Dating & Relationships Love sucks. Now you can cry about it…

Is Age Really Just a Number?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:51 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Originally Posted by sixsixfour
pics of the cougar?
Old 09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
I'm just sick of people, especially family members, saying how shes TOO young for me, when in reality it isn't that big of a gap, to me at least. My next door neighbors, the husband is 48 and the wife is 35. Nobody says anything because they are happy together and are pretty well off. I just can't understand why people make 3 years sound terrible but don't give two shits about 13 years
So when people say she's too young, ask them why they think that. See if they have anything more to say than "she's 17". If you force them to think about it, they might find they don't really have a good reason.

3 years at your age is actually a bigger deal just because of the rapid changes and growth going on. Even if she's a mature 17, you both will be changing a lot in the next 3-5 years. I think if you both recognize that fact and deal with it, you'll be fine. I met my wife at 20 and she was 18. But, we grew together as we were sharing a similar life experience.

Anyway, your ages are going to get questions for a while for two reasons: one is from people who are older and recognize you two are in that stage of your life when things can change - they know if you don't change together you'll grow apart. Second are those that think all 17 year olds are immature. You should expect it, so don't let it frustrate you. Your relationship is between you and her.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 AM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
She satisfies the half plus seven rule so it shouldn't be an issue

I'm kidding! Seriously though, I think people give you a hard time because she's a minor. If she was 18, they probably wouldn't say anything. She sounds like a nice gal, and it sounds like the two of you get along well and have some similar interests as well as a long time friendship. The foundation is strong so the potential is there to build a long lasting relationship. Like many others have said, the number doesn't mean much. Its the level of maturity that matters. When I was 22 I dated a 19 year old. She was one of the most self centered and immature people I have ever met. The relationship ended with me telling her that I knew she was cheating on me and that she needed to learn how to treat people (she was very abusive, verbally, mentally and physically.) Sadly that didn't seem to bother her that much. What did bother her was that I also told her I had found somebody else who was hotter than her. That should tell you something.

But the other girl (who I had only just met and was just talking to when I saw her around work) was the same age. She was polar opposite. We treated each other very well, and we talked and talked and talked into the wee hours of the night every night.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, as long as you're compatible and willing to work through her being in college and not having time for you and vice versa, you'll be alright.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:28 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by sho_nuff1997
Like other's have said, it's the "teen" stigma that makes it seem weird. Once you get older it doesn't matter. I'm almost 32, and my g/f just turned 26. If we were dating when I was 20, that would not have been cool.
I'm the exact other way around - g/f is 32 I just turned 26
Old 09-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Nom Nom Nom Nom

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
If you are happy, who cares what everyone thinks.

I think the biggest problem that you are going to run into (may or may not apply because I do not know you or nothing about you) will be when you turn 21 and she is 18. You may want to go out to the bars or whatever and she will not be able to go, which will put strain on your relationship. When you two go out, you will be subject to (what I call) pg-13 nights. Which you may be ok with, again. I do not know you.

If you are not the type to go out to the bars with your buddies, or whatever. Then you have nothing to worry about. As long as your both are happy, who cares.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:35 PM
fap fap fap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i dont see anything wrong with it. only problem you have is that dumb and dumber haircut but as long as she's cool with it
Old 09-17-2009, 02:50 PM
I'm Down Right Fierce!

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
3 years is not a big age difference... I think people are just more fixated on the fact that she's underage...
Old 09-17-2009, 02:59 PM
*WFC #162*

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Infamous425
i dont see anything wrong with it. only problem you have is that dumb and dumber haircut but as long as she's cool with it
Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM

Received 9,493 Likes on 6,165 Posts
Thanks for the comments everybody, except about that one saying I look like a creeper and also my haircut haha. Hopefully those were supposed to be in red text

It sounds like I'm not the only one in a relationship that has a age difference of a few years. I'm not really the go out and get hammered type, so I don't see jealously or anything like that being an issue. And when I turn 21, she can always come to the bar with me, she just has to get a water or something else haha We both know that we can't be around each other 24/7, so we go out with our friends whenever we want, we just tell each other when and with who. It may sound weird, but we have a very open relationship and have nothing to hide.

