Hidden Hitch / Draw Tite Bolts Fit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hidden Hitch / Draw Tite Bolts Fit?

I posted this in the sticky thread at the top but it's been a couple days and I haven't heard anything, so I'm unsure if it's been seen. Leaving on a trip in a couple days so I could use some feedback on this if anyone has any. Thanks.

Hey guys, I'm having a hell of a time getting the brass bolts from my Hidden Hitch (etrailer.com) to thread into my '07 RDX. I can get them in about 1/8 to 1/4 inch (maybe 1 to 3 revolutions) and then they stop threading by hand. After that I can use a wrench for a revolution or two before it seems a lot harder than it should be to turn.

I've cleaned out the holes (yes, the ones closest to rear of car) with WD40 and a brush, got some gunk out but still these bolts do NOT want to turn. I didn't want to fry my threads so I didn't put much pressure on them. Edit: I've got the hitch on there now, but the bolts are hanging with a good 1/2 inch of play. The directions seem to correspond with the numbers on the brass bolts (there's a 10.9 in the direx and also a 10.9 printed on the bolt head), so I'm at a loss here.

Does anyone remember the brass-colored bolts being hard to seat/especially hard to turn? I wonder if I got a mismatched/defective set or something.

Also wondering if anyone has an '07-'08 RDX and this Hidden Hitch or a DrawTite one, if they can look at the bolts underneath and see if they have that 10.9 number imprinted on the heads.

Leaving on a trip Weds and need to get this baby installed asap. Thanks for any help. Happy 4th to all!
Old 07-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Pacer
Also wondering if anyone has an '07-'08 RDX and this Hidden Hitch or a DrawTite one, if they can look at the bolts underneath and see if they have that 10.9 number imprinted on the heads.

Leaving on a trip Weds and need to get this baby installed asap. Thanks for any help. Happy 4th to all!
10.9 is the *hardness* / strength of the bolt, not the thread-pitch size of the bolt. Sounds like the threads of the bolt that you are trying to install, is not the same as the thread size of the hole. Find a bolt that will thread into the hole by hand. Metric bolts come in two DIFFERENT standard thread-pitch sizes for each size diameter of bolt.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:19 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with the bolts from my "Curt" hitch from etrailer.com.

Except mine just won't screw in at all.... I did the same as you, cleaned with a brush, WD40, Rust Off and pressured air and still, the bolts won't screw in the welded nuts of the car.

I spoke with an etrailer rep, and told me sometimes manufacturer apply a thin coat of paint to their frames to prevent rust, so the nut' thread might be coated with some paint.

He recommended I go to a NAPA (or any other) store and buy a Tap to redo the welded nut's thread.... I haven't got around to do it, but I will certainly try!
Old 09-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I went to NAPA yesterday, YIKES, this damn tap is 30$!

Oh well!
Old 09-18-2014, 11:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by jo.jacques
I went to NAPA yesterday, YIKES, this damn tap is 30$!
Make certain that the tap matches the existing threads, else the *new* threads won't hold. I find it difficult to believe that simply paint on the existing threads is the problem. Can you get a good look at the existing threads in the hole? If yes, then you should be able to see if there is actually something *wrong* with the existing threads.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:58 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I ordered the Curt Manufacturing 13536 Class III Receiver on Amazon at it worked for my 08 RDX with zero issues. I live in the southwest with only 4 inches of rain a year might of helped. My son noticed there were two different types of bolt threads. I didn't notice the difference under the RDX in the garage; but, he did.

I hand tighten the bolt into the frame without the hitch thinking it would clean the threads out. Then I backed it out to check out the threads and re-tighten with the socket a little further in. The bolts near the rear bumper went in with zero issues. I had a hard time aligning the nut/bolt away from the bumper (requires a lot of patience and luck).

Name:  2014-06-11114846_zps18083863.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  2.02 MB