Well, the TSX needed new wheels....ISF is back (Page 64)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 02:26 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
beautiful choice, I am very jealous
Old 09-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Regional Coordinator (Southeast)

Received 3,656 Likes on 2,490 Posts
Originally Posted by psteng19
Wow, that's a lot of work into the TSX.
Curious, the auto trans can handle the additional power? If there's one thing I can't trust Honda to build, it would be auto trannies.
Actually the auto tranny in the TSX has been amazing for people. I have heard about zero issues with it. I even know several guys with superchargers running more than the base 5psi more like 7-9psi. With one guy running 277whp on the stock auto trans and he has 10k miles on it that way so far being daily driven.

Originally Posted by dom
How much $$$ have you put into that TSX.
Over 15k probably closer to 17k at this point

Originally Posted by ASASN21
Ahhhh! I've been looking for that exact car with around the same mileage for around that exact price and I cannot find onee!! Damn you for finding one before me, and damn me for not living near where you found it.

Nice car
Found it down in Mechanicsburg, PA near where I am from although since I am in NC for a co-op I had been looking down here originally for cars until I found that one.

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Obviously not enough to install a manual transmission.
Originally Posted by CLpower
Actually I will not have the ability to finally install a manual trans in the TSX which I have been wanting to do for a while but haven't wanted to take the car out of commision for a month in order to do the work myself.

Originally Posted by Sly Raskal
Congrats on the addition!

What are your plans for it, if any?
As of right now my plans don't really include much of anything as no one makes an air cup kit for it like they do the NSX and a couple other cars. I enjoy not having to worry about ride height really so if I were to lower I would want the ability of the air cups to raise it back up 2.5inches when need but not effect handling when down at all. So only thing planned for now is some yellow fog light bulbs which should come with stock from Lexus and a NAV bypass module so I can use the nav without the car in park.

Originally Posted by West6MT
congrats J, but two threads,...tsk tsk.
Where do I have two threads? Unless someone created a thread for me.

Originally Posted by FiveLiterCheater
Looks good...but that front bumper needs to go! Any plans for it?
Originally Posted by Revolutions
Welcome to the family....you'll love your IS F...i know i love mine =)

My IS F today is 2 years and 2 days old and just rolled over 50,000 miles....brought her home with 6 miles on the clock.

Soooo many awesome things about the car....8 speed tranny will give you 28mpg highway, sport mode + paddle shifters make the car a blast to drive, put it in auto without sport mode and it's quiet like a Lexus should be, hit the WOT button with your right foot and nothing is cooler than seeing the car go from 8th gear to 3rd gear and feel the torque! Congrats again.

BTW...hopefully you do your own maintenance because a front brake job will set you back $900 in just parts, or about $1300 at a dealership (pads and rotors, depending on how you drive, around 25k miles you'll have to do it, i remember on my 3G Acura TL, it was like $300 for pads and rotors).

Having a performance car is cool, but the maintenance is expensive! Hopefully you make a lot of money for being 24 years old, or you still got some extra money from graduation left over!
Cool another IS-F owner on here. So have you had to do anything to yours besides regular maintance so far? Thats awesome you are getting 28mpg. Best I have managed to get so far is 25.7mpgh on a trip. Yeah when you hit that button the pull is amazing and I love how quick the shifts are with the paddles.

Yeah definitely looking into doing the maintance on the car myself or having a trusted local shop, not the dealer do it. I have also been looking into some non OEM rotors that are much cheaper and people seem to be getting as good or better results than the OEM ones.

Originally Posted by CLpower
yep, still doesn't make sense
Originally Posted by AsianRage
Great choice. The IS-F, in that color is very nice.

I don't understand the idea of the IS-F as a daily driver replacement for the TSX. Those two just don't compute. However, I would get that the TSX will work better as a project car/show car, as it has been, since you've sunken so much money into it. Though if I were to see both on the road, the IS-F will win my attention.

BTW, I've always felt that the Ultrasonic Blue was a subtle callback to the Electron Blue of the SI, though with more cache...but whatever..
Originally Posted by mattg
Sweet car. It is funny that the IS-F is the daily. To me, you couldn't do anything to the TSX to make it a cooler ride than the IS-F (and I know how bad ass your TSX is). I bet the IS-F is still much faster too.

Either way, you have a couple of sweet rides in your stable.
Yeah I see how people don't get it and it doesn't make sense to them. However having done pretty much every bit of work on the car except a few things I am to attached of the car to tear it apart and use it as a daily driver. It allows me to have a fun daily driver as well as a fun and great looking weekend/project car.

Last edited by CCColtsicehockey; 09-21-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:57 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
I understand your reasoning. I would think having a IS-F as a daily driver is a great choice. It's a fun to drive sedan. Perfect.

How often do you drive the TSX or is it a garage queen?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 AM

I understand your reasoning. I would think having a IS-F as a daily driver is a great choice. It's a fun to drive sedan. Perfect.

