'15 2.4 Tech Owner But not for Long???

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts
'15 2.4 Tech Owner But not for Long???

Ok before this devolves into another TLX bashing/TLX is perfection ppl are stupid thread, let me just get some points out of the way.
I like the car! I don't love it, but I like it. There are some infotainment issues, and I can't fathom why Acura chose these OEM tires and wheels. The TLX would definitely benefit from better /bigger wheel design (17" on my car looks ridiculous when my 20yr old m3 which is half the size came with 17s) and an ever so slightly stiffer suspension, it's a little too soft for me (my wife loves the way it rides though, but she's a huge fan of non F sport Lexus models so no surprise). I also own a 2013 MDX Tech (SHAWD standard), and an E36 M3 and love both.

TLX Pros:
1) Rev happy engine
2) I actually really like the 8-DCT
3) Very quiet and smooth
4) While it's a little bland and could use a little bit of a drop and better wheels the overall design of it is pleasing! nothing inherently wrong that can't be easily fixed with some basic mods
5) Price!

TLX Cons:
1) Infotainment is not on par with most things offered out there
2) A little more floaty than I prefer, but not bad by any means
3) Wheels/Tires
4) feels like a design/engineering with real potential that was neutered by the accounting dept.

I saw that a thread was closed of an owner that went from a 2015 TLX SHAWD to a Golf R, and that's remarkably close to what I was thinking of doing. I actually had a chance to take a new still on the lot 2016 GTI Autobahn with Performance pack and DCC(Adjustable shocks) home for a day b/c I was thinking of possibly trading in the TLX depending on the deal they give me. I have 2 kids in seats so I was worried about the practicality of the GTI but weirdly it has the same amount of usable space (not saying same space, obviously the TLX is a bigger car so it will feel wider and less claustrophobic in the back) and actually has more storage in door pockets etc (still don't understand why the TLX has no door pockets in the rear).

Anyway if they give me a ridiculous deal I may consider the switch, just worried about reliability long term as I've owned german cars in the past well over 150k miles.

I know a lot of ppl on here have changed tires, wheels, and/or suspension and have said it's a remarkable improvement so if the GTI doesn't work out, my plan is to spend about 4-5k on wheels+tires+coilovers. (was really hoping not to spend a bunch of money on this car modding it tho)
Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by E90 Skye
I saw that a thread was closed of an owner that went from a 2015 TLX SHAWD to a Golf R, and that's remarkably close to what I was thinking of doing. I actually had a chance to take a new still on the lot 2016 GTI Autobahn with Performance pack and DCC(Adjustable shocks) home for a day b/c I was thinking of possibly trading in the TLX depending on the deal they give me.

In before the and in before another member says you are considering a crappy econobox! Nevermind one that that has been named to Car and Driver's 10 Best for 10 years running, but I digress.

I've heard VW is handing out some very attractive incentives on the GTI, not so much the R but I wanted to stick with AWD, even if it is inferior to SH-AWD. I miss the LED jewel eyes too, but the adaptive Xenon's are fine. As far as interior space, oddly enough I find it to be just as comfortable as the TLX despite the smaller foot print. My garage at work has super tight parking spots, so I wanted a compact car. Like you I have two young kids in boosters, but because of the shape, rear seat space is probably a touch better than the TLX actually. Good luck with your decision. There is something inherently good about the Golf and I can now feel/drive/see why.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fibonacci

I've heard VW is handing out some very attractive incentives on the GTI, not so much the R but I wanted to stick with AWD, even if it is inferior to SH-AWD. I miss the LED jewel eyes too, but the adaptive Xenon's are fine. As far as interior space, oddly enough I find it to be just as comfortable as the TLX despite the smaller foot print. My garage at work has super tight parking spots, so I wanted a compact car. Like you I have two young kids in boosters, but because of the shape, rear seat space is probably a touch better than the TLX actually. Good luck with your decision. There is something inherently good about the Golf and I can now feel/drive/see why.

