Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Sony: PS3 News and Discussion Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 12:57 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
The "hard to develop for" point is what I've been saying all along.

Just like with the PS2, the first several years of games are going to pose major hurdles for developers.

Anything you read saying the PS3 is "easy to develop for" is misleading you. The journalist has probably been paid off... or you're reading a Sony press release.

Like with the PS2, the first several generations of games for PS3 will be horrid in comparison to versions to come.

This is good and bad.

In one case, I think many will find the first generation games to be lack luster. Yes, they will have fanciful graphics and sound. However AI, load times, and environments will suffer. Maybe even lag behind current or at least soon-to-come 360 games. This could stunt short-term adoption of the PS3.

However, like with the PS2, this deficiency could also prove to be the PS3's greatest strength. The PS3 will have longevity far beyond that of the 360. Users will continually be wowed by next generation games. To this day, new PS2 games continually impress... whereas if you were to pick up a generation 1 PS2 game you'd baulk at its relative simplicity.

In other words, the 360 will reach it's climax well before the PS3. This could prove as significant advantage for the PS3 as it was for the PS2.

Then again, Microsoft may well have accounted for this. Microsoft did not shoot their entire wad with the 360. By most accounts, the 360 is Microsofts "interim" platform. They do not have, nor did they want, a long-term strategy for the 360, no, their long-term strategy is with the XBOX... who's platform extends beyond the 360.

By the time 2nd generation PS3 games begin to roll... Microsoft will have announced their next generation XBOX. By the time 3rd generation, and what I'd call "mature", PS3 games begin to roll... you will own Microsoft's next generation platform.

What I'm saying is, the 360 is not supposed to compete with the PS3. Microsoft never intended it to.

The 360 was Microsofts simple solution to maintain the inertia of the intial XBOX while releasing a "next generation" console BEFORE Sony. Sony need's the PS3 to last for at least half a decade... maybe more. Microsoft's 360 was designed to be replaced within 3 years.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:58 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by cmark
PS3 will have such a huge following no matter what they do. i don't see them having a problem maintaining a strangle hold on the video game market.
They already have a problem. I think it's safe to say that Playstation lost it's "stranglehold" with the original Xbox.

Sure, Playstation is the market leader, but they're now three generations in. Microsoft is just getting started and look at the impact they've made.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:05 PM
The Creator

Originally Posted by bigman
It will take more than the 360 to dethrone sony, even if the PS3 does suck. Just look at how many Japanese gamers are holding out for the PS3. As long as the PS3 plays DVD's and Blu Ray it's all good. It has something to fall back on in case the whole Blu Ray thing indeed does become the systems heel.
It's not the 360 that will dethrone Sony, it's Sony that's dethroning Sony.

5 years ago, Sony was on top of their game. However, Sony's poor moves throughout the 90's and into the 21st century are catching up with them.

They've spent countless dollars on failed formats, lost a ton of opportunities with isolationist practices, they're struggling to maintain a hold on the consumer television market which was once dominated entirely by Sony but is now a money loser for them.

Sony's era is coming to an end. They're betting on the PS3 and Blu-Ray devices to be their savior, if there is even a hiccup in sales, Sony could fall flat on their face.

Microsoft, on the other hand, does not need XBOX. It's a pet project. While Sony is defending itself from all sides, Microsoft is nipping at it's bread-and-butter and Samsung and others have already stolen Sony's old stand-bys.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:07 PM
The Creator

What I'm saying is...

PS3 vs 360, it's a battle that the PS3 may still win. However, Sony vs Microsoft is a war that looks to be a losing proposition over the next 5 years for Sony.

PS3 will have one more battle to fight against Microsoft, the 360 is just a small island battle before war reaches mainland.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by soopa
In other words, the 360 will reach it's climax well before the PS3. This could prove as significant advantage for the PS3 as it was for the PS2.
hmm so XBOX 360 could have an issue of climaxing too quickly...
Old 02-14-2006, 05:24 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by savage
hmm so XBOX 360 could have an issue of climaxing too quickly...
true look at how long xbox 1 was around for, not nearly as long as the PS2

and werd to the whole 1gen PS2 games looking worse than the lastest PS2 games, look at GT3 compared to GT4, pretty big difference if you ask me.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Soopa: While I pretty much agree on most of your points, MS has been pretty adamant that the 360 is their long-term platform and I have to tend to agree. Will it be out in the market as long as the PS3, I highly doubt it, but I do feel it has longer legs than the original Xbox.

