Scratches in pebble-grain plastic

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 12:43 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scratches in pebble-grain plastic

I did a search here for this subject, but the list of results was huge.

I bought a 2011 RDX used, and the previous owner must have carried something in the back with sharp corners that rattled around a lot. As a result, I have several scratches in the pebble-grained plastic panel on the inside of the rear hatch. Does anyone have a solution for this?
Old 12-04-2013, 02:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by jgaffney
... several scratches in the pebble-grained plastic panel on the inside of the rear hatch. Does anyone have a solution for this?
Its like a scratch in the body paint - so replace the plastic parts, or you can attempt to minimize how obvious is the scratch, just as you would for a body paint scratch.

My own RDX has some scratches in that area. You can only see the scratches when looking *up* at the open hatch, so they cannot be that obvious. Anyway ...

Decide whether making the sheen on the part dull or shinny makes the scratches more or less obvious. You may need to experiment.

1. FLAT FINISH: I recommend ArmorAll Natural Finish Detailer Protectant. Because all manufs are constantly changing products, I cannot find a specific part number or product number, just the name as written on the bottle. I use this on my RDX dash because it is completely flat (non-reflective). Apply, allow to soak, then wipe off any excess with a soft cloth. Be aware that the MSDS says it contains a algaecide/ microbiocide, highly toxic, non-carcenogenic - but no silicone.

2. GLOSS FINISH: ArmorAll Original, which is a Silicone emulsion (water based mixture). I use this on the RDX plastic parts on the door sill, as this seems best to hide the many scratches and mars on those parts. I also replaced the original tan (interior color) parts with one OEM black plastic part, just on the bottom of the door sill opening. What color is the interior of your own vehicle? replace the inside hatch cover with black part?

3. SEMI-GLOSS FINISH: Megiuar's M40 Vinyl Rubber Conditioner, which does seem to contain silicone, although this is not listed as an ingredient in the MSDS, which is allowed since silicone (water borne, Polydimetalsiloxane resin) is not listed by CAS as a toxic/ controlled substance. I use this on my Chevy dash, as it seems to hide the blemishes better, and the windshield is not so slanted as the RDX, so reflections are not as much of a problem.

Let us know if you find a better *solution* to your problem.

=====
I use the above products, because they DO NOT contain any petroleum distillates or solvents, such as stodard solvent, which most other detailing products DO contain, even those from the same manufs listed above. Check the MSDS for any product you wish to use.

Last edited by dcmodels; 12-04-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
... previous owner must have carried something in the back with sharp corners that rattled around a lot...
Hostage woke up.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DCModels, thanks for the input. I'll try sanding the scratches lightly to remove the whiskers, then the ArmorAll flat finish product. I'll let you know how it comes out.

BTW, what is your avatar a picture of?
Old 12-15-2013, 01:23 AM
Burning Brakes

DCModels, ... what is your avatar a picture of?
A 1999 BMW LMR LeMans racer cockpit, a 1/18th scale diecast model, which I detailed with paint and wire, and photoetched seatbelt, and carbon-fiber decals.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:32 AM
Burning Brakes

DCModels... what is your avatar a picture of?
Sorry, I know this is off-topic: Kyosho 1/18th scale model
Attached Thumbnails Scratches in pebble-grain plastic-bmw_lmr_interior_assembled_driver-detail.jpg   Scratches in pebble-grain plastic-bmw_lmr_interior_assembled_driver-left.jpg