Yes sir, they are handing out crazy deals on them right now. I was salivating over an APR Tuned R in the show room... so nice... also you're absolutely right, something about the shape of the seats and also the door opening is easier to get kids in and out of the back seats, especially when they're in car seats.

GTI
TLX
Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
I'm keeping my 2.4 Tech for the very reasons you mentioned, plus the increased room over my previous Lexus IS250.

I'm looking at a GTI for a different reason - to replace my Mazda Miata. I love the little roadster, but it's starting to show it's age. And getting my 77 year old body in and out is becoming a bit of a chore. I use it in place of my previously owned bikes for driving in the mountains and general driving fun. And it's been very economical which is important since it's more of a toy for me.

So I've researched the GTI and think it might fit the bill nicely - affordable fun. The reviews have been fantastic, and I'm about to enter the test drive phase.

However, there's another hatch that's also in my sights - the Mazda3. It also has rave reviews, drives great and is affordable. However, power is down from the GTI. Reliability and maintenance may be a bit better though. One of the big pluses for me is the shift pattern for the auto in manual mode (sounds weird, doesn't it?). I drive my Miata in manual mode about 70% of the time - I love the driving experience in manual. After so many years, I'm so used to the Mazda pattern (forward to downshift, back to up-shift) that I'm sure I would dislike the other pattern (which the GTI has). By the way, I don't use the paddles, I like to use the stick. Sounds like a small thing, but is important to me.

So I'm going to drive them both several times and then make the decision. There's no rush and it'll be fun to try them out. Probably can't go wrong with either.

So let us know what you decide, and review the GTI if that's the way you go. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wlkeel
However, there's another hatch that's also in my sights - the Mazda3. It also has rave reviews, drives great and is affordable. However, power is down from the GTI. Reliability and maintenance may be a bit better though. One of the big pluses for me is the shift pattern for the auto in manual mode (sounds weird, doesn't it?).
The Mazda 3 (in S-GT form) is a GREAT hatch! A friend of mine just got one a year ago, and it is great to drive! The back seat opening is a little tighter to get small kids or car seats in and out of just b/c of the door opening (which is a slight prob for me), but other than that I really like that car, in fact all Mazda's are high on my list of recommendable cars. And I know exactly what you're talking about, I feel like Mazda and BMW do it correctly, pull back to shift up, and push up to shift down, it just makes more sense momentum wise, and in typical manual transmission layouts the lower gear is laid on the top rows while the corresponding gear thats one up is below so it's a very natural feeling to pull back to shift up and push up to shift down. I drove my sisters A4 around a bit and thats one of the things I couldn't stand about it since she doesn't have paddle shifters. Hopefully it's not a deal breaker for you if everything else checks out on the GTI but I can totally understand why it would annoy you, especially if you're not a fan of paddles. Could always get a stick tho! haha

Good luck to you! I will keep you all informed if I do make the switch and definitely will do a thorough comparison after some ownership time.

I actually weirdly recommend the TLX to a couple ppl I know that are looking for exactly what the TLX is, a very comfortable sedan with sporting aspirations and can be had with AWD. So not saying it's not a good car at all, and am glad there are lots of ppl that love it!
Old 01-12-2017, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts
Thanks for the input on the Mazda3, and I'm really in agreement on the shift layout - BMW and Mazda do it right! I get by with the paddles in the TLX, but my wife's Cadillac ATS doesn't have paddles, so I have to use the shift lever (which has the "wrong" layout). I'm getting to where I just leave the ATS in Drive. By the way, a stick is out because of the clutch pedal and a bad hip. Luckily, there are some fine auto transmissions with manual mode.

Also agree on the tight back seat, but not an issue for me. After all, it is bigger than the Miatas.

And yes, the TLX is a fine car for what it is. Sometimes we ask too much of it.

Thanks again.
The following users liked this post:
E90 Skye (01-30-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 02:59 PM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
I went from 2008 TL Type S to a 2017 Audi S3. Below are other Honda models I have owned and passed down to family members. Anyway my first time going to a German car and so far I like it. Other models considered, Acura ILX/TLX and Lexus IS 350.