Both the 360 and PS3 are difficult to program for (the PS3 being worse of the two) with their In Order processors, multiple cores and multiple threads per core. Both systems have similar GPU's from the PC space, so that component won't be that difficult to utilize effectively. I expect to see third and fourth generation games on each platform look great. Even if the Cell processor is fully utilized, it will mainly affect physics and AI, not the image on the screen as the GPU's which render the image are essentially the same in either platform.

MS abandoned the Xbox because they did not own the rights to any of the hardware. Even today, they are still losing money on each Xbox sold as they negotiated terrible agreements with NVidia and Intel. This is why the 360 uses ATI and IBM as they had to go into arbitration with both NV and Intel due to issues with their price.

This time, MS owns patents to all of the hardware in the 360 (ATI and IBM just designed the GPU & CPU for MS - MS produces each) so MS will see the cost benefit of die reductions in the future.

Basically my point is that the 360 is more future proof as it was designed that way from the start. The original Xbox was an experiment where the 360 is a evolution of that initial step.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 PM
The Creator

Pretty much agree on all points, like I said, graphics will be "wowza" on the first PS3's and, likely, will never drastically improve. However, AI/physics/environments/etc will be very poor in the first generation of games.

The 360 may be a long-term "platform", however, I am confident there will be another iteration of the Xbox in short order. It may be a "360 2" for all I know, or a "720" , but there will be another Xbox early in the life of the PS3. I'd bet on it.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by soopa
Pretty much agree on all points, like I said, graphics will be "wowza" on the first PS3's and, likely, will never drastically improve. However, AI/physics/environments/etc will be very poor in the first generation of games.

The 360 may be a long-term "platform", however, I am confident there will be another iteration of the Xbox in short order. It may be a "360 2" for all I know, or a "720" , but there will be another Xbox early in the life of the PS3. I'd bet on it.
I completely agree. I just think the reasoning for abandoning the Xbox so quickly were mainly financial (they lost $4 Billion on the original Xbox alone mainly due to hardware losses).

Gates has already said there will be a next Xbox after the 360, so I agree that there definitely will be a new one before the PS4 comes around, but I think the 360 will last longer than the original Xbox.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Engineer

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts
dont be suprised if a slightly redesigned PS3 comes out about 1.5 to 2 years after, 1 to boost sales and 2 to move to a faster blu-ray if they 2x causes too many loading issues...cost should be down for faster versions of blu-ray...
Old 02-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
The success highly depends on which game developers release for which console.

I know I'd never give up my PS2 for an XBOX because there are no good RPG's for XBOX, and I had a PS1 whose games I can still play with my PS2.

If the same two conditions hold true for the XBOX 360 and PS3, Microsoft can forget about me buying the 360. But then again, I'm only one person, and I lot more people like the action games that seem to be prevalent on other consoles.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:03 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 9,953 Likes on 5,135 Posts
Originally Posted by savage
dont be suprised if a slightly redesigned PS3 comes out about 1.5 to 2 years after, 1 to boost sales and 2 to move to a faster blu-ray if they 2x causes too many loading issues...cost should be down for faster versions of blu-ray...
I've read some reports that they may even have 2 versions at launch... one w/ Blu-Ray and one without...
Old 02-15-2006, 10:55 AM
The Creator

Originally Posted by srika
I've read some reports that they may even have 2 versions at launch... one w/ Blu-Ray and one without...
Yeah, , because it would be reeaalllll surprising for Sony to have realized that Microsoft trumped them by being smart enough to make multiple versions of the Xbox and the ability to add HD-DVD when it's ready.

Microsoft was smart, doing this gives them an advantage.

Sony, however, is fucked either way.

If they offer only a blu-ray version... they have to increase price... reduce their competitiveness... and cut into their profit margins.

If they offer both... they limit the reach of Blu-Ray... and perhaps put the nail in their formats coffin. The PS3 was a major reason for Blu-Ray support from movie studios. It was widely assumed that the 100 million Blu-Ray capable PlayStations sitting in peoples homes would be the catalyst for high definition movie adoption, and that - naturally - blu-ray would be the choice for consumers because they would already have the player.

