Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Intelligence

Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by arstraub
Nothing can be perfect as far as genes are concerned. I'd love for my kids to have my strawberry hair and blue eyes, but if I marry my bf and we have kids, he has black hair and brown eyes. I'm full of recessive traits while he's full of dominant, so they may be white kids with black hair and brown eyes - nothing I can do about it. I'm not looking for perfection, just a fair shot haha
FYI, Perfect genes don't produce ginger kids.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 196 Likes on 99 Posts
Intelligence is very important to me. A person having a post-secondary education or not isn't a refection of intelligence, but the ability to be articulate and creative certainly is. I've dated professional women such as physicians to those who have had more mundane careers, but the biggest attraction in each instance was their intelligence.

I find an intelligent woman also to be more confident, secure, humorous, and even physically attractive. I'm certainly not the world's brightest individual, but I love a woman who keeps me on my toes on an intellectual level.

Terry
Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
very important, if they look pretty and can't speak somewhat intelligent? hard to deal with
Old 05-14-2008, 09:01 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GrandeInter10
How is a lower level of education considered a lower level of intelligence? That's the kind of ignorance we talk about in Logic all day long. Our society is media fed and conditioned to think that someone who graduated from Harvard is smarter than someone who only has a HS diploma. Intelligence is one thing, but what you refer to as intelligence in terms of "she didn't graduate college" is talking about knowledge. There's people out there who are much smarter than most of the guys on this forum and I know there's some intelligent guys on here. Knowledge ("education") isn't intelligence...
Intelligence begets education. Intelligence means "To Understand". If you can't understand/comprehend things, its much more difficult go about getting an education. But it doesn't mean that all uneducated people are unintelligent. Bill Gates is a perfect example of this. But he was intelligent enough in the first place to get into Harvard.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Internet dating. At least you can gauge their intelligence by their grammar and composition. It's important to me, too. I used to really jab at my wife for the "your/you're" typos. It's still a running joke.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
Originally Posted by joerockt
Intelligence begets education. Intelligence means "To Understand". If you can't understand/comprehend things, its much more difficult go about getting an education. But it doesn't mean that all uneducated people are unintelligent. Bill Gates is a perfect example of this. But he was intelligent enough in the first place to get into Harvard.
Similarly, being "ignorant" is not always meant as an insult. It just means you've never been taught or never learned. It has no bearing on your ability to understand the concept.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 PM
E92

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Anachostic
Internet dating. At least you can gauge their intelligence by their grammar and composition. It's important to me, too. I used to really jab at my wife for the "your/you're" typos. It's still a running joke.
You must LOVE AZ then. Somebody makes that mistake in every thread

and lack of intelligence is a major turn-off
Old 05-14-2008, 10:18 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Anachostic
Similarly, being "ignorant" is not always meant as an insult. It just means you've never been taught or never learned. It has no bearing on your ability to understand the concept.

My sentiments exactly. You would be surprised at how many of our collegiate members have no clue when it comes to this. Yet, claim to be "educated" in front of God and everybody. I would say those supposed claims, depict a lack of intelligence on their part...
Old 05-15-2008, 12:22 AM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its hard these days though to find a girl who is actually interested in real events like whats going on in the world and actually understands intelligent conversation. I feel like an asshole saying this but most smart girls are not very attractive so its even harder. But yeah intelligence should important right up there with personality and looks.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:39 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
I am a lucky bastard. My wife is brilliant and beautiful. I STILL dont know how I pulled it off, we have been married 11 years now.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I think intelligence and ambition is very important. It has nothing to do with formal education, but more to do with having knowledge. My wife and I get along great and I spent about 7 years in college and grad school. She has her Associates.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:26 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 1killercls
I am a lucky bastard. My wife is brilliant and beautiful. I STILL dont know how I pulled it off, we have been married 11 years now.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:08 PM
ur as welcome as cancer

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs

Maybe you should spend your time looking at pictures of YOUR wife rather than other peoples'.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe you should spend your time looking at pictures of YOUR wife rather than other peoples'.
maybe you should wash the sand out of your vag
Old 05-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Originally Posted by zeroday
maybe you should wash the sand out of your vag
Old 05-15-2008, 05:52 PM
Earth-bound misfit

Received 608 Likes on 312 Posts
Yeah, Ravi. Jeez.
Old 05-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh no you dit-ant...

