Is it time to admit SUV's/CUV's are the true flagships? Outsold sedans this year.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Is it time to admit SUV's/CUV's are the true flagships? Outsold sedans this year.

I was reading an article about how BMW CEOS were saying the true 'top market' right now is in SUV/CUV and no longer in super powered sports cars and large luxury sedans. I did some more research and actually found out that SUVS/CUVS outsold sedans last year and is outselling them this year.

I think the days of sedans being consider a 'flagship' is soon going to be over. The TLX will probably end up second most important behind the MDX etc etc.

On the other hand, I think this also impacted sales a lot and inflate the success of the 3G. Back during the 3G days the Lexus RX was the only SUV/CUV that was on par with sedans in terms of sales. Now other than the RX, the X3/Q series from Audi/MDX/RDX/Mercedes etc etc are all selling as much as sedans. Taking away a lot of the sales.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm fine with people driving SUVs, so long as they can actually park them. The DMV should require any person who purchases an SUV for the first time to recertify their driving/parking abilities.

I can't tell you the number of times I've seen "Mrs. Mom" backing in and out of a parking spot in her BMW SUV, only to finally resign herself to the fact that 1ft over into the adjacent spot is as good as it's gonna get.

Most of the Parking Lot chaos I see in California is due to two specific vehicle types: SUVS and the people who feel the need to drive vehicles like the Ford F350 and park it in a "compact" parking spot.
Old 11-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Why do we need to "admit" anything? People buy and drive what they want. SUVs are a good multi-purpose vehicle. It stands to reason that they'd sell as well as they do.
The following 7 users liked this post by Stew4HD:
BEAR-AvHistory (11-15-2014), ggesq (11-16-2014), JS + XES (11-17-2014), justnspace (11-18-2014), Ken1997TL (11-16-2014), tlxsteve (11-15-2014), YeuEmMaiMai (11-18-2014) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 849 Likes on 679 Posts
Something does need to happen about parking situations with all these huge cars. Like maybe just make it illegal to park an suv or truck in compact spots. Just like parking in restricted zone. Most people would get away with it but the ticket is there on occasion. Sorry about the small dick. Now leave the monstrosity as home. You don't need an f250 in Santa Clarita.
The following users liked this post:
MedX172 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 106 Posts
I don't have to admit anything?
Old 11-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by usdmJON
You don't need an f250 in Santa Clarita.
You know this how? One of the big issues which the country now a days are a small group of people telling all the others what is acceptable for them buy & use.
The following 6 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
crazyasiantl (11-18-2014), JS + XES (11-17-2014), juniorbean (11-18-2014), Ken1997TL (11-16-2014), ttribe (11-17-2014), YeuEmMaiMai (11-18-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Another thread that does not make a lot of sense. The largest selling means of personal transportation in the US is the F-150 at 3,000 about day.

That said there is no plan for FORD to stop selling cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
00TL-P3.2 (11-17-2014), juniorbean (11-18-2014), YeuEmMaiMai (11-18-2014)
Old 11-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
SUVs outselling cars is old news, they've also been more profitable from the get go.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
You know this how? One of the big issues which the country now a days are a small group of people telling all the others what is acceptable for them buy & use.
I'm just saying there is no use for it. Just my opinion. I don't think they should be stopped from wasting their money on a huge ugly monstrosity that they can't fit in their garage.

What I said should happen is maybe making it illegal for these big trucks and suvs from parking in compact spots. I personally wish they could designate oversized parking in the back of lots for them to park in. Leaving normal trucks and suvs to park in the middle and small compacts in the front with electric and motorcycle spots sprinkled into the handicap sections in the very front.

I know this is impossible with parking lots already made and in use. But it is so frustrating when two trucks can ride the lines to one spot making that spot useless.

I work at a gun range. Majority of the customers there own big trucks and suvs. I get it. A lot are interested in off road activities. Dogs to transport. Large weapon trunks. Etc etc. But these trucks literally stop the flow of traffic in and out of our parking lots when two of them park incorrectly park right next to each other. Then having to find the owner and ask they move their car because freight trucks can't get by them. Then they almost always get upset that they are asked to move their horribly parked car and often claim it's bullshit and they won't come back to the range. A lot of them just feel since the truck is huge it's acceptable to block others. They want the easy out for themselves and expect other people to bend over backwards to get on with their business around them. No. Park correctly and we can all do our thing. Park like an idiot and now your stupidity is slowing down others progress.

