Are we satisfied with our Acura(s)?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:43 AM
Oracle Apps/Database Dude

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Are we satisfied with our Acura(s)?

Is everyone here still pretty satisfied and happy with his/her Acura?I have been a member of this board forever, actually I am the 64th member that signed up.I have been an Acura Owner since 1989. All of my cars performed very satisfactory.

Question – Consumers Report came up with the list of Owners Satisfaction Rank and I was surprised to see Acura’s Owners Satisfaction being ranked at the bottom. What gives?

Last edited by 2001TL4KCdude; 12-27-2016 at 09:44 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-27-2016, 01:27 PM
Turd Polisher

Received 3,006 Likes on 1,514 Posts
The only Acura I was "satisfied" with was my 2003 CLS6 which I sold for my current S2000.

Never looked back and don't plan on returning.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
I have a 2006 6MT TL as a daily driver, but I've moved on as well. I've decided to invest some money back into the TL and drive it until it dies, but simply because there aren't many other 6MT equipped sedans that I'd consider driving otherwise. But I will not buy another Acura product again. Even the reliability of my TL is abysmal at best. I know it's a ten year old car, but I've owned several other 8-15 year old Hondas and Acuras over the years and none of them ever had as much shit fail on them as this thing. Honda/Acura reliability is a figment of its former self.

You'll obviously see that there's both sides of the coin here on AZ- plenty do like, or even love their cars, but many of us have been scorned, or simply bored away.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
The answer to that question is what the market/competitors have done in the past decade vs. what Acura has not done.

The products themselves are still the same, reliable, good mpg, acceptable performance all around. It worked in the 90s and early 2000s, but the same formula just does not work anymore in the luxury/near luxury market.

Also Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Kia/Hyundai also offer very competitive cars in terms of performance and features, unlike how cheap they were in the 90s and early 2000s.
If you add that to the equation, it is pretty obvious to see why Acura is not satisfying what the Luxury market wants. The key word is "wants".
Acura is stuck in the middle between Bargain/value (buyers go to Honda and etc to get what they "need"..) and Luxury brand (buyers will go to BMW/Lexus/Mercedes to get what they "want")

Last edited by oonowindoo; 12-27-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:31 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
I have a 2006 6MT TL as a daily driver, but I've moved on as well. I've decided to invest some money back into the TL and drive it until it dies, but simply because there aren't many other 6MT equipped sedans that I'd consider driving otherwise. But I will not buy another Acura product again. Even the reliability of my TL is abysmal at best. I know it's a ten year old car, but I've owned several other 8-15 year old Hondas and Acuras over the years and none of them ever had as much shit fail on them as this thing. Honda/Acura reliability is a figment of its former self.

You'll obviously see that there's both sides of the coin here on AZ- plenty do like, or even love their cars, but many of us have been scorned, or simply bored away.
I'm one of those who got bored with the brand. I liked my '06 TL (despite replacing the steering rack twice...), but when I decided I wanted more performance out of my daily driver, there was no where for me to go with Acura. The rest, as they say, is history...
Old 12-28-2016, 12:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Mine will turn 10 years old Jan. 1st and just clocked over 130,000 miles. I'm still very happy with her as my daily even though she's shown her age in the last year (dash cracks and the driver seat has a small tear ). But, as others said, it would probably be the last Acura I'd own simply because the brand doesn't have anything I'd really want. Should something happen to my Acura, I'll be picking up a truck for a change or something like an older LS for comfort/luxury.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello

100% agreed. I swear my MDX is either cursed or possessed. Almost every single day something small and irritating happens, things like a rock stuck in brakes randomly (worst sound I have ever heard a car make in my entire life) to battery suddenly failing, to HFL suddenly failing, to gas cap cover getting frozen shut/sticking shut, to random errors on dash stating that I need to check my transmission, to random light on dash telling me to check oil (by the way these warnings could have been linked to the battery, but I got the transmission one again even after replacing the battery), to new squeaks, clicking sounds, rattles coming and coming and going daily. In contrast, my RDX was bullet proof, not a single issue, nothing. I know I make the MDX sound like a total POS, it isn't, and those "issues" are tiny and could happen with ANY car but it is really grinding at my last bits of patience and daily considering selling it more and more. If I do sell it, it will be my last Honda-Acura product for a VERY long time. Currently considering some infiniti or kia products.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:55 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
they don't care about their customers. Once we get rid of the pos tsx we have, that should be it for us. It's not breaking down, but it's cheap compared to comparable vehicles. Hell, the accord is nicer.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 109 Posts
2003 tls purchased june 2014 @196k experience: after routine maintenance, current mileage @ 225K+, vehicle operates perfectly. during the past 30 months only two failures, vtec oil pressure switch, and the accessory drive belt tensioner. everything on this car operates properly, everything. the transmission, (RMK factory rebuilt) experienced a slight "shudder" on 2nd to 3rd up-shift which has been corrected. the paint and trim are exceptional (white pearl w/ black trim) have not even experienced a burned out bulb as yet. over all, this car performs as well as any car i have ever owned, achieves 34 mpg on road trips, does not use more than 1 pint of oil between 5,000 mile change intervals and is very very responsive operationally. i could not ask for a more rewarding ownership experience. built 02/2002, this 15 year old car is a testament to what the acura brand could be.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by frankjnjr
2003 tls purchased june 2014 @196k experience: after routine maintenance, current mileage @ 225K+, vehicle operates perfectly. during the past 30 months only two failures, vtec oil pressure switch, and the accessory drive belt tensioner. everything on this car operates properly, everything. the transmission, (RMK factory rebuilt) experienced a slight "shudder" on 2nd to 3rd up-shift which has been corrected. the paint and trim are exceptional (white pearl w/ black trim) have not even experienced a burned out bulb as yet. over all, this car performs as well as any car i have ever owned, achieves 34 mpg on road trips, does not use more than 1 pint of oil between 5,000 mile change intervals and is very very responsive operationally. i could not ask for a more rewarding ownership experience. built 02/2002, this 15 year old car is a testament to what the acura brand could be.
I think you mean testament to what the Acura brand WAS.
The following users liked this post:
frankjnjr (12-29-2016)
Old 12-28-2016, 11:05 AM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001TL4KCdude

Is everyone here still pretty satisfied and happy with his/her Acura?I have been a member of this board forever, actually I am the 64th member that signed up.I have been an Acura Owner since 1989. All of my cars performed very satisfactory.

Question – Consumers Report came up with the list of Owners Satisfaction Rank and I was surprised to see Acura’s Owners Satisfaction being ranked at the bottom. What gives?
I find that "satisfaction" is subjective. Some may read that as, are you satisfied or are you not (cut and dried). Some may read it as, are you completely satisfied. And then there are the thousand "whys and why nots". The whys are what are subjective. Consumers Report is a fairly trustworthy source, but I would not make a purchasing decision on this data alone. Those high Tesla and Porsche ratings are probably influenced in part by "fan boy" mentality. We can all imagine that a trip to the maintenance bay for a Porsche or Tesla can't be satisfying to your wallet, for instance. As for Acura and Infiniti scoring low, there may be a perception about the ownership experience of a "next tier" brand that owners factor in, when these brands can still learn from BMW and Lexus when it comes to building prestige.

[goes to CR's website for more insight]

Ah, here it is.

Overall Score Explained

Our Overall Score accounts for a vehicle’s performance in our road tests, results from our reliability and owner-satisfaction surveys, and safety, or how well it protects the driver and passengers. The score helps guide car buyers to the best purchase and holds the automotive industry to the highest possible standards.

Road Test represents the final tally after we conduct more than 50 assessments on each vehicle. Some of the findings—such as fuel economy and acceleration—are objective; others, including fit and finish evaluations, are subjective.

Predicted Reliability is our forecast of how well a new model is likely to hold up, based on CR’s Annual Auto Survey.

Owner Satisfaction comes from our annual survey in which we ask owners whether they would definitely buy or lease their particular vehicle again.

Safety takes into account government and insurance-industry crash-test results and the availability of a frontal-crash prevention system.