Just remembered why I'm glad its mostly a sausage fest around here...
Old 05-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Team Owner

Calm down man. I was just kidding.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
Calm down man. I was just kidding.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
How is a lower level of education considered a lower level of intelligence? That's the kind of ignorance we talk about in Logic all day long. Our society is media fed and conditioned to think that someone who graduated from Harvard is smarter than someone who only has a HS diploma. Intelligence is one thing, but what you refer to as intelligence in terms of "she didn't graduate college" is talking about knowledge. There's people out there who are much smarter than most of the guys on this forum and I know there's some intelligent guys on here. Knowledge ("education") isn't intelligence...

Sorry for the rant. But to the OP, I feel ya. I'm sick of bitches yapping about blazing and "Oh my god on friday i got so wasted." Not looking for the love of my life but damn...are girls getting dumber or are the smarter ones hiding?

I have a Masters and my wife graduated from a trade school. But, she is gifted in ways I am not, and visa versa. She has a high "emotional intelligence" - if you're familiar with the phrase. She's amazing with people. Knows their feelings, knows if something is bothering someone, knows how to cheer them up. And she has tons of common sense. We don't sit around talking about engineering, but after 10 hours of it I'd just assume talk about Grey's Anatomy.

Question isn't about matching IQ's - it's about common ground, where ever that ground is.

So since I haven't dated in 20 years, I can't give you much advice. Nothing against clubs or women who go there, but I just have to believe your odds of finding what you are looking for are low in that environment.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:00 AM
In the Mid-South meow

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,084 Posts
I knew I had to ask my fiancee to marry me when it dawned on me she was the first girlfriend I had where I didn't worry about her saying something foolish while conversing with friends or family. I guess the fact she has a doctorate doens't hurt, either. Even though she has 4+ more years of education than I do, she's in the medical field and I'm in the arts, we are on the same page conversationally. She has her quorks as do I, but at the end of the day I know she gets it. We tend to finish each others sentences and say exactly what the other person is thinking. I've experienced the dumb but hot girlfriend before and it boiled down to being in lust, not in love, with them. I never really believed in love being blind until I felt as much in love with my fiancee's brain as I was with her looks.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:20 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Originally Posted by SuperTrooper169
I never really believed in love being blind until I felt as much in love with my fiancee's brain as I was with her looks.
The brain is one sexy mother-shut-your-mouth! The body may get you in the door, but the brain will keep you! How's that for intelligence?
Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Sorry for the rant. But to the OP, I feel ya. I'm sick of bitches yapping about blazing and "Oh my god on friday i got so wasted." Not looking for the love of my life but damn...are girls getting dumber or are the smarter ones hiding?

I have to say...I spent 4 years in university and I wouldn't do it again...tech school is the way to go all the way...at least for what I was studying
Old 05-23-2008, 06:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Its important to me. I hate not being on the same page with someone; it's such a turn off. If I can't have an intellectual conversation with someone without them having no idea what I'm talking about, blowing me off all the damn time or talking about some stupid TV show, I just won't talk at all. Having a college degree per say is not important as I have known some complete dumb asses that have degrees.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:22 AM
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
Its important to me. I hate not being on the same page with someone; it's such a turn off. If I can't have an intellectual conversation with someone without them having no idea what I'm talking about, blowing me off all the damn time or talking about some stupid TV show, I just won't talk at all. Having a college degree per say is not important as I have known some complete dumb asses that have degrees.
How is it for you in Lawrenceville then? Just curious as far as dating goes, I don't make it to that side of town much.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by WdnUlik2no
...and some of the smartest people I've met were High School graduates.