If Sony offers both, they increase the PlayStations competitivness with Xbox, but they will probably reduce the amount of Blu-Ray devices sold by 70-90%. This would cripple Blu-Ray's chances of being the SOLE HD-DVD format long-term.

Microsoft, with their external (and probably cheap) HD-DVD player will only help increase HD-DVD adoption.

Microsoft has pinned Sony into a corner. It's funny to see them looking for a way out.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:00 PM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
yea but i dont like the way that microsoft is doing it with an external drive, id prefer it to be integrated into the unit so you dont have big hunk hanging on top or off ot the side, makes it look

anyway for the PS3 id get the blu-ray version
Old 02-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Senior Moderator

yeah, Sony is doomed. unless they hit a homerun with PS3 - if they don't, it might be time to throw in the towel..
Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 PM
Senior Moderator

honestly these days I take all PS3 news w/ a grain of salt, but anyway... fwiw.. BUT for some reason this news seems like it might hold some amount of credibility, for some reason.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=2270&Itemid=2

Updated: Wednesday, 15 February 2006

Exclusive: PS3 HUB; September Launch

By Colin Campbell

Next Generation can reveal that Sony is planning to launch an online games service, largely modelled on Xbox Live, currently called PlayStation HUB. We also understand Sony is aiming for a September launch for PlayStation 3 in Japan and North America.

Image According to well-placed industry sources, PlayStation HUB will offer PlayStation 3 owners much the same services as Xbox Live, including chat, downloadable demos, independent games and online play. The service is also designed to support PSP online play as well as PS3. It's a departure from PlayStation 2's online strategy, widely regarded as vastly inferior to Microsoft's.

PlayStation HUB is being described to developers as a 'subscriber service' suggesting a monthly charge. We understand the service is being created by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, although this is unconfirmed.

Sony boss Howard Stringer is pushing for all media content to be available for distribution over PlayStation HUB, such as music and movies, thus opening up a powerful iTunes-like distribution network for Sony.

September launch

Developer sources are also suggesting that PlayStation 3 is currently scheduled to launch in September. A launch games release schedule seen by our sources states a September launch. Although the schedule does not explicitly state a hardware launch date, nor a launch territory, we understand Japan and U.S will both see the machine in September.

Some in the industry have taken this as a lead to speculate that September 16 would be a launch date in Japan (a Saturday before a national holiday) followed by September 21 in the U.S. These dates are not confirmed and, as always, launch dates are subject to constant revision.

A spokesperson for SCEA said the company does not comment on rumors. However, we understand Sony is preparing to announce HUB some time in the next few weeks.
Old 02-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Senior Moderator

it says "Official", that still doesn't mean anything concrete, imo....

http://www.totalvideogames.com/news/..._9311_0_17.htm

PlayStation3 HDD To be Sold Separately - Official

Sony's global website confirms that the flip-flopping hard drive will be sold separately...

Posted: 16:36 on 14 Feb 2006
By: Jon Wilcox

The issue of whether the PlayStation3 will or will not come with a hard drive as standard has been flip-flopping ever since the console was unveiled at E3 2005. Since then reports that the storage device will be sold separately have been appearing both online and printed press, but official confirmation either way has not been made by Sony.

However, delving into the PlayStation global website and taking a look at the products list has revealed that the next-gen console will arrive sans-HDD, requiring gamers to purchase one separately instead.

It has to be said that the site (which is still copyright dated 2005) could have been displaying the detail for nearly twelve months, but the news comes better late than never.
Old 02-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

hahaha... I'm so surprised.

Honestly it's just about pointless posting PS3 news that isn't officially from Sony. And even then, it might be pointless.

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?op...=2281&Itemid=2

Updated: Thursday, 16 February 2006

Sony: Still No Launch Decision

A senior Sony exec says the company has still not decided when to launch PlayStation 3.

Image Tetsuhiko Yasuda, managing director of Sony Computer Entertainment Asia says the company "wants to be completely prepared" before launching the machine. He said the firm is concerned about piracy. Yasuda said. "Our primary competition is not other companies but counterfeiters. We want to work with governments to stop this."