1992 GSR
2001 GSR Sedan
2006 TSX

The following 3 users liked this post by nothome17:
E90 Skye (01-30-2017), kurtatx (02-09-2017), TacoBello (02-13-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 03:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 546 Likes on 361 Posts
Nice car, congrats! I'm personally waiting on the S4 since the S3 is too small for me. See, now that's a nice design. Not the freakin cut and paste that is the MMC.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by pyrodan007
Nice car, congrats! I'm personally waiting on the S4 since the S3 is too small for me. See, now that's a nice design. Not the freakin cut and paste that is the MMC.
Thanks..

It's just an MMC so will see when the full refresh comes out. For right now, It should work out in favor for those leasing cars.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by nothome17
I went from 2008 TL Type S to a 2017 Audi S3. Below are other Honda models I have owned and passed down to family members. Anyway my first time going to a German car and so far I like it. Other models considered, Acura ILX/TLX and Lexus IS 350.

1992 GSR
2001 GSR Sedan
2006 TSX

Beautiful S3. I'm on my second A7. 20,000 miles on it and zero problems. A close friend of mine is on his second S8. Zero problems. Admittedly we don't keep our cars a long time. But that's still four Audis between us with zero problems
Old 01-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jjsC5
Beautiful S3. I'm on my second A7. 20,000 miles on it and zero problems. A close friend of mine is on his second S8. Zero problems. Admittedly we don't keep our cars a long time. But that's still four Audis between us with zero problems
So far the only issues I've seen on the Audi forums is the Haldex not working properly and magnetic ride error code when changed to aftermarket suspension. I've come to that stage where I no longer keep cars more than 4-5 years as well.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:00 PM
Advanced

S3 is a great car! congrats! a wonderful Golf R with a nice looking sedan body, and a few nicer audi things as audis tend to be very nice places to be.
My sister has a 2015 A4 and it's very nice as well. If I could afford it an S3 or S4 would be awesome, heck even an A4 (as long as it's got quattro) would be awesome, especially the new 2017s.

Still going back and forth, will probably end up making a trade sometime soon. (also considering 14/15 pre-owned Audi A4 Premium Plus quattro)
Old 01-30-2017, 06:58 PM
I feel the need...

I went from 2008 TL Type S to a 2017 Audi S3. Anyway my first time going to a German car and so far I like it.
Nice car and beautiful color! I wanted a manual, thus the Golf R. First German car for me too, but really enjoying it so far.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:52 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 20 Posts
I like my 2.4 tech but will get a crossover next time

i hope the acura Honda resale value helps me next January
Old 02-02-2017, 11:03 PM
Advanced

Nice car and beautiful color! I wanted a manual, thus the Golf R. First German car for me too, but really enjoying it so far.
how are you liking your R so far? Comfortable enough as a daily?
I'm pretty close to a purchase on a GTI, just waiting for them to come down a bit more or for me o to just bite the bullet on a little money on top of the trade.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:17 AM
I feel the need...

how are you liking your R so far? Comfortable enough as a daily?
Love it so far and yes, a near-perfect daily driver. Compared to the TLX:

1. A LOT more fun to drive, puts a grin on my face every time.
2. Variability in drive mode depending on your mood, comfort/normal/race or individual adjustment of adaptive dampers/steering weight/throttle response.
3. Super comfortable seats with better lumbar support than the TLX.
4. Navigation input is more intuitive and will complete your address and doesn't lag...an...extra...second...between...each...lette r...
5. Apple Play - YAY! but I think this feature is being rolled out in the newer Acura's finally.
6. Confident braking, not soft and mushy like the TLX.
7. Interior feels a bit more premium with nicer touches than the TLX, for example even the rear seat pockets are carpeted and the interior light piping is cool.
8. Significantly quicker, its like an eager playful puppy pulling on its leash, just has an urgency that was missing from the TLX.