I think it depends a lot on how you define yourself or what you are strongly drawn to. Some people define themselves by what they do - "I'm a doctor, or an engineer". Some by their hobbies - "I'm into cars, or I knit". For those people, finding someone where that's the common ground would be very important. For me, I define myself more as a husband and father. So I could care less if my wife can speak engineering - our common ground is in other areas where we share common interestes (family, etc.). I don't think intellect is an issue unless you just happened to be wired in a way where that's the place you'd seek common ground. It's not a bad thing, but it's good to know.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by 1Louder

I have a Masters and my wife graduated from a trade school. But, she is gifted in ways I am not, and visa versa. She has a high "emotional intelligence" - if you're familiar with the phrase. She's amazing with people. Knows their feelings, knows if something is bothering someone, knows how to cheer them up. And she has tons of common sense. We don't sit around talking about engineering, but after 10 hours of it I'd just assume talk about Grey's Anatomy.

Question isn't about matching IQ's - it's about common ground, where ever that ground is.

So since I haven't dated in 20 years, I can't give you much advice. Nothing against clubs or women who go there, but I just have to believe your odds of finding what you are looking for are low in that environment.
I know, I know....you engineers aren't big on the grammar.

I'd just as soon talk....
Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by anx1300c
I'd just as soon talk....
Rats. Back to huked on foniks for me. So much for that Masters....
Old 05-28-2008, 12:06 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Easy on the eyes, can hold a conversation, understands what's going on in the world, there are a few more things you can ask for in a woman. Sane too? Shoot, it's a gold mine.

I want it all. Intelligence ranks high and is extremely important, I wouldn't use them not graduating college as a deal breaker though.
Old 05-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
For me, it was a must. Fortunately my g/f has the general idea of what I'm talking about 99% of the time. She is very intelligent and relatively street smart.

Previous g/f's didnt appreciate my past or have a clue about the world.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Thread revival.

Struggling with this a bit right now...

I grew up in a household with two teachers (middle school science, college science) where education was a daily part of life. Book smarts, expectation of 'honors classes' daily learning about the world around us, watching the news, reading books, exploring, etc...

Other half did not have the advantage of this kind of upbringing. TV was a babysitter, everyone gets a trophy, learn stuff for a test and forget it, etc... It's not that she is not intelligent and creative, just that I am a decade older and had a very intellectual upbringing (read: nerd).

She sometimes gets pretty upset when we have conversations and she says "I didn't understand half of what you said", or when I read an article about some world event and can discuss it, but she reads it and does not entirely understand the issues.

I am concerned about this going forward since she seems to be worried about it ("I am not smart enough for you")...

She has a tough time learning new stuff because she was never taught HOW to learn, HOW to read critically, etc... I try to gently show her alternative ways of thinking about things she encounters, try to encourage her to reason things to their logical conclusions, etc. but it is a bit frustrating for both of us. Me because it's tough to understand how someone could not "get it" when I get it, for her because she was taught to try twice and then give up and someone will rescue her...

Anyone else had a similar situation? Looking for good ways to be constructive.
Old 11-26-2013, 04:17 AM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
still married!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:11 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
Stogs, that sucks especially because if I remember your other thread in here...yea, that blows. Not to be rude but I think that is the biggest problem with dating someone that has a decent age gap. Yes, it can be done but it is getting harder and harder with all the technology younger people have.

She is in a different generation and while my upbringing was like yours, MANY I know did not have this luxury. I dated low 20s in the last few years and wanted to kill myself when it came to anything but sex. I don't think there is a good answer and it seems this is going to continue to bother you.

Only thing I can suggest, which I'm sure you are trying to get her to do, is possibly do fun, educational-ish trips like museums, arts galleries, and as gay as it sounds maybe read the paper over coffee in the morning. I know my gf was like yours and have found if I bring her the paper (hers is on the iPad ) and some coffee in bed, we read together. Now, I will say she loves to read but mostly trashy stuff. I watch squawk box while getting ready and she doesn't understand why I care what is going on but is getting better.

Good luck man!
The following users liked this post:
stogie1020 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Stogie - I don't know that I have a magic solution, but I have a few thoughts about the situation you described.

