Television: Top Gear (UK) News and Discussion Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 09:57 PM
Lots of JDM parts on my

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't care what that guy says.. I love my Z.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:08 PM
Old timer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by zeroday
ok that makes torqueholic, jrock, and silverbullet....i think we're missing a few other resident Z haters aren't we?
:w-hat:

I'm just saying I agree with the review. I test drove a Z and came away with similar impressions - didn't like the handling, don't like the sound of NA V6s, and didn't like the interior.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:13 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by SilverBullet
Ummm whatever your dreaming.
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...an#post1124565
Well, they are stating there opinion. And all I can say is they aren't lieing. The quality that Nissan has left from 1994 to now, sucks.
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/newre...postid=1125135
Lets see here. There are MANY build quality problems since 1995 that Nissan got cheap on. Too many to list on every car. So I won't. The G35 has cheap materials compared to its competition. It may not have problems right now, but its not built with the best quality stuff.
owned?
Old 12-22-2003, 10:24 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by JRock
- didn't like the handling,
yeah the z handles terribly.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by cusdaddy
He's wrong on so many points (the VQ is not a Renault engine) and he just uses his bias against American cars with his belief that the Z was designed for Americans. What does a Corvette crashing have to do with the Z?
actually you are very wrong. check it, RENAULT=nissan! renault bought nissan a few years back, from the virge of bankrupcy. they own like 80% of nissan, or something rediculous like that. Notice how nissan/infiniti has pumped out a shit load of cars the last 3 years? yep thats renault money for ya. :P renault brains, renault r&d, and nissan loot. sorry, but jeremy clarkson is correct.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Race Director

Originally posted by goat
actually you are very wrong. check it, RENAULT=nissan! renault bought nissan a few years back, from the virge of bankrupcy. they own like 80% of nissan, or something rediculous like that. Notice how nissan/infiniti has pumped out a shit load of cars the last 3 years? yep thats renault money for ya. :P renault brains, renault r&d, and nissan loot. sorry, but jeremy clarkson is correct.
IBTB
Old 12-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Banned

Originally posted by zigzagzig
you can definitely tell he was biased with his review. on another episode of top gear i have, the rx-8 and the 350z did the EXACT same track time; and fatty said he LOVED the rx-8.
why is that a surprise? fatty loves high revving 4 bangers, and picked the S2000 against the boxter and Z4 in a recent comparo posted on this board. oh and fatty, can do things you wish your granny can do behind the wheels of a car.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Torquey: You are completely wrong in so many areas:

1. Renault owns 36%-44% (depending on source) of Nissan. They have a minority stake in the business. They don't own 80%
http://www.renault.com/gb/groupe/alliances_p1.htm

2. The VQ series engine is a Nissan (Japanese) design. It dates back before part of Nissan was bought by Renault. Both the 3.0L and 3.5L versions

3. It has absolutely nothing to do with Renault R&D. The VQ engine dates back to before 1994.

Why do you keep making such ridiculious statements over and over again????

The only reason why Clarkson made that un-informed statement is because a Renault car in Europe (the Vel Satis) uses the VQ, so he ignorantly said it's a French engine. It's like saying that since Saturn uses the Honda 3.5L engine in the Vue, it's a GM engine.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:33 PM
Banned

IBTB
KNOCK IT OFF, and quit being a jackass! we are trying to discuss the 350Z like men, so stop the kindergarten stuff. :o
Old 12-22-2003, 10:34 PM
Race Director

KNOCK IT OFF, and quit being a jackass! we are trying to discuss the 350Z like men, so stop the kindergarten stuff. :o
IBTBH
Old 12-22-2003, 10:37 PM
Banned

Z FANS: they were harsh on the Z, so CRY ME A RIVER, BUILD A BRIDGE AND GET OVER IT!

you think thats harsh? you haven't even seen harsh from top gear! tiff in his review gave the NSX a proper tongue lashing! saying: "its not a supercar" "these days any ol' moron straps an engine to a car and yells supercar", "but its a V6", " the handling doesn't give the driver much control........its not letting me have any fun". In another episode, that short dude and clarkson double teamed the NSX type R, and took turns with the sodomy!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by lou
everything that idiot was saying is pure OPINION....oooh the exhaust is hurting my ear....and look the buttons feel plasticy..they hurt my fingers oooh.

