (ie the seat). The TLX is a great car, but it is simply a car I would recommend my friends and family to lease, not buy - I just wouldn't be comfortable with having one out of warranty since it seems to have a lot of small QC/tranny issues compared to other brands right now.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:20 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
Hi all- I'm new here as I learn more about the TLX. Just wondering if you all would trust a '15 CPO to have the transmission issues worked out? There are some pretty good deals on the V6, and similar but not quite as good ones on the 2.4. I'd assume they've been updated to new software that would help, but I figured you all would know better and would tell the truth (which I can't completely trust the dealer to). Would you go for a great deal on a '15 CPO, a pretty good deal on a end of model year '16, or just wait for the refresh in a year? Thanks!
No. Just No. Not maybe... no.

2016 Yes, 2017 Yes, 2015... NO.
The following users liked this post:
youngTL (08-08-2016)
Old 08-08-2016, 04:23 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
No. Just No. Not maybe... no.

2016 Yes, 2017 Yes, 2015... NO.
Exactly this.

My 16 TLX had no QC issues, just a software update. I'm at 19,800 km on the odometer now and I'm very happy with it. 2015's are plagued with teething issues and transmission issues.
Old 08-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Cruisin'

I just got a 2015 TLX and in three weeks it has had 6 false neutrals where twice I was launched into traffic! I'm now trying to get the dealer to buy it back... I don't trust the car one bit anymore and will not let my wife drive it.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts
i agree with the rest. Stay away from '15 TLX'es or TLX in general. Even if you have the warranty, it means squat. I purchased brand new TLX and the car was plagued with 9 speed tranny issues and vibrations. I gave up on the car cause the dealer and the regional manager were all useless in resolving my issues. So yeah, so much for my warranty.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Based on what I've read (extensively, I might add), no to the 2015 V-6.

Based on what I've read, and my personal experience with the 2.4, you would be OK with the 2015 TLX 2.4. The transmission problems were minimal, except for a few complete lemons, and fixed with software updates. Many of us have had no serious problems with the 2.4.

Be careful with responses to your questions - many folks don't state which version they are referring to.

Just my opinion of course
Old 08-14-2016, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
My 2015 V6 P-AWS Tech has been near perfect (I have an August build), save for some initial transmission hiccups. It's pretty smooth now but I'm gonna have the latest update done tomorrow. I do have some vibration as well but honestly I can't tell if that's from the car or the Bass in the ELS system, lol. I'll get it looked at as well tomorrow. I think many of the niggles were pretty solved in the later production for the 2015s. I know I had a couple of QC issues (a trim piece not being fully pushed in and secured and a minor clear coat drip on the driver's side rear door-which honestly I can't even see unless I stare really close at it..), but other than that, car has been great.