How often do you drive the TSX or is it a garage queen?
Basically over this summer I have been driving the tsx to work about 2 days a week and then normally take it to a local car meet each week as well and when I am running really quick stops. I normally don't drive it when it rains though. Also it has seen a little less driving the last 3 weeks cause the road construction has picked up locally and they are cutting up certain road sections and the TSX doesn't handle those with how low it is. I try will probably put just under 5000 miles on it this year because that will allow me to be emissions exempt and switch to a straight pipe exhaust with only a muffler.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Team Owner

5,000 miles a year is a lot for a project/show car. I was thinking this was something you only drove to shows every few weeks.

And why would you want to switch to a striaght pipe exhaust?

It's a TSX man, not a Civic.

Love the IS-F though.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Nice car, those things are beautiful. I might have seen you on I77 last week. There aren't too many blue IS-F's in the Queen City from what I've noticed.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by FiveLiterCheater
Looks good...but that front bumper needs to go! Any plans for it?
Curious about why you don't like the front bumper. One of my favorite parts of the car.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Blazin Si
Nice car, those things are beautiful. I might have seen you on I77 last week. There aren't too many blue IS-F's in the Queen City from what I've noticed.
Thanks. Definitely haven't seen another one around thats for sure probably was me.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
a front brake job will set you back $900 in just parts, or about $1300 at a dealership (pads and rotors, depending on how you drive, around 25k miles you'll have to do it, i remember on my 3G Acura TL, it was like $300 for pads and rotors).
Wow......

Nice car man, congrats

Last edited by YoungCeo; 09-21-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,409 Likes on 3,021 Posts
Nice pick up on the IS for a DD, also, this is the first time I've seen your TSX, and I give you props on the work, keep it up
Old 09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
congrats on the new car
Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Great color. I looked at a lightly used one before deciding on teh Power Plenum.

Oh and x3 @ mrsteve.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CCColtsicehockey
Actually the auto tranny in the TSX has been amazing for people. I have heard about zero issues with it. I even know several guys with superchargers running more than the base 5psi more like 7-9psi. With one guy running 277whp on the stock auto trans and he has 10k miles on it that way so far being daily driven.

Actually I will not have the ability to finally install a manual trans in the TSX which I have been wanting to do for a while but haven't wanted to take the car out of commision for a month in order to do the work myself.
If you were planning to go manual, why didn't you get one right off the bat?
Or sell the auto and get a manual?

Tranny swaps aren't uncommon but I much rather get one that began life as a manual, not one transplanted later.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 236 Likes on 97 Posts
Congrats on the F, looks good.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by psteng19
If you were planning to go manual, why didn't you get one right off the bat?
Or sell the auto and get a manual?

Tranny swaps aren't uncommon but I much rather get one that began life as a manual, not one transplanted later.
Well because I was 16 when I get the car, not one person I knew or relative had a manual so there was no one to tell me what I was missing. Would I have gone back and done it over different absolutely however hind sight is always 20/20.

And sell the auto and get a manual? Uh if you look at the build thread it would be obvious that to get the car back to stock would take either of month of work doing so after work or about 2 weeks of time taking off from my job easily. I have done so much to this car that returning to stock to sell and buy a manual would be way more work than just doing a manual swap.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
Ops, my bad man, I thought you had 2 threads on the go. I confused the toys thread (or maybe the post whore thread?) where you had pics up as another thread for the new ride.

When do I get my ride? lol
Old 09-22-2010, 12:01 AM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice car but the ride was too firm for me.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:05 AM
Team Owner

Well because I was 16 when I get the car...
Sweet car for a 16 year old! I bet you slayed in high school So at what age did you buy a house?
Old 09-22-2010, 06:25 AM

5,000 miles a year is a lot for a project/show car. I was thinking this was something you only drove to shows every few weeks.

And why would you want to switch to a striaght pipe exhaust?

It's a TSX man, not a Civic.

Love the IS-F though.
Guess my estimation of mileage is a little high. I checked the mileage last night and I have only put 2,000 miles on it so far so I doubt I will even eclipse 3,500 by the end of the year.

I would only switch to a straight pipe if I up the boost to 10psi and need the increased exhaust flow.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:27 AM

Sweet car for a 16 year old! I bet you slayed in high school So at what age did you buy a house?
Guess I fail at math as the TSX only came out fall 2003 and we picked it up for my mom to drive instead of her conversion van always and I could drive it some as well when I was 17 1/2 based on how old I am now. I started driving a 1995 buick park avenue for my first two years I had my licence.

I don't have a house yet. No point in having a house yet as I just finished school.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by nokiaman
Congrats on the F, looks good.
Thanks
Old 09-22-2010, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by West6MT
Ops, my bad man, I thought you had 2 threads on the go. I confused the toys thread (or maybe the post whore thread?) where you had pics up as another thread for the new ride.

When do I get my ride? lol
It's cool.

You can have a ride next time you come down to visit but I am no longer in NY anymore.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
So at what age did you buy a house?
LOL... I was just going to post: Next purchase... a house!