I better not go any faster my ears will hurt and I cant even carry my dog poopsie with me when Im driving the Z

and it doesnt feel fast....are you fucking kidding me the #s dont lie. Everything he said was an opinion and I take it for what it is nothing but an opinion of an old america hating european that should be driving a Renualt.
jeremy is a guy who has driven the pagani zonda, mclaren FI, enzo, koeingsegg, mucierlago, gallardo..........and the list goes on. so YES to HIM the engine sounds like shit, and the car doesn't feel fast! when you come from a near 1000HP bugatti last week, a 287hp car is slow!
Old 12-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Suzuka Master

man thats some serious hating by top gear....
Old 12-22-2003, 11:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wtf is he calling it a "zed" for? dumb ass limeys
Old 12-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Suzuka Master

It's an opinion, don't get your panties bunched up. Jeremy isn't the absolute authority when it comes to automotive testing. In fact, I feel that the guy really doesn't know what the hell he is talking about the majority of the time. This test shows his ignorance, so don't really listen to it. .
Old 12-22-2003, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

WOW, lots of misinformation here. Why do you have to act like a moron the majority of the time?
Old 12-22-2003, 11:26 PM
Under the radar

TOP GEAR wasn't the only review that knocked the 350Z's cheap interior, weight and tiresome city driving habits. The 350Z is a compromise vehicle. It's a nice car, just not a razor sharp sports coupe. I was left ambivalent after my test drive. It's obvious why people get upset when someone knocks on something they spent over $30+K on. The reviewer made some valid points and as ALL the car press seems to do, they make it more dramatic for the ratings. Big deal. If you love your Z good for you.

Does anyone really know the history of the VQ engine? Nissan has designed and built engines with Renault (mainly the four bangers).
Old 12-22-2003, 11:27 PM
Race Director

If you guys read between the lines, he's hating on cars with american origins...and the comment about the 'favorite' american car is a rolling couch or something to that effect...the guys an asshole.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Under the radar

If you guys read between the lines, he's hating on cars with american origins...and the comment about the 'favorite' american car is a rolling couch or something to that effect...the guys an asshole.
Here we go. He said Americans seem to prefer big couches. Can you really disagree? Do the Europeans have a love affair with or the ability to afford the gas for H2s, Suburbans, Armadas and the like? No. Europeans drive smaller, more efficient cars out of necessity. We in the US have more space, cheaper gas and "bigger is better" mentality and the monster cars/trucks/SUVs are MUCH bigger sellers here.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by CLSter

Does anyone really know the history of the VQ engine? Nissan has designed and built engines with Renault (mainly the four bangers).
The VQ was originally desgined for the German Touring Series, which was cancelled in the early 90's IIRC. The engine first showed up in a production car in the 4th gen Maxima.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Europeans drive smaller, more efficient cars out of necessity. We in the US have more space, cheaper gas and bigger and the monster cars/trucks/SUVs are MUCH bigger sellers here.
they're just bitter their country is smaller than my state.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:35 PM
Race Director

TOP GEAR wasn't the only review that knocked the 350Z's cheap interior, weight and tiresome city driving habits. The 350Z is a compromise vehicle. It's a nice car, just not a razor sharp sports coupe. I was left ambivalent after my test drive. It's obvious why people get upset when someone knocks on something they spent over $30+K on. The reviewer made some valid points and as ALL the car press seems to do, they make it more dramatic for the ratings. Big deal. If you love your Z good for you.

so the best motoring videos where the z beats the e-46 m3 around the track were rigged i guess? i mean...how can a car that's not razor sharp outhandle an m3? the Z is an amazing handler on the track. I find very few compromises in this car. much fewer than i did in my CL. just addressing your comment about it not being a 'razor sharp' sports coupe.

