Draining a gas tank????

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 11:12 PM
SSM Accord V6 6 Spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Draining a gas tank????

Hey all,
My friend just got himself a fairly cheap car and is working on putting it back together. He's gotten everything together and everything seems to be fine, but it won't start up. He thinks it may be bad gas, since the gas is about 5 years old. He's tried putting denatured alcohol, octane booster, and a whole bunch of other stuff in, but with no luck.

What would be a good container to drain the gas in and how would we do it? Also, once we get that done, where in the hell do we put it?
Old 05-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
That's a tough question, but I know what you're trying to do (avoid pulling the tank).

I've used a siphon kit from wallmart (under 10 bucks). I was dealing with good gas, so I put it in my 2 gallon container that I use for the lawn mower.

You're probably going to need a bigger tank, but I'm not sure what to do with the old stuff.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:35 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You need a siphon. If the gas is 5 years old, you need to replace the fuel filter if you just tried to start it... Guaranteed it collected some gunk, fuel injectors are probably a bit nasty too. Fuel pump is probably nasty as well... Plugs are probably gunked up ... water in the tank and fuel lines... Might take a bit of hard running before it's back to "normal"

gas goes bad in < 1yr. 5 years it's no longer "gas"

Call the city, ask them for hazardous waste disposal. Same place your *suppose* to discard automotive batteries. They will usually be able to come to your house for a small fee. Sometimes it's free. Explain to them you have bad gasoline.

The correct way of doing this would have been to drain everything before you try starting the car... he already screwed up by trying to start it with that "gas". He should siphon the tank as much as possible then take the tank off and drain it 100%. Disconnect the fuel lines and blow them out with a air compressor. He needs to get all of that crap out of the system...

good luck...