I don't have a house yet. No point in having a house yet as I just finished school.
Actually it's always a good time to purchase an appreciating asset over a depreciating asset... especially when you're dumping a lot of money into the cars. And in this market... you should be jumping on some of the steals out there. Get a nice place on Lake Norman or Wylie off of foreclosure and just let the equity build up. Much better investment then just about any car. And age (or just graduating from college) shouldn't have anything to do with it. At 24/25 we were in contract and building our first place while also paying for our own wedding (and we owned 2 cars). Granted I was getting married, but before you call dual income, my wife was still in school (got married a few months after she graduated) so most of the money for the wedding and house came from me as she was only working part-time while in school full-time.

Either way, nice ride. I've always like the IS-F's. Not sure I'd pick up that monster V8 as a daily driver... but still, a great pick up. You need to bring that puppy to one of C&C's. Not October though... we won't be there next week

Enjoy

Last edited by juniorbean; 09-22-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
How did I miss this thread!!??
Congrats! That thing looks sweet!
How is the ride quality?
I have always wanted to drive one of those.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Team Owner

Oh. So you have a $30k car with tens of thousands of modifications and now a $40k daily driver and you're still renting (or worse, living with mom and dad)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Team Owner

I would only switch to a straight pipe if I up the boost to 10psi and need the increased exhaust flow.
Please don't. Again, it's a TSX... not a Civic.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Race Director

Received 596 Likes on 430 Posts
nice TSX and ISF
Old 09-22-2010, 06:46 PM
Midnight Garage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please don't. Again, it's a TSX... not a Civic.
Yet, it's still an Accord lol. Let the man do what he wants.

The way he's doing the TSX, I'm sure it won't go wrong.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Do what you want J. Your life bud, and that co-op you're doing right now is going to put you in the right direction.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mr Laocean
Yet, it's still an Accord lol. Let the man do what he wants.
Who's stopping him? It's a public forum and it would be an EXTREMELY boring one if we all agreed with each other.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 165 Likes on 127 Posts
It's cool.

You can have a ride next time you come down to visit but I am no longer in NY anymore.
Sweet!!!

Yeah, you are pretty far away now dude.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
I've said this before. It would have been cheaper to buy new wheels.

Nice car.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Team Owner

^
Old 09-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Who's stopping him? It's a public forum and it would be an EXTREMELY boring one if we all agreed with each other.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I agree, when the time comes my DD will most likely be a CTS-V.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:52 PM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
bastard! nice pick up... I always wanted IS-F.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:42 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Great pick-up. Did the BMW M3 cross your mind during purchase?
Old 09-23-2010, 07:27 AM
8AT > 6MT

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A
Cool another IS-F owner on here. So have you had to do anything to yours besides regular maintance so far? Thats awesome you are getting 28mpg. Best I have managed to get so far is 25.7mpgh on a trip. Yeah when you hit that button the pull is amazing and I love how quick the shifts are with the paddles.

Yeah definitely looking into doing the maintance on the car myself or having a trusted local shop, not the dealer do it. I have also been looking into some non OEM rotors that are much cheaper and people seem to be getting as good or better results than the OEM ones.
The whole idea behind me buying the IS F was to keep it stock. I've had 3 modded cars before this. Honda Accord, which i learned a lot about cars with the hard way, Civic Si, then my 3G TL. It was a pain to keep up with worn tires and pot holes and stuff.

All i've done is i've removed the mufflers from the car. I cut it off right after the large resonator in the back. So the "fake" exhaust tips are functional! And with them, it looks like i have mufflers...when i don't.... I'm actually thinking about going to a shop and having them remove the large secondary resonator...see how loud this puppy gets!

Without the mufflers it actually has a REALLY nice rumble to it...the car turns heads all the time when i'm in parking lots in manual mode to keep it in 1st gear. It's very unexpected...so not like a Lexus but so cool at the same time
Old 09-23-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Eoanou
Great pick-up. Did the BMW M3 cross your mind during purchase?
It did but a CPO M3 with about 25k miles on them still costs about 10-12k more than the F was which was considerably out of my budget.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:22 AM

The whole idea behind me buying the IS F was to keep it stock. I've had 3 modded cars before this. Honda Accord, which i learned a lot about cars with the hard way, Civic Si, then my 3G TL. It was a pain to keep up with worn tires and pot holes and stuff.

All i've done is i've removed the mufflers from the car. I cut it off right after the large resonator in the back. So the "fake" exhaust tips are functional! And with them, it looks like i have mufflers...when i don't.... I'm actually thinking about going to a shop and having them remove the large secondary resonator...see how loud this puppy gets!

Without the mufflers it actually has a REALLY nice rumble to it...the car turns heads all the time when i'm in parking lots in manual mode to keep it in 1st gear. It's very unexpected...so not like a Lexus but so cool at the same time
So you just had some straight pipe welded on in place to lead back to the tips on the bumper? Definitely want to do something similar if I don't actually do an exhaust as I want to unleash that V8 rumble a bit more.

Quick Reply: Well, the TSX needed new wheels....ISF is back (Page 64)