Oh and btw car of the year by one mag last year, and one more this year. I'd say that's pretty damn good for a 'compromise vehicle' LOL
Old 12-22-2003, 11:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Here we go. He said Americans seem to prefer big couches. Can you really disagree? Do the Europeans have a love affair with or the ability to afford the gas for H2s, Suburbans, Armadas and the like? No. Europeans drive smaller, more efficient cars out of necessity. We in the US have more space, cheaper gas and bigger and the monster cars/trucks/SUVs are MUCH bigger sellers here.
I kinda agree with what you are saying, but Jeremy once said that Americans only know how to make things that go in a straight line. I guess he forgot about the Z06, Viper, etc. Tiff on TopGear is a much better source, too bad he doesn't do a lot more testing. If you watch him drive, you can see how much of an amatuer Jeremy is.
Old 12-22-2003, 11:51 PM
Mazda3 and Honda Civic in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by danny25
they're just bitter their country is smaller than my state.

I like the G35 better but I love both cars. I will check out the review when I get home
Old 12-22-2003, 11:57 PM
Under the radar

so the best motoring videos where the z beats the e-46 m3 around the track were rigged i guess? i mean...how can a car that's not razor sharp outhandle an m3? the Z is an amazing handler on the track. I find very few compromises in this car. much fewer than i did in my CL. just addressing your comment about it not being a 'razor sharp' sports coupe.

Oh and btw car of the year by one mag last year, and one more this year. I'd say that's pretty damn good for a 'compromise vehicle' LOL
Can I use my earlier quote?: "The reviewer made some valid points and as ALL the car press seems to do, they make it more dramatic for the ratings. Big deal. If you love your Z good for you."

Besides, the Toyota Prius and the Lancer Evo won "Car of the Year" awards this year as well... So?
Old 12-23-2003, 12:02 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Jeremy Clarkson is a horse's ass. The asshat ragged on a Lotus' handling then the one of the guys who worked on the car shut his fucking fat face up when he showed him how to drive the car. And that waste of carbon actually called the R34 GTR a "rancid porkchop". What an arrogant, self-absorbed piece of shit. I would like nothing more than to put my fist through the back of his head.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:15 AM
Under the radar

Originally posted by fahoumh
Jeremy Clarkson is a horse's ass. The asshat ragged on a Lotus' handling then the one of the guys who worked on the car shut his fucking fat face up when he showed him how to drive the car. And that waste of carbon actually called the R34 GTR a "rancid porkchop". What an arrogant, self-absorbed piece of shit. I would like nothing more than to put my fist through the back of his head.
I would love to see that! Do you have a link? He does seems to enjoy himself too much.

I see a future as a reviewer for you.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Maximized
I kinda agree with what you are saying, but Jeremy once said that Americans only know how to make things that go in a straight line. I guess he forgot about the Z06, Viper, etc. Tiff on TopGear is a much better source, too bad he doesn't do a lot more testing. If you watch him drive, you can see how much of an amatuer Jeremy is.
Tiff moved onto a new British show called 5th Gear. It's a much better show IMO and his Z review was much more fair and balanced.

Here's the link to Tiff's review of the Z:

http://www.provtech.co.uk/350z/Tiff350z.wmv (sorry about the poor quality)

I think it's a much better review... See for yourself
Old 12-23-2003, 12:36 AM
Shogun Assassin

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would love to see that! Do you have a link? He does seems to enjoy himself too much.

I see a future as a reviewer for you.
it was here: http://www.lotusfury.com/mov/topgears2.mov but was taken down....it's an old link. I tried finding it on google but nothing turned up.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:06 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

2004 Nissan 350Z Base

MSRP $26,910
Invoice $25,203

It is a 25k car. You get a lot for 25k.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:08 AM
Old timer

What? You just posted that it's a $27k car.