Internal Sony documents, seen by Next Generation sources, are pointing towards a targeted September launch, although myriad rumors have suggested any date between May this year and March next year. Many in the industry are assuming that Sony has a date in mind, and is simply seeking the right time to make an announcement.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

and here is the highly anticipated PS3 display at the Taipei Game Show...

Old 02-17-2006, 06:42 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
The controller we used was a generic USB controller. Sony plans to change the unpopular concept design while retaining the familiar DualShock 2 layout, which all developers are working to
Glad they are gonna ditch the boomerang!!!
Old 03-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Senior Moderator

ok I'm gonna bite on this... it does sound like half-way believable news...

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/03/12/th...ions-from-opm/

Three big-picture PS3 predictions from OPM

Posted Mar 12th 2006 2:00PM by Vladimir Cole

John Davison, editorial director for Ziff Davis Media's Game Group, penned three predictions for the PlayStation 3 launch in the April edition of Official PlayStation Magazine. Here's a quick summary:

1. Launch: "November in the United States" and "it won’t be a penny more than $399.99." (Because Sony's in big trouble if it cedes two holiday seasons to the Xbox 360. Plus, Microsoft has created a strong pricing precedent with the Xbox 360.)

2. The Dualshock 3: The boomerang ain't gonna fly. It's got no room for a battery pack. The new controller will likely look a lot like the PlayStation 2 controllers.

3. The games: Only a few games will be available at launch. Most of them won't utilize the full potential of the PS3. (We'd say that none will. It's just not possible until developers have more practice creating software for the PS3.) Davison writes, "the real jaw-droppers on the system aren’t going to be shown until E3 in 2007."
Old 03-13-2006, 01:42 AM
Senior Moderator

so one of the Sony euro-bosses says the PS3 is still "on track"... PS3 is launching next week!!!!!

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=135462

Friday 10th March 2006

PS3 STILL "ON TRACK", LAUNCH PLANS NEXT WEEK?

Sony's Euro boss, David Reeves, says PS3 production is "on track" - plus, final launch plans unveiled on Wednesday?

15:23 Another day, another turn for the saga-wheel of PlayStation 3 production: while last week Sony admitted that manufacturing difficulties could hinder the console's current spring launch projection, now David Reeves, head of Sony's European operations, says that PS3 production is "on track."

Are we to read this to imply a spring launch is go for PS3? Well, that's the fans' dream but as we tip over the cusp of that season and into it proper, it's looking increasingly unlikely Sony's console will materialise prior to summer. Still, talking to trade magazine MCV, Reeves said that he wasn't worried about Sony's yet-to-be-revealed PS3 launch plans. "There are so many rumours out there but no-one really knows the facts," he said. "I know what's going to happen and I am honestly very, very confident about it."

Well, cheers for that Mr. Reeves, who went on to say in the interview that it's his job "to match day and date with the U.S launch... I am doing my very best to make that happen." Despite these words suggesting Sony is working toward a simultaneous North American and Europe launch for PS3, this isn't apparently the case. According to Sony Computer Entertainment Europe head of corporate communications, Nick Sharples, Reeves was simply stating that "it's his job and his responsibility to try and get PlayStation 3 into Europe as quickly as he possibly can. That's what he's trying to achieve ."

"It's certainly not meant to imply that there will be [simultaneous] day and date, or anything like that," Sharples added in comments given to GamesIndustry.biz. He reportedly went on to say that Sony at this stage is "definitely not" leaping aboard a simultaneous release wagon.

But the question on everyone's lips is still "When the hell are we going to get a release date, or dates, confirmed?" Current rumours suggest that it could be as early as next week when Sony divulges this eagerly anticipated PS3 info - speculation is rife that a publisher meeting on March 15 will shed more light on the PS3, including the all-important launch information.

Kiyoshi Komatsu, president of long-time PlayStation supporter Koei, said that he hopes Sony will finally break their silence at this meeting. "I've been consulted with SCE about what kind of details they should announce," said Komatsu. "I've told them that I'm hoping they will make an announcement that will heat up the game industry."
Old 03-13-2006, 09:16 AM
intelligentsia

Location: Land of cheap vodka, hot girls, and great nightlife
WTF its launching next week i doubt that. Maybe they will announce plans hell i dont even know any of the launch games or the price.
Old 03-13-2006, 01:39 PM
Masshole

I have a better chance of having sex with Adriana Lima than PS3 coming out next week.
Old 03-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Pink as a pistol

Just read from ps3news.ca that Sony is planing to hold a press conference this wednesday, and many details of the PS3 may be released...