And her and I are going through a lot right now anyways, despite our age. I'm struggling to make ends meet for bills and school is kicking my ass. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to major in and getting in the right classes to get that done. She's trying to get into a good school so she's devoting a lot of her time to studying and activities after school such as student council and such. I know that we both have a lot coming at us in the years ahead, but we are happy nonetheless and like having somebody there for each other when we need them.

And people never realize that I actually thought about the age difference before I asked her out. It was a big issue for me at the time, but I looked past it and looked at the person. We make each other really happy and have a blast at the same time, so I put the age difference behind me.

Do I sometimes wish she was older so it wouldn't be an issue? Of course. But would I get rid of her for another older girl? No way in hell
Old 09-18-2009, 08:58 AM
wat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like you care too much what other people think.

Life's too short to spend time worrying about other peoples' opinions. If you're happy, that's all the answer you should need.

P.S. My boyfriend is almost 3 years younger than me, too.

Last edited by bugeye; 09-18-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:07 AM
Team Owner

Thanks for the comments everybody, except about that one saying I look like a creeper and also my haircut haha. Hopefully those were supposed to be in red text

It sounds like I'm not the only one in a relationship that has a age difference of a few years. I'm not really the go out and get hammered type, so I don't see jealously or anything like that being an issue. And when I turn 21, she can always come to the bar with me, she just has to get a water or something else haha We both know that we can't be around each other 24/7, so we go out with our friends whenever we want, we just tell each other when and with who. It may sound weird, but we have a very open relationship and have nothing to hide.

And her and I are going through a lot right now anyways, despite our age. I'm struggling to make ends meet for bills and school is kicking my ass. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to major in and getting in the right classes to get that done. She's trying to get into a good school so she's devoting a lot of her time to studying and activities after school such as student council and such. I know that we both have a lot coming at us in the years ahead, but we are happy nonetheless and like having somebody there for each other when we need them.

And people never realize that I actually thought about the age difference before I asked her out. It was a big issue for me at the time, but I looked past it and looked at the person. We make each other really happy and have a blast at the same time, so I put the age difference behind me.

Do I sometimes wish she was older so it wouldn't be an issue? Of course. But would I get rid of her for another older girl? No way in hell
My head hurts from all the thinking YOU are doing on this.

My wife is older than I am. And I have dated women that were younger than I am. Age is just a number. What matters is how compatible and how mature you both are. If I stopped and thought about the fact that my wife is 7 years older and when I turn 40, she would be 47 or other crap like that, I would have missed out on the BEST thing that ever happened to me.

You are over analyzing this. And trust me when I say, it's not worth over analyzing. Just enjoy the relationship. You also need to stop listening to people that give you shit about it.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 AM

^Yall are right. I do think too much about it. It's just that sadly I've lost quite a few friends over the last year or so because of the relationship. I guess they really weren't friends if they stopped talking to me just because of it
Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bugeye
P.S. My boyfriend is almost 3 years younger than me, too.
It's diff. when older girls date younger guys.

They just do that to prove that they "still got it" and can pull young-tail...more of an ego boost than anything else...

I kid...I kid....
Old 09-18-2009, 09:43 AM

^
Old 09-18-2009, 11:46 AM
wat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RMATIC09
It's diff. when older girls date younger guys.

They just do that to prove that they "still got it" and can pull young-tail...more of an ego boost than anything else...

I kid...I kid....
Give me some credit, I'm not that shallow....