I would be very careful about any attempt to change who she is when it comes to complicated topics like academic habits, deep emotional issues, etc. I think coaching her to "become more academic" is a mistake, however well intended. If she wants to better herself, that's great but it has to come from her - because she wants to. If she feels pressure to become more academic because she feels that's what you want, then that becomes an unspoken condition to your relationship. In her mind, she'll think "I need to be more intellectual or he'll leave me". And you will forever be having the "I"m not smart enough for you" discussion. It's an unhealthy means to a noble end.

My 2 cents would be to reconcile yourself to who she is when it comes to intellectual conversation. Maybe you'd prefer better but it doesn't sound like that's who you have. And that particuar issue is difficult to change without making her feel guilty or resentful. However, it is possible to push her now and again to stimulate some thinking, but I would be very careful to stop short of the point where she might get resentful.

Second suggestion is if you really want to have those conversations, I would figure out a way to meet regularly with some friends that challenge you. I have some friends I meet with every other week - it's a standing time and place. Same coffee shop. I usually can get through topics with them that would bore my wife to tears. I think the important thing here is to find yourself another outlet, so all the pressure isn't on your significant other.
The following 3 users liked this post by 1Louder:
#1 STUNNA (11-30-2013), 1StGenCL (11-26-2013), stogie1020 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:34 AM

Received 322 Likes on 182 Posts
Stogie it's going to be REALLY hard to help her raise her intelligence at this point in her life. Not knowing how old she is, I'm sure she is old enough where improvements would be very little.

I wouldn't say my wife is unintelligent, and I hate to use this word but she is not "street smart". She was brought up with VERY strict parents that did everything for her and would not let her listen to the radio, watch much TV, and hang out with friends. So because of this, she doesn't get a lot of the "street stuff". She's sometimes awkward, can't make decisions quickly on her feet, can't operate many of the appliance at home (washer/dryer, vacuum, stove), sometimes awkward socially, etc. I think the closest description I would give her would be she is your stereotypical "blonde".

I can't teach her to be more street smart and sometimes I get frustrated. I know it's probably not the same situation as yours but it's probably the same frustration. So I just slowly take over for her. I do a lot of the house work, show her the ropes slowly, point out what she is doing awkward socially, how to wash the dish without leaving grease behind, all that stuff. I slowly understood that it was her parent's fault for always doing things for her and restricting her of everything. So I just accept it and as a man, took care of her but at the same time slowly teaching her to be independent. Yes sometimes we have arguments about her obliviousness but it's something that is getting better each day.

You can't flip someone around in under a month. It's been years and my wife is still improving. She still awkwardly operate the vacuum but what an improvement from when I first met her!
The following 4 users liked this post by mdkxtreme:
#1 STUNNA (11-30-2013), 97BlackAckCL (11-26-2013), sasha (11-30-2013), stogie1020 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
I've dated dumb girls before Stogs, it happens. It can be frustrating when you're not on the same intellectual level. It is good that you are trying to help her learn and expand her mind, but I'm not sure how much luck you'll have. I wish you luck sir
stogie1020 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 09:57 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,231 Likes on 821 Posts
Dude, you know the rules..... We need the hotness to smartness ratio...
97BlackAckCL (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
...I am concerned about this going forward since she seems to be worried about it ("I am not smart enough for you")...

Anyone else had a similar situation? Looking for good ways to be constructive.
Does her knowledge complement yours, i.e. does she understand and discuss things that you know less about? Does she have her own interests and hobbies? Does she have common sense and social skills?

If the answers are "yes" to all of the above, you shouldn't be concerned. Couples do not need to have similar intellectual interests or capacities to make a good couple.

If the answers are "no" to all of the above, !

If the answers are mixed, I will need pics to give a better opinion.
The following 2 users liked this post by Will Y.:
#1 STUNNA (11-30-2013), stogie1020 (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
Old 11-26-2013, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
All I ever hear outta them is "Hmmmmerrrrr, uck, cough, spit."
97BlackAckCL (11-27-2013)

Quick Reply: Intelligence