/

There is no way a BMW is more reliable than an Acura. For me, I am still satisfied with my 2008 G37 S Coupe because of the following reasons:
  • I still like the car (period). The style, the power, etc...
  • I've spent next to nothing on repairs even after having this car since 2009 (new). It's been rock solid.
  • Maintenance costs are reasonable.
  • The overall design ran for a long time (with minor styling updates), so it still looks rather new.
Would I buy another Infiniti? The Q60 is already on my short list for 2018. As for Acura (and Infiniti), again, I think it is these brands not delivering on the ownership experience of a next-tier brand. But then again, that's my subjective opinion.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
ILX is the car people are least likely to buy again at 41%, and the RLX is the 9th least likely repeat purchase, according to CR. I'm mostly satisfied with my RLX but it's had an electrical gremlin lately, so that has an effect on my satisfaction. "Too much technology", the service reps keep saying. If it weren't winter, I'd be daily-driving my relatively tech free NSX (compared to modern Acuras, anyway) instead.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:24 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 2001TL4KCdude

I'm willing to bet owner experience with the 9AT ZF transmissions in the TLX is one of the reasons. Up until that car, Acura was mostly the Acura of old. Now, the mentality is that the customer should accept the flaws as a "normal characteristic" of that car. I'm speak from experience and, having had to deal with ACR, I'd rank them 30/30.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:49 PM
Team Owner

I keep reading the same sentiment, pretty much across AZ:

1. Legitimize yourself again. Acura keeps trying to define themselves as a sporty brand, but the problem is that it is all talk. Think of the company Soichiro Honda built- one that heavily relied on and was inspired by its racing roots.

2. Get your quality issues under control. Acura used to be one of the best, most reliable, and highly regarded automotive brands, heavily due in part to its bulletproof engineering.

3. Listen to your customers. Acura had some very nice looking cars over the years, but since 2009, it's been flop after vanilla meh. If people hate your design language, listen to them. These people WANT to give you their hard earned money. But you're not letting them, because you don't listen!

4. Think outside box. FWD and an NA V6 (or I4) shouldn't be the starting point of every vehicle you produce. People don't need 5 car configurations of the same setup.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:28 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
I bet the ones in the survey have the newer Acuras. If you polled the owners of 3G TLers, I'm sure they would still be satisfied.. My 08 Type S just hit 111K and just replaced the front brakes today. Still love it to death.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:19 AM
Nom-nom-nom!!!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
With my 2012 MDX (Tech), absolutely. With the exception of the NSX, everything in Acura's current lineup is blah...
Old 12-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SDSilverM3
I'm willing to bet owner experience with the 9AT ZF transmissions in the TLX is one of the reasons. Up until that car, Acura was mostly the Acura of old. Now, the mentality is that the customer should accept the flaws as a "normal characteristic" of that car. I'm speak from experience and, having had to deal with ACR, I'd rank them 30/30.
See my post above and you will see where the problem lies.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
If I was satisfied with my Acura I never would have left for BMW and now Cadillac. After loosing several quarts of oil, which Acura says is "acceptable and within tolerance levels" I happily take my big ticket item dollars elsewhere.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:36 PM
Rooting for Acura

Received 1,740 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
If I was satisfied with my Acura I never would have left for BMW and now Cadillac. After loosing several quarts of oil, which Acura says is "acceptable and within tolerance levels" I happily take my big ticket item dollars elsewhere.
I left Acura because they didn't offer a sport coupe any longer. Although I wouldn't have one in my garage at the moment, I would recommend the brand to a more sensible car buyer.
Mr Marco (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 72 Posts
In 2008 I bought a lease returned 2005 RL that was a nightmare. Would worry every day about a new light coming on in the dash. Everything from Air conditioner, to headlights, to false TPMS errors, to electric seats failing, clear coat peeling off of back bumper, drive shaft whine in cold weather. I'm sure I forgot half the things that were up with that car. But then I traded down or up I guess to a 2010 TSX that has been rock solid since I bought it. I grew to love this car and will keep it till it dies. I would definitely buy that 6 speed TSX again back in 2010 but Acura has nothing for me today. I just bought a 6 speed 2016 WRX in April after test driving the TLX and its weak sauce transmission taking 25 minutes to shift gears.
Old 12-29-2016, 04:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Terdbath
... I just bought a 6 speed 2016 WRX in April...
Subaru gives a lot of bang for the buck, and reliability too!
TacoBello (12-29-2016)
Old 12-29-2016, 04:54 PM
Banned

Received 124 Likes on 104 Posts
Once you understand that Acura has never been about extreme, and more about nicely balanced cars based on Costco marketing model, it makes sense.