Dislikes:
1. Miss my Jewel Eye LED's - the adaptive xenon's are nice, but not as bright.
2. Steering is a bit dead on center, similar to the 4G TL, requires more input.
3. Fuel economy is poorer than the TLX, but that might be my lead foot talking or maybe it just has smaller fuel tank capacity.
4. Don't care for the soundaktor, I will turning this feature off with a reflash at my first oil change.
5. Fender sound system is nice but not as good as the ELS in the TECH's.
6. Miss my moonroof
7. Capless fuel cap, a small feature but taken for granted and I miss it.
8. I miss the thumps up/down on Pandora which was easy to do on the Acura screen, on the R it requires an additional input. Another small feature taken for granted and now missed.

Will post pics when it's not freezing cold out and have a chance to wash off the road salt and slush. So far my only mods have been Xpel paint protection and some winter wheel/tires from Tirerack.
The following 2 users liked this post by Fibonacci:
E90 Skye (02-06-2017), kurtatx (02-04-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 03:52 PM
I feel the need...

A couple more notes to add:

Like: the hidden rear view camera in the VW logo that pops out - always clean and clear image while reversing, excellent touch.

Dislike: 6MT is just not as smooth and snickety~snick like a Honda manual. Still way more fun the the ZF though!
E90 Skye (02-10-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:28 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts

1992 GSR
2001 GSR Sedan
2006 TSX

Damn dude. That thing is spectacular. Congrats! Just bought my second Audi. SO much fun.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:32 PM
Advanced

Finally made the trade. Got the price I asked for, and some good incentives (ext warranty, 3 yr maintenance, all weather mats) Autobahn trim, DSG (b/c my wife didn't want to have to drive stick if ever the need arose), performance pack. Really happy with it for the night that I've owned it so far, will do a better review and comparison to my now gone TLX 2.4 DCT w/Tech when i've had a few weeks of seat time in the GTI.
But right off the bat:
Pros:
Steering, power, grip, suspension, carplay, brakes
Cons:
No Homelink standard!?!? No seat memory.

and here's some pics!

The following 3 users liked this post by E90 Skye:
Fibonacci (02-11-2017), kurtatx (02-11-2017), nothome17 (03-16-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 08:30 AM
I feel the need...

Cons:
No Homelink standard!?!? No seat memory.

and here's some pics!
Congrats! We'll convert this into VeeDubzine in to time.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised on the lack of homelink too, I haven't used a standard garage door opener since forever ago. Seat memory is not a big deal for me as my wife doesn't drive a manual.

Enjoy your new ride and hit me up with PM if interested in buying a set of Pirelli P-Zero's on Pretoria 19's. They are literally brand new because I swapped out my 17" winter wheel/tire set when I took delivery.
Love the look of the Pretoria's, but am leaning toward going with an 18" wheel set for a bit more sidewall on the punishing potholed roads here in MI.
E90 Skye (02-13-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 10:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,210 Posts
OP and happy motoring.
E90 Skye (02-13-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 12:09 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts

Yeah, I was a bit surprised on the lack of homelink too, I haven't used a standard garage door opener since forever ago. Seat memory is not a big deal for me as my wife doesn't drive a manual.

Enjoy your new ride and hit me up with PM if interested in buying a set of Pirelli P-Zero's on Pretoria 19's. They are literally brand new because I swapped out my 17" winter wheel/tire set when I took delivery.
Love the look of the Pretoria's, but am leaning toward going with an 18" wheel set for a bit more sidewall on the punishing potholed roads here in MI.
Can we settle for VDubGroupZine?

lol.

Congrats, OP. I love me a good VW. Enjoy it in good health!
E90 Skye (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ggesq
OP and happy motoring.
Thank you sir! will definitely still be on this forum as I do have a love for Acuras, and still have our 2013 MDX w/Tech. Hoping my TLX 2.4 Tech makes someone a very happy owner, still a great car that will be a good fit for someone else!
ggesq (02-13-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:52 PM
Advanced

Would love the Pretorias, my wife pointed those out at the dealership (they were on a white R) and thought I should get em, but we have so much construction around here right now that I'm sticking to the 18" austins for now.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:09 PM
Advanced

Ok Finally getting my review in. Have put a little over 1k miles on the GTI since purchasing it so feel it's a pretty good initial sample size to do a comparison. I'll just start by saying the things I love/like about the GTI and things I don't/wish were better.

