Console & Computer Gaming Latest news in the world of gaming. Xbox One, PS4, and more…

Macbook Pro overheating fix

Old 10-06-2015, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Macbook Pro overheating fix

Anyone with a Macbook knows how hot these suckers get sometimes. I figured it was just getting old, it was processing too much, or the fan was going out. Mine is a Mid 2012 model with 8 GB ram, 1 GB video card, and 750 GB harddrive. So this was kind of surprising to me since I paid $1400 for a computer that lasted 3-4 years and do not do any extreme processing like Photoshop, gaming, or running models.

I researched the Internet and download fan controllers; one did work very well but was still not cooling my computer. Obviously I use my computer on my lap a lot and I know the vent is right where my legs would be so I would use a table or rest it so I could breath unrestricted.

Last night it was so hot that I could barely put my hands on it to type and the bottom was ridiculously hot to the touch. Tried restarting (maybe something was running in a loop that was overheating the computer). Nothing.

Finally I came across and article that talked about cleaning the inside of the computer. Didn’t really cross my mind but does make sense. I took off the bottom plate (super easy, literally just unscrew the thing) and you could see visible dust in the computer, nothing crazy but it was in there. I removed the fan, blew that out (probably should have used a can of air but not running out at midnight for that). Then looked at where the air left the computer. I COULD BARELY SEE THROUGH IT. Literally pulling tons of dust out (a lot for a computer anyways). Obviously cleaned that out, put everything back together, and it’s running and cooling like new.

I just wanted to post this if anyone else is having this problem with their Mac and really anyone with one should do this just to keep it cool and extend the life of your computer, especially how much these little guys are.

Just my little two cents of advice. Hope I helped someone out!
Old 10-06-2015, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I was a hardware tech years ago, you would be amazed what the inside of peoples laptops look like see link - Dusty Laptop. Side note don't ever buy a smokers computer