Coming from a few Audis/BMWs I enjoy my TLX - would buy it again at this price standpoint.
Old 12-29-2016, 05:54 PM
Team Owner

Obviously, there are still selling that why there were around 2500 people who did buy TLX last month. While Acura does not need to be extreme, but they need a selling point right? then how can you convince more people to buy your car if A) buyers who are looking for reliability in the luxury market will go to Lexus. B) for everything else, they go to German.
If a nicely balanced car is what i am looking for, then Honda is where i should be looking at.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:31 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
I was satisfied before I got my Audi. No more Acuras for me. They just dont compare.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:40 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Subaru gives a lot of bang for the buck, and reliability too!
Shhhh! I secretly missed you
Old 12-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1killercls
I was satisfied before I got my Audi. No more Acuras for me. They just dont compare.
And you are here for what reason exactly? It is a fully legitimate question.

Just asking.

PS: Yeah I owned an Audi before and I no longer spend time on an Audi forum website.

Last edited by Saintor; 12-29-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 115 Posts
I would buy the TSX Wagon again, but I wouldn't give a second look to any of the models in the current lineup. I also found this anonymous insider letter to the AutoExtremist, and it sounds a lot like they are talking about Acura: Rants - Autoextremist.com ~ the bare-knuckled, unvarnished, high octane truth...

Subject: Mr. Autoextremist

I have tried and tried to get my engineering team to understand what we’re lacking when it comes to delivering cars that really resonate. We just spent five years developing a new sports car but as you predicted a couple of years ago, it has done nothing for the rest of our lineup. In other words, there’s no “halo” effect going on here. When I ask the engineering team to dig deep down and find the “soul” of our cars, they come back with another technical package of gizmos, which is about as far away from the point as we can get. Right now we’re nowhere and I am getting worried, because if we can’t break through this stagnant state, I’m afraid the entire brand is in serious jeopardy. Your thoughts would be much appreciated… with much respect.

PMD: Thank you. I, along with countless other enthusiast consumers, have been waiting for a new lineup of cars that truly reflects the heart and soul of your company for years. And despite endless promises, it never happens. And why is that? Your early cars resonated because they truly represented the best automotive thinking from your company. Entertaining driver’s machines, they positively brimmed with creativity and were fun to drive. But in subsequent years you have gotten so far away from those qualities that it’s pathetic.

In other words, it got weird.

Setting aside the new sports car for now, I can’t think of a single car you make that I would want. Not one. Your brand doesn’t stand for anything because you’ve been wandering around lost in the desert for so long that no one cares. In short, there’s no compelling reason to buy one of your products – except for the obligatory crossovers – because you can get the same thing (and mostly better, I might add) from other manufacturers. And despite your best efforts, the new design language leaves much to be desired. That it’s better than the previous rolling visual atrocities doesn’t mean it’s good. You need a radical departure of thought deep within the company, at least, that is, if you want to remain in the car business. Now, if you just want to have a few crossovers and a sports car, that’s another story; but I’m pretty sure that’s not what you want.

Go where no one else is going. Break away from the expected and create machines that you would love to drive – and own. Going through the motions in this business is a kind of hell that nobody wants, but many acquiesce to it simply to get by. Stop it. And show us what you’re made of.
The following 2 users liked this post by WheelMcCoy:
neuronbob (12-30-2016), TacoBello (01-01-2017)
Old 12-29-2016, 10:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
my first and last Acura was my 2002 CL type S. Nice fun car to drive but it had issues in terms of things breaking that should not have considering I take care of my car and am attentive to all of its maintenance needs
Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Saintor

Just asking.

PS: Yeah I owned an Audi before and I no longer spend time on an Audi forum website.
and what is your point? I drive BMW for the past 6 years, does not mean i can only spend time on the BMW forums.

Just because you don't spend time on Audi forum, does not mean other people can't spend time on Acura forum, or more specifically, Car Talk.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:49 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
i havent been satisfied since they made that 4G TL... the 3G TL was the last Acura we owned in the family... it's sad to see what the brand has become...
The following 3 users liked this post by KaMLuNg:
EvilVirus (01-04-2017), TacoBello (01-01-2017), YeuEmMaiMai (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 01:39 PM
Senior Moderator

This thread is going to go down quickly....we've had so many of the same thread. I just erased a lengthy reply because I'm just tired of it. Call me when Acura does something significant for their sedan portfolio. I'll be driving my V wagon and enjoying the hell out of it.
TacoBello (01-01-2017)
Old 12-30-2016, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
and what is your point? I drive BMW for the past 6 years, does not mean i can only spend time on the BMW forums.

