2017 Santa Fe. Good cheap car.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 11:24 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
2017 Santa Fe. Good cheap car.

I just had the chance to drive recently the new Santa Fe 2017 model which I got for a rental, and thought I should let you guys know what I felt.

I took the Santa Fe since that was the only car available in the location at that time. I opened the trunk lid and was astonished at how small the cargo area is compared to my RDX ... but quickly realized that it had a third row of seats up .... 1+ to Santa Fe.
Overall the exterior lines look sharp, interior was a melee of blue lights and sort of looked modern on first impression.
Sitting and driving however felt a little pedestrian. There was some engine noise and road noise typical of a four banger CUV/ SUV. The steering wheel felt sort of okay. The acceleration was also little muted as in a four cylinder engine. There are some soft touch materials on top of the dash / door but even they felt too firm than soft. I was kind of getting used to it but had to return it.
Now from the airport I got back into my RDX, that is when I felt the difference, as in how quiet, hushed, comfortable and powerful the RDX is. My wife also commented on the same thing before I even said anything. The seats felt so good after sitting in the Hyundai for a few days. We were almost relieved to be back in the RDX. I thought the V6 engine had made a big difference in RDX, until I went home and checked the specs of Santa Fe. It has a V6 engine as standard too...WTH. How did they manage mess it up so much?
Don't get me wrong. The car is a nice car for the intended audience, but why does the V6 engine feel like a four banger? It is coarse, loud, had less power and now I found out it has less mpgs as well. Goodness grief..
I'm sorry folks...I understand all those supporters and fans of Hyundai about how good it is now and hear how it is better value than Acura. But they are simply missing that there is something different in Acura. and it's not just the badge. And no amount of electronics , blue tooth toys or smart phone integration can change the fundamental / mechanical comfort of a car.
From what I understand, Hyundai cars even though improved from yesteryears; do not fare well enough to compete a comparable Honda, forget about Acura. Sure they are cheaper to buy than Acura, but you get what you pay for.

Last edited by Comfy; 01-21-2017 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,273 Likes on 3,050 Posts
You sure you did not have the Santa Fe Sport as rental?

While some V6s are slow but i had never mistaken a 6 cylinders for a 4 cylinders.

If the 3.3L from the Santa Fe is the same one in the Genesis, then it is very smooth and quick.

but of course you get what you paid for and a lot of people prefer to pay a lot less than Acura to get the Hyundai.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:30 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a fyi, I saw a crash test of the new Santa Fe in person and it did very well.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:01 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by oonowindoo
You sure you did not have the Santa Fe Sport as rental?

While some V6s are slow but i had never mistaken a 6 cylinders for a 4 cylinders.

If the 3.3L from the Santa Fe is the same one in the Genesis, then it is very smooth and quick.

but of course you get what you paid for and a lot of people prefer to pay a lot less than Acura to get the Hyundai.
Does the Santa Fe sport come with three row seat option? The car I had had three rows... I tried to sit in the third row..it was very difficult to access and uncomfortable to sit in.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfy
Does the Santa Fe sport come with three row seat option? The car I had had three rows... I tried to sit in the third row..it was very difficult to access and uncomfortable to sit in.
Not in Canada or the U.S it doesn't. It did have the 3.3l you were correct. Also the santa fe does not share the same engine with the Genesis. That engine is also not a 3.3l, it is a 3.8l. I'm suprised you found it sluggish comfy, from what I read it is fairly competent and that motor specifically is supposed to be really torquey. Could have just been a dud because it was a rental.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:29 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
If its the same 3.3 they use in the kia sorento...its a shitty anemic engine...or their transmission was junk.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 869 Likes on 665 Posts
Originally Posted by Sarlacc
If its the same 3.3 they use in the kia sorento...its a shitty anemic engine...or their transmission was junk.
I don't know, my impressions were different but of course this is all personal. We own a 2009 santa fe with an older generation of the current DI 3.3l. It also has a 3.3l V6 making but this one makes 242 hp vs the 290hp of the nee one and it feels more lively at low rpms than my MDX does. Granted there are more factors at play than HP such as transmission and weight..etc.