Last edited by usdmJON; 11-15-2014 at 04:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by usdmJON:
4WDrift (11-16-2014), MedX172 (11-16-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Motor Trend just named the 2015 Honda CRV the SUV of the year.

2015 Motor Trend SUV of the Year Winner: Honda CR-V - Motor Trend
Old 11-16-2014, 11:00 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm just saying there is no use for it. Just my opinion. .
No problem with you having an opinion, I have been known to have one on occasion myself.

I just disagree with the part where you said no one it your town needs one.

Personally I have a Ranger Pick-Up, not very big, an Expedition EL (extra length) & both are well used for what they were purchased for.

On Thursday the EL will tow the Cobra & trailer, about a ton & a half, down to Greensboro. Last night it took my wife, 2 daughters & sons in law, along with my granddaughter to an event downtown.

If everyone had gone on their own it would be 4 cars parked instead of just one which had no issues getting parked.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-16-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:22 PM
Suzuka Master

No problem with you having an opinion, I have been known to have one on occasion myself.

I just disagree with the part where you said no one it your town needs one.

Personally I have a Ranger Pick-Up, not very big, an Expedition EL (extra length) & both are well used for what they were purchased for.

On Thursday the EL will tow the Cobra & trailer, about a ton & a half, down to Greensboro. Last night it took my wife, 2 daughters & sons in law, along with my granddaughter to an event downtown.

If everyone had gone on their own it would be 4 cars parked instead of just one which had no issues getting parked.
The people that actually need a huge f250 are very very limited. I understand if they need to tow or trailer other shit. But if that is the use of your huge vehicle then it should be left home during starbucks runs and small daily outings like parking at the movie theater.

I understand there are uses. I'm not complaining about that. My issue is those huge trucks being double parked at the starbucks while one mother climbs out to sit around and talk with her cougar friends.

They don't make proper daily drivers. If you really like to daily it then I don't wish to stop you. I wish you would park towards the back of parking lots because the compact spaces upfront won't fit that huge truck.

Last edited by usdmJON; 11-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:31 PM
Suzuka Master

I'll try to take a picture of my local starbucks tomorrow or next time I see what I'm speaking out.

Many places already have compact parking upfront. Yet entitled individuals feel they deserve to walk a minimal distance even if their trucks don't fit. They ride the line, maybe double park, and they don't care because they got their first and why should they have to park their huge truck 30 feet away from the entrance verse 10.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't see any difference in that & some guy with a BMW Coupe taking up two spaces so no one will park close to his car. Hundreds of picture on the net.

Stupid inconsiderate people are stupid & inconsiderate regardless of what they drive. You just seem to have a thing about some guy with a 250 @ your local Starbucks annoying you.

Regardless of what I an driving, even the bike, I park as far from the store as possible. The Ranger is 14 years old with no door dings.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 11-16-2014 at 12:47 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BEAR-AvHistory:
justnspace (11-18-2014), ttribe (11-17-2014)
Old 11-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Don't see any difference in that & some guy with a BMW Coupe taking up two spaces so no one will park close to his car. Hundreds of picture on the net.

Stupid inconsiderate people are stupid & inconsiderate regardless of what they drive.

Regardless of what I an driving, even the bike, I park as far from the store as possible. The Ranger is 14 years old with no door dings.
Everything I quoted above, I agree with you 150%. I took out the reference about your view about "usdmjon" comment about people driving a f150 as I don't share that part....

But like you, I love parking far because it helps (not eliminate) reduce the risk of door dings ad I like the exercise. I always laugh when I see this HUMONGOUS person spending 10 minutes trying to navigate the vehicle through a tight spot to be closer to the door when they could so use the exercise. *lol*
Old 11-16-2014, 02:38 PM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottLong

I think the days of sedans being consider a 'flagship' is soon going to be over. The TLX will probably end up second most important behind the MDX etc etc.

A "flagship" doesn't need to be a brand's best selling vehicle model.