Just because you don't spend time on Audi forum, does not mean other people can't spend time on Acura forum, or more specifically, Car Talk.
Well the point is that I don't go there perpetually bitching all their products either. If I am not interested (i.e. like) by the subject then I am out of there - I will certainly not go there perpetually bitching all their products! I drove BMWs and Audis for more than 15 years and came here anyway because I liked the TL 2-3rd gen, TSX 1st gen, MDX.. The TLX is the spiritual successor of TL 3rd. It may not be quite as extreme as the competition, but I enjoy its overall balance. It is a fundamentally a very good daily driver and I don't miss the zermans with all the nonsense that came with them.
Old 12-30-2016, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

That is fine. You can go to whichever forum and do whatever you want. That is up to you. But others do not have the follow the same path as you right?

Unless the rule here is "Only positive feedback are allowed from current Acura owners only", otherwise it is a public forum that welcomes all fanboys and haters alike.

Also OP asked for the reason why Acura is behind and many gave him the feedback that he was looking for and that is that.

Last edited by oonowindoo; 12-30-2016 at 04:01 PM.
ttribe (12-30-2016)
Old 12-30-2016, 06:48 PM

Received 5,884 Likes on 2,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Sain:rolleyes:tor

Just asking.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 109 Posts
I loved my 03 CLS6 and absolutely love my 07 RL. I don't see myself getting another Acura again.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
My only complaint lies with my 16 TLX V6 which really needs an LSD for its FWD setup. Other than that love it and my 15 MDX.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:18 PM
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 54 Posts
I'll list every car I've owned, most desirable being first and least desirable being last..

1) 2007 Cadillac STS V
2) 2010 Volkswagen GTI DSG
3) 2012 Ford Mustang GT
4) 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP Coupe
5) 1998 Ford Mustang GT
6) 2007 Ford Mustang GT
7) 2006 Ford Mustang GT
8) 2006 Ford Mustang GT
9) 1999 Ford F-150 Ext Cab 5.4L
10) 1996 Ford Mustang GT
11) 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo SS
12) 1997 Honda Accord EX V6
13) 2004 Ford Mustang GT Convertible
14) 2008 Chevy HHR SS
15) 1988 Ford Mustang GT
16) 1989 Ford Mustang GT
17) 2005 Acura RL
18) 2008 Hyundai Azera Limited Ultimate
19) 1996 Pontiac Grand AM SE
20) 1988 Acura Integra RS

In other words I'll never buy another Acura. Had loads of problems with it and had absolutely 0 aftermarket support. The only thing I liked was that it was AWD but the damn thing was so heavy and under-powered that I couldn't even enjoy the AWD system. I always liked them for their looks and thought they'd be a cool car but after owning one and experiencing the cost of ownership. Never again. Shit my Cadillac is cheaper to maintain.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:42 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by F23A4
My only complaint lies with my 16 TLX V6 which really needs an LSD for its FWD setup. Other than that love it and my 15 MDX.
That's a substantial "miss" on the car, and to have one put in afterwards is very expensive. Not many people are willing to pony up 2000-2500 to buy an lsd and have it installed. How in this day and age did honda manage to put out a "performance" or "sport" sedan, without even an LSD is beyond me.

I know it likely came down to cost, but shiiiet....
Old 01-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,659 Likes on 926 Posts
It would be helped by an LSD but its not a deal breaker for anyone who just wants a slightly nicer version of the AV6 sedan.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:37 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
If money weren't an object, I would probably have moved on by now. My wife and I make enough money, but there's nothing inspiring enough to make me go through the trouble of buying a new vehicle AND convincing my wife AND going through the buying process. The TSX is almost paid off. Maybe when the warranty is up.

So am I satisfied with my current Acura? Sure. Would I buy another one? Probably not. Life is too short for a FWD sedan in Texas.
The following 2 users liked this post by kurtatx:
TacoBello (01-08-2017), ttribe (01-08-2017)

Quick Reply: Are we satisfied with our Acura(s)?