Before the current 3.3l they had a port iniected 3.5l making 276hp, kinda wish they kept that displacement and added DI to get to 300+hp.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
No no... I'm pretty sure the Santa Fe can be had in a 3 row configuration. Hyundai used to have a bigger SUV but they killed it off and gave the Hyundai a 3rd row option. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the Sport is the two row option.

however... You were driving a rental car, which likely means it's nothing special in terms of trim levels. At best, you're only get half way up the trim ladder.
The following users liked this post:
00TL-P3.2 (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 11:51 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Edit: yeah, the 3 row Snata Fe is the "XL". Otherwise the 2 row Santa Fe is the "Sport"
Old 02-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I'm sorry folks...I understand all those supporters and fans of Hyundai about how good it is now and hear how it is better value than Acura. But they are simply missing that there is something different in Acura. and it's not just the badge. And no amount of electronics , blue tooth toys or smart phone integration can change the fundamental / mechanical comfort of a car.
From what I understand, Hyundai cars even though improved from yesteryears; do not fare well enough to compete a comparable Honda, forget about Acura. Sure they are cheaper to buy than Acura, but you get what you pay for.
Is this even a valid comparison? Your RDX Tech AWD starts at $40,770 today. The base RDX starts at $35,670. In contrast, the Santa Fe Sport starts at $25,350 which was likely what you drove since it was a rental. For the $10,320 to $15,420 price difference, I really do hope that you noticed the differences.
fsttyms1 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 11:01 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
Is this even a valid comparison? Your RDX Tech AWD starts at $40,770 today. The base RDX starts at $35,670. In contrast, the Santa Fe Sport starts at $25,350 which was likely what you drove since it was a rental. For the $10,320 to $15,420 price difference, I really do hope that you noticed the differences.
There are people who will try to tell you Hyundais are better than Acuras and make that comparison all the time on here. The thing is, up until the founding of the Genesis brand, there were really two Hyundais. The upscale part that became Genesis competes very well with Acura. The Santa Fe in question is not part of that section.
Comfy (02-19-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 09:44 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
I understand this is not a valid comparison. But this was all I had to compare (unfortunately I don't have a CRV). I value my experiences with a car (and I'm sure most people do the same) more than what the auto experts and journalists write about a car. As pointed in the previous post, there are several members and threads trying to convince that Hyundais are better than RDX in every way. But that is their opinion. I just wrote my experience which may be different than your's. But I welcome your opinions as well.
Now with regards to price of the car, every person has different sweet spot in his/ her mind. The car manufacturers know that and price / spec their vehicles accordingly.

Last edited by Comfy; 02-19-2017 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I understand this is not a valid comparison. But this was all I had to compare (unfortunately I don't have a CRV). I value my experiences with a car (and I'm sure most people do the same) more than what the auto experts and journalists write about a car. As pointed in the previous post, there are several members and threads trying to convince that Hyundais are better than RDX in every way. But that is their opinion. I just wrote my experience which may be different than your's. But I welcome your opinions as well.
Now with regards to price of the car, every person has different sweet spot in his/ her mind. The car manufacturers know that and price / spec their vehicles accordingly.
I havent seen several threads where people were comparing the Hyundais to the RDX.. I have seen Threads comparing the Genesis to the TL/TLX/RLX where it DOES have upscale soft touch materials/leathers, quiet, plenty of power. Is Hyundai in general up to Acura... No, Are they catching up fast YES. Are they the car company of 10 years ago? No... Hyundai has a plan, The Genesis line. There will soon be SUV/CUVs added to it and i can guarantee they will make large strides getting closer to or even surpassing Acura. Just watch, they have a plan, a direction. The same cant be totally said for Acura. (hopefully that changes)
00TL-P3.2 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
Now Genesis motors just needs to change its logo. That Aston/Chrysler love child ain't doing it for me.