I'm with him cause he has a huge penis and is great in the sack, obviously.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
my best friend from HS is dating a girl 9 yrs younger than him... look at my age and do the math... at first i was like dood wtf is wrong with you... then i realized that he hasn't really grown up and i have met her... she totally doesn't look or act her age...

i personally go for the older women though...
Old 09-18-2009, 01:28 PM
Old Man Yelling at Clouds

Received 7,362 Likes on 3,906 Posts
^Yall are right. I do think too much about it. It's just that sadly I've lost quite a few friends over the last year or so because of the relationship. I guess they really weren't friends if they stopped talking to me just because of it
My bet is they were bent over the fact you were spending time with her and not them, not her age. It's not like she was preventing you from all going out to a bar or something. But you are right - they are not friends worth keeping if that's how they felt. In fact, any good friend should be happy that you are happy.

I'm with Raven - less thinking, more enjoying. Any issue someone has with her age will go away next year when you both are in college. No one bats an eye over two college kids dating.

Good luck with your studies - hey, start a new thread on your career decisons and we'll give you a bunch of useless advice. :wink:.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:37 PM

Actually I was doing really well on balancing time with my friends and time with my girlfriend. All of a sudden, about a month after we got together, they would never return texts or calls. When I ended up talking to them again, they would have a lame excuse like "Oh umm my fault, I had to help my mom with something" or something along those lines. Pretty much pure bullshit. They stopped putting forth effort to hang out, even when I contacted them first, so I stopped as well.

I'm not one to brag about what I have or anything like that. A lot of them have had relationship problems in the past and I guess they are jealous? I honestly don't know.

And as for the career advice, I really need to get my basic classes out of the way for now and then I'll ask for everybody's opinion afterwards
Old 09-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 667 Likes on 389 Posts
Originally Posted by BoBByLiGhT83
Shit Tyler 3 years is nothing... The girl I dated for 4 yrs was 15 when we started dating.. I was 20. I turned 21 before she was 16. Her family was totally cool with it because I'm not a retard. But when she got into college she went through the whole "Miss Independent" thing. So 4 years down the drain because she wanted feel like she could do what or who she wanted when she wanted to.. With the exception of her always getting you "Sick" when we have car meets. Your girl is cool as shit. None of my girls whould come to car shows/meets with me. Just get that leash a little looser and you'll be fine.. LoL.. I kid, I kid
thats just gross.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:40 AM
*WFC #162*

So if i was say 25 and she was 20 it wouldn't be a prob. but because she was 16 and I was 21 it's "gross"
Old 09-19-2009, 11:16 AM
Suzuka Master

So if i was say 25 and she was 20 it wouldn't be a prob. but because she was 16 and I was 21 it's "gross"
Originally Posted by Gnate
I'm sorry but a 20yr old dating a 15 year old is pathetic. No matter what angle you view it from.
i couldnt agree more. borderline perv status. like i said just my
Old 09-19-2009, 11:41 AM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, because the mental development varies so greatly between a 20 year old and a 16 year old. Also between a 25 year old and a 20 year old, but that's not as bad because at least she's not still a teen.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:12 PM
Team Owner

Yes....it will be acceptable if you were 25 and she was 20. Not if you were 21 and she was 16. A 16 year old is still a girl dude. Any which way you slice it....she is still a girl. A 20 year old may not be extremely mature, but she is adult enough.

And one scenario is also not legal in most states.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't think Bobby gets it.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:12 PM

I think all relationships are a "trial and error" type thing. Not everybody is going to agree with your choices, but as long as you are happy, that's all that matters. And by choices I mean, age, looks, personality, etc.

I've learned to realize that in my relationship and since I first posted this thread.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:03 PM
Race Director

Shit Tyler 3 years is nothing... The girl I dated for 4 yrs was 15 when we started dating.. I was 20. I turned 21 before she was 16.
21 and 16?

While I'll never turn down an 18 y/o smash -

that's just CREEPY.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:20 AM
*WFC #162*

21 and 16?

While I'll never turn down an 18 y/o smash -

that's just CREEPY.
Anywhere did I say I ever slept with her?? Nope. We dated for 4 years. Never once did we have sex. It was a friendship that turned into a relationship. Even though it seems kind of weird that I was 21 and she was 16, It was the best relationship I ever was in. She was more mature than any other girl I had ever met regardless of her age. That's the point I was trying to get across to him.
Old 09-20-2009, 04:57 AM
These colors don't run

just like the very first guy said..