Like/Love on GTI:
1. Very flexible powertrain, can be smooth and efficient or fast and fun
2. Handling is amazing, sticks to corners, LSD up front allows it to rotate around corners (adjustable aggressiveness of LSD is awesome too)
3. Interior space in it's compact footprint
4. A bit more unique in my neighborhood/part of town
5. Apple Carplay and Bluetooth works great.
6. Steering wheel (love it's shape and feel)
7. Brakes (super strong, bites hard when you want it to)
8. Rear view camera is incredibly clear and being that it's hidden under the rear hatch emblem it always stays clean
9. Seats are comfortable while being incredibly well bolstered, great hip/waist+back/thigh support (i'm 5'11")
... then a bunch of smaller things that I won't bother listing.
10. Has some great little subtle detailing/design touches that give it a bit more character

Dislikes/Cons of GTI (especially compared to my old TLX 2.4 Tech)
1. no homelink until you upgrade to the enhanced mirror
2. safety features such as LKAS, LDW are only avaible with DAP package even on top trim Autobahn (which is what I have), and I don't think even that has cross traffic alert like my TLX tech did.
3. No drivers seat memory (this isn't really a big deal most of the time... except occasionally when my wife(5'4) drives and I have to put the thing back into my very specific seating position which is annoying
4. (really an issue I had with the TLX too) no LED indicators, and tail lights aren't the euro LED housings, Euro models get a really nice looking LED setup for the rear, and the facelift has the new Audi sequential LED indicators plus LED light piping (but this is very nit picky)
5. Tank is kinda small. Getting a little better mileage than I did with my TLX but tank is about 5 gallons smaller. Not a problem as far as range is concerned for me, b/c our MDX is our family road trip car, but it does cause me to fill up more frequently.
6. Ppl who don't really know cars or what a GTI is kinda looked at me like "you gave up your Acura sedan for a hatch back??" I can tell maybe a couple ppl I know probably think I'm in financial trouble unaware that a loaded up GTI is 35k+ (this has NO meaning to me but just an observation I noticed, and expected. In contrast tho, I'm part of a group of car guys that frequently track their stuff and have varied enthusiast car ownership from spec Miatas, FD Rx7s, to 911 Turbos, among others, and they were all very excited about me getting a MK7 GTI)
7. Turbo lag is present when in normal mode (under 3k rpm), but the DSG does a great job managing it, especially when you decide to drive it quick, and especially in sport or individual settings where you can adjust the way it responds.

So far so great! love the car and my wife and kids are growing fond of it. My wife finally drove it 2 weeks ago for a day on her own, when I took her MDX in to get serviced, and came back home saying "now I know why YOU like that car so much" haha. so while the TLX is more her jam due to it's ultra smooth/supple ride, the GTI is more mine!

Hope that's a thorough enough update! Couple pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails '15 2.4 Tech Owner But not for Long???-dsc_0286.jpg   '15 2.4 Tech Owner But not for Long???-dsc_0291.jpg   '15 2.4 Tech Owner But not for Long???-dsc_0288.jpg  
The following 3 users liked this post by E90 Skye:
kurtatx (03-16-2017), nothome17 (03-16-2017), wlkeel (03-16-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 05:34 PM

Received 1,405 Likes on 636 Posts
Thanks for the update and review - sounds like it's a good fit for you and that's all that matters. They do score high on the fun to drive scale!
E90 Skye (03-14-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:32 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Congrats OP!

Looks like a fun car to drive. That's what I miss the most since trading in my TSX for my 2.4 TLX Tech.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:12 PM
Racer

Congrats with the GTi!!