A "flagship" is closely related to the price and technological features of the vehicle.

So the RLX is the Acura flagship sedan, the MDX the Acura flagship SUV, and later on, the NSX the Acura flagship sport car; irrespective of whether the vehicle is selling well or not.
Old 11-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Stupid inconsiderate people are stupid & inconsiderate regardless of what they drive. You just seem to have a thing about some guy with a 250 @ your local Starbucks annoying you.

The difference between the BMW coupe and big truck is the big truck can't fit in one space. When it does it will be touching one line and going over the other. Then whoever parks next to them doesn't park correctly until it meets someone else parked right and now there is ano Uber small space in the middle.

The coup intentionally taking two spots is borderline worst as it can be prevented as well.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,875 Likes on 3,488 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

A "flagship" is closely related to the price and technological features of the vehicle.

So the RLX is the Acura flagship sedan, the MDX the Acura flagship SUV, and later on, the NSX the Acura flagship sport car; irrespective of whether the vehicle is selling well or not.

MBZ/BMW/Audi/Jag "flagship" vehicles are not SUV's. Flagship describes the pinnacle of the manufacturer's efforts so like Edward sez, the number of sales doesn't mean diddly.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chief F1 Fan:
00TL-P3.2 (11-17-2014), YeuEmMaiMai (11-18-2014)
Old 11-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Screw SUV's and CUV's. I like my plain old UV.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 214 Likes on 143 Posts
The difference between the BMW coupe and big truck is the big truck can't fit in one space. When it does it will be touching one line and going over the other. Then whoever parks next to them doesn't park correctly until it meets someone else parked right and now there is ano Uber small space in the middle.
There used to be a guy at my apartment that drove some obnoxiously oversized Ram truck that had such a long flatbed that when he parked, it stuck out at least 4 feet into the road. It bottlenecked traffic throughout the parking lot every time, making it a FUCKING PITA to get into my own parking space since he always parked across from me

It should be illegal, IMO.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Now picture if you owned a truck that stuck just 1 foot out of your spot. Add that to his 4 feet sticking out and you literally may block a mini van from getting through.
This happens at my work daily. Add freight trucks to the mix 3-4 times a day and you have a ton of shit hanging over a really big fan.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:54 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
I'm just saying there is no use for it. Just my opinion. I don't think they should be stopped from wasting their money on a huge ugly monstrosity that they can't fit in their garage.
Then you don't know where you live/work.

You're right there basically at Canyon Country. Lots of people in Santa Clarita own horses. Or work on farms. There are huge industrial complexes there. Many work in the film industry in the transpo or Craft depts and needs big trucks for work.

You should get a better perspective on an area you spend time in before making asinine judgement calls.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Then you don't know where you live/work.

You're right there basically at Canyon Country. Lots of people in Santa Clarita own horses. Or work on farms. There are huge industrial complexes there. Many work in the film industry in the transpo or Craft depts and needs big trucks for work.

You should get a better perspective on an area you spend time in before making asinine judgement calls.

You should get a better perspective of where I am coming from before making asinine judgement calls based on an overly sweeping comment I had later rectified.

I understand SOME PEOPLE around here need them. Believe me; I do. I live right up next to a few ranches, have a couple friends that work in making props and most transport large equipment and finished pieces, and I myself work at a gun range and more than once have had to drive either the owners RV or our truck to transport equipment and product to and from trade shows.

I GET THAT.

What I don't get is why these people then take these huge vehicles, vehicles they bought for work, to the local movie theater, or Olive Garden, or the gym.
Then further more feel they can fit these huge vehicles in the small spaces right up front.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:17 AM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by Edward'TLS

The "flagship" is usually the largest, most luxurious, priciest sedan, and sometimes a halo car for the rest of the line-- the S-class Mercedes, for example.

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
MBZ/BMW/Audi/Jag "flagship" vehicles are not SUV's. Flagship describes the pinnacle of the manufacturer's efforts so like Edward sez, the number of sales doesn't mean diddly.
Usually, the flagship sells less than the lower-line vehicles because the flagship is much more expensive.
A good case in point: the Lexus LS460 and RX330/350. The LS is the flagship, although the RX SUV outsells the LS by a ridiculous margin. The LX470 SUV is not considered a flagship of the Lexus line either, as it uses older tech compared to the LS460.

