Tecommended Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Tecommended Maintenance

Good Morning All,

Now that my little rocket has her new turbo charger and intercooler, I am starting to really fall in love with this Acura. Nothing better than scaring the crap our of your friends .

She just turn 89000 miles. Since I really don't know what kind of maintenance was done before I got her, I am wondering a couple of things.

1) Without starting a debate, if I change the oil before the oil life on the MID is depeleted, will I still get maintenance reminders? I am just one of those people that change it every 3 months whether it needs it or not. My last car was a Cadillac and I never saw the "Oil Change Required" message

2) What other maintenace should I be prepping my wallet for? I am assuming some stuff will need to be done at or around 100K. When they replaced the TC, the changed the plugs and cleaned the throttle body and fuel injectors.

Also, I have tracked an occasional rattle on the passenger side down to the glovebox damper. I am thinking about just wrapping in some thin foam and seeing if that helps. The damper is pretty much useless, so I may just take it out all together.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions guys.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
Hey Brad,
You will not get a reminder if you change oil before 15% left. But if you faithfully keep records you will know when to do what is recommended by the manual.

If your previous owner did not use the maint log you can look things over to see what you need to do to maintain your ride.

Look at the brake, trans and p/s fluid color and remove and replace if it looks darker than new.
Coolant is good for 5 years and then should be changed.
Intake air and cabin air filters should be inspected and replaced as needed. I pull the intake air filter every oil change and tap out the debris and then r&r it annually.

I CAREFULLY vacuum the top of the intercooler every oil change.

Doug
Old 07-30-2014, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Sadly, no records. I know the stuff Acura of Reno did before the sale and during the TC change out. So I am thinking I will take it for service in a few months for:

Coolant Flush.
PS and Brake Fluid change.
Front and Rear Diff. fluid change.
A/T fluid change.

That should keep her running good for the 50K.

The air filter and cabin filter are things I will do myself.

I have to say, I am loving the ease of getting at stuff on this car. Honda/Acura but some thought into design. My Cadillac had oil leak and it was going to be 3000 to fix. Most off the cost was labor to get the Northstar out of the car.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by bmconway89511

if I change the oil before the oil life on the MID is depeleted, will I still get maintenance reminders?
Yes, the computer cannot detect fresh oil. Unless you reset it (which you can do anytime) it will give the oil change signal based on miles, starts and a few temperature measurements. If you reset it every 3 months, keep in mind that there are other services which may not show. You might want to let it go until it displays services.

Originally Posted by bmconway
2) What other maintenace should I be prepping my wallet for?
At that mileage, replace all of the fluids and consider front control arms. Rubber suspension bushings are wear items.

Originally Posted by bmconway
Also, I have tracked an occasional rattle on the passenger side down to the glovebox damper. I am thinking about just wrapping in some thin foam and seeing if that helps. The damper is pretty much useless, so I may just take it out all together.
The nylon hook snaps tight. See if the nylon hook is detached or broken.