According to CEO Kiyoshi Komatsu, Sony is planning a huge press conference for March 15th, which happens to be this coming Wednesday! This is leading up to the big GDC keynote speech set for next week by Phil Harrison. At the conference it is expected that the company will announce many details concerning the launch of the PlayStation 3 (PS3). Details concerning launch date, price, games, etc. could be announced as this will give Sony a big jump heading into E3 and a chance to kill off rumors concerning a delayed launch.

With news that the PS3 circuit boards will not go into production until July, as well as the fact that developers such as Square Enix are yet to receive final hardware specs, speculation is that a holiday launch may not even be possible at this point considering that it is getting very late. We'll have to see what Sony unveils on Wednesday, and we'll have the news as it happens!
Old 03-13-2006, 03:54 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by mc_yanzo
I have a better chance of having sex with Adriana Lima than PS3 coming out this year.
Fixed
Old 03-14-2006, 11:49 AM
Suzuka Master

I normally wouldn't post this as I think the game looks pretty crappy, a few actual in-game PS3 screenshots appeared on the net for a game called "Untold Legends" developed by SOE for the PS3.

Interestingly, this is the game Josh Robinson the SOE employee who was fired by Sony when he complained about PS3 development. I can possibly see why:

Please don't get me wrong. I think the PS3 will have awesome looking games, but this one isn't one IMO. Sony asked all game sites to take these pictures down promptly after they were leaked. I can see why.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Senior Moderator

^^^^^ there's a reason the game is called "Untold" Legends, lol...
Old 03-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Suzuka Master

It's official... PS3 delayed... November 2006, but does that mean Spring 2007 for the US as Sony has already stated they won't do a multi-region launch like MS?

14-Mar-06 12:28 ET In Play Sony to delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console - DJ (SNE) 47.48 +0.71: Dow Jones reporting that Sony Computer Entertainment will delay the release of its PlayStation 3 next-generation video game console until early November because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not been finalized, The Nihon Keizai Shimbun reported in its Wednesday morning edition.
Old 03-14-2006, 01:27 PM
likes it raw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"because the copy protection technology for the Blu-ray Disc has not been finalized"

Old 03-14-2006, 05:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ I was thinking the same thing......riiiight.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts
Andy Parsons, a U.S. spokesman for the Blu-Ray Disc Association, said, “Any assertion that there is a delay in the copy protection technology is something we are not aware of. As far as we are concerned, everything’s on track.”

The papers said the PS3 will be launched almost simultaneously in Japan, the United States and Europe. Sony has never said officially in which geographical region the players would launch.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11824259/ (full article)
Old 03-14-2006, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

sony sux
Old 03-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,632 Likes on 13,881 Posts
Just remember: Sony hates you.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:26 AM
The sizzle in the Steak

Sony =
Old 03-15-2006, 12:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Sony is the Decepticon of console-makers.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:51 AM
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 133 Posts
damn those decepticons, for always having the cool games.
Old 03-15-2006, 12:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Stapler
damn those decepticons, for always having the cool games.
Well, I think Decepticons > Autobots anyhoo...
Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

PS Biz Brief '06: PS3 Worldwide Release in November

It's official. Details and more inside. Now updated with more info!

by Jeremy Dunham

March 14, 2006 - Ken Kutaragi, PlayStation Master and keeper of big news has announced at the PS meeting today that the PlayStation 3 will be launching in early November worldwide for the North American, Asian, and European territories.

"A completely simultaneous launch is physically impossible," Kutaragi said, "but we believe we'll be able ship to users throughout the world around this time."

Sony's production line is set to pump out one million units per month to meet demand, with a total of six million units to be produced in Fiscal Year 2006 (through March 2007) alone. Production numbers are higher for PS1 and PS2 in their initial years.

Check soon for more.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/696/696054p1.html
Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Excellent...just before Xmas.

Gonna check with EBgames if they are taking preorders later this morning.

Quick Reply: Sony: PS3 News and Discussion Thread