Porsche will never consider a Cayenne or Macan to be its flagship model-- that'll always be a 911 Turbo S, or maybe Panamera Turbo S.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Not to pile on to you but just an observation.

You don't need an f250 in Santa Clarita.
I understand SOME PEOPLE around here need them.
You started out with an absolute (which is the statement everyone is arguing with you about) then in your last post, backpedaled and seemingly changed your position. The only absolute that I'll ever use is that you should never use absolutes.

And I do see what you are saying... but it is very possible that some people who own an F250 may not own another vehicle... so when they want to get coffee or go to the movies, they drive what they have.
The following 2 users liked this post by juniorbean:
gnuts (11-18-2014), Sarlacc (11-18-2014)
Old 11-18-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
another great Scott Long Thread......
Old 11-18-2014, 09:15 AM
2024 Honda Civic Type R

Received 1,454 Likes on 923 Posts
This thread was ruined from the start.

Was it moved from the TLX subforum?
Old 11-18-2014, 09:28 AM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,568 Likes on 985 Posts
Now picture if you owned a truck that stuck just 1 foot out of your spot. Add that to his 4 feet sticking out and you literally may block a mini van from getting through.
This happens at my work daily. Add freight trucks to the mix 3-4 times a day and you have a ton of shit hanging over a really big fan.
I was parked in a garage where on one side next to me was a F-250 Crew Cab and then across the aisle on the same side was another Crew Cab 2500 Chevy.

So when I was backing out, I had a hell of a time actually getting out of the spot without hitting someone or being hit. Both trucks stuck out so far that someone driving down the aisle had to drive in the middle. And in one direction I was completely obscured from the driver because of the length and height of these trucks.

F-250 Crew Cabs should not be parking in spots designed for an Accord.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
As others have said, "flagship" does NOT equate to sales.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by justnspace
another great Scott Long Thread......
At first I was like, who is this guy? Then I saw where the thread came from...
Old 11-19-2014, 11:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
You should get a better perspective of where I am coming from before making asinine judgement calls based on an overly sweeping comment I had later rectified.

I understand SOME PEOPLE around here need them. Believe me; I do. I live right up next to a few ranches, have a couple friends that work in making props and most transport large equipment and finished pieces, and I myself work at a gun range and more than once have had to drive either the owners RV or our truck to transport equipment and product to and from trade shows.

I GET THAT.

What I don't get is why these people then take these huge vehicles, vehicles they bought for work, to the local movie theater, or Olive Garden, or the gym.
Then further more feel they can fit these huge vehicles in the small spaces right up front.
naw, your prospective is wrong, you are trying to force your views on others and I am sure if you could get a law passed, you would.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:14 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
At first I was like, who is this guy? Then I saw where the thread came from...
Damnit, Im sorry JB.

I promise I wont leave the gate open any more
Old 11-20-2014, 09:21 AM
Senior Moderator

^
Old 11-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
ScottLong = Tommy8888

Thread makes sense now.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:28 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
ScottLong = Tommy8888
Old 11-22-2014, 04:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Costco
Well I knew it too but I needed proof first
The following users liked this post:
Costco (11-22-2014)
Old 11-24-2014, 07:22 AM
Stage 1 Audi S5

Received 1,157 Likes on 682 Posts
This is why I like having a company car, you park like a douche, I'll squeeze in right next to you.

The other day a dodge magnum on 30's (I know because the fenders and back windows told me they were 30s) parked in a PACKED lot way over the line and I squeezed in after many laps around the lot. A security guard came over and said he saw that guy all day and it pissed him off that he parked like that. He applauded the fact that I backed in next to this dude's driver's door and he would have to climb in the passenger side but then I felt like a dick ha

Now what about Flagships?
Old 11-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
are suvs/cuvs more practical?

Sure

Do 9/10 actually intend to use such cargo space? No....

Reminds me every time I go to homedepot/lowes and see all those contractors with their f150s. They never haul anything with it, yet just use it to go from jobsite to jobsite, and I live in the midwest. No hills for miles.