Also I don't know anyone that buys the base model or even ever seen any base models available at dealerships.

yeah the z handles terribly.
I'm including in handling its road-holding ability and ride quality. It is too bouncy and awkward. Sorry.

I'm sorry I can't have a different opinion of the car than you.

-----------------------------------------------------

Also in general I find Jeremy Clarkson to be a horses ass as well. Tiff's ten times the man (and driver) he is.
That's why I was surprised by Clarkson's 350Z review which seemed to be pretty honest. Anyone can fawn over a car. Very few reviews ever tell you how they really feel. And all the fanboys will rant and rave either way.
Tiff's review is nice but all it did was show it going up and down this one road while he talked about how he likes it without getting into more descriptive and technical details.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:32 AM
Old timer

Uh the new Toyota Prius got car of the year from a magazine this year as well.

You need to relax and stop being so uptight and defensive. It's not like you're going to sell us on buying a Z just because you say it's great yet we actually drove it and found it to be "okay".
Old 12-23-2003, 07:52 AM
Banned

Where do you see me saying I hate nissan?! You didn't own me. You just backed me up with the same stuff I just posted here that the quality sucks in most new nissans.

Banned

The VQ was designed by Nissan, not Renault.

Suzuka Master

Originally posted by danny25
wtf is he calling it a "zed" for? dumb ass limeys
Normal English (British) pronunciation for individual characters.

Not unlike them saying Not to 60 instead of us saying 0 - 60.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:54 AM
Old timer

That's "naught".
Old 12-23-2003, 07:57 AM
Find beauty in dissonance

What? You just posted that it's a $27k car.

Also I don't know anyone that buys the base model or even ever seen any base models available at dealerships.
A Z can cost a pretty . However, it does not gain much in performance, value, or quality for another $16k you could spend.

There is one at Carmax now (Stock Number: 2115652), drive away today for $25,498 plus tax and title.

I don't know many people who drive their car around a track like the guy in the video. And if they did, a base model + 13k > track model. The Z has become an image car, like most other vehicles.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Razor sharp does not denominate road holding prowess. It is about the feel and not ultimate grip. Many cars are capable of being driven fast but require more concentration to do so.

Take the Viper versus Z06 comparison. The Viper is ultimately faster with a competent driver but the Z06 is easier to go fast in and may turn better lap times with a marginal driver.

The Z does handle well but does sacrifice around town comfort not to mention interior room. The M3 is comfortable around town with a full trunk and a back seat. These are just variations in design intentions and cost factors which bring up another point:

Are you talking about compromises or design intentions?? You end up mentioning the CL in this thread which has no relevance to the CL. I assume to make a point?? What are those compromises?? Did you purchase the CL with the illusion that it would provide what you found in the Z?? IMO, the CL does great at what it was intended to do; but not outside of that and I would characterize the limitations as design intentions. The 350Z is also a great car for what it was intended. But there is no real common ground between the two cars.
Old 12-23-2003, 08:07 AM
Suzuka Master

That's "naught".
We are in the USA right now

In fact, at one time I was unsure what they were saying and had to ask an Irish secretary of our what they said. :o
Old 12-23-2003, 08:12 AM
Old timer

Originally posted by Bluto
A Z can cost a pretty .
Right and you certainly can't buy one new for $25k. Especially since most Nissan dealerships are trying to play a faux game of limited production to charge full or above sticker price.

However, it does not gain much in performance, value, or quality for another $16k you could spend.

What does that have to do with what I was talking about? All I commented on was you saying $25k when the price you quoted says $27k?

There is one at Carmax now (Stock Number: 2115652), drive away today for $25,498 plus tax and title.

That's a used car.

The Z has become an image car, like most other vehicles.

Yes and considerin its ugly stock front end (I've seen a kit that makes it look so much better) and overall bland, egg-like/TT-like appearance, it has no appeal to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Television: Top Gear (UK) News and Discussion Thread