Credit Union Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2017, 01:56 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Credit Union Extended Warranty?

Just purchased the GF a Santa Fe Sport 13 with 59k miles not knowing that Hyundai doesn't transfer the FULL powertrain warranty- instead it ends at 5yr/60k.

I've heard mixed things about Hyundai with there engines and she wanted that vehicle + got a good deal on it.

Anyone have any experience with a credit union extended warranty? I am not going to with an aftermarket (third-party/unknown) warranty because they're usually sketchy and tend to not cover things at the end. Credit union seems less likely to do this.
Old 02-24-2017, 03:42 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
More than likely the warranty offered to you by the Credit Union is from a 3rd party and not the manufacturer. I generally avoid warranties but that's just my choice.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Most of the ones offered by the bank/credit unions are the same 3rd party ones offered at the dealers. Read the fine print. Most have a 100/200 deductible, most are like bronze, silver, gold coverage and depending on what plan you get is what it covers so you will want to read the breakdown/list. My dad has a 10 genesis with 205k miles on it and the only thing he has ever done as far as maintenance is oil changes every 7500-10k miles. Every other fluid on the vehicle is original. My moms 13 Tucson has 78k miles and it has been the same, only oil changes. Both vehicles have been rock solid.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:10 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Wife's 2012 Sonata 2.0T (purchased in 2011) is at 80,000 miles, and hasn't skipped a beat. In total, I've spent under $175 on repairs for the car, since the day it was purchased. One TSB that was addressed for free that related to the electronic wastegate programming. And one failed turbo oil feed line, that started leaking about 8 months ago and subsequently was replaced. I would've done it myself and saved $90, but I thought the issue was something completely different (and much more messy). Turns out it was something super easy to fix.

beyond that, like fsttyms said, just basic maintenance. Wipers, oil changes, air filters and I think that's really it.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Just purchased the GF a Santa Fe Sport 13 with 59k miles not knowing that Hyundai doesn't transfer the FULL powertrain warranty- instead it ends at 5yr/60k.

I've heard mixed things about Hyundai with there engines and she wanted that vehicle + got a good deal on it.

Anyone have any experience with a credit union extended warranty? I am not going to with an aftermarket (third-party/unknown) warranty because they're usually sketchy and tend to not cover things at the end. Credit union seems less likely to do this.
A reputable company is all you need! I paid about 10K for my Fidelity Warranty on my 760 and it's paid out over 50K in repairs through various BMW dealers. I've heard great things from the BMW community about Mercury and not so great things about CARCHEX.

You might have to spend 2-3K on a good warranty. Look for an EXCLUSION PLAN! These list what is NOT covered and are the best warranties you can buy. These cover nearly every item in the car. If you need a new trans, that's going to be 2K easy. Warranty is a no brainer IMO.
Old 02-25-2017, 05:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 687 Posts
Speaking from recent experience, csmeance is absolutely, 100% on point! Buy a warranty that tells what they won't cover and spend the extra dough on it. Mine saved me $10,000 worth of work for only $2,400.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:26 PM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
The dealership tried to make me sign up for the Mechanic extended warranty. Supposedly, it covers EVERYTHING minus basic wear and tear and damages caused by accidents/weather. It is priced @ $2200 and I THINK I can negotiate that (even though it was not mentioned). RBFCU (the credit union) does use National Auto Warranty for the warranty even though it is not noted until you sign the vehicle service contract.

I'll check up on Fidelity. Thanks

The Santa Fe had all its maintenance up to par according to CarFax (all through dealership), so I may end up just throwing $100 each month into a savings account just for future repairs. May check on extended warranty on a B8 S4 I am lookin at though.