When you do get older age doesn't matter that much. I've seen my ex when she was 21 go after a 35-40 year old, I thought that was a little odd myself but nothing you can do.

Young age like 17-20 ish is when the numbers seem like they should be close like a year or so, but as long as you are happy that is what matter. You've known each other for a very long time so I'm shocked that your parents give you crap about it, it's not like you randomly met her or something recently
Old 09-20-2009, 08:48 AM

Anywhere did I say I ever slept with her?? Nope. We dated for 4 years. Never once did we have sex. It was a friendship that turned into a relationship. Even though it seems kind of weird that I was 21 and she was 16, It was the best relationship I ever was in. She was more mature than any other girl I had ever met regardless of her age. That's the point I was trying to get across to him.

Originally Posted by FreedomEagle50
just like the very first guy said..

When you do get older age doesn't matter that much. I've seen my ex when she was 21 go after a 35-40 year old, I thought that was a little odd myself but nothing you can do.

Young age like 17-20 ish is when the numbers seem like they should be close like a year or so, but as long as you are happy that is what matter. You've known each other for a very long time so I'm shocked that your parents give you crap about it, it's not like you randomly met her or something recently
Thanks man. It's not so much my parents, it's other family members such as my aunt and uncle. My parents didn't really care because my parents have known her parents for a while just because we started bowling at the same place and in the same league. While us kids were bowling, the parents would sit behind and watch and talk amongst themselves. I think her parents wouldn't be too open to their daughter having an older boyfriend if they hadn't known me and my family for so long. But it's awesome having everybody getting along; we all get together about once a month and go get dinner or something.
Old 09-20-2009, 09:04 AM
Suzuka Master

sex or not thats still creepy.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Under construction

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts
Bobbylight83, you are getting beat up in here lol people leave it alone damn. I'm sure everyone in here had some creepy moments in their lives. He gets the point already lol
Old 09-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Pro

take no offense. i read the tittle, saw the pic n thought she was older. lol
Old 09-20-2009, 04:54 PM
*WFC #162*

Originally Posted by alexSU
Bobbylight83, you are getting beat up in here lol people leave it alone damn. I'm sure everyone in here had some creepy moments in their lives. He gets the point already lol
I can expect so much from people on the "in-tra-net".
Old 09-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Race Director

Yea- damn people on the internet thinking it's weird for a 21 year old to date a girl barely out of middle school!

silly internet
Old 09-20-2009, 06:14 PM
*WFC #162*

Yea- damn people on the internet thinking it's weird for a 21 year old to date a girl barely out of middle school!

silly internet
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't my thread is it. I'm not the one asking for advice. Instead of everyone being a wise ass and trying to criticize something that I said or did, give YOUR opinion on CltotheTL32's dilemma. And last time a I checked a Junior in high school isn't barely out of middle school. K thanks
Old 09-20-2009, 06:47 PM

Get em Bobby
Old 09-20-2009, 06:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by alexSU
yea i guess your right we all have had our chris hansen moments.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't my thread is it. I'm not the one asking for advice. Instead of everyone being a wise ass and trying to criticize something that I said or did, give YOUR opinion on CltotheTL32's dilemma. And last time a I checked a Junior in high school isn't barely out of middle school. K thanks
to the OP, your 20 shes 17 that situation is ok dont worry about your family. to the other guy it doesnt matter if she was a junior or not she was 15!
Old 09-20-2009, 07:02 PM

^Thanks, my girlfriend and I are extremely happy together right now and I hope it continues into the future.

And for the ones talking about Bobby's previous relationship, just let it go. I know everybody wants to throw in their two cents, but it's starting to get out of hand. I'm sure most guys here will admit to hooking up with a younger or more unattractive girl on more than one occasion. Life is about learning experiences; that situation was one of his
Old 09-20-2009, 11:38 PM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I think you already got some good feedback, so let the wars begin!!!

jk.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:22 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: Is Age Really Just a Number?